5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon EN-EL15 BATTERY

1.0 out of 5 stars Suspected Fake
Published 15 months ago by Cliff

1.0 out of 5 stars Suspected Fake, 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: Nikon VFB10702 - Li-ion battery EN-EL15 (Accessory)
I've never had a Nikon battery deplete so quickly as this one. I've used this in the (Nikon) battery grip of my D7000. It tends to be nearly drained after a day's shooting out in the Lake District (where I live.) I noticed that after say 10 outings, it tended to drain noticeably quicker, than when new. I initially put this down to shooting out in low winter temperatures.

By chance I checked the in-camera battery usage facilty, and it showed that this battery had gone from battery age of 0 to 3, where 4 is the number you bin your battery. This was done in approx. 12 outings.

By my rough calculation this makes this 'el cheepo' battery way more expensive that the real deal OEM Nikon.

I cannot recommended this as good value or good quality therefore.

1.0 out of 5 stars Counterfeit Battery, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Nikon VFB10702 - Li-ion battery EN-EL15 (Accessory)
I read the other reviews on here about them receiving a counterfeit version of this battery, but Amazon supply these batteries from several sellers, so I though a couple of fakes had got into the system. Anyway it would appear the battery I have received is also a fake.

Although the Nikon website does not have any counterfeit info specifically about this battery, they mention lots of others and how the hologram on the fake items are missing the 4 notches - the hologram on the battery supplied to me does not have those notches. Also the word 'Nikon' is wrote many times over the hologram and on the genuine ones at certain angles you can only read every other line of these words and the others have to be view from a different angle, but on the fake item they are all viewed from the same angle. Also I took pictures of the holograms using a flash from several different angles, on the picture of the genuine one you can see loads of different colours but on the fake one every shot just comes out plain gold. Just showing that the counterfeit hologram is not as sophisticated.

There is a few other minor differences such as no warning label on the cap, but the other big thing is the weight - the other two genuine Nikon batteries I own both weight exactly the same, whereas the counterfeit item is 15 grams lighter. This battery is going nowhere near my camera.

Although several companies are selling this battery I will not touch any of them. Amazon also sell this battery at a slightly higher price, but I'm not going to risk it and buy from a reputable source, as for all I know they might all come out the same draw.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon EN-EL15 BATTERY, 18 May 2013
C.davies (Colchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon VFB10702 - Li-ion battery EN-EL15 (Accessory)
I was initially a little concerned that this may not have been the genuine Nikon article, so requested confirmation from the seller prior to placing my order. They complied in the affirmative immediately, so I ordered one. Upon arrival, everything seemed to check out as it should, according to Nikon's spec. & the info they provide regarding counterfeit products. Apparently, those clever Chinese produce quite a few fakes from the Nikon range, including these batteries and power grips. Anyway, order with confidence from this seller & don't be deterred by the reasonable price.
***Further to this initial review, I had a problem................
After having only re-charged the battery twice, it started to show that it had already advanced past 0 to stage 1 of its 'age' on the camera's Battery Info screen! I didn't think that this was as it should be as the original Nikon battery in my D2x was still on '0' after several years! Anyway, I contacted Amazon and they immediately offered to replace or refund me, as per the usual helpful & reliable response from their Customer Support. Anyway, I was puzzled as to exactly why this was happening, so after a call to Nikon support, I returned it to them for examination. 1 week later, a brand new replacement arrived from Nikon, so I had no need to call on Amazon's assistance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy. Fake!!, 19 Nov 2012
This review is from: Nikon VFB10702 - Li-ion battery EN-EL15 (Accessory)
This looked the same as the original battery that came with my D7000. When I took it out the bag it felt slightly different. It weighs around 10grams lighter than my other 2 EN-EL15's that I have and on closer inspection has a slightly different finish and feels different when sliding it in. I thought this was too good to be true at around £35.

BEWARE!! Basically it charged fine the first time and I tested it taking one still image. When I tried it out the next morning it was totally dead. I put it on charge again and it said it was charged after 2 minutes! Obviously it didn't work and I hadn't got the bargain I had hoped for. Its a fake or a duff batch. DO NOT BUY!! Now I have to try and return it. Not a happy guy. Spend the extra £20 and get a proper one!

1.0 out of 5 stars Counterfeit, 14 Nov 2012
This review is from: Nikon VFB10702 - Li-ion battery EN-EL15 (Accessory)
"Warning!!! counterfeit item. Shape and color of the holographic seal differs, Nikon.com listed counterfeit and discuss how to spot the differences between the counterfeit products and the genuine Nikon products. And this product is 100% counterfeit."

1.0 out of 5 stars wrong product sent, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Nikon VFB10702 - Li-ion battery EN-EL15 (Accessory)
A battery EN-EL15 was requested urgently and I got an EN-EL14 instead. And not enough with it, when I wanted to send it back, i was tod to do it via yodel, which is a complete useless and time waste shipping company.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Battery supplied, 28 May 2013
This review is from: Nikon VFB10702 - Li-ion battery EN-EL15 (Accessory)
The wrong battery was supplied I ordered an EN-EL15 and was supplied with an EN-EL14. The bar-code on the box stated EN-EL15 however the Nikon box was a EN-EL14 box. Now the hassle of return waiting for refund and re order.

1.0 out of 5 stars You Maybe Get What You Pay For, 21 Mar 2013
This review is from: Nikon VFB10702 - Li-ion battery EN-EL15 (Accessory)
I ordered one of these from an Amazon Marketplace seller, it was advertised as genuine and the vendor insisted it was "genuine Nikon" when questioned.

A number of aspects raised my suspicion when it arrived it so I consulted Nikon-Europe.

Nikon pronounced it counterfeit. The visible item they picked out was that the "Nikon" logo moulded into the upper side of the battery was different from the genuine one.

Other issues:

when varying the viewing angle angle, the hologram behaves differently from two other genuine Nikon batteries in my possession,

weight is 72g (3 oz) against 88g (3.5 oz) printed in the Nikon information sheet,

four small nicks in the hologram are cut-outs on the genuine item, on the counterfeit version they are slits,

squeeze the battery - the counterfeit flexes, the genuine one doesn't,

the box and data sheet accompanying the genuine item are of distinctly better quality than the counterfeit - with the latter, it is very difficult to fit both items into the box without it deforming.

After I sorted out a refund, I approached a second low-price Amazon Marketplace supplier and asked him to confirm provenance of his battery prior to me ordering it, the seller declined to comment.

Having trawled the web and looked at what established retail suppliers are charging, my feeling is that any advertiser currently asking for about 50 GBP, or less, is a risk not worth taking. One advertiser actually lists the weight as 72g, effectively confirming it as counterfeit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong battery, 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: Nikon VFB10702 - Li-ion battery EN-EL15 (Accessory)
The bar code label said EN-EL15 but the box and the battery was an EL-EL14, not much use to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spare battery, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: Nikon VFB10702 - Li-ion battery EN-EL15 (Accessory)
No problems to date. Came in Nikon box and appears to be original. Good value for money. I think that this is a good spare battery.

Nikon VFB10702 - Li-ion battery EN-EL15