on 3 May 2011
I had been waiting for a digital photoframe for a long time. I saw this was released in the States and contacted them for a UK distributor.
The frame was ordered on a Friday evening and was delivered on the Monday morning.
It is easy to set up they recommend a 800*600 format, the clarity is excellent, have it set on factory default settings with it switching off after 30 minutes if it doesn't detect any movement.
Can only recommend this to anyone wanting a 12" frame
on 27 November 2011
We identified this frame as offering a good balance of price, functionality and, based upon reviews, quality. The intention was to purchase three as Xmas gifts for sons (each loaded with embarrassing photos from their youth). Decided to order one frame (for £109.99) to determine suitability. This arrived but the display was faulty (damaged/dead area in one corner). Returned, money refunded and replacement ordered (for £99.99). Replacement appeared okay so ordered two more (for £109.99). Of these one was faulty (damaged dead area on one side and display "yellow") and returned, refunded and replacement ordered. This replacement seems okay. Hence required to order five frames to get three that are acceptable.

A 40% rejection rate suggests a total lack of quality control at the manufacturers. This aside display size, resolution and colour are good for the price and the features such as motion detect and picture rotation are useful.

I note that the price has now increased to £119.99. Anticipation of Xmas orders no doubt. Over the same period the price of the larger 15" frame has varied between £109.99 and £139.99
on 23 March 2011
As others have said this is a great photo frame full of usefull features with good picture reproduction. Everything you expect really from a fairly pricy (compared with others)bit of kit.
The biggest advantage I've found is that it has a random feature for the photo's, you'd think all frames came with this function but I struggled to find a large frame with this feature.
Biggest disadvantage - I'd call it a design fault really, I've wall mounted the frame but now can't get a memory card into the SD slot without taking the frame off the wall as the slot is recessed at the side of the frame. This usually wouldn't be a problem but the frame hangs by two screws in 'keyhole' slots and is the devils own job to locate the holes on the screws simultaneously when you can't see them.

Still, it was for my wife's birthday and she loves it so can't be all bad.
on 10 February 2011
The size gives it a real 'wow' factor when compared to 7"/8" frames, plus the styling is very nice.

Being much larger than most digital frames I was worried that 800x600 would not be a high enough resolution however I've found this to be absolutely fine.

The picture quality and viewing angle is good and it's packed with some really great features. In particular I like the:

- Motion sensor (comes on when you walk in the room)
- Oriantation sensor (potrait pictures automatically fill the screen when the frame is turned round)

also plays video files and has a remote control.

Absolutely brilliant frame - can't recommend highly enough!

Hope this helps!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 30 November 2011
This digital frame has certainly good aspects (like the motion activation feature) that have been highlighted by many reviews, so I will skip and give them for granted. What I find a bit disappointing is the quality of the images, which seems a bit "wahsed out", despite I have tried pretty extensively (but unsuccessfully) to tune it via contrast and brightness. My impression is that you will never get the bright colours of other smaller frames.
Another annoying aspect is the strong variation of the quality from the angle point of view: it's enough to slightly move in front of the frame for getting a drastic reduction in contrast, as it used to happen with the old generation LCD screen. Conclusion: what a pity :-/
on 23 June 2011
I'd been looking for a digital photo frame for a while, and after purchasing a 7" frame from my local supermarket, i realised just how small (& in my opinion, pointless) the display was. So i returned the frame and started looking for bigger alternatives - and you'll be hard pushed to find anything of better quality for the asking price, than this NIX 12" frame!!

Most alternatives from big name brands (Sony etc) in the 12" & above category are closer to the £200 mark and while i'm sure they are also of high quality, i'm yet to find anything that has made me regret this purchase.

The build quality of the frame is very good. Sure, it's a bit 'plasticy' on the back of the frame (but then who really cares about the back?), but the front of frame has a classy looking black gloss border surrounding the photo display. The main controls of the frame are operated via some touch sensitive buttons on the front right of the frame, and for the most part, work very effectively (and there's also a remote control if touching the photo frame isn't for you).

The display quality (which, let's be honest is a key factor) is excellent. OK, it's not 'HD', but the 600x800 displays clearly on such a large screen, even when viewed up close (although you can start to discern the individual pixels). From a distance however, the images are spot on, with vibrant colours and contrast. The transitions between photos are fairly standard, but are well rendered and smooth, making just sitting and watching the frame for a few minutes, a pleasure.

When it comes to the actual features of the frame, there's a lot to praise:

- 2GB of internal memory (no more faffing around with memory cards that can often be seen protruding out of the side of most digital photo frames) with a really easy 'drag and drop' photo transfer once the frame is connected to your computer.

- Motion Sensor. This is an excellent feature that works very well, picking up motion to trigger the frame on, and after a period of inactivity (which is customisable - i have mine set to 10 minutes) the frame turns off.

- Random Photo display. This is great feature if the frame is constantly being turned off & on (and the motion display will normally mean it is), as there is nothing worse than seeing the same 30 photos in the same order each time the frame turns on (it would have been nice if the frame remembered where it had got to before turning off, and resumed when turned back on - which is perhaps my only negative comment about this frame).

- There's a battery that can be used instead of leaving it plugged into the mains (which i haven't used if i'm honest)

- The menu system is pretty intuitive and easy to navigate, even without opening the manual - although the graphical interface won't blow you away!

All in all, i've had this frame for 2 months now, and although slightly sceptical at the time of purchase as i'd not really heard of NIX before, there has not been one moment where i have regretted purchasing this frame.

If you are looking for a high quality, highly featured, 12" digital photo frame, at a great price, then scroll back to the top of the page and hit the 'Add to Basket' button!!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 7 April 2011
I have to say from the outset that I consider photoframes very much over-priced, especially when you compare them with how much you pay to buy a much bigger LCD monitor and with better resolution. I also have to declare that I bought this entirely with some "free" certificates so that changes my perspective somewhat!

I came upon this photo frame purely by chance and I was impressed with the reviews I'd seen. Considering it must be one of the largest on the market and also quoting a reasonable resolution I decided to "buy" one.

I have to say that I am seriously impressed with this item. Very good picture even close-up, never mind at normal viewing distance. Very good looking and I was really impressed with the nice shiny black box it came in and the nice fabric cover (I assume it's meant to be a dust cover and not just a pretty bit of packaging??); very professional looking all told. I'll probably get used to the rather fiddly little remote control with my big fingers but I can live with that.

If I could find any "fault" at all it would be the cable-tidy "feature"; merely a cut-out in the bottom of the back-rest, so that the cable pops out if you move the frame! I would have thought that something a bit more technical and reliable could have been thought up for what is otherwise a well thought out piece of gear; maybe a slide-in rubber grommet that stays in place...... another DIY job coming up I see!!

I should mention that I'm on my second NIX frame because the first one had a red pixel permanently illuminated in the upper right corner and this was highly distracting on dark picture backgrounds even across the room. Naturally Amazon did their usual sterling job of refunding me very promptly and I ordered another one (direct replacement was not possible with this particular supplier); this new one appeared within a couple of days and appears to be in perfect working order as I write.

So in conclusion a very smart and professional looking bit of kit and highly recommended if you are happy to pay this sort of money. It's probably better value than many others of a smaller size.
on 3 July 2011
Easy to set-up; randomly displays images from (in my case) an SD card (currently about 2800 pictures); switches off automatically after no motion for a time, set by yourself; you can set the times when you don't want the thing to come on; plus it does other things that I can't recall / chose to ignore.
I initially bought the frame for my mother, but while setting it up my wife saw it and now my mother is pleased with the wife's less capable and not so clear 10" Motorola frame. The Nix's frame is quite narrow, so you get more picture and less plastic for your money.
Setting it up can be carried out by either tapping the appropriate 'button' on the frame or by using the remote control.
If you've hundreds of photographs sitting in drawers and albums, then get them scanned-in. You can do it yourself with a simple laptop and scanner.
on 10 April 2011
I wrote the following to Nix on 30th March 2011 and have received no reply. Draw your own conclusions.

This device does what it says on the tin. The picture is big and bright and the colours are excellent. The software works.

Improvements needed: the ability to start a run where it left off when the device was switched off by whatever means. Example: when Hu-motion is active and you sit still for the specified time or leave the room or whatever and it goes off, when it restarts, it begins at the beginning of the collection. This is true even if you have specified that you only want to view images in a particular file. So: if you have say five files each with 50 or so images and you select one to be presented, if the device goes off, when it comes on again it starts at the beginning of file number one, even if you had selected file number five. You are faced with waiting for all your first four files to play before you get to where you want to be. Of course you can always reset the file selection, but that is something of a hassle. My solution for now is to put each file on a separate SD card, which is a bit self defeating to say the least.

This irritation is compounded by the rather clunky nature of the software which reminded me of DOS 4.0, for those of you old enough to remember. Intuitive it is not. The remote control is hardly optimum either. Yes it works, but you almost need an arclight to read the buttons and they are not very responsive - either too touchy or not sensitive enough. The only solution is to memorise what each button does; - not impossible, but, again, rather a hassle. I found that I have to be very close to the device to make the remote control work.

I haven't tried music and the only video I had handy was shot on an i-phone, so it wouldn't play.

I haven't even tried to use the symbols down the side of the frame. They are totally illegible.

All the above said, would I recommend it to a friend? Yes, but I would warn them of the above limitations.

Knowing what I know now would I still buy it? Probably, especially if, like this time, half the cost was covered by gift vouchers! The picture is very good indeed. And the software works, as I said, but the different bits need integrating to get rid of some annoyances.

-------------- End message --------------
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 January 2012
I think probably all that needs to be said about this product has been said,so I will keep my comments brief. This product is superb. Excellent quality all round and I am delighted that I have at last found a Frame (other than the far more expensive Sony's) that allows the images to be played in 'Random' or 'Shuffle' mode. I recently bought a Jessop 10.4 frame which I was assured had a 'Random' play facility only to be sorely disappointed when getting the product home. It did not and one would be amazed how many such Frames don't have this surely essential feature. (I can think of nothing more tedious than watching 1200 images being played in the same order ALWAYS!)
Anyway, if you are looking for a superb Frame at a very reasonable price, look no further. (By the way excellent service from Amazon. I ordered the Frame very late on a Friday evening and it was in my hands by Monday lunch time. Thank you!)