5.0 out of 5 stars If only it ran longer...
From time to time over the years I've tried searching for this series, having seen it on public TV in the US in the late '80s. I never saw all of it, either. So when I found it here on Amazon.co.uk, I had to have it. Although it's region 2 and PAL, it plays fine on my PC's DVD player, once I set the region correctly. Eventually I'll get a multi-region player...
Published on 15 Sept. 2011 by Cugel

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as funny as I remembered
This has not aged well. Seems just a little bit desperate.
Published 1 month ago by Jerry C

5.0 out of 5 stars If only it ran longer..., 15 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Hot Metal - The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)

This is five hours of painfully funny (grinning for hours!) comedy. Rapidly paced, lean dialog (careful, or you might miss something!) and a clever plot premise work wonders. The cast is outstanding, and Robert Hardy's expressions and exuberance playing two characters is the best thing since Alec Guinness in "Kind Hearts and Coronets."

And thank you Amazon.co.uk for making international checkout such a breeze.

5.0 out of 5 stars hot metal tv series, 27 Mar. 2011
J. C. Brown "Tin Star" (Wirral, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hot Metal - The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this because it is so funny, it's a pity only the two series were made, possibly the format was ahead of its time, Robert Hardy is brilliant playing both horrible characters. The dvds worked perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars News International, 3 May 2012
This review is from: Hot Metal - The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
The News of the World, Phone hacking, Journalist dirty tricks. This programme could have be written last week. From dodgy journalists, a devious editor and a manipulative Media mogul this could be a documentary about News International.
A great series - hard to realise it was original broadcast in the late 80's.

5.0 out of 5 stars good comedy, 25 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Hot Metal - The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Again,a series which was forgotten about.Robert Hardy is brilliant as Rathbone and Spam.To me the first series was a bit better then the 2nd.However Richard Wilson,post Meldrew is very good as Dicky Lipton.Caroline Milmoe also deserves a mention as reporter Maggie Troon.Good comic fun from Andrew Marshall and David Renwick.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blast from the past, 16 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Hot Metal - The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Hot Metal was something my friends watched when I was at school, but I never got round to for some reason. I'd give the first series five stars; the second only three. The cast change between the two series didn't do it any favours, but Robert Hardy is superb in both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Metal - The Complete Series [DVD], 27 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Hot Metal - The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I missed these series when originally aired and only came across the title in a programme on Richard Wilson. Finding the programme also featured with Robert Hardy I knew it was likely to be good and immediately looked for the title on Amazon. I was not disappointed, it is Superb comedy after today's offerings and Robert Hardys performance in two roles is excellent.

Over twenty years since the original release and it is a fresh today as then with media moguls, dodgy journalists and phone hacking.......

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent series, 19 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Hot Metal - The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent series and just how I remembered it. Even the bit where they satirised spitting image the very programme that shared that sacred Sunday night st 1030 slot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Metal - so prophetic!, 7 Aug. 2013
C. P. Brown "Strider" (Wakefield UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hot Metal - The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Hilarious and entertaining, especially in the light of recent events in the press. A welcome addition to my collection of comedy classics.

5.0 out of 5 stars gee I'm glad I live in New Zealand where the only real ..., 11 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Hot Metal - The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
A blast into the past. A time when tabloid journalism was almost, well lets face it , almost normal compered to todays scum suckers. gee I'm glad I live in New Zealand where the only real tabloid rag went into liquidation a while ago. Do not worry dear British people; the national media in New Zealand carries on the tradition!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comedy Gem, 16 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Hot Metal - The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Fantastic jaunt down memory lane. A real jibe against the red tops. It may be 25yrs old, but it still holds up even today with what the media gets up too even today!

I would say that this may possibly hold up better than drop the dead donkey. Hey I really miss good satire. TV land must think were all brain dead.

The only criticism is the conversion to DVD they left all the advert banner breaks in.

Hot Metal - The Complete Series [DVD]
Hot Metal - The Complete Series [DVD] by Robert Hardy (DVD - 2010)