4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining story
An entertaining short story with an unexpected twist at the end. Generally well written, although I found the balance between description and dialogue tilted too much towards description for my taste.
Published on 13 July 2011 by Rich

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs developing
The Bridge Builder Of Arta could be a very good story but lacks the depth to develop into anything special.

Published on 29 Jun. 2012 by R. S. Loch

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining story, 13 July 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars A short gem, 16 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Bridge Builder Of Arta (Kindle Edition)
I am not a man often given to short stories. They have to be particularly good to work in my opinion. It is hard to tell a good tale in such few pages, and only really do `tales of the unexpected' come out right. I have to admit to having downloaded this on my kindle when I discovered it for free, but the (lack of) price was not the only reason. There are thousands of free ebooks out there and most of them are dull. Three things drew me to `Arta'. As well as the price, the reviews were uniformly favourable (which is a good pointer.) And, finally, I was intrigued by the book's description.

Despite everything, I wasn't really sure what I was about to read, so went in with no preconceptions.

I finished it at a rate of knots.

Clearly, I have no intention of giving away any plot details or throwing out spoilers, but I will say that this is a creepy tale in the best possible tradition of gothic ghostly mystery horror - type stories. It is exceedingly well written (the story is set in Scarborough and I know the place very well, and cannot fault a word of his engrossing, perfectly realistic descriptive.) The characters are excellent. The tale itself and the legend at its heart are astounding. But still it is the description and scene setting that particularly win me over.

Quite simply: download it and read it, while it's free. It's not long. You'll be glad you did.

Oh, and Mr ... make us pay for it. It's worth it. And let's see a long tale!

I'd buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A cracking first story for my new Kindle, 8 Oct. 2010
Select L. Pili "Harry" (Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bridge Builder Of Arta (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book having previously read several of Neil Coghlan's short stories.
Set at the turn of the 20th century, The Bridge Builder of Arta is a beautiffuly told tale of a man and his young family's move to the seaside town of Scarborough . . and the curious discovery he makes there.
Neil Coghlan's highly descriptive writing paints fascinating pictures, and his storytelling has you hooked to the very end.
The Bridge Builder of Arta is definitely worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little story, 17 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Bridge Builder Of Arta (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this story and was a bit sad that it was so short.
That said I thought the description of the area was well rounded and full but I would have liked more on the statues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Bridge Builder Of Arta (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Immediately pulled me into the story and I couldn't put it down once I started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this short story, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Bridge Builder Of Arta (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this short story. Quick light reading. Will look for this author again. Very well written and would have been interested in a longer story

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 1 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Bridge Builder Of Arta (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed reading this short story set about 100 years ago. There was quite a mystery running through the plot which made me want to keep reading. The style was gentle and easy to follow. Will certainly seek out more from this author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs developing, 29 Jun. 2012
R. S. Loch "rsloch" (the wilds of Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bridge Builder Of Arta (Kindle Edition)

Coghlan spends a lot of time describing 1920s Scarborough but certain key elements lack depth and thus feel oddly tacked on. I wanted to learn more about the story of the bridge builder and the reason a statue of him ends up in Yorkshire. Not getting that detail makes the ending less effective than it could have been.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent short read!, 13 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Bridge Builder Of Arta (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this free ebook as Scarborough is a favourite haunt of mine. I found the short story an easy read, yet intriguing and very atmospheric, appreciating the descriptive passages of the seaside town and our unpredictable Yorkshire weather! However, I feel that I have to point out that, contrary to what it says in the book, Scarborough's South Bay was the "posh" side, with its Spa, Grand Hotel and large mansions built for the rich industrialists to enjoy during the holiday season, whilst the North Bay was the poorer quarter, with its B&Bs - but for this discrepancy I would have rated it 5*

5.0 out of 5 stars Words That Come Alive, 27 Jan. 2012
Warren Stalley (Bradford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bridge Builder Of Arta (Kindle Edition)
I've never read any of Neil Coghlan's stories before and didn't know what to expect with this short story. This tale is brief but haunting. The words conjure up a very believable world and I could feel the East coast breeze as I read this on my kindle. The art of short story writing is very much alive in this tale. I am very impressed and will definitely read more of this authors work. Full marks to Mr Coghlan.

The Bridge Builder Of Arta