Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£4.99

on 10 October 2010
Its always a matter of taste, but this album in my opinion is fantastic. No bad tracks - a couple of not great tracks [but definitely not bad]. I have come to this album from a number of directions. Trapeze were my favourite band in the 70s and should have doen a lot better and probably would if Glenn Hughes had not gone to Deep Purple. Jason Bonham -always a great drummer, and Joe Bonamassa - what a guitarist came across him on a Lesley West Album and have followed his work ever since, his love and interpretation of 70s rock/blue is second to none. So when I heard they had got together with a top class keyboard player [Derek] to do a rock album I was hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

Well all my hopes were fulfilled the album works as a unit, no prima donna bits [well maybe some of glenns singing, but only a little] and 12 solid well played hard hitting and annoyingly memorable rock tunes. You can hear that they enjoy playing it and the solo work from each player is top class. If this was out in the 70s it would have cleaned up! You can hear Free , Bad Company, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Purple nuances in places but those guys set the scene and how Black Country Communion deliver is very much with their own style and verve.

The album is a grower, 3 /4 plays and you are hooked, first play track 1 hits you, dips for 2 up for 3 level for 4 up for 5 then it just keeps getting better. after 4 plays I defy anyone [who likes the genre ] to keep bits out of their memory.

I love it, I just hope they do some more
on 26 October 2010
A friend of mine told me to look out for this one, given the pedigree of all concerned, I was happy to do so! My copy, vinyl not CD (which costs extra) arrived immediately on release. Well done Amazon, great service as usual. On examining the sleeve I thought some of the printing on the rear cover was a little blurrey, but hey it could be my eyes, so nothing to worry about there. I do have a pretty good system for vinyl replay (Roksan/Arcam) so dropping the stylus onto the run in greeted me with nothing but a highly commendable fresh vinyl swoosh and with one exception both of the records (it's a double) were the same. Virtually free from surface noise, clicks and pops just as they should be. The sound quality is as you would expect very good. I haven't heard the CD version so I can't compare the two but I'm more than satisfied. The music? Oh that. Well I love it and for me there isn't a bad track on the album. Yes at first I felt that Joe Bonamassa might be slightly out of his comfort zone with some of the heavier passages,as he is a bluesman at heart, but this feeling left me after a couple of plays. My friend thought the first track "Black Country" off-putting and that it almost ruined the rest of the album for him but personally I like it. I also love the re-working of Medusa (Title track from "Medusa" - Trapeze, 1970) which after 40 years still sounds as fresh as ever. I think Mel Galley would have approved. At times I get a "mid-70's Deep Purple feeling" about some of the passages and given that Glen Hughes was in the band at that time this isn't so surprising. What will you think about it? I dunno, give it a listen. If you like rock and blues you will almost certainly like some of it, perhaps all, but whatever you think I'm looking forward to the second album. Should be another killer.
on 20 September 2010
When 4 of the finest musicians in the world decide to get together and make a record, you expect big things. I think that this album exceeded all of my expectations, it's just so damned good. From the opener 'Black Country' you are taken by the shoulders and savagely shaken until your fillings are loose, and then it soothes you a few times on your journey toward the end. This would have to rate in my top 10 albums of all time. It's not perfect by any means, but it's so close it's scary.

It's great to see how Joe is maturing as a musician and a vocalist, and the way he stamps his mark on each and every track is testament to that fact. Glenn's voice is as powerful as ever, and his basslines on this album are some of the finest I've ever heard. Jason's drumming is amazing, somethimes it's hard to tell if he's keeping up with the band's rhythm, or whether he's leading the band from the back, yes it's THAT good. Derek is one of the world's greats on the keys, and there are several points on this album where you can really hear him shine.

I'm not going to give you a song by song break down, but there are hints of Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and many many other classic rock outfits, but you can't pigeonhole it. So many influences produce a unique result that has to be heard to be believed. In fact, if you're only going to buy one more album this year, make sure it's this one.

High points on the album (in my opinion) are One Last Soul, The Great Divide, Song Of Yesterday, Down Again and Sista Jane, all for different reasons. This album could have been made 30 or 40 years ago by one of the giants of rock, you keep having to remind yourself that it's a new record, and I mean that as a huge compliment, as to be able to sound new and old simultaneously is no mean feat, but this album does it, and does it well.

The only other thing I can say is BUY IT NOW!
on 21 September 2010
Having received the CD and DVD at 10:30AM on the day of release I've now listened to all the tracks twice over. I got a preview listening to the special live concert broadcast on the UK's Planet Rock radio station the night before.

What comes over is the pace at which the whole set was laid down (4 days) and then mixed in it's entirety over the next 10 days. Because of this it sounds pure like rock albums of the early 70s, not self indulgent or difficult to fathom.

Glenn Hughes vocals are fabulous and he has that special powerful rock voice ideally suited to the band. His bass is a superb complement to Jason Bonham's heavy and full drumming.
Derek Sherinian plays Hammond and Korg keyboards and adds a sense of old prog rock feel to the mix.
Joe Bonnamassa has been able to change from being a blues legend to a hard rock god with ease and plays some superb riffs and then comes out with some brilliant solos especially in Beggarman and Song of Yesterday.

If you are a fan of Purple, Zeppelin, Free you will not go wrong buying this great CD.
on 11 November 2010
Can't believe some of the negative reviews on here for this album as I think its a cracker considering how quickly they recorded it. I am a long time Joe Bonamassa fan and I know he is a big Zeppelin fan, so I did expect something along those lines for his first true 'rock' album. I have to admit I didn't know a great deal about Glenn Hughes music but I have to say he gives a great vocal performance considering he is getting on a bit and his various problems over the years. Jason Bonham is a rock solid drummer.

I would describe this as a fun album and it really sounds like the guys are enjoying themselves. Joe is an incredible guitarist and really lets himself go on this album. There are a few weak tracks later on but some absolute classics as well that i have never got tired of listning to.

Some people have compared the album to Chickenfoots, which I found tired and really rock by numbers. Each to their own I guess, but if you are a fan of Joe or Glenn you will not be disappointed in this album. After Slash's album I would say it's my second favourite classic rock album of the year. I buy a lot of music and I am very fussy, but this album definitely ROCKS!!
on 27 September 2010
First things first, I am a Glenn fan. However, I feel that this work is his least convincing since Soul Mover. The tracks on this album are well played by the stellar musicians which one would expect. However, I can't help but feel that Glenn spoils this album in places by simply overdoing things vocally. This, of course is a crime he has often been accused of in the past, but which I felt he had reined in on his recent releases. Here, however, I frequently found myself cringing as Glenn lets rip with one too many scream, yelp, and whoop. It's just not necessary for someone like him who actually does have a fantastic voice to completely overdo it! More restraint in places should definately have been the order of the day.

That said, it's not all bad as there is plenty potential here- it's just a shame they didn't have the time to spend a little longer on the songs and in particular the melodies as I sometimes feel it's the excellent playing which just about saves some of the average material here. All in all, this album is OK, but in my mind doesn't live up to the hype it was given.
on 21 September 2010

Derek Sherinian plays Hammond and Korg keyboards and adds a sense of old Purple feel to the mix.

on 22 November 2010
I read the reviews before buying and I braced myself for some disappointment, having purchased it anyhow on the good name of those great musicians. Well I beg to differ - I really like this album. It is nowhere near as bad as some previous reviews will make you expect. Bonamassa's guitar takes a new sound and tempo here, a new dimension perceived on occasion in some of his previous work. GLenn Hughes spares no effort, he hollers and screams with passion all across the CD. And the songs are good, in fact, quite a few hooked me at the first listen. So no, it is NOT a dud album, and I recommend it. WELL DONE.
on 25 September 2010
Now lets get something straight from the start these guys didn't say they were out to create something brand new. They said they were going to make a classic rock album in the traditonal sense of the word brought into the noughties nothing more nothing less.

Forget the super group tag its really does deflect from what really matters which is does the music stand up. Without a doubt yes. I have a broad taste in music and I have to say I can't remember the last time an album has made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

I won't go into disecting all the songs but I will say that you are unlikely to hear a more natural sounding album (thanks Kevin Shirley). This is certainly not an over produced album and no 6 months doing overdubs and ruining the spirit of the tracks. What you hear is a group of guys sparring so effectively off each other. No ego's in the way just four friends having fun.

All these tracks are made to be played live. What other recent album can you say that about. If you like Classic Rock with memorable hooks and virtuoso raw performances this is a great investment.
VINE VOICEon 24 September 2010
I don't know if this will last but I hope they do and develop what sounds very promising. For most of the album it just rocks with dare I say it quite a late Zeppelin like feel. Only occasionly does the singing grate a bit is that its self consciously 'rock' and quite remeniscent of Deep Purple (not too surprising really..)
It all comes together on songs like Revolution , Lost Soul and I think they definately have something.
In spite of my making comparisons to other great bands (them being a supper group and all...) Black Country Communion definately have their very own heavy rock sound tempered by the 'less heavy' blues rock guitar influences of Joe Bonamassa
An excellent album well worth a listen