I came late to the original Percy Jackson series, and was therefore able to read them all close together. I found myself lost in the world that Rick Riordan had created, easily picturing Camp Half Blood, and enjoying all the characters we were introduced to.

Published on 28 Nov 2010 by Michelle Moore

2.0 out of 5 stars The Lost Hero - Audio CD
This is not a review of the book. This a review of the audio CD. Anyone who wants to read a review of the book to find out if they like the story should go to the book reviews.

Published on 30 Dec 2010 by mad hatter

4.0 out of 5 stars A return to the world of Percy Jackson, but with new characters and new twists!, 28 Nov 2010
Michelle Moore (Dartford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

I admit to feeling a little lost after the series finished, so I was excited to find out that Rick had returned to this world, with a new set of heroes.

The book starts with a boy called Jason, who finds himself on a school bus, but having no idea of who he is, or why he's there. Strangely enough though, his `friends', Piper and Leo seem to know him.

The beginning would probably be a bit confusing for someone who hadn't read the original series, and I would imagine it's better starting there if you haven't already. However, we soon find ourselves back in the familiar world of the camp, with returning characters.

As you would expect, Jason goes on a Quest, along with Piper and Leo, finding the anticipated monsters. However, it's soon clear that there's something rather different this time around, especially with the mention of Roman gods.

Some old characters are back, and others are mentioned, but the emphasis is on the new ones. Jason, Piper and Leo have interesting stories to tell, and this is certainly their book.

The joy however, is that this book obviously sets us up for a whole new series - which I'm very much looking out for!

5.0 out of 5 stars Percy Jackson: Heroes of Olympus - The Lost Hero, 20 Oct 2010
Now here's a task that one could describe as impossible. Write a follow-up series to the ridiculously popular Percy Jackson series.

But Rick Riordan has taken up that challenge, and he has succeeded.

Yes, he has changed styles, and he has, by quite a considerable margin, written the longest Percy Jackson story, but the length is justified as Riordan begins his epic odyssey, and the characters are each different and likeable (come on, who didn't howl with laughter at Piper's putting down of the former cabin councillor?). It's also interesting to go into more detail about the other cabins, and certain developments that won't be mentioned here do make sense in retrospect.

Besides, who can't like a giant mechanical and somewhat broken dragon named Happy? (Oh so easy to make a reference to a certain song...)

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!!!!!, 26 Jan 2011
This review is from: Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero: 1 (Kindle Edition)
if u loved the percy jacson series u will not be able to put this book down! really enjoyed it, cant wait for the next book in the series! i would recommend it to everyone, especially harry potter fans!
rated by a 12 year old.

5.0 out of 5 stars You're never too old for these stories., 9 Feb 2011
F. J. Ashton "Frances Ashton" (Great Torrington.Devon.UK.) - See all my reviews
I have been a fan of Percy Jackson since the first book, I bought it for my children and was hooked from the first page. This book has new characters and a new story line but, holds the attention like all the other books. Once picked up this book is difficult to put down and you seriously begin to wonder if that last storm we had was real or was it the "mist"? If only I had, had the choice of reading that teenagers had today it would have enjoyed reading more when I was younger. Role on the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book!!!!!!!!!, 28 Dec 2010
This review is from: Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero: 1 (Kindle Edition)
His was such a brilliant book, well done Rick, you did the impossible, you managed to get away from that cliff-hanger and completely turn the ideas of some of the God's around, I had so much fun reading it that I completely lost track of time I finished it at about 1:00 in the morning, thanks for not letting your Percy Jackson fans down, please keep writing,thankyou.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Lost Hero - Audio CD, 30 Dec 2010

This is a review to congratulate the listening library for choosing someone who is completely unable to read out loud. I know he can adapt his voice for different characters (though some voices especially the girls are really irritating and flat), however he is incapable of reading a book so that the words flow smoothly. He pauses at odd places in the narrative text. His voice goes up and down in tone for no reason. It's all really irritating. It's not that I thought that the reader of the Percy Jackson books was that great (& he certainly improved after the first two books) - but he is a genius compared to this chap.

I seriously doubt that I shall be purchasing the next book in this series on audio cd if the same chap is reading and I suspect this audio book is heading for Oxfam.

I am afraid that the pleasure in listening to an audio book is completely spoiled if the person reading it is incompetent. Reading out loud is a skill and while this chap may be a good actor he does not have this skill.

5.0 out of 5 stars It just gets better..., 13 Oct 2010
It was a tough task, really. It would get a bit stale if the author just carried on in the same, unchanged universe. On the other hand we'd feel cheated if things changed too much and we didn't get what we paid for. I'm pleased to say that Rick's played it just right.

The characters are great (humans, demis, and others), and there's a great new twist which has set the stage for this series. Unfortunately I can't tell you too much in this review, since the twist pretty much forms the plot of this first book.

Safe to say, if you liked Percy Jackson, you'll love this book. And if you haven't read the Percy Jackson books, best start back there - this one will still be waiting when you get to it.

Brilliant, brilliant book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read, 9 Jan 2011
I'm a massive Rick Riordan fan and his latest instalment has lived up to my expectations. I read the Percy Jackson series when they first came out and loved the characters and locations. The new book does the same for me. The main difference is that the book is told by the three main characters (Jason ,Leo and Piper)in a similar way to Rick Riordans previous book "The Red Pyramid". Sometimes it became confusing with the constant changing of the characters but it also helped me to understand the character. The plot is faltless it was action packed and exciting, I really liked the ending which sets the reader up for the next book which should be released next autumn.

A must buy for any avid reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Heroes of Olympus... WOW!!!!!, 18 Oct 2010
If you have read the Percy Jackson books, then this book is a MUST READ.
Many characters from the previous books are present along with new ones.
From the start to the end, the book is gripping and has a fantastic twist that keeps you on the edge of your seat.
It is the beginning of a great new series. Can't wait for the next one!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars These books are my life., 22 Aug 2014
This review is from: Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero: 1 (Kindle Edition)
First thing`s first, let`s get this straight: LEO VALDEZ IS MINE! At first, I wasn`t sure about this series and it broke my heart just as much as it broke Annabeth`s heart to see her and Percy seperated. To this day I still detest Hera. Then I fell head over heels for Leo (the Super Sized McShizzle, wink wink) and now the Heroes of Olympus consumes my entire existance. I`m serious, this book series keeps me going all the time. You won`t regret reading this! I love you Leo! <3 ;)

Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero: 1