Format: DVD|Change

on 10 November 2010
By this point, Heartbeat had settled down into its regular Sunday evening groove, and thus a few of the more post-watershed elements which gained the first series a 12 rating have gone. That's not to say it doesn't still contain some thought-provoking storylines: teenage pregnancy, racism and, in perhaps one of the series' best episodes, the aftermath of an outbreak of Foot and Mouth disease. This episode, "Bitter Harvest" echoes something of the 2001 outbreak, and is still quite difficult viewing. The song "Nights in White Satin" is used to particularly haunting effect throughout this episode.

Berry and Cusack are as good ever, and the second series also sees the introduction of fiesty Liverpudlian Gina to the Aidensfield Arms, with an increased role for the other policemen (Bellamy and Ventress). The stories also regularly feature Claud Greengrass on an almost weekly basis now - a good comic character, but perhaps overused in my opinion. I suppose it's more noticable when they are watched back-to-back.

Once again, the DVD menus are straightforward and Network have left on all of the original advert and title cards. The 1960s soundtrack is intact with the exception of songs by The Beatles which have been replaced by covers. Like their release of series 1, the DVD does not have any subtitles, which I can imagine it is annoying for some people.

The DVD has two rather nice extras - firstly the music video of Nick Berry's Heartbeat single and secondly an interesting 25-minute documentary "On Location with Heartbeat". This has interviews with most of the major cast members, as well as the producer and director. Bizarrely, they've even left on an advert for the original VHS releases - I wonder where the telephone number for "Yorkshire Television Enterprises" gets through to these days?
Series 2 has to be one of my favorite series of Heartbeat, we already know most of the guys from the first series. Plus we get to welcome Gina for the first time too.

Heartbeat Series 2:

Episode 8 – Baby Blues, 6 June 1993
Episode 9 – Wall of Silence, 13 June 1993
Episode 10 – Missing, 20 June 1993
on 24 March 2012
After a long while debating whether to start buying these releases, I finally decided to give it a plunge a couple of months ago, because after seeing some of the reviews I wasn't too sure of the quality of them. I needn't have worried! Having them originally taped on VHS, I can compare the music situation, and I can safely say that all the music (except tracks by The Beatles) are the original broadcast songs. As regards the Beatles covers, I find them very acceptable and in some cases almost like the originals. Network have done a great job considering the copyright issues. I would much rather have a Beatles song sung by someone else than to have pieces of the actual programme missing. As far as the "end of part one"/"part two" ad breaks being left in, Network do this with ALL their releases and NOT just Heartbeat. It makes for a more "original broadcast" feel about them. These early series are faultless and great drama. I must admit that I stopped watching Heartbeat after Series 12, due to the fact that Jason Durr left the show and the ever increasing relance on the "comedy" storylines rather than the drama. Enjoy these early series as much as possible, because sadly it loses something a lot later.
on 22 November 2010
I was realy looking forward to this long awaited release BUT I have to say I am seriously disappointed. Not at the series though, just at the very poor quality of the picture and sound. This could not have possibly been took from the original master tapes but I suspect from the original VHS release masters released some years ago. Compared to the recent showing of the series on ITV 3 the picture quality is terribly sub-standard. The fact that they have used embarassingly naff "Beatles Tribute" sound bytes in place of the originals is frankly laughable. The series itself and the quality of the stories is this product's only saving grace (hence the 3 stars).
The only hope of EVER getting a 100% authentic high quality product of this series is that it may get a Blue Ray release in the future. Let's hope they use the real masters with the real sountrack for that.
Final verdict.... a big let down but better than nothing I suppose
on 12 December 2010
My hubby & i love hearbeat & this dvd brings bk all the memories of watching the series 1st time around at ur own pace... Only thing we found was strange not to have the advert breaks cut out completly.( u dont get the adverts but screen comes up & then restarts.) We have pre ordered the nxt 1 out in Feb...
on 17 May 2015
Good story th an honest policeman. These days they all are betrayed as swearing, drinking, corrupt and chasing skirts around every corner.Refreshing to view this kind natured policeman & his lovely wife!
VINE VOICEon 24 February 2014
Please see my review for the third series which really sums up the three that I bought for my husband. Excellent stories that are still as enjoyable today as when they were first screened many years ago. Quite nostalgic to look back and see so many actors from Coronation Street etc who were probably then starting out!!! We really enjoy them!!
on 28 March 2014
Perfect for use, it met my expectations.
Very Good price What more could you ask for.
I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys old TV shows or films.
Not to be disliked it does what it says on the tin
on 29 November 2012
I loved the early Heartbeat series first time round, so it was great to get it on DVD. I wasn't disappointed. This is a funny, gentle, atmospheric police drama set in a lovely rural North Yorkshire setting. It's cosy, well made entertainment, well acted and well scripted. Fab!
on 25 August 2013
What can one say about Heartbeat? I am totally addicted to it. I love the characters, particularly Greengrass, the music is brilliant, and the scenery is all Yorkshire, an area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.