5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic TV and great value for money
Published on 29 Oct 2010 by Musicfan

1.0 out of 5 stars My First Plasma
Update 21/1/2011:-

The TV has started to show its issues, its cheap for a reason and 3 months on Comet engineer refused to do anything about it:-

I'm getting a loud buzzing noise, louder than other Plasma's and LCD's

Banding, ie black lines on a white background

Slow moving scenes, jutter a lot, ie laggy. The Dark Knight and end...
Published on 6 Nov 2010 by Awayze

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic TV and great value for money, 29 Oct 2010
Musicfan (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Samsung PS50C680G5 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Crystal Design Plasma 3D Ready TV with FreeviewHD (Electronics)
I still had a CRT TV and wanted to upgrade to a flat screen HD TV, I went along and saw a demonstration of a 3d TV. I thought 3D was just a gimmick but having seen it my mind was changed. I had to have a 3D TV. I still had a preference for an LED or LCD TV that does 3D but even for 46", they are very expensive and would have left no money for the surround sound. Then I saw this TV, 3 pairs of 3D glasses and a Samsung 3D blueray player for [...]. I thought that too good to ignore and i took the plunge. The TV is 50". It looks great. The stand, which I have not used also looks great. The picture quality is simply superb and just as good as the LED TVs. The clours are vibrant and sharp. You can make 2D into 3D and the effect is to give the picture much more depth (you have to wear the glasses). I have used the TV for 3D from sky and again the glasses must be worn, the effect is simply stunning. So much more depth. You almost feel that you are in the picture. I watched the football for the first time in 3D and the effect is 'wow'. Whether in HD or 3D the action sequences on this TV are first class. The sound quality is in stereo and is surprisingly good for such a flat screen. However, with a TV like this, I think you may well want a surround sound with it. Having looked at many TVs, I am of the view that Samsung is ahead of its competition, The TV looks great, it is easy to set up and has Freeview HD, the picture in digital, HD or 3D is excellent. I don't think you will get a better 50" flatscreen TV which does 3D for the money. Excellent value. Excellent TV. Highly recommended.

Update....3 or so months on.......I am still as impressed as when i first bought this TV. The picture is fantastic. I could not see me wanting to watch 3D all the time because you have to wear the glasses. However for the 'special events' ....fottball and films it is superb. watched Avatar on 3D over Christmas and 3D made it even better to watch. Ordinary HD or non HD......superb......great colours.......I have fitted this TV up with an Onkyu amplifier and Tannoy Speakers......a true cinema experience....I remain very impressed and would still highly recommend.....

Update.....11 months since purchase.....I remain very pleased with this TV!

1.0 out of 5 stars My First Plasma, 6 Nov 2010
Update 21/1/2011:-

I'm getting a loud buzzing noise, louder than other Plasma's and LCD's

Banding, ie black lines on a white background

Slow moving scenes, jutter a lot, ie laggy. The Dark Knight and end credits of Casino Royale is an example. No native 24p support.

If i had to recommend a TV, it would be any Japanese TV, there's a reason why the Pioneer Kuro was the best TV. If you want Plasma, go with Panasonic and if you want LED-LCD, go with Sony. You won't regret going with Japanese.

An engineer came from C***t, said nothings wrong so I'm getting a 2nd opinion now and if he says nothings wrong then I'm escalating my claim and getting an exchange, hopefully for a different TV.

My opinion as of now, stay away from Samsung 3D TV's this generation and wait for the updated Panasonic VT200 ie VT30 or Sony TV's. Go with Japanese, better quality and more reliable.

4.0 out of 5 stars £3000 V £800 - sammy wins for me, 3 Mar 2011
I received this television as part of a pack - tv + blu-ray player + 4 shrek movies + extra set of glasses (rechargeable) for £900. So be wary of the tv being sold off a cheap but equivalent package coming in more expensive...

anyway onto the tv itself.

Its plasma - which means you need to take care if it during the early months of owning it - yeha you will get IR (image retention) intially but it will fade, and yes you will need to set up the picture to your preferred preference - pretty much all tv's out of the box have awful set ups to stand out in a huge warehouse full of other tv's. However with a big of googling best settings I soon had the picture looking excellent, the black levels are not as great as my old panny plasma but then this isnt a high end model (where as my old panny was).

3d is great - you will get cross talk in some scenes (3d is two images overlaid on each other to provide depth, cross talk is where they dont overlay exactly) - this isnt always the fault of the tv but the technology itself, for most of us out there its a non issue.

Sound from speakers is good.

Bottom line is this is a sub £800 (even sub £700 on occasion) tv, that is being compared to models costing well over double the price.

Its a good televison for the average person - all the complaints you read and see are from people expecting it to perform like a £3000 panasonic televison.

Im happy with the television - although factor in costs of additional glasses as I see a need for 4 to be the minimum really.

4.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING TV!!, 27 Dec 2010
This TV really is amazing!! I got this for christmas, and the picture quality and 3D is mind blowing. It's also has Freeview HD built in so you get BBC HD and ITV 1 HD, and you really can notice the difference. The 3D is better viewed in the dark, and i particularly wanted a 3D TV for PS3 game play. I had gran turismo 5 and the 3D is brilliant. but one HUGE problem is the screen burn after playing this!! after having a race and it goes to the black loading screen you can really notice some bad screen burn and it looks worse when you take the 3D glasses off, it doesnt really bother me to much because once you got movement on the TV again then it goes. but i just thought id point it out. Another problem i got with the TV is that its constantly got a high pitched buzzing noise, maybe its just my TV? (please let me know if i got a faulty tv and yours doesnt do this so i can send it back) but it can really drive you mad after a while, you need to turn the TV volume up to sound it out. The 2D to 3D extra is a good idea and was pretty good when watching Dr Who christmas special, but it just gives it more depth, nothing pops out like the 3D Bluerays, (i recommend alice in wonderland and use the 2D to 3D feature to watch Toy Story 3) which is understandable really so im not complaining about it, but its a nice extra to have. Another downer i had was that i thought you would be able to record TV programs onto a hard drive via the usb plug, like you can on the smaller 40" version but you cant, hopefully they will bring out a software update to do this in the near future? But all in all i love it, Its a stunning looking piece of kit with the glass frame and touchscreen panel on the TV set. plus you cant go wrong for the price for a 3D TV?! I would definitely recommend :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Obsolete TV - and now Expensive, 5 Dec 2011
Update 31/12/2011
Have at last fully returned the TV and got a replacement from "Curries" complete with 4 sets of 3D Glasses.

Just to be clear the problem is that at the start of 2011 Samsung changes from Infrared Glasses to Bluetooth Glasses. The latter are a lot cheaper (at £15 a pop) and readily available, whilst the former are rapidly going obsolete and expensive (at £60 each). This is presumably part of the reason why they had been "borrowed" from the TV I had delivered (which had been manufactured 18 months ago).

So if you want 3D, then go for a modern set that suports the "3" Series glasses, and if not, then buy the far cheaper non 3D screens.

Also don't rule out local shops and the larger chains, I was committed to Samsung (having bought some glasses and a Blu Ray player), but was amazed at the deals that were on offer.

This TV is therefore worth about £500 (at end of 2011) as it is obsolete, and is much less energy effecient than it's modern (LED) replacements.

Original Review -

Great TV, great picture, shame about the service.

The issue is not with the TV per se, as the picture and sound are great - exactly what a TV should do.

However, the 3D system is not shipped with any 3D glasses. At least that's what Amazon Customer Services say, the small issue that the box states that glasses are included, the manual for the glasses is there, and the box had clearly been opened at some time makes no difference.

The Customer services suggestion was to return the item (takes 3-4 hours to wall mount and do basic setup for Sky+, Blu Ray, etc.) so that I can get a new unit sent to me seems strange, especially si9nce they followed up by suggestion they might be able to get someone to go through the units in stock, and ship me the glasses out of one them.....

So, you have been warned. There will be more sets without the glasses - and 3D is a little useless without them.

Oh the number for customer services is 0800 4961081 - but be prepared to wait as they seem a little slow in understanding, and appear to have no supervisors!

3.0 out of 5 stars read this before you buy, 10 Oct 2011
i bought this item in late march,already have problem`s with it ,in the top part of the left hand side of the screen a football size the colour purple fills the part of the screen when the volume changes,the good thing is how good amazon have been about replacing it,the customer service has been fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung PS50C680G5 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Crystal Design Plasma 3D Ready TV with FreeviewHD, 9 Sep 2011
Samsung PS50C680G5 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Crystal Design Plasma 3D Ready TV with FreeviewHDThis Tv is fantastic swapped my LG to upgrade and what a difference,the picture quality is far better than my top of the range LG plasma,The colour depth is very rich,true colours,The TV stand is quality polished chrome and really complements the Plasma.
The 3d is fantastic far better than most i have seen on the very expensive models.
yes every body expects the 3D to jump out of the screen,well i must first say,before we had this TV ,we took the children to the pictures to see 3D movies and we thought WOW,what you have to realise is that there is NO difference between the 50inch plasma and the Huge 600 foot cinema screen,only that you are viewing the same 3D on a huge screen ,so the 3D stands out better.
Watching sky 3D nature programs bugs ect the 3D stands out of the plasma ,also with monsters vrs aliens blu ray,This Tv is worth every penny its brilliant,and beats hands down most of the plasmas price over 2 grand that i have viewed
A MUST BUY,PLUS GREAT BACK UP FROM AMAZON
Great hand set as well lots of things to play with ,picture ,3D,sound,eco,timers ect
If you watch 3D in i light room the passive glasses will try to pic up the outside light and turn on then off,Dont worry,they do not leave the light on in the pictures,just do what we do as a family,watch the fantastic TV during the day,then when it goes dark put your glasses on and watch a 3D movies,PS the glasses for the TV must be passive only Samsung and they are cheapest here on Amazon through market place,i paid £35 pounds for a pair and £6 for a packet of 15 replacement batteries that will last about 3 years.Good luck 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 7 April 2011
Ordered this item as my 5 series 50" (paid £702 8 months ago) was broken by my toddler, so browsing amazon I spotted this full 1080HD 3D plasma for £750, what a bargan me was thinking, How right I was, this was a steal.
I placed the order Tuesday evening (05/04/2011 about 7pm) to be delivered free on the super saver delivery package (estimated delivery date of 11/04/2011)
However, a mere 36 hours later its delivered in mint condition by citylink.
This one I took no chances with so decided to have this one hanging from a wall instead of using the stand.
Set up as always from samsung was very easy.

Picture Quality:
What can I say ? as thought my 5 series was good, but this picture seams that much better, the colours are bright and the picture is ultra sharp, it really does have the wow factor, I've not come across a better picture quality tv than this one.
No blurring or any lag at all.
Stadard tv viewing through a virgin media cable box is crisp and clear and a joy to watch.
HD viewing really steps up the viewing pleasure ten fold, absolutely faultless.
As with these samsungs there is no need to worry about reflections or light bouncing off the screen, mine sits by the patio doors on a south facing garden and today was really sunny, no problem for this tv, the screen doesnt reflect the light, unlike other tv's like LG for example, everyone moans that light reflection is a real problem and unless sitting with lights off and curtains closed in the dead of night to avoid reflections, none of that nonsence with a samsung.

Sound Quality:
Of course its good, it always is with samsung, good bass, crystal clear sound, has dolby digital pulse and SRS sound, volume goes nice and loud.

3D: Simply put, WOW, the best 3D Ive seen, I tried the 3D out in a well lit room (waiting for night time to see if its even better) things really do pop right out in front of you and you feel like you can just reach out and touch things, I was sitting 4 metres away from the tv. AWSOME.
The tv caters for the various 3D mode formats (side by side etc) but you can also switch to 2D > 3D mode, I tried this out and it gives the 2D broadcast a real depth effect, obviously nothing pops out of the screen at you in this mode, but impressive it is.

3D specs: The children will never be allowed near these babies ;-)
Nice and light weight, little button on the right arm to switch them on and off, if used for long periods of time (especially when new to 3D you may encounter some eye strain).

Other features:

USB ports all work fine, played a movie from my external hard drive without any hiccups.
Internet tv, Ive not tried this out yet as 1. I havnt got a long enough ethernet cable, 2. I will purchase the wireless dongle for the internet tv features.

I could rave about this tv all day long.

This is a hell of a lot of tv for its price range.

There is no better tv out there for this price, the quality of picture and sound as well as the other features leaves the competition well behind.

BUY it Buy it, BUY it, seriously, just BUY it. It has a dissapointment factor of zero !!!

You will love this tv.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung 3d plasma, 20 Mar 2011
When we first got this i was realy excited. Finally a 3d tv. After getting the box, it took about an hour to assemble the pieces with the blu ray player and other devices connected up aswel. It was simple enough. Straight away the hd picture was extremely good and 3d just as good, however the standard definition is extremely poor. The 2d/3d conversion is reasonable but only really works when using a hd source, football and cricket have been good.
warning, as it is a plasma things will get burnt into the screen. When teletext was left on for less than an hour an inprint was left but seemed to be gone in less than a day.
The qulaity of the tv has seemed to get better over the time we've had it wheather that be that we are getting used to it or that it is setteling a bit, I don't know.
The 3d is good, as is all 3d, but I have found it is nothing in compared to my large 3d projector. The samsung 3d is also one of the cheeper ones to set up over sony and panasonic.
Atm I am very pleased and will update this otherwise if problems later occur.

4.0 out of 5 stars A New Experience, 30 Dec 2010
Ordered this for xmas, got the free 3D blu ray player with it and had to buy a 3D pack for more glasses and a 3D film, you get one pair of glasses in the box, that's stupid really, all 3D tv's should come with 4 pairs at least.

It is today £100 dearer and no free 3D blu ray player.

Some other Samsung TV's people have said this is the cheaper version, well it's £40 cheaper right now.

Anyway, Hooked it all up except the new blu ray player, used my sony for that and was not impressed with the 3D effect, you can see more depth to the picture and is an ok effect, me & the missus scratched our heads and decided to try the blu ray player I got free with the tv, ahaaaaaaaaaa, now we had menu buttons, images, etc coming right out of the screen!

I got a 3D pack of 2 glasses and one film, monsters versus aliens, so with 3D blu ray player, 3D film, 3D glasses, 3D TV we were off, in the film there is a guy bouncing a ball on a bat, that came out of the tv about a metre, a guy flying in a jet pack, he was flying around about 500mm to 1m out of the screen, later on there is some cutlery floating around, that came out of the tv about 3m, truly great effects with us two going ooooooo look at that, did you just see that, oh look at those coming out of the tv etc.

The missus has been and watched 3D movies at the cinema and said the quality of the 3D on this tv is superior.

SO the first time I tried it with a non 3D blu ray player that was in effect how you would see normal tv/movies when rendered to 3D, so even that, even without images coming right out of the tv, is quite impressive, no ooooo's or aaaaaaarrr's but a different way of watching normal tv all the same, to start with seeing this effect I thought what a con, this is like that huge leap from CRT to HDTV, hardly noticeable, when we got it right though I was glad I did go 3D.

We have bought street dance 3D and Piranha 3D, Street Dance you get 2 discs, one is std, the other says 3D and comes with some of the typical 3D glasses from the 80's, this is not for 3D tv, you can use the std disc & put 3D on but that is rendered, if you use the 3D version which you do not need a 3D tv for which is what it says on the box it is not 3D if you use the glasses that come with it, use the Samsung powered glasses etc, can't suss that out, the Piranha has 2 discs too, one has a std disc which gives you the option of watching in 2D or 3D, select 3D and it is real 3D, but again put in the disc that says 3D on it that you use the free 80's glasses to watch and that is not 3D either.

There is quite a bit of 3D in the monsters film but it could do with more, it was worse for piranha and pointless in street dance, piranha there are approx 4 or so images that come right out of the screen.

What we have noticed is that on the monsters disc it says blu ray 3D as a badge, the others say blu ray but the 3D text is not with it, those ones don't seem to be for use with 3D tv's, if they say Blu Ray 3D as a badge then they do work.

Back to the tv, you do get a bit of burn, even turning tv on for the first time that day you will see eg SKy info box in the background while the tv warms up, after that it is better but you can at times see an image.

If you watch the tv from 2 metres or more it is a very good picture, any closer it can look a bit bitty, SKY HD is not true HD, the HD quality on any tv is not HD, I don't think it should stand for high definition but higher definition, you can get HD movies you can download off the net, SKY HD, blu ray HD, they are all different quality, true HD is a while off and I would say 3240 instead of 1080 would be getting there, my pc monitor is 24" and that is 1080, HD needs scaling up from that, not spreading the same amount of lines over a larger screen giving larger pixels, HD TV has all been about getting similar quality to an old crt tv but on a thinner, larger screen, no massive leap forward there, but the 3D is a leap for me.

All HDTV's give a poor picture watching std digital movies/transmissions, they are suited to hd channels, blu rays etc, otherwise you will get blobs of black pixels, poor clarity, definition etc, a std digital broadcast viewed on an old crt tv gives a better picture than watching the same std broadcast on a HD TV.

The bomb on Sky 3D, to get this you need to subscribe to all channels that have 3D, this at present is all sports, movies and entertainment, that would take my current subscription to have SKy HD multiroom from £55 to £71 per month to have 3D so I won't be doing that, therefor cannot vouch for quality of 3D using Sky.

I was using a LCD Sony 40", lcd is a bit better quality I think but with plasma it has been nice to get more vibrant colours and a nicer look with a glossy screen compared to a matt one with LCD.

I have used both as large pc monitors, both give a good image and can't tell much between them other than a nice gloss with the plasma, the Samsung 40" was the same price as this one, for the same price I thought I would have an extra 10" and try plasma out, I'm still glad that I did.

A nice hdtv giving a decent 3D experience, if you were thinking of buying a new hdtv I think you would be daft not to get a 3D one, not any extra cost, apart from 3D glasses at £55 a pair, movies cost no more etc, go for it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›