4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet but not correct
A nice, sweet (pun intended) book. The story flows well and I liked reading it. It is a good laugh with lively characters.
I am not a baker so I won't be saying if the recipes in the book are feasible or not but for sure they made my mouth water and dream of a well made cake with a cup of coffee.
Just one thing if I may. The baker is diabetic, Type 1 to be...
Published on 24 Jan 2011 by Acquafortis

2.0 out of 5 stars Sickeningly sweet and a bit too religious for my liking.
I was drawn to this book by the eye-catching cover and sweet sounding summary, thinking it would be an interesting contemporary romance. There was also the added incentive that at the time it was a kindle freebie of course.

Published on 6 Sep 2011 by Nicola F (Nic)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet but not correct, 24 Jan 2011
Just one thing if I may. The baker is diabetic, Type 1 to be precise and this was something that made me more prone to read the book. I was curious how she handled it all.
Well from that point of view I am very disappointed. The author gives a very wrong impression of what diabetes entails and its everyday management.
I am quite sure that if Emma Rae Travis tackled her diabetes the way it was described in the book with one dose of insulin now and then "an injection of insulin if necessary, which it wasn't tonight" she would have been probably dead ages ago. Type 1 diabetes need more than one insulin shot a day not only to control blood glucose levels but simply to survive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Fun Read, 31 Aug 2013
This review is from: Always the Baker, Never the Bride: An Emma Rae Creation (Kindle Edition)
I quite enjoyed this book, which I downloaded when it was free - not sure I'd have paid full price for it????

I loved the characters, and the surprises. Like others have said, it was a bit too pushy on the religous side of things I thought. Would possibly look out for others by the same writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars such a great book! loved reading it!, 9 Jun 2013
This book is such a great book for all ages, perhaps more targeted at women than men, but overall an easy, fairly quick read that makes your heart melt! Love this book, a lovely ending as well!

2.0 out of 5 stars Sickeningly sweet and a bit too religious for my liking., 6 Sep 2011
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

The book finds diabetic pastry chef Emma recruited to work for the newly refurbished Tanglewood Hotel, under the steely eye of hotel owner Jackson. Jackson opened the hotel in homage to his late wife- it was her dream to refurbish the place and he is determined to honour his promise to her. Sparks are soon flying between them but Emma has enough problems of her own, namely her feuding parents and the emergence of her former boyfriend- one of the first grooms whose wedding cake she is all set to design.

As I've said, I picked this up expecting a sweet romance but I personally found it a bit dull and also a bit inconsistent. I'm not a doctor by any means, but I found the way that diabetes was depicted in this story to be a bit laissez faire when I think about it. I was initially drawn to this book on the premise that the baker in the story was diabetic and wondered how that would impact on her life and career if she could barely taste her own creations. How would she cope? Type 1 diabetes is the most severe form of the illness which can have a really detrimental impact on the person who has it, yet Emma seemed to get by fairly ok with just a few shots of insulin. There was no thorough mention of the symptoms and side effects that diabetes can cause as well as its effects on the sufferer, which would have been a real opportunity for the author to highlight awareness of the illness, yet she just didn't run with it enough and seemed to concentrate more on the romance aspects, when the illness itself had been particularly highlighted in the books summary.

A few other quibbles I had with this book was that the author seems to *really* like to emphasise some of the characters Southern ways of speaking particular words, which grew a bit tiresome after a while (sistah, bruthah, he-ya etc). We know they're in Atlanta, so this isn't really necessary to be honest and it comes across as a bit twee. Also, like the other reviewers have commented upon, I feel the Christian overtones got a bit annoying and sanctimonious on occaision- it would have been nice to miss those out entirely, but maybe that's just down to personal preference- and I am an atheist anyway. I just didn't feel that the constant praying was really needed.

In saying a few positive things about the novel as it wasn't all that bad, I did enjoy the fact that it contained recipes that tied in nicely with the story- and some of the descriptions of food did make me feel a bit hungry too, particularly the descriptions of the wedding cakes. The character development was also fairly solid for the most part, particularly with sweet Aunt Sophie, and Emma did sound like a dependable, caring person who I could emphasise with as a reader; unfortunately I just didn't care enough about either her or Jackson to see this entire story as anything more than a fairly bland romance.

Thankfully I managed to download this book whilst it was still free, which I'm so glad about. I personally wouldn't pay the asking price for this novel at the moment- it's a good, cutesy -though not exactly spectacular, read, ruined by the religious overtones which is why I have deducted so many stars. I doubt I would read anything else by this author again in future- even if it was free.

1.0 out of 5 stars Silly romantic nonsense, 25 April 2013
This book shows very little understanding of the true effect on ones lifestyle caused by the health implications of diabetes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Passed a rainy afternoon, 30 Oct 2011
This book was very bland, predictable and not much depth to it. It passed a rainy afternoon for me though. Just glad it was a free download.

1.0 out of 5 stars Surprising in its dullness, 14 Sep 2011
One of the blandest novels I have ever read. The plot basically goes: diabetic baker gets new job, everything goes to plan with no hitches, she and her boss develop a relationship, again fairly smoothly, the end. Lacks drama,plot, characterisation, and a basic understanding of diabetes. Having said that, there is an (I presume unintentionally) hilarious line in the scene where the couple declare their love for each other- the heroine says 'I feel woozy' to which the hero replies 'Do you need something to eat?' Seriously, it's all like that. But mostly without the ridiculousness to cheer it up. At least it was free...

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but...., 10 Sep 2011
I'm an expat from the Atlanta/Roswell area with a real sweet tooth, so I couldn't resist downloading this. It's a cute, fast read, and the characters are likeable.
I have to agree with previous reviewers, though - the treatment of the main character's diabetes seems a bit lighthearted, and the religious passages are pretty heavyhanded. I got this free, but I would have been disappointed if I'd paid for it.
It certainly did make me want to bake some red velvet cupcakes, though!

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 3 Sep 2011
Ann E. Davies - See all my reviews
do wish they'd mention in the blurb when a story is going to have a lot of christian religion in it. easy going story that would have been an enjoyable light read without the religion. would have been disappointed if had paid for it but thankfully was on free download

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable, 3 Sep 2011
J Walker (Margate) - See all my reviews
A cute little read but doesn't have a lot of depth and it got a little too religious for my liking at some points.

ARRAY(0xb77ba54c)