5.0 out of 5 stars A kitchen workhorse.
This reasonably priced paperback is what I call a kitchen workhorse. One of those books you go back to time and time again for basic techniques and information. It is not a glossy coffee table book with photos to die for - it has no photos at all.
Published on 16 May 2010 by Kindle Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published on 16 Feb. 2012 by Mrs. J. Gardner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A kitchen workhorse., 16 May 2010
Kindle Customer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Instead this book talks you through the basic ingredients of Thai cooking - what does what, why you use it and what to substitute if you can't get it. It has a section on growing your own herbs for authentic flavour. It has a chapter on equipment, and cooking techniques. It explains how to get the right balances in flavour. There is a chapter on Thai curry pastes, describing and explaining them all, and even tells you how to jazz up store bought curry pastes. It then takes you to the step by step recipes. These go from a step by step guide to perfect steamed jasmine rice, which not only tells you what to do, but more importantly why, to recipes for perfect pad thai, with tips and important points to remember for instance;

"Cook your pad thai in one or two serves only: too much food in the wok will stew rather than stir-fry and you won't get that lovely `wok' flavour."

This book is almost the Thai cooking version of Nicholas Clee's "Don't Sweat the Aubergine: What Works in the Kitchen and Why"
The reason to buy this book is that it cost's no more than a one meal readymade fancy pack of Thai spices, and you will never need to buy a ready meal again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 16 Feb. 2012
I love the Curry Secret book and although I cook a lot of Thai dishes I was interested to see if this book contained different recipes. I don't think there was anything in it which could not be sourced in a more authentic Thai cook book. With the Curry Secret there is a base sauce which once cooked can be used along with various spices and ingredients to make many exciting dishes. By nature Thai cooking is a combination of quick stir fry dishes which do not take as long to prepare so no real secrets here just a more anglicized version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic taste, 11 Feb. 2011
This no frills book delivers just what it says on the title page, at least for the recipes we have tried so far. It gets that balance of flavours created by those combinations of exotic herbs and spices so distinctive of South East Asian Cooking off to perfection. A proper cook book and a real bargain at the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starter book, 30 May 2012
Lady Helen (Nestling in the green fields of Cheshire) - See all my reviews
We bought this to try some Thai dishes as my daughter has just returned from travelling in Asia and particularly loved the Thai food. We got an excellent price for this book and it covers a wide range of dishes so all in all a good buy. There are good explanations of basics and then a range of recipes to introduce the user to various aspects of Thai cuisine. The only thing is the recipes are in cups but that doesn't put me off recipe books. Also as you would expect some ingredients are unusual. As always with the Right Way series this is a good value starter book and I would recommend it.Thai Cookery Secrets: How to Cook Delicious Curries and Pad Thai

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book at a good price, 28 Mar. 2012
Despite being an experienced cook I am new to Thai cookery and since I have previously bought the Takeaway Secrets book I thought I'd give this one a try also.

Although the book has no pictures it's full of handy tips and I'm using it along side my more colourful Thai cookbooks as a back up. That said I made the Red Curry Paste as a base for a curry and it was excellent, fresh tasting with a spicy bite that blended well with the coconut flavours in the curry I made. I'd definitely recommend this book as a starting point for Thai food, or to use as I do to supplement the information given in more colourful books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tastless, 27 Feb. 2014
I had great hopes for this book and went out and bought all the spices and a blender, but after that it went downhill all the dishes I tried were bland and nowhere like a restaurant meal

2.0 out of 5 stars A let down, 29 Jun. 2011
D Moore "Danny Boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
Following the amazing Curry Secret book from the same author I thought I was going to be in with a treat but tried a few recipes and they didnt turn out well at all. Not sure if it was me or the books fault but given the expense and difficulty in finding some of the hard to find ingredients it might be better to opt for dining out instead. If you want a great book buy her indian receipe book - The Curry Secret but leave the Thai alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says it will!, 16 Jan. 2012
D. Izod - See all my reviews
This is a good little book. Even if you don't follow the recipes exactly, it will give you lots of ideas and 'structures' that you can follow to improve your Thai cuisine. Although the ingredients are without doubt NOT ones you are going to find at your local Happy Shopper, fact is, even us who live out in the sticks with sheep and cows as our neighbours, are within half an hour of a good Asian store that can provide most if not everything required.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to do recipes, 31 Oct. 2012
Tough this book is merely as a typical textbook Chris Dhillon made tai cooking an easy case. what i liked from this book is the way to cultivate several of the spices in your home (as lemongrass and ginger )
Another very interesting point is the way to season your wok (though my wok is for electric stove!)
I have made only one recipe so far which was yummy

my full review is here
[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Appetizing stuff!, 16 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Thai Cookery Secrets (Kindle Edition)
Kris Dhillon has put together a great little book and I can't wait to give the recipes a bash. The instructions are clear and the recipes are not complicated. I have voted four stars because the book contains no pictures. I always like to see a picture in order to get an approximate idea as to what the fish should look like.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›