4.0 out of 5 stars Endlessly - Duffy
I really wasn't sure what to expect from this CD as the reviews are so mixed; all I can say is while not in the same league as "Rockferry" it's really not bad at all; her voice is still good, again not as good as on "Rockferry" but still unique

Overall, worth buying in my opinion
Published on 12 Feb. 2012 by Mike

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing second album
Published on 18 Aug. 2011 by Nick D

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing second album, 18 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Endlessly (Audio CD)
Rockferry was a great Soul/Pop record. Duffy's good girl image combined with the albums heartfelt tracks made for the perfect companion piece to the darkness of Amy Winehouse's 'Back to Black'. Unfortunately second effort Endlessly is a bit of a misfire. There are no standout tracks like 'Warwick Avenue' or 'Mercy' and the lyrics are one dimensional & overly syrupy throughout. Listening to the album it feels like the producers didn't really know what sound they were going for. On 'Well, Well, Well' (the first and only single) the music has more of a dance feel but it doesn't quite work.

Overall perhaps the biggest disappointment is that Duffy never sings at full power as she did on Rockferry tracks such as 'Serious'. Her unique voice was the core of what made that album so appealing but on Endlessly she does not display the same range. A few of the songs have their own subtle charm such as the Kylie Minogue esque 'Lovestruck' and string accompanied 'Breath Away' (which is quite good) but overall the album is forgettable and unlikely to have you hitting the repeat button. One for completists only.

3.0 out of 5 stars Endlessly, Duffy - Middling to good second album from Duffy,, 10 Dec. 2010
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Endlessly (Audio CD)
It seems to have been an almost endless wait since Duffy's debut, the sublime `Rockferry', for her follow up album. Finally, here it is. But just what is it exactly?

With an original sound that reminded one of Lulu or Dusty Springfield in their prime, Duffy has tried to develop and alter her style a little bit. For me the slightly new direction doesn't work too well. She has moved away from the Phil Spectorish soul ballad backings that suited and framed her voice to a more modern sounding production that she almost has to fight against to make an impact. It doesn't quite suit her voice and does not provide as enjoyable listening experience as Rockferry. The best track on the album for me is `Don't Foresake Me', which follows the earlier style. There are good points here though - Duffy's vocal delivery is disitinctive and excellent, and there is some very good songwriting. It is just let down a bit by the choice of backing and production.

All in all the tracks sound a bit bland and samey, to my ears there are no real standout star tracks. They are all ok, and listenable, but no more than that really. With a bit more focus and a sympathetic production this could have been great, but not an album I will be returning to that often I think.

In all three stars. It's not terrible, but it doesn't really shine for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Endlessly - Duffy, 12 Feb. 2012

Overall, worth buying in my opinion

2.0 out of 5 stars Fortunately, Not Endless, 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Endlessly (Audio CD)
The curse of the “difficult second album” is such a cliché in music that it’s not funny any more. But when your debut album is the fourth best selling album of 2008 worldwide, wins a Grammy award and reaches the Top 10 in 24 different countries (and Top 3 in 19 of those 24), then it’s always going to be a hard thing to follow. Sadly, despite all the rave reviews and huge sales that “Rockferry” earned Duffy, the cliché has come home to roost once more.

The album only has a run time of around 33 minutes. Usually when an album finishes so quickly, I would deride the appalling value for money, but the fact that Duffy’s “Endlessly” is far from being endless is actually a plus point in my book, as it puts the listener out of their misery that much sooner. It’s an album that does have some potential hidden deep inside it, but when I put a CD on, I’m hoping to hear some decent music rather than some decent potential.

It’s often the mark of how poor an album is as to how quickly it appears very cheaply on eBay with consumers desperate to get it out of their collections. After only two weeks of release, several copies were available for £1.99 including postage, which speaks volumes. Given that the best tracks sound like weak Dusty Springfield imitations, you’re far better paying Amazon £2.99 for Dusty’s “Hits Collection” and at least having something decent to listen to, as well as saving money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware follow-ups, 7 April 2011
Pete Johnson "Pete Johnson" (Norfolk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Endlessly (MP3 Download)
I should start by saying that I really like Duffy. She is cute and quirky, and her love-or-hate croaky voice really works for me. I played the CD of 'Rockferry' until it wore thin, and I had this one on pre-order, waiting with bated breath. Very few modern pop stars manage to follow their big hit records with the same standard, then they disappear without trace. Exceptions to this are Amy Winehouse, Adele, and Lady GaGa, who all moved things up a gear. I cannot fully describe my disappointment with Duffy's efforts here. I had revelled in the Northern Soul retro, and power ballads of her debut CD. Alright, she doesn't move or dance well on stage but that is only for the video generation. I don't need to see the singer to appreciate 'Warwick Avenue', and so many of the new artists today are little more than video performers, without substance when just listening to their CD's. I can only imagine that Duffy has taken some bad advice on this one. The up tempo tracks sound like an early Lulu, or Kylie in the 80's. The slow songs are reminiscent of the petticoat songstresses of the late 50' and early 60's, with bubblegum lyrics and dated melodies. If this was intentional, it just didn't work. If it was unintentional, then it is a disaster. Poor construction, lyrics with no substance, repetitive choruses, and poor Duffy straining to reach (and usually failing) the high notes. I still want to believe in Duffy but I felt like I wanted to squeeze some lockets into the speakers at times, as her signature croak broke down completely. One more chance I think. I will await the next release with some foreboding. Unfortunately, this CD is destined to end its life as a coaster, with my drink resting on it as I enjoy another listen to '21'. The 2 stars are for the memories of 'Rockferry', and the nice picture on the cover. I would also like to mention that this was not an mp3 download but the CD.

2.0 out of 5 stars Misfiring follow up., 7 May 2012
This review is from: Endlessly (MP3 Download)
Moulded by Bernard Butler (Suede), and with such writers as White and Jimmy Hogarth, Rockferry was a heartfelt, home grown tribute to a faraway era. It exuded charisma and class, and based on this, I was expecting great things from Duffy's follow up album. I was so disappointed though.

Endlessy is a very different production, derived from a very different process. Endlessly shifts the scene from Britain to the US, and in doing so loses the very talented Lee and Butler in favour of Albert Hammond Sr, who has worked on countless hits for Celine Dion and Whitney Houston.

For me though, this just doesn't work. I won't go into every track, but this album never grabbed the heartsrings the way Rockferry did. Endlessly, for the most part, lacks the hearfelt warmth of Rockferry. Whilst perhaps a technically proffecient follow up, it feels hackneyed, and for the most part, just muzak.

Disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars What happened Duffy?, 27 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Endlessly (Audio CD)
Endlessly scores one star only because Amazon doesn't allow zero. I rate Rockferry as one of the most distinctive début albums of the last couple of decades, and have rarely been as impressed as I was by Duffy's magnificent and distinctive vocals. On it she expressed her talent through a wide variety of songs in which she showed great power and range, emotion and control, subtlety, sophistication and raw expression, all on top of superbly crafted instrumentals. She was magnificent, the production was magnificent.. In Endlessly there is no sign of any of this. The songs are largely banal disco pop that does not suit her voice and has few redeeming features. What went wrong Duffy? You showed such promise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something Different, 13 May 2013
This review is from: Endlessly (Audio CD)
I can see where some of the more negative reviews come from, but how dull if artists don't experiment and try different genres!?! I bought the album as I'm a huge Albert Hammond fan, and was interested to see how this collaboration worked. I really enjoyed most tracks and Duffys interpretation of them, however I kind of agree with one reviewer who likened her voice to helium, but only on one or two tracks. Overall I'm fairly sure this album will grow on me the more I hear it and I'm very happy I gave it a go.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor second outing for the talented singer, 25 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Endlessly (Audio CD)
Very disappointing second album from Duffy. Her first album spawned a series of hits which raised her profile. Whether she deliberately struck off on a different direction, or it was ill advised studio pressure, I don't know. What I do know is that this is as bland and as forgettable an album as I've heard in years. It's no surprise that she's stepped away from the limelight. Here's hoping she can come back and repeat her debut and show us again what she is well capable of.

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by mediocre songs, 10 Jun. 2013
Mr. C. Smith "Wisafa" (Hartlepool, Co Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Endlessly (Audio CD)
I like Duffy's retro sixties soulful voice but the songs a well down on the excellent Rockferry Album. The songs are very average, lack the direction and atmosphere of the songsd on Rockferry, which is an excellent album. I generally like a bit of melancholy in my songs which Duffy's voice has in spades .... but that is it really. It is an OK album to listen to ... but that's all. It was pretty cheap so on that score only worth what I paid for it!

Endlessly
Endlessly by Duffy (Audio CD - 2010)