4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, but not the best fit

3.0 out of 5 stars fine for its price, yet with some flaws
Published on 4 Dec. 2011 by delta

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, but not the best fit, 31 Oct. 2011
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Duragadget Genuine Leather Case & Cover with Stand for Kindle - Black (Personal Computers)
Ordered in black, this case designed for the All-New Kindle (ANK) is definitely an improvement in quality terms over the Duragadget cases of Kindle Keyboard (KK). The case is made from decent quality, soft-feeling matt-finished leather and (presumably in response to criticisms regarding the materials of the previous generation of cases) has the 'genuine leather' hide-mark stamp embossed on the reverse of the cover. The case opens and closes via magnetic fastenings at the top and has a nifty incorporated adjustable tab stand. Thanks to offers, the case is reasonably priced and (for some users) handily incorporates a charger.

So why not 5 stars?

Firstly, although the materials and finish of the case are an improvement on previous generation of cases, the fit of the one I received leaves something to be desired. On the case I got, the leather strips at the top and sides of the Kindle bulge badly. This is un-aesthetically-pleasing, but also casts shadows on the screen of the Kindle making the text more difficult to read - particularly under electric lighting.

Secondly, the bulging of the side strips of leather leaves them partially obscuring the page turn buttons, despite their cut-out design, thus making the buttons harder to press. Since the ANK has narrower, more bevelled buttons than the KK this can make page turning much fiddlier.

Finally, there are users who have liked the previous generation of cases from Duragadget and/or want a stand-type case but don't need the bundled charger. Fair play to the manufacturers for spotting the significant flaw in the ANK release and trying to exploit it by combining two of their products. Unfortunately, though, there is no way to buy the case on its own. For those who need it, the charger is a wonderful add-on, but for those who don't it's a bit of an unenvironmentally-sound nuisance.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great kindle enhancement, 9 Jun. 2011
I was first drawn to this when looking for a kindle case was due to it's design. I think that compared to some of the others this looked like the best to have the kindle in yet still be able to read with ease. Another feature that caught my eye was the ability to stand it up. I thought that I wouldn't really use this feature that much but it was still a nice thing to have. On reciving the product however I've found that I use it a lot more that I intended! It really adds to the kindle reading experiance and to me makes me feel a bit safer with it when using my kindle outdoors as the case adds good protection and hold the kindle extremely securely in place. I've saw a few people mention in their reviews that the leather gives off a strange smell but I haven't had that problem with mine at all. It's a great value for money product which I would recommend to any person buying a kindle as I literally can't imagine mine without it! The only 'flaw' I would mention is that I would have prefered the ridges on the back, which are used to stand the kindle up, to be longer so that I could raise it lower or higher if I wanted because sometimes I just want it moved that slight bit, that is however just a personal preference.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last I found a case I liked!, 28 Mar. 2011
I have bought 3 cover/skins/case and this is the only one I have liked. It is lightweight and am really pleased with the quality. It looks really great in white! I like the fact it folds back on itself - I can't see the point of the covers that open like a book. Would really recommend - don't waste your money on other covers like I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, 7 Feb. 2011
Did a bit of research before buying this case cover. I didn't want a cover that had to be removed as I thought that the possibility of losing it would be greater
I think this product is great and makes holding my kindle easier, I purchased the white one and it is leather!, the flap at the top does actually fasten when closed up and I love the feature that supports the kindle in an upright position.
Overall it is a great product for a good price and like a previous reviewer I may even get another colour.

3.0 out of 5 stars fine for its price, yet with some flaws, 4 Dec. 2011
As pointed out in some of previous reviews, the biggest advantage of this product is its price. For 10-15£ one gets a genuine leather cover with a stand. The product quality seems to be really decent... until one puts a Kindle into it. The desing would be greatly improved if there was more space left next to the page buttons and the 5-way controller. Besides it does annoy me that the leather strip at the top of the screen is somehow bent outwards leaving a 1-2mm gap between the kindle and the strip. It doesn't look very nice and leads to a pronounced shadow effect under certain lightning conditions. Finally, the cover smelled really badly when out of the box. Only after a few days of venting it (without Kindle inside), the smell became tolerable.

All in all, you get what you pay for - a functional, decent and cheap cover with some flaws. I must admit though that I am much more satisfied with TuffLuv MultiView case for my Kindle3 Keyboard. I do regret that they do not offer a corresponding cover for Kindle4 yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent cover, 6 Nov. 2011
The new kindle is brilliant and thin but it does feel like it needs to be protected if you carry it around in a bag a lot. This cover protects it, doesn't stop you using the kindle and the combined kindle + cover is no bigger/heavier than a paperback. It also has a bonus but useful stand.

The materials are adequate (I mean you will have seen nicer leather elsewhere, but not for this price) and the standard of construction seems good.

5.0 out of 5 stars DURAGADGET White leather case for Kindle (basic model), 30 Aug. 2011
When I ordered my white Duragadget Kindle case I was just a tiny bit worried because one person wrote that theirs was a bit loose but I was glad to find that mine fitted perfectly. I choose white because I did not like the dark Kindle surround. Book pages are not surrounded by a grey-black frame so why are Kindle pages? I would have preferred a red cover to a white, but thought that red might be even harder on the eyes than black. I was not disappointed when I received my white Kindle cover. (the white is an antique white)
I liked the fact that this cover allows me to place my Kindle at an angle, leaving my hands free. My only regret is that I could not buy one in landscape mode. I need slightly larger letters and you can get more words on a page in landscape mode.
This cover is slightly heavier and bulkier than my husband's cheap cover that looks like a book, because it consists of three layers plus the stand on the back. But compared to most paper back books, still a good size and including the Kindle only weighs 401 grams or 14.14 oz which is less than a pound. This case not only looks good, is cleanable with a leather solution, but should also protect the Kindle perfectly. A negative might be if I want to take it out of its case regularly because leather does stretch with repeated use.
I would prefer to read my Kindle without its cover since it is so wonderfully light; but with grandchildren around some of the time I cannot afford to do this. There have already been a couple of times when my Kindle nearly got knocked out of my hands onto a concrete or tiled floor. So this case is going to be fine for me.

If I try very hard, I could find fault with parts of the stitching. On the back of my case there are just a couple of slipped stitches and the stitches change just a little in length here and there. There is also a very short bit where the stitching has been removed and left a few small of holes. But only a perfectionist sewer like myself would see these things. And the fact that even I can live with this case means that it is a pretty good one for its price. I wrote these negative comments so that the manufacturers would do their best to improve on it, not for the buyers to stop buying. This case is really a bargain. It not only looks good, it does exactly what it says it does.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice to use, 14 Dec. 2010
P. Banbury (Perthshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
We ordered the white version after my red one arrived (both of us have Kindles - so good for keeping baggage weight down on holidays); it arrived before the "will be released on" date - great!

They feel good, look good and the simple stand mechanism is very useful.
Why just 4 stars? A niggle about quality - the securing flap wasn't sewn perfectly horizontally, and a worry that will be the point it eventually fails. But - really glad we bought these rather than the more common book-form ones our friends have!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Kindle 4 Cover, 31 Oct. 2011
P. JONES "Jonesy" (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This cover is very good indeed! Very well stitched together and for the price, you can't go wrong. The only tiny little thing I could say that it lacks is a pocket of some description like other Kindle covers. Even without somewhere to pop train tickets or items like that, it is still well worth the money. Oh, and the charger is good too!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case for the new kindle, 31 Oct. 2011
Just purchased this Duragadget Black leather case for the new generation kindle (Oct 2011). Have to say it looks great. Looks more expensive than it is and it looks very cool. Should nicely protect the kindle from scratches/marks when being carried around in bags etc. The case opens easily and the kindle does not need to be removed while reading. Front cover opens and folds back to form the base and a stand conveniently drops down to enable you to prop the kindle up while reading, although you don't have to use the stand, ,you could just hold it like a book if you wanted. The stand and the cover close up nicely, I think there are some inconspicuous magnets that hold it neatly together. Also comes with a plug-in charger which I can now use as a spare for the kindle, and my mobile phone. Overall very happy with this purchase.