5.0 out of 5 stars Magic Magix
Published on 21 Nov. 2010 by Mr. R. Jackson

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Rubbish
Having suffered with this product for 60 days, I have concluded that it is an absolute disaster and even if it was freeware I would not use it or recommended it.

Published on 28 Jun. 2011 by Barty B

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic Magix, 21 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus with 3D Compatibility (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I have used Adobe premiere 6.5 for years as my home movies, and it really did give you a proffesional touch on the control of your movie, alas it is an old programme and did not like Windows 7. I looked at all the usual software choices and trials and opted for Magix. I am very impressed by the layout and ease of use. It has all the things you would look for on the timeline and basically drag and drop as you go along. What I really liked though was that since I am now filming in HD when loading this into other trial software the computer would freeze, on Magix it worked out that my three year old computer was lacking certain spec and made allowances. The 3D titles I have used are impressive and I can see that this programme is as expansive as you want it to be taking you to a very highl level. If you are looking to go into the home movie experience and want a programme that will get you started and with some effort take you to a semi proffesional level then this could be for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a stable reliable HD editor, 3 Jan. 2011
If you have been seeking the Holy Grail of an HD Editor which does the basic editing job (and much more), is stable, reliable and runs on modest hardware then this is it. I've been searching for this for the last year discarding Pinnacle 12 as erratic and Adobe Premiere Elements 9 as an unusable disgrace. But this is it, buy it!

Some facts and figures.

`Modest Hardware'
Vista, Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 GHZ, 4 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 2400 Pro. Barely mid-Range these days and below the quoted spec. But it works.

`Basic editing job'.
I've had the downloaded trial version for a week and have :-
1. Imported HD clips which play smoothly without any glitches. These are mp4 from a Samsung R10 camcorder (although in fact they were already in a Folder on the hard disc). Later, having made the mistake of deleting a project and all its' files before making some minor changes, I was able to import the .mts files from the AVCHD disc I had burnt from the project and continue the editing process with no problems at all.
2. Edited as required covering trimming, correction of lighting and colour problems, separation of video and audio tracks to associate the audio with an inserted still, grabbed some frames as stills for external editing with Photoshop, added titles and a 3 button menu. Actually nothing very fancy, no use of multi-tracks or 3D but in my simple world of organizing holiday videos this is all I want to do and I suspect all a lot of people need.
3. Rendered and burnt a 29 minute AVCHD disc in 3 hours 9 minutes. This plays perfectly on a Sony BDP S370 Blu-ray player.

Problems were really all about learning how to use it. Although I have been editing SD video for 10 years, I didn't find the interface very intuitive and had to work quite hard to get in control of the product. Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus is not suitable for raw beginners unless they are very brave and resilient. The documentation at least with the down-loaded trial version lacked a manual and was pretty poor. There are the usual Help facilities plus short "how-to" videos available for separate download (if you noticed the entry in the Help menu). These were mildly useful. What is needed is one of those admirable Dummies books. All I could find on Amazon was a book written in German.

In fact the software is typically teutonic in the best sense of the word. Massively reliable (it hasn't crashed once in 10 days of use) and if you can control it then it will always deliver.

Download the trial version and try it for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are cheesed off with adobe premier elements try this, 15 Dec. 2010
This is a much, much better piece of software than Pre. Elements 8 or 9. It runs as software should (unlike pre. elemnets 8 or 9)and has lots of good and useful features for the novice and more advanced film maker. It appears stable and the workflow is good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Rubbish, 28 Jun. 2011

I orginally downloaded the trial version which incidentally, expired prematurely after only a week, not the full 30-days promised by Magix. As I needed to do some editing at short notice , I upgraded to a full version bought from Amazon. To cut a long story short, ever since installing Magix software I have suffered persistent crashes which has resulted days worth of work being lost. Recently (2 days past the free 56 day post-registration support period), I have been getting a system error ' MAGIX Video Deluxe has stopped working' and now can't get the program to run at all. Re-installing from the installer disc and applying bugfixes/updates has made no difference.

What makes it worse is that Magix's support website is positively user hostile. Magix are no doubt very helpful before you buy the product but, as others have found, truly unresponsive afterwards. The FAQs provides no real help and their forum is next to useless. It all rather seems like it is a conspiracy by Magix to get you to fork out for their Support Coupons at $12.99 a time. I've cut my losses and have gone with Adobe Premiere which is what I should have used in the first place.

In case you're wondering, I have a fast high spec PC running Windows 7 with a decent graphics card (well above the minimum recommended spec). As other reviewers have said, the product has some nice features but sadly if it doesn't run, you wont't be able to use them.

Frankly, this software has been nothing but grief and Magix customer support is next to useless. I cannot therefore advise anyone to buy this software. Avoid it like the plague.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality versatile product and worth every penny, 30 Nov. 2010
As an amateur movie maker I am more than impressed with MAGIX MOVIE EDIT PRO 17 PLUS. It is worth every penny beacuse of the vast amount of easy to use options you have in generating atmosphere scenary and lots of tasteful tricks. There are very expensive software rivals which do not come near this product. Well Done Magix!

1.0 out of 5 stars Installed it a week ago and have 10 crash files already, 20 July 2011
I upgraded from an earlier version because of the extra features. The software is wholly unreliable and crashes constantly. The worst offender seems to be when adding titles to a project. Don't expect any support either. Obviously Magix have the same approach to support as they have to quality assurance. Basically you take care of it. My last purchase from these guys.

5.0 out of 5 stars One happy camper x3 times over, 4 Dec. 2013
I realize most people only leave reviews as frustrated pay back for a purchase gone wrong.
This isn't one of those - but after reading several, I wanted to tell all.

I have no affiliation with Magix, and am just a video hobbyist.
I own 3 different copies of Magix Movie Edit Pro, love em all and here's why.

My first copy was version 15, I bought it on Amazon at a steep discount (because the then current released version was 17). It was originally installed onto a Dell GX745 running XP. It ran and performed fantastic, never crashed and was extremely responsive, even when dealing with 2hr+ DVD videos with over a hundred clips. This experience was far beyond what I had experienced with video editing software in the past.

My second copy was version 17, I bought a Blu-ray burner and wanted to create 1080p Blu-rays and good old Magix version 15 couldn't do that. By the time this happened version 2013 was out so again I bought at a steep discount. This version is installed on an HP Envy laptop running Windows 7. The Envy has an I7 CPU and with Magix screams through movie editing and encoding, never crashing always stable.

Then I got a Fuji 3D camera and 3D TV...
So - because my Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 wasn't the MX version I couldn't really create 3D Blu-rays. So one more copy was purchased, version 17 MX (again at a great discount - $25 from Amazon again because it wasn't the latest version). The newest version 17 MX is installed on my new desktop. It's a scratch built (from Newegg) AMD FX6300 CPU, Gigabite motherboard, MSI AMD graphics card and is also running Windows 7 - Like butter.
I just finished a 2.5hr 3D Blu-ray project, I zoom into high res 3D stills, intermix with 2D content, add sound tracks all effortlessly, even on my home brewed PC there was never a crash. I gotta say Magix has set the bar pretty high.

And by never needing the latest or greatest version, I've now got 3 awesome video editing PCs.
Which reminds me to mention that I upgraded the Dell to a quad core CPU and the OS to Windows 8.
I wasn't sure what that would mean for my version 15 projects... Magix & its projects were thankfully installed on the D drive. I was relieved to see it fired right up in the new OS without troubles, that is until I tried to burn a DVD... Went online and quickly found that version 15 isn't officially supported on Window 8 but after about an hours time reading forum posts on the Win8 & Magix15 no disk burn issue, I found and installed a fix and now all my old projects and Magix15 work at 100% again on Win8.

So I'm not saying other folk haven't had issues or that you wont either but in my experience on vastly different hardware and OSes, I've yet to have an issue worth writing about but do feel compelled to write about my good experiences in the hopes that an excellent product gets a fair shake and its developers are rewarded with success for their efforts.

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid video editor software, 20 Sept. 2011
Kaio (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This video editor does the job quite reliably and much much better than the over-hyped and over-rated Adobe Premiere Elements 9. In my opinion, the only competition to Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus is PowerDirector 9 Ultra 64 Edition (PC). Both of these two video editors have their weaknesses and strengths and I find it difficult to pick one over the other in video editing category. Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus however gives you something extra - you get a standalone Music Editor software included which is a retail product in its own right. In fact, why I bought Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus was because at the time music editing software was what I was after and it was nice to find both music and video tools packaged in one. While making product comparison, it is also worth pointing out that while PowerDirector 9 as video editor is a good product, it has adware built into it which is very annoying. Cyberlink (the company authoring PowerDirector and other multimedia software) know no shame for their aggressive adware. (Your only means of stopping the annoying adware is using Firewall setting against the program which is not a common task accomplished by an average user).

Magix customer care (be it telephone or web) in my experience is the best compared to most software companies that hide away from customers with email as the only means of communication (even if replied you very rarely get the right answer anyway). With Magix, you get to talk to real people at the end of the phone, and as important not on the extortionate-profit-sharing 0844 number, rather a normal 020 landline based in London although it will take you to Germany - where I think the customer care is based , and needless to say they speak perfect English!). Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes claims that are not fulfilled, 2 Feb. 2014
The video editing software itself does not appear to have major problems. Yes, it will take me a little while to find out how to get the programme to do exactly what I want it to do, but that is because - I suspect - a lack of expertise on my part, and not shortcomings with the software. I will continue to explore. One thing which does, I think justifiably, annoy me no end, is that this disk offers access to a 3D installation, and when you try to install it, the software will not allow you to register, and obtain the facility. Check on the associated website, and you find that the offered installation is now obsolete, and no longer an option, but you can 'free download' a trial version of the upgrade, and in 30 days pay another approx £80 to get the license key for it. If you're going to give me the darn thing with the purchased item, then bloody well give it to me. If not . . . then don't "offer" it, and let me buy the main programme on its own merit. DON'T try to hoodwink me. My next purchase for this function will, I assure you, not be labelled "Magix" for that reason alone. Then perhaps they'll learn. :-)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not happy, 27 Mar. 2013
Although I did not buy my version on Amazon, I think my critiscm is apt. When trying to load AVCHD or high quality video, it will not let you until you pay a fee of 10 Dollars. Despite the help saying the only fee you should have to pay is for MPEG-4. I contacted them, but you get the usual run-around.Has anyone else had this problem?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus with 3D Compatibility (PC)
Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus with 3D Compatibility (PC) by Magix Entertainment Ltd (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Out of stock