5.0 out of 5 stars Every track is very good and different from each other
Published on 23 Nov. 2010 by Trickle Tree

3.0 out of 5 stars Shayne under achieves
Published on 22 Nov. 2010 by bobby morrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Every track is very good and different from each other, 23 Nov. 2010
Trickle Tree (The universe) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
I am probably older than Shayne Ward's usual listener but by accident I heard him on the Alan Titchmarsh Show covering Nickelbacks Gotta be Someone. Now I love Nickelback, my absolut favourite and usually hate covers but Shayne Ward sang the heck out of that song so on that basis I thought I would give this album a shot. I bought it wearily thinking that the music may be a bit too - teenie bopper/young/electronic - for me. This was absolutely not the case. I put in on while driving to work with my husband and was spoiled with the treat of 9 great songs, with a pleasing vartiey of tempos and mood to each song. I cann't believe they also managed to perform one of my favourite songs, Nobody Knows without such a sad feel that sometimes I cannot even listen to it without feeling completely blue. They managed this by backing it up with a regie beat. Waiting in the Wings and Human really spoke to me and being a fan of the original Two Princes I really enjoyed his version, taking me back to my carefree student days, flirting in the student union bar. Crash was the only song that I didn't outright love but I have no doubt is will probably grow on me. The title track Obession has a catchy melodie which did stick in my mind throughout the day. I would say that this is a fun, mature, sexy and (pass the bucket I know) it was almost like listening to your best friend singing to you, giving you support and making you laugh.

The only critism I have is that it is too short. The album was about two songs short for my journey to work, I will just have to treat myself to his other albums. And also Amazon is now constantly recomending other X-Factor winner's albums and that really annoys me, I hadn't realise that he was discovered on X-Factor.

5.0 out of 5 stars this album is epic, 15 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
this a a well produced, beautifully sung mixture of uptemp pop,dance and amazing ballads. Im so glad Shayne is back with a bang. Obsession, Waiting in the Wings and Crash are best so far but that will change no doubt and obsession should have been lead track. Buy it !!

5.0 out of 5 stars He's back!!!!, 17 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
It felt like forever waiting for another album from Shane but after listening to Obsession it is like he has never been away.

The album is really well produced and I love all the songs, as for Shane he sounds amazing, he doesnt get enough credit for having such a beautiful voice, he should not have been left in the wilderness for so long.

Even if you are not a massive Shane Ward fan, buying this album will turn you into one.
Just waiting for another tour, the last one was fantastic but if this album is anything to go by it will be mind blowing.

Think this will be playing non stop for a while.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shayne under achieves, 22 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
In the days before 'The X Factor' became totally ridiculous and failed to create any stars, Shayne Ward stood out as one of the most worthy winners. A good-looking young man with a decent, versatile voice, the future looked bright for him. Indeed, his self-titled debut album was a big seller, though the bloom was off the rose for his second effort, 'Breathless' 18 months later. Despite producing 2 top 10 hits, the album fell off the charts quite quickly and Shayne seemed to have lost direction.

Skip forward 3 years and he's back in an uncertain market, ripped and waxed beyond recognition, and with a Nickelback cover as first single off his new album! Said song, 'Gotta Be Somebody' isn't actually bad and is one of the most commercial tracks on 'Obsession'. Sadly, the single has underperformed, peaking at #12 thus severely hampering the new album's chances of success. It does seem lazy chucking out a cover after 3 years away, but when you hear the rest of Shayne's latest, you can see they didn't have much of a choice...

'Obsession' is a strange album. At 10 tracks and barely 38 minutes in length, it doesn't feel like it was 3 years in the making. There's another cover too, a cod-reggae attempt at 'Nobody Knows'. I know it originally came out in the 90s but can't for the life of me remember who did it. It is/was staggeringly dull, though.

For me, the worst thing about 'Obsession' is what has been done to Ward's voice. It's smothered in effects from start to finish, and despite his distinctive falsetto being overused, it could be anyone. Any old fans expecting a 'That's My Goal' or 'No Promises' will be bitterly disappointed here as none of the songs stand out and I struggle to see a second single. It seems a real shame that obviously a great deal of work has gone into the making of this album with such so-so results.

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly not a bad album. It's pleasant and undemanding but I doubt it will do much for Ward's career and have a sneaking suspicion that album #4 will be a long time in coming...

5.0 out of 5 stars FRENCH FAN, 17 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
I hope a deluxe version like 2 others albums with "Dont Kill This Love","The Way You Are" an why not an acoustic version of "obsession"(seen on youtube).

2.0 out of 5 stars Ward is far better than this!, 26 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
Shayne Ward is a very good singer and this album just doesnt do him justice at all. They are wasting a good act here.

The album itself is pretty much throw-away-pop and none of the tunes particularly stand out. It is pleasent enough to listen to but is no where near as good as this act can produce. Hopefully the next album will allow Ward to really show what his voice is really capable of! There is a lot of voice modulation used in this album which baffles me as Wards voice really doesnt need it, it just detracts from the over all sound.

I would say if you are a big Shayne Ward fan then buy the album, your going to want to have it in your collection. Otherwise, maybe wait for the next one. This is not the album it could have been! :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Back and Brilliant, 21 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
Long awaited return of the gorgeous Shayne. No-one on X Factor today has a voice as good as his. I think this album is better than his second one. The track 'Obsession' is utterly brilliant and I agree with others that it should have been the track that was released as a single. It would have shot to the top of the charts. I like the fact that he gets to use his falsetto on many of the tracks. I also think the arrangments are much meatier and more professional than on his other two albums. I have only played it through twice now and all the songs have very strong hooks and you find yourself humming them and the tunes staying in your head, which is the sign of a good song. Goodness knows what Syco was thinking of when they moth-balled him for all this time. If they had backed him, like they backed Leona Lewis, Shayne could have been as big as Robbie Williams. Buy this album - you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Comeback, 16 Nov. 2010
Marty (Basingstoke) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
I wasn't expecting this! I've loved Shayne Ward's music since the single "No Promises" and have been an avid listener since; this guy can sing!
So here we have his new album, Obsession, and it doesn't dissapoint. There are some serious tunes going on here; Obsession is a fantastic song, reminds me a bit of Leona Lewis's "Bleeding Love" - it's got an epic sound to it and the vocals are out of this world. Other favourites are "Crash", "Human", "Waiting in the Wings", "Foolish" and "Must Be a Reason Why" - all are fantastic songs performed beautifully.
This album has a more serious tone than the last; it's a bit less Pop and more sincere lyrically. Infact, the only song I'm not keen on is the first single "Gotta Be Somebody" - it's kind of forgettable! I don't understand why this was chosen to represent the whole album; it's tone is completely different to the rest of the album (thankfully!)
This is a top album, in my opinion far better and more consistent than the new entries from Cheryl Cole, Rihanna and the like. This guy gets better with each album - hope he does another.

5.0 out of 5 stars shane ward cd at last, 8 Dec. 2010
Haffenden "Fiona's goodies" (Londonderry N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
I have waited a long time for him to release this, it was well worth the wait, its fabulous, I just hope we do not have to wait so long for the next release. Defo worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Obsessed with Obsession, 2 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
Shayne Ward makes a fantastic return to the music scene with, in my opinion, his best album yet.Three years on from 'Breathless,' and five years after his debut self titled album, Ward has never looked or sounded better. This album is a fantastic mix between the fast, dance floor songs, and, more impressively, the ballad songs in which he made his name. 'Gotta be Somebody,' albeit a cover of Nickelback, is a fantastic opening, giving an inclination of what to expect, and certainly doesn't warrant such an underachievement in the charts. 'Obsession' is my favourite, with Ward hitting the high notes as only he can, and if released as a single would no doubt be one of the songs of the year. All other songs are amazing, with 'Crash, Waiting in the Wings, Human and Foolish' genius, and highlighting his versatility. As an artist, Ward has used his three year abscence to show the world he means business, and looks setto dominate the charts for yearsto come.

Obsession
Obsession by Shayne Ward (Audio CD - 2010)