5.0 out of 5 stars It just makes sense...
My wife's been a fan of Dr Briffa for a while and bought me this book as a polite way to remind me that I was getting a bit porky!

I've thought about tackling my weight/general health for a while but never really knew which way to turn.
Published on 5 April 2010 by rejory

3.0 out of 5 stars What he says makes sense, but hard to put into practice.
As a medical student I was keen to read Dr. Briffa's Waist Disposal, as I thought a doctor's view on weight loss would be quite credible and effective. I was also looking to shed a few inches of my waistline!

What's good about the book?
- Everything he says is factually consistent with academic studies.
- He explains the evolutionary basis for our...
Published on 20 Feb 2012 by Iso

5.0 out of 5 stars It just makes sense..., 5 April 2010

The great thing about this book is it cuts through all the c%*p and makes it really simple to understand what I've been doing and what I need to do to change.
His writing style is easy to follow, contains some great practical advice and is backed up by the science.
I read the book in a weekend and keep dipping back in for recipes and reminders.

I feel fitter and more energetic and reckon i've dropped a bit of weight already.. but I feel like it's a lifestyle change and not a diet - great!!

Highly recommended...

5.0 out of 5 stars Throw away whatever you've previously read, take notice of this book, 6 April 2010
Mr. G. Mead "Greg" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I was lucky enough to have been asked to take part in the practical trial prior to publication of this book.

I am please to state that for me, waist disposal definately works and by following the principals outlined in the book, it will work for anyone.

Throw away what you've previously read or have been told. It's not all about the calories, but it's the type of calorie. It's about understanding how the human body has evolved, what we are geared-up to eat and how our body works to process the foods we deliver to it.

This book backs up the theory with case note studies and an explanation of science that is comprehensible to the layman like me. The nutrional science is logical and after understanding how the body adapts to carbohydrate intake, you can understand why you are the shape that you are and importantly, what you can do to change that shape.

It's easy to follow the principals outlined in this book. I changed my gym programme, walked a little further than before and looked more closely at the type of food I took on board. I have changed my lifestyle, cut back on certain foods as recommended and followed a different path from the traditional calorie controlled diet which never produced the promised goal. The results came noticeably quickly, inches off of my waist line, as the theory turns in practice.

As a result of this book I am more aware of the effect that different food groups has on my body and I have the power to control my shape in a positive way.

I suggest that you start with an open mind, disregard all previous diets and embrace the theory's championed in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it says on the cover. Buy this book., 1 April 2010
Big Pete (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
Being a little on the larger size I have tried to lose an inch or two from around the waist over the past few years. I always end up feeling starving hungry and my weight doesn't change much (if anything it goes up as I get more fed up with low cal / low fat food). This book explains why exercise (alone) doesn't help and how to eat well and lose fat. It is well written and has good multi source references to back up the science which is easy to understand.
I followed the book and have lost about a stone in weight and more importantly do not feel hungry.
If you are someone who always feels hungry on a diet, read this book. It will explain why, and will tell you what to do to stop it happening without being evangelical.

4.0 out of 5 stars A non-Evangelical Atkins, 19 Jan 2011
Mr. C. Morris "Watchman" (London) - See all my reviews
I picked up this book after spending about two months in the gym dedicated to a training program devised to help me lost half a stone (3kg) from 12 and a half stone (80kg). I'm only 5' 8". This involved alternating between 12.5 and 14km/hr on the running machine, one minute each, for 20 minutes, also heavy weights, etc. After two months I hadn't lost one pound. Nada. Oh, sure, some of the fat would have been converted to muscle, and I may have been more toned, but I certainly didn't get to 'look good naked' as Robbie sings in Bodies. It wasn't enough for the expense and effort entailed.

This book explains why. Put simply, going to the gym only builds an appetite while most weight loss comes from changing what you eat. Even the idea that muscle helps metabolise fat is given short shrift. So this book makes you feel rosy about where you may have recently failed in the past, the same goes if you've been stringently following a calorie control diet - Biffa knocks that into a cocked hat too.

Otherwise, yes, this is mostly the Atkins again, as it's a high-meat low carbs diet with plenty of fat. I think it works. It's not as intense as Atkins - Briffa doesn't urge you to undergo ketosis but then again he doesn't warn you off it either. This makes it easier to achieve than the Atkins, as you don't have that initial hurdle to surmount. He also advises against tinnned tuna, which explains why I found the Atkins took a while to get going with me, as that's all I ate for a week. Otherwise, pills to stop cravings, such as chronium, are advised here, as in the Atkins.

Generally I'd advise against pure Atkins. Too much protein can bring on tinnitus, at least it did for me, it's caused by a sort of run-down virus in the system that's hard to shift. The Atkins is a bit hard core, a bit extreme, so that's why I didn't keep with it indefinitely, so the weight crept back on.

There are other tips from Briffa that work: drink lots of green tea, chew your food a lot, do light exercise such as walking strenuously for 30 mins a day. Avoid fizzy drinks, it gets sugar into your system faster than food, and plays havoc with your insulin levels. Rice or oats (porridge) are healthy but not nutritional and won't help you lose weight.

On the other hand, this is also coincidentally very much like the Blood Type diet, if you're Blood Type O. With the difference that I feel some of the excess dairy Briffa recommends might be best avoided, and I'm not sure that all nuts are too good either - lose the Brazils in my case, stick to the walnuts. On the other hand, the cream in the coffee does satisfy without resorting to bad carbs, which can mess up your insulin levels.

Overall I very much recommend this book, and the recipes at the back are easy to achieve too, which makes success easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Change your life - read this book, 21 May 2010
R Gardner "Robin" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
I am 59 and have steadily been getting heavier and heavier. Previously I have become disheartened when trying to lose weight as I was making little progress despite giving up things I liked. I lacked a systematic approach (and the self-discipline that goes with it) and this book provides the framework for success. No preaching - though some forthright ideas. Good, sound, practical advice written in a very accessible style gets results. I have lost 2 stone and 2 inches off my waist since April. If you are serious about your health and want to take control of your diet, BUY THIS BOOK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Educated eating, 13 April 2010
I bought this book as I saw an extract from it in Esquire magazine. Dr Briffa's straight forward approach and excellent use of research make for a compelling read and some interesting findings.
Much of the book goes against what I thought was the correct way to eat, i.e lots of carbs, little fat etc so it takes a while to get around the mistrust you may have.
I think it is important to remember that this differs to regimes like the South Beach Diet because it encourages healthy eating and choices.
The book also teaches you that it's not about thinking about what you shouldn't eat but be positive about what you can. It's not a diet book, but educated eating guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not all calories are equal..., 30 July 2012
Mark Stipanovsky (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I love this book because it's written in a way that is really helpful.

In my first year as a "weight loss specialist" I personally worked with appx 10,000 people, ran 5 groups a day, and sometimes had a queue that went outside the door...

I also measured the weight loss for the year which was roughly 5 metric tonnes - give or take a couple of pounds...

One of the interesting things about weight loss is there is more than one way to do it. In fact there are quite a few ways and anyone who tells you "diets don't work" is sort of half right...

Diets are a short term measure for an ongoing issue - namely eating and drinking for survival...

You can survive healthily or unhealthily and this is where Dr John Briffa stands head and shoulders above your average "weight loss guru"...

Forget about weight loss and concentrate on fat loss - simple stuff that works...

Measurement instead of negative judgement is one of the keys to becoming fitter, stronger and healthier and this book goes a long way to explaining that maybe you're measuring the wrong thing...

Not all calories are equal - not all fruit and vegetables are equal - not all fat is equal and although I disagree slightly with John over "counting calories" because counting does work - I do feel it's not the easiest way to lose weight.

There are some fantastic pieces of information in this book and has some easy to follow principles such as the protein - fat - carb ratio that is more beneficial than than what most people currently eat.

I also love the exercise advice because I teach people to start with one minute of walking, one press up, a pull up and we go from there. Sometimes we need to re-learn how to move and that's ok because "daily" consistency will overcome "willpower" every time and John tells the truth when he explains how you can get fit and toned with just 12 minutes a day...

There's quite a bit of psychology sprinkled throughout because there are lots of things that have been researched that affect the way we eat, drink, move and the "placebo effect" is real...

Also, John being a doctor means his evidence based way of writing helps "make the knowledge" more robust rather than anecdotal.

Another thing that I really love about this book is pages 229-231 where John summarises his "Weight Disposal" and this is a really helpful aide memoir to keep the knowledge refreshed and salient...

One of the things that people seem to forget is weight loss - and especially fat loss - is a chemical process - and that fat doesn't make you fat - hence my emphasis on learning about the difference in calories...

Lastly, I want to mention another wonderful bit of advice - concentrate on good food that you enjoy - it's a lot easier to stick to long term because you relearn how to eat by making "food your friend"...

A great book that I enjoy advising people to go and buy - along with a couple of others - so you can find the common themes:
Water
Walking
Food journal
Good fats instead of low/ no fat
Exercise
Psychology stuff that helpful

Yep, it's all here and in a enjoyable and entertaining and informative package - so my advice - if you choose to take it - is buy this book and become fitter, stronger and healthier...

5.0 out of 5 stars A fat bloke writes..., 11 April 2010
Of course, they all make sense don't they? Diet books, selling a lifestyle. And they all let you down, and have the ultimate recourse- you didn't stick to the dust and lettuce followed by 10k every day, did you? But for the middle aged bloke with a propensity to put on lard around the middle, Briffa talks and writes for real. His tack is to honour your body's design, by eating things which pass a simple evolutionary test: "Could this have grown in your garden, or run around in it?" It's accessible, the reader can hear the man speak through the words and mean it. I have to fess up to the fact that I don't trust the pompous, I don't trust glitz, and I don't trust the deadly earnest. So plain english with a sense of humour and passion works for me. Nice one Dr John.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective diet - allows chocolate, 3 Mar 2012
Reading this book will challenge you to stop believing two 'known facts' about diet and weight. One, that 'a calorie is a calorie' - it's only the energy content of food that matters for weight-management purposes. The other, that all you need to know to lose weight is 'move move, eat less'. These two ideas make good sense on the face of it, but they don't properly speaking APPLY to men with metabolic syndrome (also called Reaven's syndrome), which is most men with a big belly. The key feature of metabolic syndrome is insulin resistance: the body does not metabolise carbohydrates effectively, and the high level of circulating insulin prevents the use of stored fat: it guarantees you will find it hard to burn that fat off.

If you have metabolic syndrome you need to reduce the amount of high-availability carbohydrate in your diet, notably sugar, white flour and potatoes. Protein, as Dr Briffa explains, is in any case more filling. So, a calorie isn't a calorie. Second, while you suffer from metabolic syndrome and eat carbohydrates, your energy level and appetite is going to be influenced by your body's fat-storage needs. It's not your weakness of will causing you to stay fat, it's the body's wish to stay fat weakening your will.

This advice to cut carbs goes against official medical advice, but there is a great deal of scientific evidence supporting it. I have noticed that it very much offends some people - looking at reader comments following articles about obesity in newspaper websites there are always posters claiming it is easy to lose weight. Some people seem to find comfort in claiming that being overweight is a moral failing.

Dr Briffa talks the reader through the reasons they have got fat, and what can be done about it, but is refreshingly far from absolutist. Chocolate is clearly a bad idea, but as he says (pages 92-93) dark chocolate is clearly the sweet treat of choice. I like this approach because the usefulness of a diet does not lie in its capacity to get weight off but its capacity to keep it off.

The Briffa method has worked well for me: after 24 weeks I have lost 27 kilos and eight inches round the gut. It is not just the change in diet: I bought the book shortly after embarking on a diet of my own devising called 'run 50 miles a week', as a backup, in case I got injured.

Bottom line: a well-written book that offers practical and non-obvious advice about losing weight. Key difference between Dr Briffa' advice and the mainstream low fat recommendation - Dr Briffa's advice works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moobs over darling, 19 April 2010
C. F. Munson (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
I've long been a fan of John's work, but this latest offering - aimed at man boobs and beer guts - has helped me put his myth-busting, down-to-earth, common sense approach into practice.

Sure I've had my inklings confirmed by this doctor's writing in the past (esp. True You Diet); out with carbs, butter's okay, and I'll not be eschewing meat thanks to superstitious belief and food industry propaganda. But a couple of weeks into a yoghurt and fruit/nut breakfast, for example, and I can actually feel a difference. I'm staggered by what such a simple change can effect - no mood-swings before lunch, reduced cravings and a tangible tautness around chest and belly.

John seems unique in his ability to blend the perennial physical principles of dietary and lifestyle change with a sprinkling of metaphysics that can produce real results. A great hybrid of timeless health philosophy with a clear evidence-based understanding of physiology.