4.0 out of 5 stars Blackberry doing what it does best, almost.
I have been using Blackberrys now for a number of years and tried all the different types. It is part of my job to find the ones that work for the business. That always used to be a given for Blackberrys but sadly no more.

Published on 16 Dec. 2010 by J. Potter

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great
I have been using blackberry mobiles for the last 2 years (first bold 9700 and then bold 9790)

Positives:
- bkackberry messenger...
Published on 8 Oct. 2011 by samase

4.0 out of 5 stars Blackberry doing what it does best, almost., 16 Dec. 2010
J. Potter "johniebg" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: BlackBerry Bold 9780 Sim Free Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)

The Blackberry products come in two core flavours. The Bold which are the higher end devices and the Curve which typically are more workmanlike. Of course there are also the RIM touchscreen offerings and while the latest Torch is an improvement over the mostly dire Storms, it is still clunky, looks gunmetal retro and weighs a lot in your bag or jacket pocket.

So here we are with the Bold 9780, a slightly revamped version of the 9700. It feels great in hand, small enough to be used practically as a phone but light and solid at the same time. The build quality you expect of the Bold range. The key change is in the OS, the 9780 sports the RIM OS6 which contains lots of sliding menu's and a webkit browser, which is a huge improvement over its old offering. There is also more memory and a bigger camera.

The real deciding factor is OS6. Is it better than OS5? Yes it is. Is it that much better? Not really. It is still limited and the OS6 is still a little buggy and often slow. Anyone that makes a comparison or claim that it is better than the iPhone is quite frankly off their head. The Bold is a pretty take on the classic Blackberry although with a great camera. I dislike the Bold keyboard intensely, my fingers keep sliding off the sloped keys. I much prefer the flat scrabble style keys of the Curve, but then you cannot get a Curve with the touchpad and good camera. Why RIM never just upgraded the brilliant Curve Javelin (8900 - great camera but flawed rollerball navigation) with a touchpad I would love to know.

If you are a fan of the Bold line then this is going to keep on pleasing you. If you are new to Blackberry and are looking for a stylish device as a central point for managing your various emails, this will do the job very well. The Curve would be my preferred Blackberry for the keyboard but none in the range have a good camera. If you want a good camera you need the Bold. If you are looking for versatile apps to improve your everyday and email as an aside then this is not the stop for you. You should check out the HTC Android phones (brilliant) or iPhone (brilliant if it was not tethered to one computer and itunes!)

Update May 2011: This is still my favourite 3G Blackberry device currently on the market. The Curve 8900 remains my all time favourite but is 2G and has a track ball which can get sticky. The camera on this Bold 9780 is great(in context to mobile cameras), with pictures very acceptable when viewed on larger computer screens. I have got used to OS 6 although rely mostly on the brilliant keyboard shortcuts anyway (so seldom use the menus). Like I have said, Blackberrys are the best stop for anyone wanting to manage email on one device, especially if you need to respond on the move. I also use Twitter and Facebook here as well which work well. There are only two real downsides to this phone from my perspective. 1) The new browser is much better than the old one but you are going to struggle with any website that is not specifically designed for small screens. It does a much better job of making the content readable but it is still a pain. 2) My biggest problem though remains the keyboard. The keys are sloped and my fingers often slip off them making longer emails frustrating sometimes. This sloped key design was popular on the bigger devices but just does not work on the smaller devices where the scrabble style flat keys are much better.

I hope this review was helpful to you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 8 Oct. 2011

Positives:
- incredibly fast email service
- qwerty keyboard is wonderful for typing
- easy to place a phone call just by pressing the traditional green button
- good quality media player/great sound quality
- bkackberry messenger

Negatives:
- very slow in general (web browsing, installing apps, finding apps on app world)
- freezes quite often
- everytime you delete an app you have to re-start the device and it takes ages to do so!
- web browsing can be very frustrating as it is too slow and more often than it should there's a message that says 'requested server not found' and the website just doesn't upload
- handsfree that comes with bold models is bulky and looks very old fashioned
- I have to charge it everyday if I use the blackberry messenger, even if I don't make any calls and only send a few text messages

I hope people find this useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice, 26 Feb. 2011
Having spent the last few years using an LG Cookie (touchscreen) I wanted a phone that was easier to type with and with easy to use internet services...the 9780 was perfect.

I had been warned that the keyboard used with the Bold might be hard to use because there are no gaps between the keys, but I found very quickly that this wasn't a problem. The way the keys are tilted is very useful when typing with two hands (not quite as easy when composing an email or text with one hand, but if you're opting for a full keyboard on a phone then you would expect to be able to type faster if you have two hands covering the span of the keys).

The camera on this phone is excellent, to the point that if I had anticipated buying this phone more in advance I might not have spent so much money a couple of months ago on a Lumix. Obviously there is a difference between a 5mp camera and one that has 14mp, but I'm not a skilled photographer and consider the photos I take on my 9780 to be good enough to be worth uploading onto facebook in high resolution alongside those from the Lumix without them really standing out as lower in quality.

More generally, the internet, apps and other features are very easy to use, and it took me no time at all to set up my email accounts and add contacts for blackberry messenger. Of course much of this is dependent on whether or not your area has good signal coverage (its a bit hit and miss where I am) but I have found that web pages load in around 5 seconds.

I was also quite pleased with what was included in the box; many of the devices I have purchased over the years have come without wall chargers or a screen protector etc so I was glad to find them included with the Blackberry.

In conclusion, I adore this phone. It's easy to use, well designed, and looks very classy in white. Thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking for a phone with the kind of features the 9780 can provide.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed., 15 May 2012
I purchased this phone on 28th February 2011. Initially I was pleased with it, however:

I late February 2012 I was updating the O/S via the Blackberry website when it suffered a catastrophic failure. The old O/S was removed then the phone refused to accept the updated O/S. This left me with a white screen showing Error 507 Reload Software. Despite repeated attempts to reload the software nothing happened. The phone was dead. An expensive useless piece of junk.

Between 24 February 2012 and 28 March 2012 I emailed Blackberry but did not even receive acknowledgement of my emails. I also wrote to RIM but again received no answer.

I desperation I emailed Amazon at 13:31:25hrs on 24 April 2012 and explained the problems I was having with the manufacturer. I explained that although I bought the phone from Amazon I tried to speed up the repair/replacement process under the 12 month guarantee by going direct to the manufacturer, but to no avail. Within a couple of hours Amazon emailed me and apologised for the problems I was having. They informed me that they were not in a position to repair/replace the phone. I was instructed to return the phone for a full refund. This I did and was reimbursed the full purchase price within a matter of days.

Bear in mind I had owned and used this phone for about 11 1/2 months and that the manufacturer was duty bound under the 12 month guarantee and the sale of goods act to do something about this problem. I think the actions of Amazon in this matter are exemplary. I cannot sing the praises of Amazon highly enough for their customer care and attention to detail. I would recommend Amazon as a retailer to anyone, without fail.

As for Blackberry/Rim, I will never darken their doors again. What an arrogant way to treat customers.

4.0 out of 5 stars moving up to 4 stars!, 1 May 2011
I bought the 9780 about a month ago. I am a newcomer to the world of smartphones, and I have no brand bias.

My initial verdict: 3 stars. My verdict now, after another month or so of heavy use: 4 stars! I initially did not like the keyboard, but I got used to it.

The pros:
1. Very long battery life.
2. Excellent e-mail functionality.
3. Well thought through menu structure, very easy to use.
4. Surprisingly compact.
5. Good built quality.

The cons:
1. Average call quality - I expect more from a top spec business tool.
2. Browsing: Apple and Android do a far better job.

My advice: go for a cheap BB IF you are only after the e-mail functionality and go for an Android if you really care about browsing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buisness phone, 28 Dec. 2010
Allan Macintyre "whiteroom" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
Bought this phone Sim Free from Amazon UK. This is my first Blackberry phone.
I bought it mainly for the relative ease of e-mail and messenger communication and for this its fantastic. Extremly easy to set up and operate with very smooth and slick Track Pad.
Who needs touch phone when its as slick as this. I can text and e-mail one handed or two. Good camera and I have my wallpaper on 22" PC with pic from the phone. Music is great and as good as my previous Apple 3g and N95 before that. And your not burdened with rip off i-tunes.
While the keyboard is very good, its not as good as 9300. Shame. Still better than a touch phone as I've tried them both and this is much easier to use.
Downside is the relativley small screen and if your doing a lot of internet use and watching videos I'd recommend something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bold 9780 Experience, 4 Jan. 2011
Karna Hallur (Milano, Lombardia, IT) - See all my reviews
All in all the blackberry bold 9780 is quite a handy smart phone with excellent features and the new social networks app has taken the experience to a higher level. The new improved ram does seem to make the phone faster than its predecessor though sometimes there are glitches while downloading new apps.The new 5MP camera is quite handy and provides quality output. But despite all the new additions and the brand new OS6 the phone does seem a bit complicated to get used to and it takes a while before one can be efficiently zipping through its features, especially new users.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't want your phone to control you, this is the phone for you, 21 May 2011
C. AYLWARD - See all my reviews
For specifications, go here:

[...]

I never like those reviews that start off with personal information and are only interjected with anything useful, so I'll just get the relevant bit out the way (but if you're interested, there are some notes at the bottom):

My previous phones (most recent first): HTC Magic, Nokia N95, Something else

Going from touch screen to `old fashioned keypad' is a little odd these days, but I did it for two simple reasons:

- Money
- Battery life

The Blackberry 9780 was £300 cash (compared to a £600'ish iPhone4 32GB) and so far the battery shows 55% remaining, 48 hours after being charged for the first time. This is during the `honeymoon period' where you're constantly lighting the screen up and seeing what you can change next. It is the most battery consuming point of a phone ownership, so this is impressive.

IN THE BOX:

The Phone (+battery, rear cover)
Sleeve
headphones
USB PC connector cable (Can also charge the phone)
Charger (with euro/uk adaptor)
CD with Blackberry connectivity software (also available as a 120MB download)
MicroSD Memory Card (2GB)

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

That's the first thing that came to mind, partly because the phone could barely do anything email-wise (connecting to Gmail for example), must have been in Amazon storage for some time! So install the software, connect the phone and follow the update instructions....BE PREPARED FOR A LONG LONG WAIT, well in excess of an hour (not based on slow broadband/internet speeds).

Next, if you previously didn't have a Blackberry, you must contact your network provider (Vodafone, Orange, o2, etc.) because you may have to pay an additional fee per month for "Blackberry Service". For me on Vodafone, this was £5 per month and Three's monthly fee is the same. Not doing so, means that email, text and the mobile internet connection probably won't work (although voice calls will).

First impressions, you can't help but have concerns over the KEYBOARD size, and the individual size of the keys. The keyboard is a Qwerty layout and although the buttons are small, it's not too difficult to type at a reasonable speed. As I'm new to physical buttons it is taking me a while, having had a non-responsive touchscreen for nearly two years. I haven't got especially large hands, but the only way I can see how to use the keyboard is with finger nails, although this isn't too difficult to get used to and occasionally I use the flat of my thumbs, which surprisingly hit the correct key even though I cover 6 keys at the time of pressing. In fairness, the keys on the HTC were only slightly bigger, but with the use of clever predictive text, it would know when you'd mis-keyed and suggest the correct word. The 9780 does the same thing, with only a minor flaw in that you have to press the main button to accept a suggested word, whereas the space bar on the HTC combines an `accept' confirmation as well as creating a space (very clever).

The 9780 has an `alt' key for selecting the symbols on each key (or numbers) which you press once for single selection or, for instance if you wish to tap a phone number into an email, you can press and hold and continue pressing the numbers. There is also an upper/lower case button and a `sym' button for additional symbols. The latter has been well thought out because the screen is filled with symbols when you press it, each symbol has a corresponding shortcut letter (as well as manual scroll selection). For instance if you wish to write "£20" you would press `sym' then `v' and the pound sign would appear, you would then press and hold `alt' and press `2' and `0'.

NAVIGATION feels very smooth, screen transitions are doubly so, you really feel like you're gliding about with the "optical trackpad". This works in much the same way as a laptop trackpad, with the addition that an increase in finger movement, increases scroll speed (I hope that makes sense?). It has both horizontal and vertical sensitivity adjustments available, and the option to audibly roll, the latter makes the phone `ticks' when you scroll around - not good for discrete use at work, in a library, or in the cinema.

BUTTONS are a nice touch on the 9780, with fully customisable shortcuts (two in total) on either side of the phone (They activate the contacts and camera in my setup for instance). They are firm enough not to be accidentally pressed, the same goes for the volume control on the top right edge. There are two top mounted buttons for muting an incoming call and for enabling the keylock.

SHORTCUTS are very useful, for instance you can press and hold the # to change the sound profile from silent to loud. This is just one of the shortcuts, you can configure speed-dial buttons, so when I want to call Darren, I press and hold `D' as soon as I remove it from the holster/sleeve. There are probably many more shortcuts that I've yet to find.

Optional CHANGES to some settings are really well thought out. For instance you can disable the Enter key from being a button that sends text messages, in case you do hit it from time to time and send a partial message.

The SLEEVE is quite clever (although more likely sensors on the phone), quite nicely made and most importantly puts the keylock on as soon as you slip it in. Withdraw it and the keylock turns off straight away and the screen comes on `ready for action'.

TEXT SIZE is small, there's no doubt about that. You can change it, but due to the high clarity/resolution of the screen there's not much need to do so. But that's based on my fairly good eye sight.

The LIGHT SENSOR is a nice touch, the screen adjusts it's brightness based on ambient light. So if the sun is out, the screen is at maximum brightness. If you're in bed with the lights out, the screen dims so as not to burn your retinas.

BOOTING/STARTING UP is very slow, taking over a minute and a half to be usable. My logical side accepts that this is the price you pay for a reliable phone, that's quick to use once it's up and running, etc. This relates to when you've removed the battery or installed software, if you select to "turn off" in the menu, it starts up again as if it was never off (i.e. within a second).

GOOGLEMAIL/GMAIL INTEGRATION - EMAILS

This is not a fun topic to talk about, but it must be done. Before any updates the 9780 would not accept any non-enterprise email configuration, such as Gmail. Afterwards it worked quite happily and provided options such as labelling, archiving, marking as spam etc. But one thing it would not do is load emails that were received prior to the Blackberry setup. This is a shame, and part of the reason we have emails is `just in case' we need information in `that' email we received a few months ago - could be flight/check-in details for example. As a work around I installed the Gmail App ([...]) that provides full functionality. As part of the work around I disabled notification as I use the Blackberry Push program for that as it's quicker (Gmail App is not instant and checks for new email every 5 to 20minutes).

Another issue I've just noticed is that the push mail account does not `backwards' update with Gmail. For example: log into webmail via a computer web browser and archive/delete messages and the changes won't be reflected on the blackberry. I tried to `Reconcile Now' as per the option in the pop-up menu, but to no avail. So email changes are reflected FROM Blackberry TO Computer Browser, but not vice versa. Something I hope to live with until they resolve it.

This may or may not inconvenience you, but I noticed an oddity this morning. Last night I typed a draft email on my computer, via the browser based version of Gmail. I had intended to double check it this morning and then send it via the phone (assuming that either push mail or the Gmail App would sync draft responses or new drafts). It did not, the the irony that my draft response was in there...somewhere, as the conversation count was "(2)" on the email that had filled out a draft response. Just a minor niggle really, but it may make a difference to you.

GOOGLEMAIL/GMAIL INTEGRATION - CONTACTS

Contacts are synchronised perfectly well, no trouble there. (early days though, I will update this review if needed)

GOOGLEMAIL/GMAIL INTEGRATION - CALENDAR

Calendar items are synchronised perfectly well, no trouble there (again, early days, I will update this review if needed)

CABLE CONNECTION is a `bespoke Blackberry' unfortunately. I do wish they had gone the route of my original HTC Magic, that used a very standard and universal `mini USB'. Many times I found myself round a friends house in need of charging my phone, and I could easily use their Play Station 3 cable, or a camera cable in a spare drawer. Now if I want to transfer bulk files or give the phone a top up charge, I have to remember the cable.

MEMORY CARD as already mentioned is 2GB. I do feel this a little small for this day and age, although you can buy a 32GB MicroSD card for between £25-70 on ebay, or £50 from genuine online retailers such as:
[...])

The memory card can be installed by anyone with hands and eyes, you don't need to remove the battery or sim to do it, neither do you need tools.

CAMERA and VIDEO are surprising good quality, although they should be at 5MP and 640x480 respectively. The `video light' is incredibly bright and unless you were born on the sun, the average person can't have it shine in their face at any less than 1 metre. On a slightly overcast day, pictures can look a little grainy when transferred to PC, but otherwise they are more than acceptable. The camera starts up within 3 seconds, combined with the side button dedicates to photos, and you can almost `never miss a shot' (sorry for sounding like an advert!).

TAKING NOTES can be done with the `memopad' program, this can be sync'd with many programs including Outlook, or a CSV file I believe.

APP's generally cost a little money, compared to Android for instance which are largely free (initially at least). There are very few `free trials' or teasers that offer a stripped down version of what you want.

The COMPUTER SOFTWARE allows you to backup/restore your device and I would confidently say it's easier to use/more reliable than Nokia's attempts from a few years ago. Bluetooth can be used for wirelessly backing up I believe, with this software you can also organise sync'd files (music, docs, pictures) and applications (install and un-install). I found it very useful to remove duplicate contacts/calendar items when I accidentally set-up my google account twice.

MAPPING - It's nice to know where you are sometimes, and the Blackberry comes with Mapping software (and GPS). I have to admit, I'm not too impressed with rendering time of maps and will be downloading google maps soon. The HTC Magic did one thing well, and that was mapping and directions (although it would inconveniently need a restart quite often, near the end of it's life).

CONCLUSION - It's going to take a while to get used to a small screen (just over half the size of a big touchscreen phone like the HTC Desire/iPhone), but I'm already enjoying the lack of need to charge it. I can buy a spare battery if I want to (unlike the iPhone) and that would give me well over a week of medium use if needed. There are tiny details that makes you think the designers don't keep too up-to-date, such as the phone memory being in Bytes units. That was fine 5 or 10 years ago, but now the phone shows I have 224,000,000,000 Bytes, really it should be in MB (224MB's) or GB (0.224GB). A silly observation, but had someone at Blackberry been given the phone for a week, they could have resolved minor issues such as this.

I do wonder how I'm going to deal with the Gmail `one way' issue, but with any luck they will resolve this.

Finally, I received and fully charged this phone on Tuesday early afternoon. It's now Friday afternoon and it's showing 15% battery remaining - THAT is why I changed phones.

SO NOW, FOR THE PERSONAL BLURB I WARNED YOU ABOUT!

I got bored of being so heavily dependant on charging my HTC phone every night, so it was time for a change. I must admit that I hadn't considered a Blackberry, until a friend asked me for advice (I'm slightly known as a biker/geek). They said, "I don't want; a phone for playing games, may be the occasional picture. I DO want ; good battery life, texting, emailing, phoning and may be the social rubbish we're all pressured to do in a sheep-like manor".

As I was thinking of a new phone anyway and had done plenty of research (due to being off work because of a leg operation), I initially suggested either an iPhone, HTC or even one of the turnaround companies such as Samsung or Sony-Ericsson. The latter have been making some very good iPhone wannabees at a reasonable price, such as the Samsung Galaxy S II (A listed with [...]) . Surprise surprise, they had an iPhone (3rd Gen) and were sick of being dependant on that electricity stuff for charging it...every night. I said the iPhone 4 was better, but they weren't convinced that it was `better enough'. Then I suggested a Blackberry. A few moments later I thought, "hang on, I'm in the same boat as them and want exactly the same things!".

So now I'm the partially proud owner of a 9780, a non-touch screen phone - my first for 2 years. Why? Good question - it's mainly because of the battery thing as already mentioned, also because of price, as I was paying £300 cash to Amazon (via a 0% credit card!). I was a click away from buying an iPhone 4 32GB for £600'ish a number of times, but my wallet cried out, "why man! why!?!?". It wasn't that important to have the top phone of the current decade, or to be content to charge it every day (or every other day). More to the point - SIX HUNDRED POUNDS, anyone reading this can probably think of another use of that kind of money, or at least half of it, as in my case. £300 gets a flight away for a weekend, or pays for petrol for a month or two, or have several very enjoyable drunken evenings with friends. Of course there will be some iPhone `wanters' that don't know the concept of money yet, as they're at school - that wonderful marketing machine will force their parents to buy it for them. How sweet of it, once there was a time when just one parent can work, but now both have to to keep up with advertised indulgence....sorry, I'm off topic.

So that's the phone taken care of, but you may wonder why I bought the phone instead of tying myself to a 2 year contract (yet again). Well, here's the options my friend:

A) Buy a phone for £300, get a "SIM Only contract" for 12 months (300mins, 3000 texts, +internet), at £10 per month = in total costing 300 + (24 x 10 = 240) = £540

B) Get a contract for £30 per month for a £300 phone plus the type of tarrif as above'ish = 30 x 24 = £720.

OK, so only £180 saving, but out of interest, if your phone goes pop during that 2nd year, they are not going to give you another phone. Also the warranty on your phone is only for the 1st year, so unless you have phone insurance of some kind, in both cases you'll have to buy a new phone. To be honest, I mainly don't like being in a contract for 2 years, especially if there's no actually financial benefit. Even in the best case you can save £80, when really, as you're effectively investing in that mobile network for 2 years, they should give us more surely?

1.0 out of 5 stars Unrealiable., 29 Dec. 2012
M. Stowe - See all my reviews
I have had this model for 15 months, it has gone wrong twice with the same fault - the screen goes white & has to be replaced. The first time the whole phone was replaced under the 12 month warranty. The replacement phone, at 4 months old, has now developed the same fault - it is out of warranty and if I want to have it repaired it will be at my own cost.
My advice would be make sure you get at least a 24 month warranty, or failing that a samsung as this was my previous phone which is now being pressed back into service.
By the way when it was working I thought it was a good tool - but no where as good as my wife's iphone, which is 20 months old, has had no problems & still looks good.
You have been warned!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 18 Feb. 2012
I was expecting better for the money and branding. I've had this for almost a year now and its average at best. It still does what I want it to, but occasionally, I wish it did the other things its supposed to do as well. Here are my gripes and praises.
The good points:
Emails, social networking etc all work very well. My facebook twitter and all the other social rubbish flying around will no doubt work as well here as on any other smartphone. Allowing you to update your burglar/robber/stalker with your location/mood in a heartbeat at every second of the day should you wish.
Phone calls,(amazing to think this is overlooked when buying a phone these days), are as good as expected with clear microphone and speaker and an assortment of preloaded tones and whistles.
Reception is good and wifi also works well with only the odd connection issues as with any network ready gadgets, but no persistent problems.
Bluetooth always functions flawlessly with my plantronics headset and connects first time, every time.
The battery life is reasonable for a smart phone. I use mine for "actual" phone calls mostly and I can get about 3-4 days out of it.
The keypad is a good size even for my sausage fingers, (I'm an electrician by trade and train with heavy weights).
It looks sleek and feels weighty, not like a cheap construction or flimsy plastic in any way.
It has buttons, yes real buttons, which seem to have fallen by the wayside in this day and age of touchscreen this and touchscreen that. I still like to answer my phone this way so I can put it in my pocket during a call and not worry about hanging up accidentally, or feeling overly paranoid that when I'm talking on the phone I have inadvertently sent a facebook update telling everyone I'm dead by touching the screen with my chin/ear/cheek. No such problems here.
Voice dialling works well. The days of tagging contacts with pre-recorded names via the microphone are over. It has an intuitive voice dialing system that already knows how words should sound including names, which came as a surprise. A voice training tutorial is all that is needed and you can call most of your contacts without having to repeat/scream at the phone. Some of the more complex names out there might fail on this system.

The bad points:
The OS is simple and good looking but very flawed. For some unknown reason I can't watch youtube videos anymore. I have no idea why, it simply goes to buffering after 2 minutes and then just stops. It worked fine initially but now, same problem even after reset. So I've given up on videos.
Web browsing is terrible. The screen size does not help in this day of huge fancy web pages with all the content under the sun on them. You will only see a fraction of the pages and have to fiddle around with the zoom feature, which involves using a dropdown menu, clicking on zoom, using trackpad, scrolling to appropriate size, then clicking on end zoom. All very cumbersome and slow. This of course means you can see more of the page, but won't actually be able to read anything. So, back to zoom we go and repeat steps 1-3, until eventually we can read whatever it is we were looking for. In between these operations the web pages disappear for about 5 seconds while the processor chugs along and re-sizes everything.
The browser also has a nasty habit of locking up and the cursor disappearing, leading to frenzied scolling trying to find the dam thing. This is likely to be because of touching the trackpad on certain web page features (such as highlight) causing it to go haywire, which in turn ends up with you closing the tab and starting again from scratch. The trackpad is as annoying as any laptop touchpad. Accidentally touching it whilst scrolling through web pages causes no end of chaos. These should be condemned to techie hell along with betamx and 8 track tapes.
A huge lack of applications available. No angry birds or other well known application are likely to be available and the ones that are come at a massive premium. An example would be an adobe PDF app costing £15/$20. Which was sub standard in that I wanted to read a magazine and there were only four zoom levels. Two of which were useless and the other two were too big or too small, at least for the magazine I was viewing.
The camera is good but the controls are awful. When trying to take a picture you have five icons at the bottom of the screen which use the trackpad to navigate. This can, in turn, lead to photos of pockets, tracking your GPS position to tag photos etc etc, without actually taking a picture at any point. You can use the camera button on the side to snap away but there is a good chance it'll be out of focus. When it eventually gets a snap, the pictures are pretty decent but it is a struggle to get there. Make sure those split second life changing moments never happen cos this baby won't be capturing them. Not in focus anyway.

All in all it should be better. I can honestly say I miss having a smooth, internet ready phone and I'll be avoiding blackberry in future. This phone is aimed at emails and texting rather than multimedia or apps, so keep that in mind when making your purchase and you will be fine. Provided you can tolerate the little niggling flaws it will serve you well with a decent battery life and good functionality as a phone. Anyone with poor eyesight or looking for videos and web browsing should avoid. With a little luck blackberry will address the software issues and some of the bad points will disappear. But only some.

BlackBerry Bold 9780 Sim Free Smartphone - Black