5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect compromise
I'm a professional photographer and brought this camera for those occasions when lugging around a 5+kg DSLR/lens combo just isn't practical.

Published on 21 Oct 2010 by D. Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars First impression impresses, now second and third impression too
This is the first Canon product I have bought for more than ten years. (I've spent thousands on Nikon and Epson in the meantime). Canon upset me with their unfriendliness, lack of after sales service and by insisting on charging me just to ask a question on the phone.
I wanted a pocketable, high quality camera to replace a Ricoh CX2 which, good as it was, just wasn't...
Published on 9 Aug 2011 by A. Korsner

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect compromise, 21 Oct 2010
D. Jones (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon PowerShot G12 Digital Camera (High Sensitivity 10 MP, 5x Zoom) 2.8 Inch Vari-angle Purecolor LCD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)

So after much interent research (as we all do these days) I decided to go for the G12 and am very pleased I did. I also own the Lumix LX3 but the G12 feels so much nicer to hold and use and the manual controls are a dream (no fiddly menu system).

The inclusion again of the front jog wheel is genius (why did Canon ever remove it?!?!) and the ability to use my flashguns and ST-E2 on the hot shoe are just an added bonus.

Image quality is fantastic and noise is kept in check even at higher ISO settings for a sensor this small. Of course it's not going to out-perform a 1D MkIV with a £1.5K prime lens but that's the compromise for portability.

It may be that I'm too used to large DSLRs but it doesn't feel that big to me either and fits in my trouser pocket just fine. Perhaps I just have big trousers!

5.0 out of 5 stars For Pros and Enthusiats, 16 Jun 2011
Antoine Camilleri - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Update 4th Feb 2014: I still use the G12 very often as the IQ beats many other modern cameras, bar the G15.

I do have a great selection of cameras, Canon 7D, Panasonic Lumix FZ200 & Lumix TZ 20, Leica V-Lux 2 plus a couple more, so I was initially hesitant to buy this camera as it sort of looked like overkill. Yet having owned the never failing G2 for nearly a decade I finally took the plunge.

First of all I fell in love with the looks, and you really need to see one in real life to really appreciate why. The retro style knobs and little orange lights indicating the settings are simply a joy to look at and use, clearly displaying the ISO, shutter speed and exposure. The camera sports the canon DSLR like rotating dial on the rear and another one just in front of the shutter release.

Yet having said that, we ultimately buy cameras for image quality. And all I could say when looking at the pics was WOW!! This camera has got such a great IQ, and unless you go to full size view, you could find yourself wondering whether the pics are from the 7D or the Canon G12, which costs a fraction of a half descent lens for a DSLR.

This is really a great camera, no wonder it holds its price. It is and feels rock solid, and is truly a masterpiece of technology.

The viewfinder is not a digital one, so really it does not see through the lens,(no information is displayed on it either) which could result in some close up photos being offset, yet once you go beyond a few meters than this tends to become more accurate. The articulated screen is packed with all the details you could wish for, albeit not a touch screen.

This Canon G12 will appeal to pros as it really compliments a DSLR. I also recommend it to the enthusiast who wants total control over his shots. The auto mode copes extremely well too.

The G12 does offer loads of features which can be looked up on dpreview or other sites, yet I would like to mention the miniature mode produces some great effects, and is not just a gimmick.

Whenever I read a review of a camera, my main priority is image quality, as its useless to have a gazillion of features yet a "so and so" image quality.

All I can say is that this little gem will perform and live up to your expectations. The added DSLR features are a great bonus.

If I had to loose this camera I would probably go for the G15. It does loose the ISO setting dial, the fully articulated screen and, to some extent, the retro looks of the G12, yet it performs better and produces better IQ IMHO.

I highly recommend this camera (prices should have dropped given that at time of updating review the G16 is out) to anyone wanting a great camera. Apart from excellent image quality, I love the fact that I do not have to fiddle around a menu system to change basic functions like ISO and Exposure Compensation.

Update 1st June 2014: I have bought the brilliant G15 and love the improved performance and IQ. So weigh your options well and read the reviews.

I do hope that this unbiased review could guide you in selecting the right camera for your needs, and wish you happy snapping :)

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Camera!, 22 Jan 2011
I deliberated long and hard about buying a Canon "G11" series camera. In fact, so long that by the time I'd decided to investigate/research prices online, the G12 had been released! I wasn't sure I could justify the cost as I own an EOS450d, which for my amateur purposes was more than adequate. Only thing with the EOS: size and weight. I wanted a pocket-size camera that would still give me freedom to play with aperture/shutter speed etc. and that I could comfortably carry around all day - even when just going out to the shops or collecting children from school.

The camera is certainly bigger and heavier than a simple point-and-shoot: you'd need pretty big pockets! (But I knew that from reading online reviews.) Having looked at point-and-shoot, I knew I wouldn't be happy with one: they're too light and flimsy for me and another major point: I didn't like the fact that most came without a viewfinder.

The Canon G12 feels good in the hand, and - surprise, surprise, I've hardly used the viewfinder, as the swing-out screen with its useful "spirit level" function is really good quality in all lights. If you're used to a Canon dslr then the controls on the G12 should look/feel familiar.

I'm really pleased with initial pictures, using the auto function(nothing too ambitious yet); you can see two of the first set I took above: close-up of rose and close-up of autumn leaves.

Slight niggle: it would have been nice to have had a paper manual included rather than just a cd.

So, after reading the reviews here on Amazon and on dpreview online, I'm really pleased with my purchase. No nasty surprises: just as I expected and a good price from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Powershot G12, 3 Feb 2011
Thought long and hard over this. Wanted compact so was looking at LX5, GF1, Canon S95 and the G12. Finally decided on G12. It is not exactly compact but loved the chunky feel of this little brick. Build is excellent apart from slight niggle about control dial on rear of camera. Using as point and shoot gives very good results but really gets interesting when you realise that this is a serious little camera. Jpegs good but for best results use RAW setting. Very useful ISO range. LCD screen excellent in bright and low light, viewfinder is ok but field of view is limited especially when using filter adapter. Focus fast and accurate with various settings including focus check,lock, face select. Do spend time to learn how to fully exploit all the buttons, dials, menus crammed into this camera and you will realise that you have got yourself a bit of a bargain and enjoy this great little camera. So if you want to move up from a point and shoot or have a DSLR and lots of lenses and dont want to lug all that kit around buy the G12

5.0 out of 5 stars Great improvement over my G10, 25 Nov 2010
Before I had the G12 I owned a Canon G10, so this seemed a logical upgrade for me. I already own a professional Canon DSLR so wasn't phased by a cheaper SLR or an sub-DSLR. I wanted another powerful compact I could slip into a coat pocket.

The instant improvements with the camera are the cracking new Image stabilisation features (over the G10 and G11) and the reduced megapixel rating from the G10, to further help reduce digital 'noise' on the images in low light.

I recently took the camera to a range of events (a fashion shoot I was shooting with my DSLR, a gig, a theme park, and just pottering around town taking snaps) and it performed flawlessly with image quality not too far off my DSLR when remaining uncropped.

I would heartily recommend this camera so far, as the results are spectacular.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Canon G12, 19 Feb 2011
Anastasios Papatsoris (Greece) - See all my reviews
A very capable photographic tool for outdoor/travel and people/portraiture photography as well as photojournalism. Image quality is simply amazing for a camera with a sensor of this size. The camera's ergonomy is excellent and it feels very solid and sturdy. It has all the necessary external manual controls demanded by an educated user for making expert adjustments quickly and effectively. It is also worth mentioning that the Canon G12 is accompanied by Canon's professional DPP software, which among other image manipulating capabilities, allows for RAW image processing. A very solid buy, whole heartedly recommended to everyone wishing to obtain a portable small sensor camera with excellent image quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing little box of tricks., 22 Aug 2011
I've had this camera for two months and it still amazes me.

I've previously had an Canon Ixus 60 and a Fuji F50. However, I felt ready to move on from the F50. Yet I wasn't happy with buying a dSLR if it meant it was too bulky to move around - it'd be used only for special occasions and there was a lot of investment in the system. So I looked at bridge cameras only to realise they were still too bulky and that what I really wanted was a high-end compact. After much faffing around, I settled for the G12. At the time of purchase, I could have bought a Canon 500D/550D for a little more!

From the moment I picked it up, I loved it. I loved the chunky feel - it feels snug in my hand. Unlike others who seem to have problems, I've not accidentally pressed any buttons. The build, although plastic, is very solid and reassuring. It feels expensive in your hand. It comes with a neck strap which I think is a bit OTT - a wrist strap would suffice and is my next purchase.

The screen is good - it's not spectacular but it's fine for looking at the photos you've taken. The variangle feature (one of the points that drew me to the G12) is excellent. I've used it to take shots above other peoples' heads as well as from low down. Taking pics of yourself with friends is a lot easier too.

The viewfinder is pretty pants IMO and could have done with being electronic but I guess it's asking too much.

5x zoom works very well and the pictures are still very sharp. However, when you have compacts with larger zooms, it does make you wish you could zoom more. The camera does go into digital zoom if you try to zoom beyond the optical range. The autofocus works really well but when moving, I find it struggles a bit more.

Lowlight functioning is great and the pics are as good as indoor pics but I did find the autofocus struggled and again this was whilst moving eg taking a photo whilst walking.

The camera has RAW functionality, which was another reason for me choosing the G12. The downsides are that you can't take RAW pics in fully auto mode and that older software won't recognise the G12's RAW format - you have to update your software. The latest copy of CS5 will happily open G12 but if you have an older copy like CS3, it won't be supported. Windows have also started to have native RAW file support so you can see the pics like with other supported formats and again the G12 has been omitted.

I love the histogram function - you have a live histogram, and it can be displayed on when reviewing the photos as well as the RGBK channels. The camera also has a built in ND filter which you can hear click into place when activated. Need to have a fiddle with this as I've only just discovered it!

Finally, battery life. Mine lasted six hours of near-continuous use before it conked out. Only on second charge so no idea if it'll improve with further recharge-discharge cycles or whether it'll stop there. As it stands, I've bought another battery - a complete necessity IMO - you'll love taking pics with this little camera.

All-in-all, an excellent purchase and I've no regrets, despite the niggles.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to learn digital photography, 27 Jan 2011
A. de Fleury "markdefleury" (Bath, UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased the G12 last year and have just returned from a holiday taking over 2000 pictures with the camera. This is the 5th and best digital camera that I have had owned, which include a EOS450D. The reason that the camera is so good is that you can easily change functions using the dial rather than having to go through endless menus. I find the exposure compensation a very helpful facility, slightly underexposing helps you deal with overexposed skies a common digital problem. The "spirit level" function is a fantastic as you don't waste time levelling pictures in postproduction, it would be great to see this feature on other cameras. I do agree with other reviewers that the lack of a manual is a pain. I also find that it is easy to accidently change functions but that is only a minor criticism. To sum up this is a suburb camera and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in developing their digital photography skills, it is so easy to change and adjust functions and see the reuslts. It would be nice to see manufactures making DSLR's this easy to use with manual controls. A the end of the day the quality of the pictures are good which is guess why we buy these cameras! If you want to see some of te results take a look at my Flick account:[]

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon Powershot G12, 6 Jan 2011
Very well specified high quality camera but with many controls & adjustments @ one's finger tips it's all too easy to unintentionally alter settings. It's definitely not a 'pocket' camera being bulkier & heavier than typical compacts thus it's more comparable to a 'bridge' camera for carrying around. The hinged rear screen can get in the way although it can also be very useful. It would have got 5 stars if the manual focus adjustment was from the front dial - not availble on the G11 - instead of the rear control wheel which is poorly designed & much too fiddly - G10 design was much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Product, 6 April 2011
Delighted with this camera having owned two before which had issues. The greatest delight to me is the ability to use a square format and to get very high quality in terms of resolution at a wide range of ISO and apertures. Rear dial a little fiddly but heh... it's a compact! Not as good as the SLR top Canons, but a must for a travel and back-up system - and one that does a superb job!