Colour: Black|Change

on 18 September 2011
Bought this for work where we have to have tops on drinks to carry. I have had a similar one before but the plunger was plastic and broke quickly - this one is very robust as you would expect from Bodum and makes a really good cup of fresh proper coffee. It also keeps it reasonably warm for about 45 mins.
on 9 July 2012
One of my colleagues have one of these and as I was getting fed up with instant coffee I decided to buy one myself.
The design is spot on, everything locks together as it should and even though it looks like it flimsy and will get hot, it is not. Even pouring boiling water in it, still only raises the outside temperature to a hand warming degree, nothing more.
It is easy to clean and operate and I can certainly see me bringing this with when going camping over just about any other solution as you can get a nice cup of proper hot coffee with bringing an additional item to brew in and the lid & plunger locks down tight when not in use to allow movement.
Good job there Bodum.
on 4 February 2012
Marvellous , only a small gripe, I wish it was completely leak proof, however a brilliant item to use and keeps my drink lovely and hot :)
on 9 December 2011
This cup does mostly do the job but I've had a couple of niggling issues with mine that I thought I'd share. I have been using a Costa travel mug previously that didn't suffer any of these issues but obviosly didn't have the coffee press option.

1. Firstly the plunger doesn't plunge right to the bottom of the cup s per a normal coffee press. This means that you get a large area of the bottom of the cup (1/4) that is wasted.
2. The lid on the cup overlaps the cup edge meaning that it is very easy to catch on things if you put it in a bag after use. Along with the issue above this means that the liquid that is caught in the bottom part of the cup can then leak out, which has happended to me on a number of occasions.
3. The lid on the cup also does not form a seal when closed meaning that when travelling liquid starts to seep out from under the lid

I noticed that one of the reviews said that this cup doesn't fit in their cars cup holder, well this does fit in mine (which is a BMW 3 series). However it is slightly wider and shorter then most other travel cups.
on 19 May 2016
I often leave the house in a bit of a rush and don’t usually have the time for the nice relaxing morning routine that most of us would like. Sadly this means that I usually end up leaving the house without my caffeine hit.
With this cup I can leave the house and by the time I’m the train station I can push the plunger down and have a freshly pressed cup of coffee.
I sometimes find that the last bit of coffee gets stuck under the plunger rather than filtering when it’s tipped leaving only the grinds. But this is because it creates a vacuum. If you pull the plunger up slightly and then tip it then the air below the plunger lets the coffee filter through leaving nothing but grinds in the bottom.
I’m a bit disappointed by the material it’s made out of, it feels a bit cheap and while I haven’t experienced the cracking and loss of vacuum that some people have, the inside of the cup look like it’s been scratched by the coffee grinds through regular use.
The cup also comes with a spare lid so if you don’t want to use it as a travel press then it can be used as a normal thermal cup.
on 26 November 2014
Works, sort of but it's not my favourite.

It definitely keeps a drink warm but there are a few niggles, most importantly the press doesn't seem to seal well and there are always coffee grounds in the drink.

The press doesn't plunge far enough leaving a tantalising amount of precious, deliciously caffeinated coffee in the bottom of the mug, tipping the mug up to get that coffee just fills your mouth with the aforementioned grounds.

The lid has a habit of not sealing properly or working loose, the first ten minutes or so, it's fine, then you have to check to make sure it's tight, my shirt bears the evidence of the times I forgot.

The plastic taste, I've owned this for a week now and it's still got it after one coffee and a wash in warm soapy water every day.

Nice try but I won't be recommending it to anyone and this one will only be used when I can't find the other two much cheaper travel mugs I own.
on 11 November 2014
Update 11 months after purchase: I use this less than once a week, so this coffee maker hasn't had much use. Today when I added water, there was cracking noise - although it didn't actually leak, there is a definite crack in the plastic so it's no longer safe to use.

Original feedback:
I bought this so that I could make my favourite Ethiopian coffee in my room when staying at motels, without having to take a glass cafetière. As a combination cafetière & mug-with-lid, It is convenient & does keep the coffee hot for a long time. Predictably, keeping the hot water in contact with the coffee grounds for a long period does increase the amount of caffeine in the coffee. When taken into the car, it fits perfectly in the cup-holder - the only thing to remember is that the lid is not water-tight.

I only use this occasionally, so cannot say whether the plastic would withstand frequent use, but I am very happy with this product.
on 14 September 2015
Disappointing.
I bought 2 of these Bodum travel mugs because a friend of mine has one and swears by hers. I thought was buying the same; but these are different - for starters, I'm sure these are smaller than the metal travel mugs.... and yes, these are not metal, they are plastic, and do not insulate as efficiently. Where my friend's coffee stays warm for hours, the coffee in these cools down very quickly, very little difference from a normal cup.

Also, the plunger is pretty naff. I have coarse grain coffee, as recommended, and I'm getting mouthfuls of grains, particularly toward the end of the drink. So yeah, if, like me, you are attracted by the seemingly very reasonable price for a travel press set, (and also didn't realise it's just plastic) un-attract yourself and try to buy the Bodum Travel Press Set that is metal - that one, my friend says is great and keeps her coffee drinkable for hours.
on 25 April 2016
I can only drink fresh, ground coffee. Don't like Italian expresso based coffee and think instant coffee tastes like OXO. So to get a cup of coffee at work had been very difficult. This is ideal. The main issue is making the coffee and bringing the container home. A standard cafetiere leaks all over the place (it's difficult to dispose of the grounds at work) this doesn't. So I get at least one fabulous cup of coffee. It also doesn't cool when it's brewing. The only very slight issue, the reason why I haven't given it five stars is because the cap that closes the hole can get knocked loose. All you have to do is clip the drinking hole cover properly in place, pack it carefully so it doesn't snag on anything else (it doesn't come out unless it snags on something) and it won't leak at all, not one slightest bit. It gives me real pleasure to have a proper cup of coffee at work and this is an excellent idea.
on 24 May 2014
I bought this in August and after 9 months of daily (if not more!) use, the inner plastic has cracked slightly and allowed coffee to leak into the vacuum space and get stuck. It has served me very well until now. Kept coffee hot for a good hour or more if left shut with the lid on. It does need to be kept fairly upright and I also found I needed to make sure the lid was properly screwed on before drinking as it sometimes dribbled a bit as the plastic expanded with heat. But as long as you remember to make sure it's tight before drinking, no problems.
I think the reason it cracked was a combination of dishwasher, boiling water and a fall from a 4ft high locker. It did get a fair bit of abuse. Going to replace it with a metal one and not put it in the dishwasher to see if it lasts bit longer. All in all, very happy with it! An excellent way of getting proper coffee on the go and definitely worth the money.