5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, and not just for Bollywood Fans
This is an entertaining film with very broad appeal, and a perfect start for anyone who has never seen an Indian film before.

It's full of comedy, but there are some serious themes too. For a British viewer it also provides some stereotype-busting glimpses of modern India.

This is the sort of film which everyone leaves with a silly grin on their...
Published on 8 Nov 2010 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Shame
I had not realised there would be no English subtitles. My Indian friends had spoken so highly about this film so I was thrilled to see it on Amazon.
Perhaps I missed where the language was mentioned???
Published on 10 Sep 2011 by Myfanwy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, and not just for Bollywood Fans, 8 Nov 2010
This review is from: Three Idiots [DVD] (DVD)

This is the sort of film which everyone leaves with a silly grin on their face. "Citizen Kane" it's not, but it's very entertaining and passes the test of a long film - at the end it doesn't seem possible that you've been watching for nearly three hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Excellence, 25 Jan 2011
P. Rubin "le-chaim" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Three Idiots [DVD] (DVD)
I loved this film. It is beautifully produced, has an intricate plot full of twists and turns and keeps you in stitches from start to finish.
The laughs are intelligent, not slapstick, yet my 10 year old daughter was laughing loudly and equally and has now watched the film 3 times in succession having never before seen an indian film.
Buy, beg, borrow or steal this film - you wont regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A deeply moving masterpiece, 4 May 2011
M. Wilkinson (Portsmouth, Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Three Idiots [DVD] (DVD)
This is a wonderful film which transcends labels like 'Asian Cinema' or 'Bollywood' and indeed, you don't need to be a fan of either to get a lot out of this film though at the very least, you should not mind subtitles too much. If you can get past that you will get to see one of the greatest films of your life, on a par with movies like Shawshank Redemption that are just classic feelgood movies.

The story is that two friends and a rival of theirs meet up hoping to meet their friend Rancho who vanished after going to the same engineering college with them. The days when they met him, getting to know him and all their adventures and shared experiences is displayed using flashbacks, there are a few songs but not many, and not enough to distract from the plot of the occasional song and dance is not your cup of tea.

There is a serious side to the movie which is easy to ignore, the theme of the pressures inherent in Indian society, boys should become engineers, girls should become doctors and the resultingly high suicide rates among students there. Even the caste system is scorned by Rancho and his open and vibrant philosophy of doing what you love.

I found the film amusing but not hilarious its just such a great journey and you have time over the 170 minutes (It won't feel that long) to feel like you're one of them and the ending itself is about as neat and happy as anyone could want. I watched it recently on Channel 4 (It prompted me to own a copy) and the subtitles on the dvd version are not quite as good in some bits but it probably won't detract from the movie at all.

The acting is great from everyone except maybe Chatur whose toadying and boasting may have been a little overdone. Aamir Khan and Kareena Kapoor are the male and female leads and are perfect for their roles. If this gives you a taste for Indian movies a nice follow up might be 'Asoka', 'My Name is Khan' or 'Like Stars on Earth' / 'Ghajini' if you want to see more of Aamir Khan, though I can't comment on the latter two as I haven't yet seen them.

Coming back to look at this review a few weeks after I posted it I wonder if I praised it highly enough. I mean for better or worse, people give 5 stars to films they liked quite a lot, I've done the same - so what do you give those movies that are truly magical and wonderful and stand head and shoulders above so many other 'good' films? Despite the length of this movie I've watched it at least 10 times by now, and could happily watch it without the subtitles since I know all the lines. Still, I plan to watch it many more times, and introduce all my friends to it.

Almost everyone will enjoy this modern classic and its a great family film. Watch this film as soon as you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bollywood Movie for Birthday Present, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Three Idiots [DVD] (DVD)
Good Movie :) Best birthday present to give to my sister! She is very happy & thrilled to get such a present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous film!, 16 Jan 2014
MRS (Nottingham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Three Idiots [DVD] (DVD)
Funny, meaningful, touching, entertaining!
I'd seen it once and could not wait to see it again: loved it again and so did my other half who saw it for the first time...

5.0 out of 5 stars fawlty but perfect, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Three Idiots [DVD] (DVD)
I had to request three copies of this film because the first 2 were faulty. It scores very highly on IMDB and its right. A simply fabulous film even with subtitles which is funny warm believable and quite quite brilliant for all ages. Should be much more widely known...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Three Idiots [DVD] (DVD)
One of the best film that I have watched some years ago. Bought this as a gift. The only potential downside is that English subtitles that I saw in YouTube did not do total justice to the film as some of the essence of the comedy is lost via translation (or maybe because I don't get it in English). I watched the film with Chinese subs and it was better so I definitely hope that this DVD would be able to amend that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Watching - AGAIN AND AGAIN., 19 Aug 2013
Helena Wright - See all my reviews
This review is from: Three Idiots [DVD] (DVD)
I purchased this movie having watched it three times via You Tube!

It makes me cry.
It makes me laugh out loud.
It has left me with a 'mantra' for the rest of my days...

(If you need more help to decide - Just read the reviews on You Tube!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: Three Idiots [DVD] (DVD)
Superb film - we watched it dozens of times and shared with our friends of various nationality and age groups - all love it! It's funny, touching, a feast for the eyes, great songs, and with it all it has a serious and wise message for all parents! It's Bollywood with a tongue in its cheek - it's great.

5.0 out of 5 stars This must be one of the best films ever!, 19 Mar 2013
Tony Coles (Winsford, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Three Idiots [DVD] (DVD)
Aamir Khan challenges traditional views of education. Very funny but also challenging. Education is not just about giving the right answer in examinations. A good film for everyone in education to watch. You do have to put up with reading subtitles, but it's worth it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Three Idiots [DVD]
Three Idiots [DVD] by Rajkumar Hirani (DVD - 2011)