5.0 out of 5 stars The best book for ASP.Net 4.0
Published on 4 Dec. 2011 by Russell G. Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Constant Flipping
Published on 30 Mar. 2011 by Mike

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book for ASP.Net 4.0, 4 Dec. 2011
I bought this book as a companion to Matthew MacDonald's other work on asp.NET 4.0 `Beginning ASP.NET 4.0 in c# 2010" and I have been more than impressed with both works. The beginners book is as the title implies, for beginners, but the depth of this work makes it a complete reference in itself. However for the developer with some understanding of ASP.NET, the pro version is, in my opinion, the definitive work. I have a book shelf full of ASP.NET books, but this one is the one that always stays on my desk.
As always, Matthew has produced a scholarly work, but has also managed to make it readable as well. I would recommend it to any serious developers as a `must-have'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on ASP.NET, 3 Aug. 2013
Rui Ribeiro (Aradas, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This one of the best books on ASP.NET 4.0, covering many aspects of .Net 4.0 web programming, focusing a lot more on Web Forms than on MVC. It have several editions of this book and it is as good as a single book on a vast subject can be. It can be used both to learn how to develop Web form web apps and as a reference.

The book is composed of 5 parts. Part I explores core concepts of the .Net platform and .net framework as well as a brief introduction on Visual Studio 2008. Part II introduces data access, especially ADO.NET. I find it to be one of the best books covering ADO.NET It also covers LINQ and how to access XML content, although in a less comprehensive way. Part III deals with building asp.net websites, using webforms. Part 4 deals with security and the contents can be leveraged even when developing MVC websites. Part 5 deals with more advanced user interface concepts (using GDI graphics, custom controls, javascript and ajax) and part 6 deals presents, albeit briefly, subjects such as ASP.NET MVC and Dynamic Data.

Overall it's a very good, well written book, excellent regarding web form related contents, that provides a good overview of ASP.NET website developement.

3.0 out of 5 stars Constant Flipping, 30 Mar. 2011
This is the first book I have bought electronically and read on a kindle, I also have the paperback version. In terms of content, I have found the books to be interesting and informative in terms of its content. I will let others comment more on that. My biggest issue with this book is with the coding samples or tables. These have been added to the kindle version as images, so that even if you increase the font size of the text on the kindle the text of the table and coding samples remains the same. And when the text (within the image) is already quite small the only choice you have is to use the 4-way and move the cursor over the image and click the centre button to zoom in on the image. This usually means that the image gets flipped from vertical to horizontal and to then have to flip the kindle on its side to read it. Even then the text is still very small and difficult to read. Why this could not have been implemented as text I don't kmow.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the kindle version, 20 Nov. 2011
I'm afraid this Kindle version does not work for me. The Index at the book doesn't work, it doesn't redirect you to the pages in the book. The examples seem to be images, and although I can see them OK (I'm using Kindle on the PC) they don't register in the search. I know that there must be a section in the book on DropDownLists, and the search find 22 matches, it's not possible to work out which section of the book I need to read to understand them. And impossible to find an example that uses it.

If you find that you normally use a book by looking in the index, (and that's how professionals will use it) ignore this book.

Pro ASP.NET 4 in C# 2010