5.0 out of 5 stars A secret delight
I was introduced to Pink Martini on the Paul O'Grady Show on Radio 2 and now eagerly await anything they do....this Christmas offering is different, alternative, challenging in some ways - but also delightful and refuses to conform. Love it as a perfect companion to everything else you might have to play at Christmas time.....Now That's what I call Christmas music!!
Published 13 months ago by perko

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Having read all the positive reviews on here for this CD, I was expecting great things of it. However, my optimism soon turned to bored disappointment.

The first song, White Christmas (part 1) starts the album off brightly enough, but I am at a loss as to why we need part 2? It is virtually an instrumental version of the same song, and is more than a little...
Published on 19 Nov. 2010 by Essex Shopaholic

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A secret delight, 7 Feb. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Warms The Cockles Of Your Heart !, 1 Nov. 2010
Katrina-UK (Stockport, Cheshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joy To The World (Audio CD)
In true traditional Pink Martini style, they have produced this wonderful Christmas album which transports me back to a different era. The album features festive songs from around the world, singing them not only in English, but different languages.

I also love the 3D album artwork which is of a city at Christmas-time, with snowflakes in the background. Would make a lovely Christmas pressie for someone!

I will definitely be playing this non-stop in the run up to Christmas. It really gets you into the Christmas spirit and warms the cockles of your heart!

5.0 out of 5 stars Joyous, 4 Jan. 2014
Grahame Gardner (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joy To The World (Audio CD)
It may only be played once a year, but Pink Martini's Christmas album is a definite cut above the usual offerings because of their usual eclectic take on classic songs. Even their version of 'Little Drummer Boy' (a perennial hate of mine) is very pleasant on the ear, thanks to China Forbes' sublime vocal.
As a Scot, I'm not entirely convinced about the samba version of Auld Lang Syne, but as they do it with such panache I'm prepared to forgive them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas with Pink Martini does not disappoint!, 15 Nov. 2010
A. Havenaar "enniez" (Leiden, the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joy To The World (Audio CD)
Because I'm a real Pink Martini fan, I was looking forward to this album for months. I ordered two copies, one for my mum as a christmas gift and one for myself because you just can't go wrong with a Pink Martini album! The album is great to give away, because of the beautiful artwork and of course the fantastic songs.

The album has some christmas songs you probably already know, but with the undeniable Pink Martini twist, which just makes you wanna dance to them.

As always they also have some surprising songs in other languages, of which no. 5: Elohai, N'tzor is a true gem.

So, if you buy only one Christmas album this year, let it be this one, you will listen to it over and over again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Uber-chic Christmas gift, 9 Nov. 2010
Daniel Park "danielpark99" (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joy To The World (Audio CD)
Simply the ultimate uber-chic rendition of well-loved Christmas classics and gorgeous hidden gems. The bongo version of the "Little Drummer Boy" is delightfully quirky, "Santa-baby" drips with harmonic opulence, but my particular favourite simply has to be the latino make-over for "Auld Lang Syne" which transforms this quintissential New Year send-off into a Rio-de-Janeiro style party-piece that would have even your Scottish granny hoofing it up! This CD should be played continuously over the Festive period - it is sheer quality and, as a previous reviewer so rightly observes, it is a wonderful Christmas gift for that certain someone in your life with impeccable taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas with a difference., 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Joy To The World (Audio CD)
Pink Martini are a complete joy to listen to. My guilty secret. If they ever come to a town near you make sure that you go and see them perform live. You will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely but..., 5 Dec. 2010
C. Smart (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joy To The World (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Pink Martini ever since a friend gave me one of their early CDs. This album keeps the same sound but goes for a slightly more sacharin choice of music. It's the sort that could so easily be playing in a boutique at this time of year. It is ideal backing music for a party, but not the sit down and wallow that has been so evident in previous albums. All in all, another good album, but not one to use to introduce people to Pink Martini.

5.0 out of 5 stars If it's anything like my other Pink Martini it'll be just lovely, 19 Aug. 2014
S. Allen (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joy To The World (Audio CD)
I've yet to hear this as it is a present for someone. If it's anything like my other Pink Martini it'll be just lovely. Hopefully the person who receives it will want to play it continually as I do with 'Retrospective'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, festive and fun!, 12 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Joy To The World (Audio CD)
I have only recently discovered this band so, as it was approaching Christmas, I decided to start with this cd. The positivity that oozes off the band themselves (see their website and youtube), can be felt in their music. The multi-national feel of this is just wonderful but nowhere near as wonderful as the actual music! I love it and have found myself singing along to all the songs, even the Chinese "White Christmas"! I have since gone on and bought another of their cds and I certainly don't intend to stop at two. xx

4.0 out of 5 stars Joy to the World - Pink Martini, 9 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Joy To The World (Audio CD)
Enjoyable album from Pink Martini with seasonal theme. High standard of musicianship and China's beautiful voice make this well worth the purchase. Pink Martini cover a wide spectrum from pop to challenging classical music and their mastery of different languages and styles is very impressive. I hope we get to see their only UK concert this year.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Joy To The World
Joy To The World by Pink Martini (Audio CD - 2010)