Format: MP3 DownloadChange

on 20 July 2000
JOHN LENNON/PLASTIC ONO BAND is absolutely remarkable. I feel that this album, which contains some of Lennon's most emotional works ever, rivals the genius of most of the Beatle's albums. The main reason that I love this album so much is that Lennon's lyrics and songs are "quite simple" when compared to some of the psychadelic, yet obviously great works, he compiled while being a Beatle. It is like he turned over a whole new leaf into a world that seemed to not exist while being in the world's most popular band. The album's first song entiltled "MOTHER" is a profound example of John's ability to communicate his feelings through music as you feel a pain that he obviously has. The song "GOD" absolutely blows my mind. It is, as I have already mentioned, a compleate 180 degree turn from his days as a Beatle; and he mentions the Beatles in a surprising way. The album's seventh song, and my favorite Lennon song ever, is called "LOVE". This is truely the most beautiful song with lyrics that I have ever heard. Any memory or experience of love or someone you love can be brought to the forefront of your mind while listenging to this song's brilliant simple elegance. I reccomend this album for any Beatle's or John Lennon fan, or for anyone that just enjoys great, heart-wrenching music.
on 18 October 2010
It's a brilliant album. At it's release, the most stark release by any major artist. So... what's up with the 2002 remastered version I've already got? Still sounds good to me. Can anyone actually tell me what the good people at Abbey Road had to do to whip this album into shape one more time? Smacks of a 70th Birthday excuse cash-in if you ask me.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 July 2012
As a fourteen year old, I bought this on the strength it was Lennon. And it was and remains one of the most effecting collections of songs I have been privileged to hear and take to heart. "God is a concept by which we measure our pain" said it all for me. I might of added "I don't believe in school" but then it didn't have much time for me either. This album is complete. Mr Lennon never again managed this achievement so it remains a milestone.It is such a simple set of musical arrangements and heartfelt songs that it was refreshing after all the over studio constructed concept album of the times. I would give it ten stars. A gem. If you like Lennon, song writing that is personal and sans Beatles (well Ok Ringo drums but not like in the Beatles-he is almost muted on this one)then get yerself a copy and enjoy.
on 16 July 2015
Without a doubt, one of the most powerful, emotional and incredible albums I've ever heard, huge fan of John Lennon & The Beatles, and although it's a bit hit and miss with his solo career, this is by far his best solo album. Simple sparse instrumentation with only Guitar, Bass, Drums, Piano & Voice, but John's voice just says it all, you can hear real pain, emotion and power in his voice in almost every track on this album , which is what made him a great singer and a great songwriter. Every track is amazing, and it's definitely an album I will never ever get sick of listening to. 10/10
on 11 January 2013
I just bought this album today, having recently been recommended to buy this by a friend of the family. 'John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band' is Lennon's first solo effort following the breakup of The Beatles.

In my honest opinion, this album is really good. The reason I give for saying this is the honesty within the album on its tracks. Lennon deals with many of his demons, whether they be his parents ('Mother'/'My Mummy's Dead'), the breakup of The Beatles ('God') and life in general ('Working Class Hero'). Without a doubt, my personal favourite tracks are 'I Found Out', 'Well Well Well' and, most of all, 'Working Class Hero', a song that can still be applied rather easily to today's world.

Prior to recording this first effort, it is well known that John and Yoko attended Primal Scream therapy sessions in Los Angeles and thus Lennon felt both able and ready to deal with his inner demons through song. The point being, the whole Primal Scream period shows on this album, especially on tracks like 'Mother', 'I Found Out' and 'Well Well Well'. It's Lennon at his most honest.

To conclude, 'John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band' is a really good album and a must-have for any John Lennon fan. I would even recommend it to Beatles fans, although do be warned: he is trying to do away with that style on this album, and it shows. Despite this, there are some little nods to his former group on this, so look out for them.

Finally, the album comes with a small booklet that is well presented and gives a brief account of the album's history and song lyrics, which are always helpful.

Buy it.

Thanks for reading this. I hope it helps.
on 8 July 2004
Following the break-up of the Beatles, an acrimonious John Lennon set about to break away from the group and its entire image. John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band is a personal, independent album with no traces of Beatle John. This is the man, honestly pouring out all his emotion, pain and anger onto record. It was recorded after he and Yoko Ono had attended primal-scream therapy sessions with LA psychiatrist Dr. Arthur Janov, and Lennon was, perhaps for the first time, coming to terms with the tragic death of his mother. The album begins with funeral bells, before John comes in with the heartbreaking words, "Mother you had me, but I never had you." The end of the track features him literally screaming and howling out the words, "Mama don't go, daddy come home," in one of the most moving and incredibly painful scenes ever depicted on record. There are some frank and yet beautiful confrontations of painful issues on tracks such as "Isolation" and "Remember"; however, the most chilling moment comes with the final track, so bluntly called, "My Mummy's Dead," where Lennon mourns over the patheticness of his mother's death in a tune set to "Three Blind Mice." John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band is an incredibly painful and at times uncomfortable listening experience, but it is truly rewarding, and deserves a place in every rock fan's collection.
on 29 September 2006
'John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band' is one of the harrowing, honest and cathartic album ever released. It remans Lennon's greatest work by some distance. Populists who prefer 'Imagine' would do well to remember Lennon's famous phrase that the latter was nothing more than a sugar-coated version of this brilliant work. Of course it might have never have happened if Lennon hadn't undergone Primal Therapy, but here he excorcizes everything. The most thrilling track is the climactic 'God' in which he tears down all the dreams of hte 60s, not with any relish, but regret and an acknowledgement to us all that we can only carry on. An album for all ages, this was the ultimate Lennon solo record.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I am going to make this short and sweet, this is without question ONE of the greatest albums ever conceived. Heartfelt and Extraordinary, EVERYONE should own this album. The Primal Screaming on "Mother" elevates this to somewhere more than mere music and adds another dimension of artistry. It's my belief that it is now ONE of THE most important albums of the 20th is that simple.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 May 2013
One of the last items I bought from these dodgy dealers before the tax avoidance scandal broke. I refuse to give my hard-earned money to a greedy corporation that is stealing money from our public services by dodging tax, and making other retailers go to the wall. Pay your tax Amazon, operate on a level playing field and I'll consider coming back...

Fantastic album though
on 16 October 2010
John Lennon was the creative drive behind The Beatles in my humble opinion. Many put forward a case for any of the other three members but for me Lennon is it.

His magic shines through in almost every solo offering and with this album you will see just what all the fuss is about. It's a drity and emotional record where John sings from deep within the heart, something almost all of today's artist's simply cannot achieve.

Now, you have most likely read the deep reviews offered here. I won't be doing that today but what I will be doing is emploring you to buy this freshly remastered album. The packaging is lovely. It seems to be the norm these days to re-issue albums in minin vinyl formats. The only disappointment is the lack of bonus material. In fact, a second disc of demo and out-take material (I own alot of rare stuff from this period on bootleg) would have made this one of the greatest re-issues of all time!

The music sounds better than ever before so get chopping and hit the purchase now button for this record.