5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent listening for jazz or blues fans
I wouldn't class myself as much of Jazz fan, I've only come across Chris Barber through his appearance with John Mayall, but this is a fantastic album with some lovely foot-tapping songs. Cream of the crop for me have to be 'I'll Be Rested', with Paul Jones, and Trummy Young on a fantastic version of 'Georgia On My Mind'.
Published on 4 May 2011 by Duncan A

2.0 out of 5 stars Memories of my Trip
This isn't the Chris Barber of my youth and I was disappointed that he appears to have "moved on". But it's wonderful that they can keep blowing still. How reassuring!!!
Published on 3 Jun. 2011 by J. Bradley

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris Barber - Memories of my Trip, 16 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Memories of My Trip (Audio CD)
Glad to have this album amongst my varied artists collection - brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories of my trip, 21 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Memories of My Trip (Audio CD)
This is the best Jazz Album released in a long time. Covering many different eras of Chris Barber's carreer, it includes tracks which highlight John Slaughter's undeniable contribution to Jazz.
Buy it now without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trip Remembered, 17 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Memories of My Trip (Audio CD)
As a life long follower of Chris Barber from the very beginning, this is a real trip down memory lane. Long may he play.

2.0 out of 5 stars Memories of my Trip, 3 Jun. 2011
J. Bradley "Selah" (Hexham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars CHRIS BARBER -- MEMORIES OF MY TRIP, 3 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Memories of My Trip (Audio CD)
WHAT A BRILLIANT ALBUM! JUST READ THE CAST LIST : MARK KNOPFLER, SONNY TERRY & BROWNIE McGEE, ERIC CLAPTON, RORY GALLAGHER, JEFF HEALEY, LONNIE DONEGAN, OTTILLIE PATTERSON, DOCTOR JOHN, JOOLS HOLLAND, VAN MORRISON, PAUL JONES, ANDY FAIRWEATHER LOW, ED HALL, KEITH EMERSON ( OF ELP, BUT HERE WITH THE T-BONES), TRUMMY YOUNG, SAMMY PRICE ETC ETC... ALL JOIN IN TO LEAD AN 80 YEAR OLD MR. BARBER THROUGH HIS DISGUINISHED CAREER IN JAZZ AND BLUES ... YES, AND EVEN SKIFFLE! IF YOU'RE A 'TRADDIE' OF MORE MATURE YEARS, YOU'LL SIMPLY LOVE IT, AND IF YOU'RE A MERE YOUNGSTER, YOU'LL DEFINITELY LEARN SOMETHING ABOUT HOW THE EARLY BRITISH MUSIC SCENE CAME TO BE WHERE IT IS TODAY. THE 'PROPER' LABEL AND A PROPER JOB! AN ASSEMBLY NEVER TO BE REPEATED, SO JUST GET IT!

4.0 out of 5 stars Memories of my trip, 20 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Memories of My Trip (Audio CD)
An excellent album with the accent on Barber's varied styles and co-performers. There is something here for the purists as well as fans of blues and rocking gospel numbers. Some numbers feature the late John Slaughter's superb guitar and the leader's driving trombone build the excitement to be found in many of the tracks.My only reservation was the quality of the recording with Muddy Waters, but this could be forgiven on account of its rarity. Numbers which feature artists from other spheres eg Knopfler and Van Morrison fit in seamlessly with the mood of the album.The whole package of 2 CD's comes highly recommended and an interesting perspective of the career of a pillar of the British jazz and blues scene.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous Memories, 28 Nov. 2011
D. Elliott (Ulverston, Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Memories of My Trip (Audio CD)
Chris Barber is an exceptionally talented trombonist with a gift for getting the best out of fellow musicians and holding their music together. He has persistently pushed at the boundaries of traditional jazz and he has always combined with guest artists to demonstrate a broad musical outlook. Many are embraced on `Memories Of My Trip' with its wide variety of styles including jazz, blues, gospel and skiffle played by some of the world's finest musicians from America as well as home grown performers. Within his own band Chris Barber took some supporters aback when he introduced blues guitarist John Slaughter into his line up; and this album is dedicated to him. For me a particularly good track features John Slaughter on `Another Sad One'.

The double CD album makes for a glorious nostalgic experience covering more than 60 years and the names of fellow performers read like a roll of honour. Amazon's product description lists collaborators on 31 tracks, and there is no need to repeat these. However I must set out my own favourites as: `Do Lord, Do Remember' with Sonnie Terry and Brownie McGhee, `Weeping Willow' with Eric Clapton, `Goin' Up The River' with Jeff Healey, `Goin' Home' with Van Morrison, `Lonesome Road' with Ottillie Patterson, `I'll Be Rested' with Paul Jones, `Precious Lord Take My Hand' with Andy Fairweather-Low, `Couldn't Keep it To Myself' with Alex Bradford, `High Society' with Edmond Hall, `Winnin' Boy Blues' with Jools Holland, and `Blues Stay away From Me' with Mark Knopfler. How can an album be anything but marvellous with these masterly musicians?

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories of my trip - Chris Barber, 7 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Memories of My Trip (Audio CD)
This double CD is an absolute gem consisting as it does of previously unreleased material. The sheer number of participants from outside the band, the quality of the playing and the amount of material makes it a "must have" for any Barber or blues fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this as a present, 29 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Memories of My Trip (Audio CD)
......... as I am not into jazz. The receiver of the present loved it and to be honest, when I heard it, I thought how great it was. there were other well known folks on the CDs and the music was gentle jazz and jazz/blues ........... which I really enjoyed. I thoroughly recommend this double CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING BEST EVER BARBER CD, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Memories of My Trip (Audio CD)
A REALLY WONDERFUL SELECTION OF MUSIC AND IS MY MOST FAVOURITE OF ALL OF MY CHRIS BARBER COLLECTION THE TRACKS WITH LONNIE DONEGON AND MARK KNOFLER WERE EXCELLENT I CANT BELIEVE YOU CAN HEAR A BETTER DOUBLE CD FOR SUCH A SMALL AMOUNT OF MONEY AN ABSOLUTE TREASURE

Memories of My Trip
Memories of My Trip by Chris Barber (Audio CD - 2011)