5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic., 18 Jan 2005
If using grids was good enough for Leonardo da Vinci then its certainly good for the rest of us. It does take longer to perfect your works of art than the book suggests (or maybe thats just me) but I have to admit I have been stunned by my own results after only a few attempts and I have not used a pencil since school! Even my matchstick men look like splodges.
If you want to draw portraits then buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent step by step examples, 5 Jan 2008
L. Burnard (UK) - See all my reviews
This book does exactly what it says; Learn how to draw lifelike portraits from photographs!
I picked up my pencils for the first time in years, I did a few drawings of my children that looked more like evil pixes! I bought this book a week later, practised the examples and was stunned how much better my drawings were in one week. My husband wants to frame them! That's a first for my artwork!
If you want to learn how to draw accurate portraits then I strongly reccommend this book. I will definately be ordering more from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to grasp, 12 Feb 2010
I think I would say that for a large hardback book there could have been a bit more detail on the pages in the same manner as Lance Richlin's Lifelike Heads, but on the whole this is quite a good book to get the reader started on this topic. I wouldn't say for one moment that Lee Hammond is not a talented artist, as is mentioned by A Customer who sells his portrait work, she clearly is and the illustrations in this book greatly appeal to me. I came across this book after visiting the website of P. Wilkinson who has a picture in the gallery above. I've read the book in one afternoon that's how simply it is put together but it is an easy book to understand for thickies like myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best teaching book I have found yet, 30 Jan 2010
I could draw a bit but lacked the rendering experience, I am doing things now I did not dream possible, as she says it is practice,practise,practise. Thank you Lee.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Draw Lifelike Portraits from Photographs, 11 Nov 2009
P. M. Baines - See all my reviews
Easy to understand guide to improve your drawing.
Lee Hammond's step by step guide is excellent.
I wish this was in DVD as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book with many examples!!, 23 July 1998
By A Customer
When I first read the book, it immediately became clear that I finally found a book with enough examples. The technique that Lee Hammond is using, is quite different from the techniques that I have been using for about 3 years, and I was quite astonished about the quality of her drawings in consideration of the material she is using in her book: grafite. I think I keep on practizing with grafite for another several years!!! A great step-by-step book, with many examples; it took four weeks to get it here to Holland, but it was worth waiting for!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, 1 Sep 2009
This book is so amazing, it really helped me go from flat, unrealistic drawings to beautiul portraits that captured likeness and the subjet almost perfectly. I completely disagree with the statement of the 1 star review that this artist is mediocre, she is amazing and she has an amazing talent. Grids are a very good way of eliminating problems that beginner artists face such as perspective, foreshortening and likeness. If you are one who believes you have to work years apon years to make progress, then dont get this book because in 4 short days and studying the book like the bible, i was able to draw so much better than i ever had dreamed i could before! And its even helped my drawing ability from imagination, it teaches structures of the face and it helped me draw images from my imagination very well.
However this books main focus is drawing from photographs of the subject, and it truly helps with that. All you need is a photograph, some basic drawing materials, and a want to do well and it'll look amazing. I totally disagree with the statement "Grids can cripple an artist", any artist who believes there is only one way of creating a picture is not a true artist.
Long story short, this book is amazing and has done SO much for me, if you want to be able to draw realistic portraits from photographs, this book is the way to go. Its even helped me paint in blacks and whites aswell.
5 STARS, and an AMAZING book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful to all levels of artists., 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: How to Draw Lifelike Portraits from Photographs (Kindle Edition)
This is fantastic and gives lots of useful techniques to use in regards to light, proportion and detailing. If you struggle with drawing faces this is a great help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 2 Jan 2014
I found this book to be excellent. Although I thought I was a reasonable artist at drawing portraits they never looked completely accurate. After reading this book and completing the exercises my art work has come to look so life like.
The book is well structured taking on each facial feature as w ell as clothing and composition. A must have if your serious about portrait drawing.