5.0 out of 5 stars Five Star at the very least
I had never heard "The Hunting Of The Snark" but had wanted to for years and I missed the 1991 edition. There are reviews of the music and performances elsewhere on Amazon; I can only say that since receiving it yesterday I have played it six times in a row. I really can't remember the last time I did that, and I buy a lot of music.

The whole package is top...
Published on 2 Nov 2010 by D. J. Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not work
I was really looking forward to this but the DVD did not work and so it was returned for a refund. As it was the only one left I could not be sent a replacement so I still don't know what it is like!!
Published 24 months ago by Mr. P. R. Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Review - Hunting of the Snark, 12 April 2013
This review is from: The Hunting Of The Snark From The Mike Batt Archive Series (CD+DVD Set) (Audio CD)
The original CD is great but In some instances Video actors not up to the same standard as the CD

4.0 out of 5 stars CD is great, 7 Mar 2013
The CD is excellent, but the DVD will not play on any of my 5 players, and I have never had this occurarro to die for! before. It doesn't seem to have a "region code", though these codes have never been a problem in the past. Getting back to the CD - this was new to me and I loved it, the quality is fabulous as are the performers and it certainly compensated for the DVD. I still have a video tape of the concert - taken from local TV, so I'm not missing out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful show, 1 Mar 2013
We had watched this on TV many years ago. When our DVD arrived we watched it again straight-away. The music and singers are absolutely wonderful and were exactly as we remembered them. Mike Batt has done a great job with this. The music 'goes round in your head' for days afterwards, if you're made like that! Would recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mike Batt - Eccentric or Genius?!, 11 Feb 2013
Mr. R. V. Malin (Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
Watching Mike Batt's face as he conducts the LSO (who are all wearing stripey sailor style t-shirts!) you are left wondering if the man is a genius or a nut-case! However, it's obvious he is the former, even if the story and the words are utter nonsense! (Was Lewis Carroll a genius or a nut-case?!)
Sometimes a bit of nonsense is just what we need these days. The quality of the recording (on CD & DVD) is excellent considering this was recorded over 25 years ago. The sound is very good and does justice to the sound of the full orchestra which on this occasion was augmented with big band and rock musicians. Mike was clearly in his element as he conducts his way through the various songs. Seeing the joy on Billy Connolly's face and the obvious interplay between the other singers leaves you thinking that they must have had a lot of fun rehearsing and performing this piece. John Hurt's performance as the narrator (on the DVD) takes his part with a seriousness that shows just what a professional he really is!

I love these sort of shows that are pure fantasy and have a genuine 'feel good' factor. (My family think I am mad so I usually end up banished to my office to watch such things!)

I was not familiar with this work until my sister sent me a link to a Youtube excerpt. Having ordered the DVD/CD set I was soon disappointed that the DVD wouldn't play properly on my DVD player (freezing and pixelating), though it did play a little better on my PC, though not without some serious glitches. Although I purchased this item from Amazon I contacted the record company (Dramatico) direct and they kindly sent me a new DVD disc. Unfortunately this too has some serious errors but not until much later in the concert. I have lost the will now in terms of seeking a refund and the CD plays perfectly. I will try the DVD in my other DVD players around the house and hope I might find one that is a little more forgiving of my faulty discs. I've found previously that some discs will play perfectly well on some machines and not on others.

I hope that Dramatico can sort the quality issues on this disc. I have awarded my 5 stars purely for the composition/performance. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Brilliance. Mike Batt is a genius!, 5 Feb 2013
This is a masterpiece which many have never heard of.

It's hard to accept, when considering what must have taken years to complete, that it had so little exposure.

I was just lucky to see the original broadcast and to tape it onto my Sony C7 BetaMax.

I bought the cassette as soon as it was released and it has been played to death.

Now I am lucky to have searched at the right time and bought it via Amazon two weeks ago.
It is simply spectacular.

Following problem is that on my recommendation, and seeing You Tube clips, a friend and her brother both ordered it straight away.

Neither of their DVDs would play although the brother managed to play his on his PC, which is most strange!

This is a known problem, and I just hope they will sort it out, and re-issue, as it is very disappointing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mike Batt, Hunting of the Snark, 5 Feb 2013
A bit nostalgic, but a wonderful DVD to watch and listen to - and included CD, with some minor variation in artists - also great.

4.0 out of 5 stars disappointed in product, 4 Feb 2013
I love the Hunting of the Snark! I saw it in London many years ago and thought it was great! I couldn't believe it when I saw that there was a dvd as well as a cd - which I obviously have already got. However, I was really enjoing the dvd when it stuck at the end of track 8 and wouldn't play any further. I've had to return it and there wasn't the choice to have a replacement. So I am a bit wary of ordering again in case I get the same one back. Hence being dsappointed in the prodct itself

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not work, 20 Dec 2012
Mr. P. R. Smith (Devon) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT MIKE BATT, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: Hunting of the Snark (Audio CD)
THIS MUSIC IS A FANTASTIC PIECE OF BRILLIANCE, EACH SONG OR PIECE OF MUSIC TELLS THE STORY
OF THE SNARK MY ALL OUT FAVOURITE

5.0 out of 5 stars Snark, 3 Dec 2012
M. Cowell - See all my reviews
Both the CD and DVD are excellent in my opinion I have played them both on numerous occasions and really enjoy them.