on 4 February 2009
This book has proved incredibly helpful in solving both crosswords and quizzes. It is well laid out and covers a wide range of areas - such as geography, animals, people,arts, history, science etc as well as lists of words of 2 letters up to 15 letters, two word phrases, rhymes etc. I find it so interesting I sometimes find myself just reading the book and forgetting to do my crossword! I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys completing quizzes and crosswords. I have not found its equal.
on 22 February 2011
I'm sure this is a fabulous book 'in the flesh' but on Kindle it is hopeless. There is no contents list and no index available so it is well nigh impossible to use as you cannot find what you are looking for. Whether this is a glitch I do not know. As far as I am concerned a total waste of money!
on 9 June 2009
The picture makes this book look like two, it acts as 2 just turn it over and they meet in the middle.
Really handy for those awkward crossword clues, had this book for years and it was so dogeared that I had to replace it.
So good I bought it twice!!
on 29 March 2009
What a find this book is. Surely no crossword fiend can afford to be without it. The first half contains a mine of information laid out such that it is eassy to find the information you want. The second half enables you to find the right word when you only have an odd letter or so to guide you. Now at last I can begin to tot up the number of crosswords I have completed.
on 8 April 2012
We have been using a version of this book since 1996/7. It was purchased in South Africa and proved to be very informative and useful in crossword solving. Regrettably it wore out recently and we purchased the updated version and it is much more comprehensive than the original. Definitely a great purchase and I will not wait so long before updating in future
on 7 November 2011
What a great book,thought it was 2 books,but it is just one big thick one!
Comprehensive listings of everything imaginable,plus loads of random stuff as well,such as words beginning with q without a U after it, and Z words. Actually very good for Scrabble enthusiasts.
Even if you are not into crossword solving,the half of the book concerned with lists is quite readable!
on 21 September 2010
It looks like two books but is really a very thick single volume.
Although the two volumes are available separately, they cost as much as or more than this combined volume, so the combined volume is good value for money.
When the binding breaks after a bit of use. I will buy the single volumes to replace it.
The crossword lists has subjects that are not covered in other books of lists. I have found the 'Two-word phrases' lists (first word known, then second word known) to be particularly useful.
on 28 August 2010
I dont have any real problem with the contents which are excellent. however (1) as a very chunky paper back it will come apart relatively soon.(2) the postage to Ireland practically doubled the cost to me.
on 22 August 2010
Definitely worth buying if you are a crossword fanatic. An excellent book pity it's not in two halves but you can't have everything,well worth the money.
on 2 January 2010
Really two books in one. I would prefer two separate books, easier to handle. Very exhaustive, rather small print.