I came late to the original Percy Jackson series, and was therefore able to read them all close together. I found myself lost in the world that Rick Riordan had created, easily picturing Camp Half Blood, and enjoying all the characters we were introduced to.

I admit to feeling a little lost after the series finished, so I was excited to find out that Rick had returned to this world, with a new set of heroes.

The book starts with a boy called Jason, who finds himself on a school bus, but having no idea of who he is, or why he's there. Strangely enough though, his `friends', Piper and Leo seem to know him.

The beginning would probably be a bit confusing for someone who hadn't read the original series, and I would imagine it's better starting there if you haven't already. However, we soon find ourselves back in the familiar world of the camp, with returning characters.

As you would expect, Jason goes on a Quest, along with Piper and Leo, finding the anticipated monsters. However, it's soon clear that there's something rather different this time around, especially with the mention of Roman gods.

Some old characters are back, and others are mentioned, but the emphasis is on the new ones. Jason, Piper and Leo have interesting stories to tell, and this is certainly their book.

The joy however, is that this book obviously sets us up for a whole new series - which I'm very much looking out for!
on 23 October 2013
Rick Riordan's five Percy Jackson novels were all phenomenally successful tales of adventure that captivated readers through retelling and modernised reimagining of the Greek myths. Although the Percy Jackson cycle seemed to have been wrapped up nicely, fans were hoping that Riordan would eventually return to the Greeks and the world of the demigods [after having branched out into Egyptian mythology with The Kane Chronicles] and he has now done so in excellent style with The Lost Hero.

Set a few months after the events of The Last Olympian, The Lost Hero begins during a Wilderness School [a sort of educational Last Chance Saloon] fieldtrip to the Grand Canyon. Jason wakes up on the school bus with no memory of why he is there nor, more troublingly, of who he actually is. It's all particularly strange since everyone else seems convinced that they know him and so Jason has to adapt to apparently having a girlfriend named Piper, a best friend named Leo Valdez and even a disapproving teacher in the form of Coach Gleeson Hedge. Things only get stranger for Jason as the school party are attacked by a group of storm spirits, Coach Hedge is revealed to be a satyr who talks tougher than he fights, and Jason discovers that he's a pretty nifty swordsman who happens to be able to fly. My school trips were never this exciting.

Luckily, fan favourite Annabeth and a cohort of other demigods arrive by flying chariot and whisk Jason, Piper and Leo off to the relative safety of Camp Half-Blood. Once at Camp Piper and Leo are promptly claimed by their godly parents but, despite Chiron seeming to have some insight, Jason's origins remain a mystery. Although he has no memory of his past, it is clear that Jason is no stranger to the concept of gods and demigods even if his knowledge owes more to the Roman tradition than to the Greek. While Jason is keen to discover his origins, Annabeth is more concerned about locating the missing hero, Percy Jackson. Fortunately, Rachel Elizabeth Dare, everyone's favourite redheaded Oracle, is also back at Camp Half-Blood and able to deliver a handy new prophecy: "Seven half-bloods shall answer the call,
To storm or fire the world must fall. An oath to keep with a final breath, And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death."

As rumours of a terrible curse - and talk of the missing hero - swirl around the Camp, it becomes clear that Jason, Piper and Leo are the chosen ones who must embark on a terrifying new quest to rescue the imprisoned goddess Hera. If they don't succeed by the time of the Winter Solstice - now only four days away - the world will once again be facing deadly danger as the gods retreat to Mount Olympus and leave the demigods to fight for humanity in their place.

The Lost Hero is a great book in its own right and is an excellent introduction to Rick Riordan's new Heroes of Olympus series. Although readers could probably still follow the events of The Lost Hero without being familiar with the five Percy Jackson novels, there is certainly a great deal more to be gained from the story if you are aware of Riordan's previous work. Although Percy himself is not involved, a number of established characters besides Annabeth, Chiron and the gods themselves turn up throughout the course of the book and there are frequent references to previous events.

The style of The Lost Hero is noticeably different from the Percy Jackson books as, logically, it is not humorously narrated in the first person by Percy, but is instead told in the third person with Jason, Piper and Leo taking it in turns to be the central focus of two chapters apiece. I don't think that The Lost Hero loses out through being a third person narrative, indeed I like the additional points of interest that the use of three central characters provides. The tone of the narrative does change slightly depending on which of the three is the focus of the chapter with the Leo chapters being the most amusingly similar to the way Percy would have told the story. As for the three characters themselves, I liked them all although Leo [along with Festus the dragon] is my favourite. It is interesting watching Jason as he struggles to understand his newfound powers and to adapt his `Roman' view of things into his quest with his Camp Half-Blood friends. While Jason is something of a blank slate, both Piper and Leo are each keeping big secrets that will impact not only on their quest but also on their friendship with each other.

Rick Riordan had said in interviews that, even though the Percy Jackson series was finished, there were still Greek myths that he wished he had had a chance to use and it seems that he is going to do so with a flourish in the Heroes of Olympus series. I particularly liked his interpretation of the characters of Medea and Midas in The Lost Hero and his use of lesser known Greek characters such as Boreas. Having the Roman element of the myths playing a role in this new series also allows for the interesting conflicts between the Greek and Roman interpretations of the gods and their duel motivations to be brought out.
on 21 September 2013
I have to say, coming off the high of The Last Olympian, this book is plain and simple: a letdown.

Let's start, however, with the positives. I was immediately ecstatic when I started reading because Riordan had decided to switch to third person narrative. I've always been a bigger fan of this style of writing, and here it did the story justice as well. The immediate result is a tone that just seems a lot more mature, and that suits the story because the characters are now in the later teen years.

Riordan stuck to his winning formula, but honestly the sixth time... He's walking a thin line - kind of getting repetitive. I'm fully aware however that my exhaustion with the formula is due to me reading all of these Riordan books in a row. However, that was never an issue with, for example, Harry Potter.

Although the story started slow, the last quarter of it definitely picked up and made up for some of the...shortcomings.

Now, I may have ruined this book for myself by reading at a slow pace (averaging 10% per day), but hey, exams are next week, give me a break. But whether or not that be the reason, I just could not connect to these characters. They're plucked out of nowhere, no introduction at all, and honestly during the whole book all I'm thinking is "Where is Percy?" "What's Annabeth doing?" "Can they meet up already?" I had no patience for these new characters. I couldn't relate to them, but I can't put my finger on why. At the end, Leo is the only one of the new "main" characters that I thought was sort of cool. He'd really be cool if he stopped thinking that every girl that comes along is hot. Piper annoys the HELL out of me because she's... she's like the damsel in distress, Mary Sue character, but then they try to make her better than that by giving her mindbending powers? But no actual fighting strength? And honestly, reading her POV, her convictions aren't that strong anyway. In the first half of the book I just wanted to halfway strangle her because of the teenage angst. I like my female characters to be good for something. But hey, she's Aphrodite's daughter. Surprise, surprise. And Jason. I don't want to be so hard on him because he lost his memories, but the result of that is that he became a completely stiff and static character. Even now, having finished the book, I have no idea how I would describe him or his personality, and that to me is a sign that you haven't fleshed out your characters enough.

That all being said, I think the multiple POV style probably contributed to not being able to connect to them. Multiple POV to me is such a disjointed writing style and the result is I don't have a grasp or true liking of any of the characters. Although, since the three characters were still there, together, for all the events, Riordan did multiple POV better than some other books I've read recently. However, I do still think it was unnecessary! Honestly, if the whole book had been from Jason's POV I think it would have been much better. I'd gladly read the thoughts of someone desperately grasping for any hints of his old memories and who he truly is. That sounds way more appealing than what we ended up with here. And that may have enabled me to like a couple of the characters more. (Never not never ever need to read Piper's POV.)

The story itself seemed a bit contrived... I can't help it. I mean, at the beginning they're given a prophecy to save Hera and then the whole journey long they just think about saving Piper's dad. I get it, that's important too, and it would be heartless not to. But you know, when the result is that at the end they were JUST A BIT too late to stop Porphyrion from rising.... it's just... Exhausting. Also, all the constant hinting, "Oh, it's forbidden to speak of this, I swore on the River Styx" "You must find out for yourself, or it will have no meaning" - it's a requirement for these fantasy/adventure books, I know, but after 50th time, you start wanting to bang your head against the wall.

The ending just completely killed the book. I mean, it wasn't a surprise. Honestly, if you hadn't figured it all out yet by like halfway through the book, you weren't paying attention. But when it's just written like that: Percy's in the Roman camp. He has to prove himself to aggressive Roman demigods. And he probably has no memories whatsoever. My reaction: UMMM CAN THIS BOOK BE REDONE FROM HIS PERSPECTIVE THEN? Seriously. I feel like his story would be SO MUCH MORE INTERESTING than this one.

Ultimately, I think for one: I should have read this book more continuously to be able to enjoy it. My fault, I admit. But furthermore: it rushed into the story, introducing characters I had absolutely no idea about and just kept me from connecting. For this book I was really on the outside, looking in, and that left way too many opportunities to roll my eyes at the characters, their actions and their thoughts. That was never a problem during Percy Jackson & the Olympians. I will, however, continue with the series. I'm not giving up here. Despite the issues I had with it, it wasn't all bad, hence the 3.5 rating. I firmly believe that once Percy comes around I will truly enjoy it again. And the prophecy sounds interesting enough.

Recommended for: fans of Percy Jackson.
on 2 November 2014
This is the first book in Rick Riordan’s The Heroes Of Olympus series. This series is the spin off series to the Percy Jackson and The Olympians series. I have not read all of the previous series, with only the first book having being read. I will be going back a reading that series once I have finished with this one. I wondered if having skipped the Percy Jackson series would effect my enjoyment of this book, with things like references or characters. But my fears were unfounded this book provides enough background information for it to stand on its own. The book focuses on three new children who just discovered their demi-god heritage and there first quest in the world.

I liked the development of the three new demi-gods and they learnt about the ‘other’ world and there own powers. Each of them are unique and fun to read about. I liked the length and the pacing in this book. There is enough story to give a nice amount environment setting while not waffling and slowing the story down. The main story was interesting, which I won’t go into here so as to not spoil it for others.

There is not much in this book that I can think of as disliking. In fact after sitting here for a few minutes and coming up empty for something to say I didn't like, the only thing I could think of was having to wait for the next book in the series to arrive.

I really enjoyed this first book. Which kind of surprised me considering its target audience. The three main characters were interesting and diverse leading to you connecting with them. The story was well paced, with nothing that felt it was added just to increase the word count.
Overall this is a very nice book. I have now placed my order for all of the other books in the series. Lets hope they live up to my expectations after having read thus one.

I would rate this book a 9 out of 10.
on 25 January 2013
4½ Out of 5
Beware: "The last chapter approaches, just as it did before. The worst is yet to come..."
Jason doesn't know who he is. And not in an identity-crisis, don't-know-who-I-am kind of way. No. Jason has complete and total amnesia. He doesn't even know how old he is. Or that he has a girlfriend called Piper or a best friend called Leo. Or why he's at the Wilderness School: "where the kids are the animals", a place for "bad kids". He just has no idea. About anything.
All he knows is that he has a very, very bad feeling about everything - but especially when he's taken to Camp Half-Blood, where the offspring of the Greek gods go. He has a feeling that he just doesn't belong - especially here. Doesn't belong at all...
Piper was dating Jason. But now he doesn't even remember her. To make things worse, her father is missing - and has been for three days. Ever since she had a foreboding dream, threatening her father's life if she doesn't follow the instructions they - whoever they are - give her.
She doesn't know what everything means. Only that she might have to sacrifice everything to get her father back...
Leo's always been good at making things. He has a way with his hands. So Cabin Nine at Camp Half-Blood feels right - like home. Even if he doesn't really buy any of the demigod crap.
But there's more than meets the eye to Camp Half-Blood, especially with one of the most important campers missing, the Gods being silent, the talk of a mysterious curse and rumours of a missing goddess.
And the possibility of a whole new war, one that reveals a long hidden secret and threatens everything the demigods believe...
Welcome back to Camp Half-Blood, everyone...
I love the Percy Jackson series to death - like literally. So I just had to read this new series. A break in my reading schedule meant I could get stuck in. And, oh, how I wish I'd picked it up much, much sooner! I forgot just how much I love Rick Riordan. His books are action packed, fast paced, addictive, hilarious and just so all-round amazing. And I just adored all the new characters and seeing some of my old favourites. I can't wait to get stuck into the next book - God, I love this world...!
Rick Riordan's characters are always amazing: so real and totally believable. Jason, even though he had no memories, was somehow an amazingly strong character. He was brave and strong and caring, always looking out for the ones he cared about. I'll admit that at the beginning, his lack of memory made him a little flat but his fierce personality and strong spirit just won me over. And Piper was so strong - snarky and totally her own person. I absolutely adored her reaction to finding out who her goddess mother was - it was freaking hilarious! With her strength and determination and iron will, you wouldn't think her mother would be who she is. I just loved her fight, her strength, her spirit: she was the perfect heroine. But Leo was just my favourite. He really was a very, very "special boy". Every time he was in a scene, I was cracking up. And underneath the wisecracks, he was so, so damaged. That damaged, vulnerable side made me love him even more - I love him so, so much that he might just be my favourite character in the whole of this world. At the very least, he's tied with Percy.
I loved all of the new characters - and seeing some of my favourites from the original series. Like Thalia: I've always loved her, but even more now we know more about her past. Her story melted my heart! And one of my new faves is Coach Gleeson Hedge - who called everyone "cupcake" and liked to yell "die" all the time and wanted to kill anything that moved. He was hilarious! I also really liked Hephaestus, god of blacksmiths, and Aeolus - he was funny! I also liked the way Riordan portrayed Aphrodite - she wasn't just petty or whatever like she is in most people's minds. Instead she was caring and clever too. And Hera killed me, with her love-hate relationship with our heroes. I especially liked it when she threatened to turn people into an "aardvark". LOL! I loved how we got to know Hera so much better - why she's always so bitter towards demigods. She just makes so much more sense to me now.
I've always loved Rick Riordan's writing and I loved the split POVs in this book: our narrators were Jason, Piper and Leo. I felt like we really, really got to know each of our main characters, something I loved. Sure, it made the beginning a little less actiony than the Percy Jacksons, but I loved it so much nonetheless. Especially as the different perspectives seemed to have a different voice - it was all in 3rd person, but it felt like three totally different people. I loved that! Now, Rick always seems to open his books on such classic and amusing one liners that always leave you desperate for more. The Lost Hero, for example, starts with the line: "Even before he got electrocuted, Jason was having a bad day." Classic or what?! And it so works. I couldn't put the darn book down from that point onwards. Which brings us to the plot. It was amazing! The beginning bit and some of the quest bits gave me a little déjà vu moment for The Lightning Thief - but I didn't really care: I was enjoying it way too much! And I loved how the action soon kicked off with a real bang! I did see bits of it coming, but that didn't take away from my enjoyment in the slightest!
And I really like the romance in the story - enough to keep me completely interested but not so much it would put younger people off.
As I mentioned before: My freaking Gods, I love this world! It kicks all kinds of butt! I so wanna move there and be a demigod at Camp Half-Blood! But quick question: haven't the gods heard of birth-control?! I love all the mythology - especially as we have a whole new set of myths to get stuck into. Man, I wanna go to Camp Half-Blood. But, word of warning - never play "got-your-nose" with a child of Hecate, 'cause they actually take your nose. What else d'you expect from an offspring of the goddess of magic?
It's no wonder Riordan's series are made into films. They're classic cure-reluctant-readers type books - books kids, teens and adults can fall in love with like that, instantly. The books are literally faultless - I honestly can't think of a single negative thing about any of these books!
Action packed, fast paced and so utterly addictive, The Lost Hero had me hooked start to finish, hanging onto every single word and left me wanting more, more, more! I laughed, I was scared, I was hooked. I couldn't get enough. I swear, Riordan is like a freaking drug - you read a single page if one of his books and you instantly need more - to gobble up the whole book and the rest of the series. I'd be more than happy - overjoyed, really - to read all of the books he's ever written back to back in one sitting. So if you're looking for a kickbutt, action-packed, hilarious and just overall fun read, you must check this one out! ASAP!
on 20 October 2010
Now here's a task that one could describe as impossible. Write a follow-up series to the ridiculously popular Percy Jackson series.

But Rick Riordan has taken up that challenge, and he has succeeded.

Yes, he has changed styles, and he has, by quite a considerable margin, written the longest Percy Jackson story, but the length is justified as Riordan begins his epic odyssey, and the characters are each different and likeable (come on, who didn't howl with laughter at Piper's putting down of the former cabin councillor?). It's also interesting to go into more detail about the other cabins, and certain developments that won't be mentioned here do make sense in retrospect.

Besides, who can't like a giant mechanical and somewhat broken dragon named Happy? (Oh so easy to make a reference to a certain song...)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Jason is on a bus in the middle of the desert. He is with Piper, his girlfriend, and Leo, his best friend. The only problem is, he has no recollection of anything that happened to him before waking up on the bus. Then the trio are attacked by a monster and rushed off to Camp Half-Blood, where they learn they are demigods.

But all three of them have secrets, potentially deadly secrets. They must ban together on a quest to free the goddess Hera before the winter solstice. But will their secrets tear them apart?

While this may be the first in a new series, it definitely is a follow up to the Percy Jackson series. While Percy is missing in this book, several other characters from that series make appearances, and the events of book 5 are discussed. So don't start here.

But do read this book. Yes, at times it seemed over long, but I'm not sure what I would cut out. The action and mystery never lets up until the end. The characters were wonderful. I love all three of the main ones and wanted to see them succeed even against overwhelming odds.

If this is any indication of what we have to look forward to with the rest of this series, I can't wait to read more. It's a great adventure novel for kids of all ages.
on 28 October 2013
OK. This is kind of a review of both lost hero and son of poseidon . The start was SOOoo promising. It really drew me in. However, because of the three view points the characters have not had enough time to "mould" properly (as a writer myself i use odd language.) Piper is the "I swoon over Jason" fangirl. She really has no character. Annabeth is so muh cooler. Jason is awesome from the start; He would've been a good character. However he is stiff, perfect hero blah blah blah. At least Percy had a proper character and was funny :) Leo is my favorite. He has a much better (and NEW) personality. However the other to completely ignore him mostly. Great. Overall theplot was OK nothing special. Better plots could've been.
Sonof Poseidon is a bit better. I truely DO NOT like Frank and Hazel however. Frank is boring and Hazel has a "deep dak secrt" tht just annoys m to Hades and back. Why couldn't she just be a demigod? Frank is a lost cause to me. Why bring chinese stuff into it? Percy remember nothing which is annoying. A roman camp is an ok idea but not presented the best. Anyway; Mark of Athena and House of hafes is much better :D
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My children were so sad when we finished the last of the Percy Jackson books. When we found out that there was a new series (The Heroes of Olympus), they were over the moon. The Lost Hero starts with the news that Percy has disappeared and has been gone for some time. We are then introduced to three new characters, Piper, Jason and Leo, who we meet on a disastrous field trip where their lives are suddenly turned upside down as they find themselves attacked by wind spirits and being saved by an ageing satyr who they believed was their sports coach.

The story zips along at Riordan's usual frantic pace. There is still the most fantastic mixture of mythology and modern life, which made the original series so refreshing to read, and the characterisation and plot are outstanding. We thoroughly enjoyed it and are so looking forward to reading the second volume.
on 11 April 2013
That book was WOW MEGA EPIC, I loved this book this book is amazing and wonderful with imaginations and if you read Percy Jackson series then you would surely love this, there are new characters including the old characters like Percy Jackson and annabeth Chase, and in this book it is both Roman and Greek with the discovery of a new camp which is Roman. Plus both versions of Greek gods and goddesses and Roman gods and goddesses. This book is full of adventures, I'm sure you would love it. Once you read it you won't stop reading or putting your book down.
Please do read it it is a fantasy, mythical, monstrous, imaginative book.
So if you liked the Percy Jackson series, myths, mythical monsters, action, adventures, fighting and both Greek and Roman gods and goddesses then you will absolutely love this book.
By afsana. U