5.0 out of 5 stars SB700.
Having owned and still own the SB600 flash for 3 years I thought long and hard about buying this flashgun.
I wanted an extra unit for creative lighting but was going to go for the more powerful 910.
Well, for my needs the 700 does an excellent job.
Published on 7 Aug. 2012 by K. Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm.
I got this to with my D3200. delivery was brilliant. Got it out of the box and when I tried to use it kept coming up with an error message. I read in the manual that if the error persists get in touch with Nikon.

Published 16 months ago by Bobvan

5.0 out of 5 stars SB700., 7 Aug. 2012
K. Taylor "Keith" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Flash Unit (Camera)
Well, for my needs the 700 does an excellent job.
I was lucky enough to have dropped onto Amazon when this flashgun was being sold for an unbelievable low price so I took advantage and just grabbed the last one as they were disappearing before my eyes.
I was a little concerned after reading reviews about the the 700's slightly lower power output compared to the 600, but in real world phtography this just is not the case.
Where the 700 shines over the 600 is the quicker access to features such as ttl, manual control and Nikons excellent CLS off camera flash to name a couple.
The head rotation and positioning are more flexible than the 600 and a bounce/catchlight card are incorporated into the flash head too.
Extras include two clip on filters for different indoor lighting situations and a flash diffuser.
Also the the 700 works as a commander for other compatible Nikon flash guns using the CLS system, this feature is not so important to me as I have it built into my camera, but for more basic Nikon cameras such as the D40/60 etc it is very useful.
Another great feature on the 700 is its ability to be a slave flash, meaning it will fire remotely off camera triggered by any make of flash as long as that flash is set to manual mode.
The 700 also features an automatic cut out should it start to overheat due to constant repeated use, but as the flash has a meter on the display monitoring the temperature of the flashgun I have never seen it rise to levels that become a concern.
Recycle times are very good with rechargable nimh batteries fitted ( I use the Sanyo Eneloops) with the flash used at normal output being ready almost immediately.
All round I find this flashgun a significant upgrade compared to the 600 for its ability to access control of different settings, flash output is very similar on both and the 600 is still a great flashgun.
Build quality of the 700 is excellent and its extra control and features plus its excellent lighting capabilities makes it a great buy for anyone with Nikon camera equipment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic bit of kit, 1 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Flash Unit (Camera)
I treated myself to some nice additions for my Nikon D90 and D3100 this Chirstmas. I purchased a Coolpix S8200, a 35mm 1.8G, a 50mm 1.8G, and lastly the splendid SB-700 speedlight flash. Firstly, I was well impressed seeing the flash packaged inside a nicely padded zipped bag along with some other goodies packed inside. The SB-700 ships with two attachable filters, a diffusion dome and a flash stand. The flash itself is a joy to use and has made a huge improment to my pictures when using my D90. The pictures look so much better, more natural skin tones and allows for that professional studio look. The flash is very quick at recycling and is ready for another shot within a second or two. I love using this flash in commander mode and tilting the flash head at varying angles from a distance to where I am positioned. This unit has lots of flexibility and features, such as flash concentration from a single dispersion to a more even dispersion setting. The zoom feature is great and automatically recognises my lens type and makes the changes according. The SB-700 also has a built in bounce card and a drop down diffusion. The buttons and main dial feel very nice to the touch and the LCD is very clear to view all the parameter settings of each feature. The LCD lights up in a blue / green colour. I was originally looking to get the small SB-400 flash, but am really glad I decided to spend a little more to get the bigger brother. The tilt and pan feature alone makes the extra money worth spending. I just don't know how I got by without a speedlight flash for so long since owning my D90. Highly recommended if you are serious about your photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, 10 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Flash Unit (Camera)
I bought this as I was asked to shoot a nighttime Halloween parade and needed something that would work on the night. I am in so much awe of this flash. I never ever expected it to be as good as it is. I can basically walk into a pitch dark room and press the shutter release button and I instantly have a pin sharp photo without any effort as the focus assist is so amazing on this. Something I wasn't expecting is that I'd get such incredibly sharp photos. Practically every photo I take is a million times sharper than anything I have taken before. I expected this to work like a flash and never took into account how much help the focus assist on the flash would be for my camera. It's a bit pricey and whilst waiting for my order, I thought of canceling it every day as the price kept running in my head but now that I have it, I wish i brought one sooner. Amazing stuff!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb piece of kit!, 18 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Flash Unit (Camera)
I bought this to act as backup to my ageing SB800. However it is so easy to use and to use creatively, that I am now using it as my main flash. Very well made and excellent ergonomics too.

5.0 out of 5 stars sb 700, 16 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Flash Unit (Camera)
excellent flash unit. i've used the sb800 for several years now and when i decided an addition was necessary i came upon the 700. much more intuitive control system, not quite as powerful as the 800 but, quite honestly, over the last few years as a pro i never extended the 800 to its max. the 700 is all you'll need and more. great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent piece of equipment, 20 April 2013
This review is from: Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Flash Unit (Camera)
As a professional photographer my equipment has to be robust as well as packed with features. This SB-700 is certainly both. The metal hot shoe plate is a must for me, having recently had to 'bin' an otherwise fully working Metz flashgun all because a plastic hot shoe plate cracked and couldn't be repaired.
The 'off camera' feature on this unit is also a huge benefit which has already helped me create some brilliant shots I wouldn't have got with a traditional flashgun. As my camera can snyc with up to four SB-700's at the same time I am now already looking to buy a second and maybe third one of these flash units.
Thoroughly recommended and a must for Nikon camera users

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - but there's a language problem, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Flash Unit (Camera)
Technically superb product bought from Amazon to complement a Nikon d7000. The only problem was that all the literature in the box, including the instruction manual, was not in English. On registering the product with Nikon, their website provides instructions for returning the manual and obtaining one in English - at no cost except the £2 odd return postage - the manual is also available as a PDF download. When ordering the unit, I also ordered from Amazon 'The Nikon Creative Lighting System' by Mike Hagen which is an interesting and invaluable reference to using both the SB700 in its varying modes, and other contemporary Nikon flash units in conjunction with Nikon cameras see: The Nikon Creative Lighting System: Using the SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, SB-910, and R1C1 Flashes. Hence it seemed pointless to return the unit to Amazon given that the lack of useable instructions provided in the box was really not a practical issue - but I really do feel though that items sold in the UK market to UK consumers should include instructions written in English!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm., 28 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Flash Unit (Camera)

It was delivered on the 3rd December and sent back Nikon on the 8th where it still is, awaiting parts? Not very happy with Nikon, a company as well renowned as they are.

Could have just sent me a replacement? But NO this one has to be repaired.

This is not the sellers fault but Nikons bad quality control, I have had the thing for nearly a month and still cant use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Flash, 25 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Flash Unit (Camera)
The SB700 is an excellent flash, it is nice quality and very easy to use. The included filters and diffuser are a bonus and make getting your white balance correct indoors easy to achieve. The flash itself seems powerful enough for most situations and recycles quickly, the new soft action thermal protection system is much more pleasant in use than the rather aggressive one fitted to the SB900 (although that one can be disabled).This is the second SB700 I have bought, I use them with a Nikon D700 and Pocket Wizard Mini and Flex TT5, with this set up exposures are very accurate and I would recommend this flash whole heartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are purchasing this you know what you want, 1 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Flash Unit (Camera)
Not the cheapest, but top quality and fully integrates with Nikon DSLR's. I particularly like the ability to act as a remote slave to the pop-up flash. Complex to use and get the best out of but worth the effort.

Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Flash Unit