5.0 out of 5 stars Pentax K-5 - Superb Camera
I've now owned the K-5 for about three months and in that time the experience has been nothing short of joyous! There is nothing this camera cannot do (in photographic terms) and the image quality it produces is second to none as far as APS-C DSLR's are concerned.

A few things the K-5 has going for it:

- Great build quality, all metal construction,...
Published 23 months ago by D. Storm

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor service
A waste of time and money. Returned at Amazon's request, but would have gone back anyway. Their carrier left the package at the wrong address and accepted a false signature. I complained. The camera was delivered, but was unable to focus properly and as Amazon refunded me without being asked to, it was returned, unlamented. I bought the Nikon equivalent from Jessops...
Published 17 months ago by Charlie McNeilly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Pentax K-5 - Superb Camera, 15 May 2012
D. Storm (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pentax K-5 DSLR + SMC DA 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 AL WR Lens (Electronics)

A few things the K-5 has going for it:

- Great build quality, all metal construction, fully weather-sealed
- Very quiet and smooth shutter - this won't scare the birds or induce camera-shake
- As stated above, fantastic image quality, virtually no noise up to 1600 ISO and very little intrusive noise right up to 6400, brilliant vibrant colours (not overblown)
- Absolutely SUPERB with old manual aperture / manual focus lenses, exposure is spot-on
- A huge range of quality lenses to choose from, as the K-mount is compatible with all Pentax fit lenses back to the '70's
- Stupendous value for money, beats price-equivalent Canon and Nikon models hands down
- Excellent 18-55mm kit lens
- Fast and accurate autofocus
- Huge range of menu options and configurable settings
- Great ergonomics - I do not agree with one of the previous reviews that it is not as good as Canon in this regard

What don't I like? I cannot honestly think of anything significant. This camera is superbly designed and made. I have had no quality issues, no sensor stains, no freezing or locking up and no autofocus issues. It has made my collection of older lenses a pleasure to use (Tamron Adaptamatic 300mm F5.6, SMC Takumar 135mm F3.5, Pentax-M 28mm F3.5, Sigma 50mm F2.8 Macro and more) and the newer Pentax autofocus lenses have legendary image quality and perform brilliantly on this camera (DA L 55-300, DA 16-45, DA L 18-55).

I would not sell or swap this camera for anything currently on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars great camera, 12 Jan 2012
I have upgraded from a Pentax K10D which was great but lacked the low light ability I was after. I have been thrilled with the results from the K5 at night, even the 16oo ISO seems better than the same with the K10 but going up to 3200 still doesn't seem to cause excessive noise. I don't tend to go above 3200 but even 6400 isn't bad quality, 12500 is quite noisy but allows exposure in dark situations but manual focus may be neccesary for this. I prefer the way the menu works to the K10D. I love the whole way the camera works and feels. Pentax have really come up trumps with this one. I find auto settings better than the K10 for indoor work. Only thing I think is a step back is the sd card slot cover which doesn't open enough to make getting the card out easily with finger and thumb. Seems designed for finger nails and/or thin fingers. But this is a minor gripe. I have only used video a couple of times and it takes practice as it is manual focus. If you can get the focus right it is good quality, will work under low light indoors but good bright lighting is ideal. So upgrading from a K10D to the K5 was a fantastic move for giving me more lowlight capability and many more usefull features. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb High Performance DSLR, 5 Jan 2012
Tom (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
The Pentax K5 is my second DSLR and replaced my much loved K100D which has done me proud for the last 4 years. Having taken hundreds of great photos with my K100D and learnt a lot about DSLR photography I felt it was time to step up to the next level to advance my photography. I certainly haven't been disappointed! The K5 is a superb piece of kit and rewards my efforts in a way the K100D couldn't.

I initially considered the K7 but eventually talked myself into the K5 and I'm glad I did. Although they look almost identical the new sensor in the K5 is quite possibly the best APS-C sensor currently available. The Nikon D7000 uses a similar sensor but it's nowhere near as good value at the moment, costing more than the K5 now despite being cheaper than the K5 when it was released. It has to be said that the K5 is truly excellent value for money (even without the 90 cashback currently being offered).

This good value is no doubt partly due to the strong competition from Nikon and Canon. Pentax DSLRs have been in the shadows a bit next to these popular brands, but there's absolutely no reason for it. In terms of performance, features and build quality Pentax are right up there with the K5 and it's clear that a lot of attention to detail has gone into its design.

Image quality is really impressive and I've been able to take great photos in difficult conditions. Conditions that would have meant a lot of deleted photos with my old camera. The kit lens seems good and has the advantage of making the camera fully weatherproof, but I've no doubt that the camera is capable of more. Unfortunately good lenses aren't cheap but I'd recommend getting a half decent prime lens if you only own the kit 18-55mm. I recently bought the Pentax SMC DA 35mm F/2.4 AL which only cost me 135 at the time and it takes noticably sharper images (nice bokeh too!).

Pros:

Superb low light performance with usable images upto 6400 ISO
Excellent dynamic range captures bags of detail
Best in class high speed continuous shooting (7fps)
1080p HD video
Best Pentax AF system to date
Good in-camera shake reduction system
Electronic levels and horizon correction
Excellent build quality
Good handling, ergonomic and compact
Fully weatherproof body and lens
Highly customisable
Loads of useful features (too many to go into here)
Long exposure astrophtography possible with the O-GPS1 hot shoe accessory

Cons:

I find it very hard to dislike anything about this camera. If I was pushed the only thing that comes to mind is that I'm not very keen on having to push the button on top of the dial to rotate it and the AF and AE dials are a bit fiddly. But I really am nit picking here!

Verdict:

The K5 is a sophisticated high performance DSLR that delivers outstanding image quality and it's currently excellent value for money compared to the competition. If you own any Pentax lenses or you're looking to upgrade from an older Pentax SLR it's a no-brainer, but I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a state-of-the-art DLSR than can produce stunning photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Pentax, 4 May 2011
M. S. Osman (SW UK) - See all my reviews
The Pentax K5 is a flagship DSLR that represents much development by Pentax/Sony/Samsung and possibly others over many years and previous models. Experienced photographers joined the Pentax-fit DSLR user groups, and took advantage of cameras built-in anti shake features and the full range of both new and old lenses that will fit these cameras. (And with adapters,other ones as well)
There is much competition in these high end cameras, but is also led by financial budgets. I have enjoyed using Pentax/Samsung fit lenses and am discerning on quality and in comparison with other makes.
This new camera is a beautiful piece of technical kit and you can appreciate the development that has gone into it. I have been amazed by the sensor and the features, and I can happily carry on with all my lenses and the image control options available. Another step up in image quality and the HD video option is also amazing fun.
Don't be put-off by the controls on DSLRs, if you are a newby, you can set these pro cameras to auto and probably get extremely good results. As you develop you have equipment suitable for image submission for publication or those canvas prints to admire.
"It's not the camera, it's the user". Don't believe it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An upgrade to my Pentax K100Ds, 8 Feb 2012
I bought this as an upgrade to my trusty old Pentax K100D Super, so my thoughts on the K-5 are somewhat based on the perceived differences between the two models.

The K100Ds with 18-55 lens cost 250 in 2007, this K-5 with 18-55 WR `Weather Resistant' lens cost 655 after cash-back, so I was expecting a marked improvement in all areas.

The image quality at high ISO settings is certainly in a different league to the K100D. However, at ISO200 under good lighting there is not so much between the cameras...until you blow up the image beyond A4. Clearly the K100D had remarkably good IQ considering it only has 6M pixels!

There is a lot of talk about how great the ISO performance is on recent DSLR cameras like the K-5, but it is not revolutionary. On the K-5 I would say noise is just about acceptable in most shots up to ISO3200. With the K100D I felt shooting at any ISO setting above 800 was a waste of time.

Autofocus is much improved, although there is still some hesitation in low light. Auto white balance and exposure are very, very good.

The K-5 is very well constructed from mostly metal. The battery compartment door, a common weak point, is particularly robust and should survive a few knocks. Weight is the same as the K100D which is noticeably heavier than similarly proportioned Nikon models.

The 18-55 kit lens OK, but no better than the 18-55 bundled with my K100d apart from the WR. But for an extra 15 on the body-only price it's basically a free-be to get you started.

The video mode is disappointing, especially for what was supposed to be a 1000 camera. The 1080p HD quality is excellent, the trouble is there are is no autofocus or aperture control once you start shooting. Also, the video file size are huge and quickly consume your SD card. All the hardware is there, just a pity Pentax didn't bother implementing the functionality. The you can make great video with is camera, but if it's a key feature for you go look at Canon or Nikon.

In the UK the K-5 has been heavily discounted. I guess the brand is weak here. At the 650 mark the K-5 competes not against the Nikon D7000 and Canon 7D, cameras to which it performance is usually compared, but to the Nikon 5100 and 600D, which it beats hands down.

If you are looking for a high end consumer DSLR the K-5 offers perhaps the best value for money on the market. For those with existing pentax lens it's an obvious choice. If you're a pro, want access to a wide range of pro lenses or video is important to you Canon/Nikon are still going to be preferred. I give it 4.5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent DSLR, beautiful pictures, nicely ergonomic, 14 Dec 2011
R. F. Stevens "richard23491" (Ickenham UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been promising myself a `proper' DSLR for several years, but could never quite bring myself to face the financial penalty, and SWMBO kept on pointing out that we had several cameras already, in digital and 35mm.

Then Vine came to the rescue and gave me this beauty to review. It has made me realise that I have been wasting my time dawdling with the lesser digital cameras, because this one is so very, very good.

Ergonomics.
. It is just a fraction small for my hands, but SWMBO found it nestles nicely and all the right controls just fell under her finger tips. She was amazed how easy it was to use.
. The `Green' function is sufficient for the vast majority of point-and-shoot photography that one is likely to attempt, and makes amazingly good pictures from a wide range of conditions. I have posted some with comments to illustrate this.
. The default auto-finding Auto-Focus is a bit of a pain - it prefers to focus on nearest objects and not my subject, but I simply selected centre zone and that works a treat.
. Pressing the Review button to look at pictures taken also allows one to have the full ability to examine the picture in minute detail, with an amazing 32x digital magnification, and I still could not see a pixel structure from the sensor. Press it again, and immediately go back to shooting mode. Nice.
. Flash is something I tend not to use unless absolutely necessary, and I've only experimented with the flash enough to prove it works! With the sensitivity of this camera, even hand-held night-shoots come up trumps, which I find quite astonishing, and delightful.
. The shake-reduction is seamless in operation, and while I've not been aware of any side-effects from it, I have certainly noticed how sharp the images are.
. Reflex viewfinder. Ohh, it is so good to be able to see a proper real picture with the correct dioptre adjustment for my eyes, one that can be used in any light level, just like on my 35mm cameras. And it has all the relevant status info you could ever wish for - not that I've noticed it much.
. LCD viewfinder. I've only used this for review of the shots, or for monitoring the video while using the tripod.
. Battery life (without flash) has been excellent. The manual suggests more than 500 pictures; I have shot about 200 in the last week, and ten minutes of full HD video, and it still shows as full on the initial charge of three weeks ago.

The Lens
This is very, very nice, but I would have liked it to go a little bit longer and a little bit wider. There is no Macro facility although the auto-focus is happy down to about 100mm distance at the 55mm narrow angle end of the zoom and about 200mm distance at the 18mm wide angle end.
3 to 1 seems to be not really enough, I would have preferred 5 to 1. But here with 16Mpixels it just does not matter, since one can simply crop out the unwanted picture and use the small part of real interest. It will still have useful detail.
As usual, the lens-cap is a fiddly pain, and I expect to drop it and lose it real soon now, and be forced to fit a sacrificial UV filter instead. But I would very much prefer to keep it as standard.

Picture Quality
In a word; outstanding.
The dynamic range is incredible, from moonlight to pointing at the sun. It copes with ease on auto, and gives good pictures. I've not been cruel (or stupid) enough to force it to look at the sun on any manual settings.
The image sensor at 23.7 x 15.7mm is not quite a full 35mm frame (36 x 24mm), but at about 2/3 the linear size is a decent portion, so most of the standard lenses will give reasonable results (if they can be adapted to fit the body).
HD Video is superb at the full 1920x1080, none of this rubbishy H.264 compressed stuff, but good old AVI, and a 32G SDHC chip only allows you about fifteen minutes of it! But the same class 10 chip allows more than 2000 stills.

Verdict.
I love it. This is the best thing Vine has ever given me. What a fantastic Christmas Present, thank you Az.

5.0 out of 5 stars great in the hand. Rugged. Good value., 3 Oct 2013
Should you want bells and whistles, buy new version. This suits what I need and any weaknesses will not be the bringer of bad photos. So well designed in layout. Even the in camera editing is quite good if you travel / are away from pc. I started with my Dads k1000 back in mid 80's. An apple new falls far from the tree. A good leftfield choice.

Avoid kit lense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Pentax, 14 Dec 2011
L. W. Newton "lwn83" (Nottingham, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used a DSLR on a regular basis, all be it an entry level Sony a200, I was looking forward to using this Pentax K-5.

This camera takes stunning photo's, even in the auto (GREEN) mode, simply point and shoot and you can capture wonderful photo's worthy of a professional photographer. The K-5 has extensive manual modes, but is fairly easy to get to grips with if you are familiar with DSLR camera's, I find the menu's very easy to understand and the in camera editing facilities are second to none, who needs photoshop??

The body itself is very well constructed with all weather protection, water resistant and dust proof, the camera fits very well in the hand making it easy to handle, the weight of the K-5 is not too heavy (unlike my Sony which was a monster)

I have taken around 200 photo's with the K-5 so far, in most conditions and even in the rain!, the focusing system of this camera is lightening quick, almost instant, the continuous shooting mode takes 7 shots a second, great for fast moving sports events ETC.

The K-5 has a fantastic ISO range going upto 12800 ISO, but I have noticed at the higher ISO you do get some noise but this is acceptable. You can take photo's in the near dark with out flash and still get good results, the K-5 also has a in built anti shake mechanism on the sensor which you can turn off , my old Sony had anti shake but never seemed to work that well, on the Pentax the system seems to work fairly well. I like the flash-on button, which make selecting flash simple and easy, no messing around in menus!

The Pextax K-5 comes with a standard 18-55mm lens, which is the norm, the lens is OK for general photo taking and landscapes, but if you are like me and enjoy photographing wildlife then a bigger lens will be required, I do intend to get another lens to complete the kit in the near future.

The K-5 seems to be the perfect camera, I've got very used to using this camera fairly quickly and , so far, not come across any niggles, everything seems to be well laid out, controls and buttons are solid in construction and don't feel in any way flimsy.

The camera comes without a memory card, I am using a Duracell Class 10.200x ProPhoto SDHC Memory Card - 16 GBwhich is fine and is very fast.

The K-5 comes with a very good instruction booklet, battery, charger , 18-55mm Pentax DA lens and software CD.

Pentax have come up with a winner here, the K-5 is fast, easy to use and not too bulky, it also takes stunning photographs that will bring a smile to anyone's face.

5.0 out of 5 stars a real quality camera, 27 Sep 2013
Brilliant piece of tackle, cannot imagine a better camera , No I cannot think of any way of improving this..but save up and buy the 55-300 lens then you will have the lot..

5.0 out of 5 stars Pentax K5, 6 Aug 2013
Superb camera and am very pleased with it. Wouldn't have thought I could have afforded this level of SLR but I can use my old film lenses and attachments with it. Kit lens is surprisingly good and build quality superb

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›