4.0 out of 5 stars Good idea but needs a few improvements
I've been living with some short mudguards for a couple of seasons now, but decided to give these a go for this winter, having seen a few other riders using them. I've been using them for six weeks now, and they seem to work well, but there is room for improvement. I fitted these to a 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite.

They are made from black flexible plastic and...
Published on 30 Sep 2011 by The Great Elmyra

1.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy and brittle.
Published 15 months ago by Ed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good idea but needs a few improvements, 30 Sep 2011
This review is from: Crud Products M/Guard Crud Road Racer Mk2 Black (Sports)

They are made from black flexible plastic and arrive in various sections which you screw together to fit your bike size, style and available clearances. So far so good. The instructions aren't the greatest but point out the key aspects you need to achieve the desired result. The fixings are a combination of rubber bands, reusable tie-wraps and counter-sunk bolts with a X-head drive and knurled nuts both of which are made of plastic.

I've ridden with a few people who have used these and they often wobble like mad and rub the tyre continuously. Keen not to have this feature, since it would drive me up the wall I wanted to get the installation spot on. After a bit of trial and error I finally got there, but be patient.

The stays are fitted with the rubber bands, protect the frame with some good thick tape. The instructions recommend using 2 bands per stay, I done this and wrapped the bands round 3 times each to get a really tight fit. I found the best place was to fit the stays as far down the frame/forks as possible to give better support. Using the tie-wraps around the brakes and near the front mech is easy. I had to cut the rear mudguard to get a good fit near the bottom bracket area.

Here's the biggest issue, the nuts and bolts for the stays. Since they are made of plastic, they are SO EASY to strip the threads. There is a warning in the instructions, but really there is no excuse to use such rubbish pieces of kit. Once the guards are loosely fitted on the bike, you then pull the mudguards to give the ideal clearance and secure them so using the nuts. However, you will find that they don't grip as well as they should (since you don't want to risk over tightening the nuts) and so after a couple of rides they will move and start rubbing your tyres. I initially tried using double sided tape between the joints and this worked okay for a bit. But in the end I found some steel self locking nuts and bolts of equivalent size and fitted the guards using these. Now, no problem at all and the guards are perfect, no rubbing and keep me dry. I aligned the little brushes they supply with the brake rim and they seem to work well at centralising the mudguard, but a few spare may have been nice, since many people report they fall off.

These are good, if you have a racer and want to ride it in the winter this really is you only option but be prepared to take time to get the fitting right, and buy some steel self locking nuts and bolts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crud Road Racer 2, 2 Jan 2011
Mark Elliott (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crud Products M/Guard Crud Road Racer Mk2 Black (Sports)
I brought the mudguards after reviewing the product on the web. Once fitted, they do a great job of protecting my road bike. The reviews that I viewed suggested that fitting the mudguards was a trivial exercise but it took me about two hours of fitting, refitting and fiddling around to get an acceptable fit where the guards weren't rubbing on the wheel. The instructions that came with the kit were not good and I had lots of bit left over. I guess the extra parts were for other types of bike.

Overall, I'm happy with the mudguards and would recommend them, my bike is staying much cleaner. I will be removing them once the weather gets drier as they don't really add to the visual appeal of the bike.

1.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy and brittle., 21 May 2013
This review is from: Crud Products M/Guard Crud Road Racer Mk2 Black (Sports)
I work in a plastic injection molding factory and so spend a lot of time around different types of plastics. On receiving the Crud Roadracer Mk II my initial reaction was that they looked good, but after picking them up and taking a closer look I soon realized how flimsy and brittle they are. Ignoring my better judgement I decided to give them a go regardless...........why oh why. After fiddling for hours with them so that they wouldn't rub on the tyres (the screw adjustments at all joints are completely useless as the guard flops around under its own weight) I go for my first ride with them. On a slow speed tight corner my foot hits the front guard and rips it off with little resistance leaving it swinging about by the zip tie attacthment. Should have sent them back straight away. I commend those who succeed with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works.., 23 Jun 2011
This review is from: Crud Products M/Guard Crud Road Racer Mk2 Black (Sports)
The advantage of this system is the guards are light and can be mounted without lugs - which most modern (racing) bikes no longer have. And to be clear, mud-guards are pretty essential for cycling in the UK unless you are choosy about the days you head out! (The upward spray from the road is just as wet and annoying as any rain falling from above.)

The new 2010/11 version has longer extensions - personally I don't find them necessary (although anyone cycling behind me might think otherwise!), but the option is there if wanted.

The downsides of this system are:
* A fiddle to get on and off. No special tools are needed, but patience will come in handy. Can be done in about 10 minutes with practice. I use rubber bands instead of tie-wraps to secure to brake posts - although the tie-wraps can be removed without cutting, in practice I found it impossible to release them.
* Depending on your bike, there is not much space between the frame and the wheel. I have a Trek Madone, and I can fit these with a 25mm tyre but not a 28mm tyre. Carbon racing bikes were not designed with mud-guards in mind!
* It will take some adjustment to ensure the guards are not rubbing on the tyre - in fact small `fur' stickers will contact on the rims to help keep the guards in place without causing too much friction. Once you have loaded and unloaded your bike from the car, chances are all that careful alignment will be gone and the setup will need adjustment again. And once you are off, it is hard to say if the friction pads are working as they should...
* And because of that, and to properly wash the bike, I tend to remove the guards when I can (which I never do on my Galaxy).

So if you have a racing bike without lugs for guards, and you occasionally venture out into the wet (It is only water after all!), then I'd say these are OK, provided you dedicate some time to get them on and off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not use on road bikes, 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: Crud Products M/Guard Crud Road Racer Mk2 Black (Sports)
If you have a road bike...pretty much impossible to put on! not enough space between breaks and wheel so just affects ride. Would not reccommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps the mud off!, 25 Feb 2011
This review is from: Crud Products M/Guard Crud Road Racer Mk2 Black (Sports)
These mudguards are fantastic. I no longer have rain and mud splattered up my ruck sack at the end of my ride. They also keep a large amount of mud off my bike too making cleaning it a lot easier!
They are not too difficult to fit. Will probably require slight adjustments on your first ride to prevent rubbing on the tyre as the clearence is minimal. However this adjustment is easy enough to carry out.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crud Roadracer Mk II, 19 April 2011
This review is from: Crud Products M/Guard Crud Road Racer Mk2 Black (Sports)
Quality design. Reasonably straightforward to mount.
One of the two I ordered did not have full complement of mounting screws.
Crud seem to have recently changed their policy; instead of supplying spare mounting screws and pile pads on receipt of sae, they now sell a spares kit :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect even on very tight fitting frame., 12 April 2013
Frame - Rose pro200 sl 59cm
Tyres - Schwalbe marathon plus 700 * 25

I am not quite sure how these fit under front brake and especially next to front derailleur bracket.
The full rear guard protects the front derailleur mechanism very nicely.
Fitting takes a while and a bit of patience is needed but watching the makers videos is a big help. Use plenty of tape to protect the frame.
Using paper slid between tyre and guard was useful in setting up guards. Yes they were that tight in places.
Check positioning of frame brackets before fixing, mine needed to be slightly away from base of frame.

In use they are nearly perfect. Bike and me kept clean and dry from road water and debris.
Grit and small stones can be heard as they squeeze round between tyre and guard, but this is not problem to either tyre or guard.
The only rubbing is when pedaling under pressure, the rear tyre rubs very slightly on the rear cable tie by the derailleur, nothing too bad and the tyre is not showing any signs of wear after a month's use. I am more happy that I was able to fit the full rear guard to protect the front derailleur mechanism and comfortable with the level of rubbing.

The guards and very light, very flimsy but as long as your careful fitting and don't catch them on anything in use, i would have no hesitation in recommending them 100%.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Instructions and parts short, 12 Dec 2012
This review is from: Crud Products M/Guard Crud Road Racer Mk2 Black (Sports)
I received these promptly from the supplier, so no complaints there. The product itself is not easy to fit and the instructions leave something to be desired! There were not enough screws in the packaging to fix the various additional fittings which are supplied to adapt for different bikes. Consequently I was not able to fit the front piece to the either the front or rear mudguard. I have after much struggling fitted the without those pieces but although I have not yet ridden the bike, they already appear to rub, no matter how much I have tried to adjust them. I will see how they perform when riding but I have not been impressed thus far and don't hold out much hope of them staying on!

4.0 out of 5 stars Self assembly mudguards, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: Crud Products M/Guard Crud Road Racer Mk2 Black (Sports)
Once attached they do their job well. But tricky to assemble and fit. The instructions could be clearer. If you're good at DIY. No problem.

Crud Roadracer Mud Guard - Black