Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 9 January 2011
Series 3 of Merlin is as brilliant as the first two series. I loved it.

However, I was really looking forward to listening to the commentaries and watching the DVD extras and I was so very disappointed. The commentaries on the DVDs for the episodes in Series 1 and 2 were brilliant, informative and very funny, especially when Double Trouble (Bradley and Colin) were doing them. On this Series 3 DVD there were only commentaries for two out of the six episodes. The one featuring Angel Coulby and Richard Wilson was okay, if a little boring, but then Richard isn't really used to doing this DVD thing. The one featuring Bradley and Katie was really bad, mostly consisting of long periods of silence. They did say that they had been dragged out of bed to record the commentary in the early hours of the morning during the last week of filming, when I imagine they were both very tired, but under the circumstances it would probably have been better not to include it on the DVD at all. Also, I really missed the input from directors and producers which was evident on the commentaries on the first two series.

On the extras DVD there is no Secrets and Magic: A Look Behind the Scenes, no interviews with cast or crew, no Cast Video Diaries, all of which were on the DVDs for Series 1 and 2 and were brilliantly entertaining. These are the extra little things that make it worth buying the DVDs. All you'll find on the Series 3 DVD is some deleted scenes and some outtakes which you've probably already seen as they are the same ones that are on the official BBC Merlin website.

If you're thinking of buying the Series 3 DVDs just to watch the episodes again, then it's worth it. If you're thinking of buying it expecting to get the same quality of special features as on the first two series then I think you will be very disappointed. It may be that there will be more extras on Volume 2 or the complete boxed set, one can only hope, but I fear it's probably in vain and I suspect that BBC cutbacks are to blame.
on 16 November 2010
The new series of Merlin is easily the best one yet. Loving the darker edge, battles and Morgana becoming fully bad (which is what everyone was waiting for deep down)

This new DVD has some additional deleted scenes which look amazing, and the out-takes are Hilarious. But I think my favourite extra on the DVD is the Audio Commentaries, especially the from Richard Wilson and Angel Coulby, who are Hilarious and is absolutely classic!

The box also looks great with the background and Morgana eyes shining, and will be definitly giving a copy of this to my nephew for xmas.
on 26 December 2010
I've been a fan of Merlin since the series began back in 2008 and with that, I've purchased every single volume of the DVDs. Series 3 Volume 1 hasn't disappointed, it contains the first 6 episodes of the third series as well as a third disc that consists of bonus features which for the first time ever includes Deleted Scenes and Outtakes. This is a real treat for us fans who want to enjoy just a little bit extra of the show. The Outtakes segment is over 3 minutes long and features some hillarious takes. The Deleted Scenes was in my opinion the best bonus feature which in total has a runtime of well over 15 minutes of unseen material. I particularly liked the menu system of the DVDs which gives you a 3D tour of the Camelot castle and I must say this looks gorgeous when viewed on a HD screen. Two of the episodes also contain audio commentary.

The final volume of Series 3 is released in January and from reading the description on Amazon includes even more bonus material including a Behind the scenes Making of Series 3 documentary, more deleted scenes and more outtakes as well as the full length episodes themselves.

It's a must for any Merlin fan as are the Series 1 & Series 2 boxsets. You really don't want to miss out on owning this, one of the BBC's most successful fantasy drama's to date.
on 17 November 2010
Got this the other day... its such a great show & really nice to own a copy... not always in on a Saturday so can catch up on episodes i missed.

Deleted scenes & Audio Commentaries & bloopers are very cool espec - Richard Wilson and Angel Coulby who are spot on & good fun... defo recomend.
on 17 November 2010
Everyone in my household loves the new series and we all agree that it's the best one yet! It's a bit darker than previous ones but that seems to have improved it - loving the action and the special effects and can't wait to see how this series will end. Also for other fans out there I saw that a 4th series has been confirmed already, so good to see that we'll have plenty more to look forward to!

On the DVD, first thing I'll say is that it's a great package. The artwork on the shiny box looks really good and we've been through all the episodes and a lot of the extras already; especially enjoyed the out-takes - am amazed the cast got through the filming given how often they seem to crack up laughing.

All in all this is a great show and a great DVD and hey, anything with Warwick Davies in has to be good!
on 15 November 2010
The 3rd series of this BBC show, has just got better and better. This has become one of the few programmes that my wife & I watch every week with our teenage kids. The tone has got slightly darker, but as a consequence, our kids are growing up and still enjoying the show. Look forward to buying part 2 of the 3rd series on DVD - brilliant!!!
on 17 November 2010
such an engaging sat night drama - great special FX and signed, sealed and delivered in just 45 mins every time. Just what someone of my attention span needs :)Lots of great acting from old hands alongside younger eye candy. boxset here we come!
on 30 September 2010
This series of MERLIN is by far the scariest one and its only just begun! In the first one my sister screamed at the bit where Uther's wife comes out of the well! I love MERLIN so much and i think that my all time favorite was BEAUTY AND THE BEAST PARTS 1 & 2 because the troll was so funny! And i also laughed a lot in last week's episode GOBLIN'S GOLD because Goblin Gaius was really funny!
on 24 August 2011
The Merlin series carries on getting better as the series progresses. It is darker and therefore more enjoyable, but retains the humour which makes it so endearing. Colin Morgan's self effacing portrayal of Merlin deserves more credit than he receives, and Richard Wilson is as good as you expect him to be. The next series promises to be even better.
on 1 December 2011
This series is spectacular! I wonder each time what the next series will bring, but somehow the Merlin production team manage to make the show get better and better every time.

It's edgier, funnier, wittier and even more magical than ever before. Needless to say, I loved it and highly recommend the purchase.