Format: Audio CD|Change

I agree with the reviews that rave about Etta's album "At Last". This new CD from UK label Delta Xtra has the LP amd much more with a total of 25 songs and approx 70 minutes of vocals. Here we have 2 1961 albums "At Last!" and "The Second Time Around" both originally recorded for the Argo label plus her first ever single and some duets with Harvey Fuqua. This one has full liner notes and very good transfer quality. Another quality release on the Xtra label and at a price you will appreciate. Aimed at the collector because of its content and the rarity of some items.
on 25 June 2011
Great. Etta at her very best. At last is the studio version and really great, not a bad track on the album.
Don
on 27 September 2011
Some of Etta's better tracks. Recording a bit patchy in places but still enjoyable.
For the price a good introduction to Etta James.
on 24 February 2014
Etta James must have been the nearest thing to Aretha Franklin. From Los Angeles, Etta died, aged 74, in 2012
Her mother was 14 when she had Etta; from an unidentified husband. Etta had her only number one at age 15 and was dating BB King by the following year. She battled drugs all her life.
She made 39 albums and over 50 singles, she also won 6 Grammy awards.
There are 25 tracks on this album covering a period of 40 years. She had such a powerful and distinctive voice. There are a couple of duets on here with Harry Fuqua, which were both hits in America - this is not mentioned on the rather limited album enclosure.
I have to say that I prefer Etta's `oomph' to both Billie Holiday's and Ella Fitzgerald's style, which is much more contained. There's lots of great songs on here. I was a little underwhelmed by her version of 'Loving Arms' but really enjoyed her version of 'Light My Fire.'
I also liked the big band backing, with plenty of brass, saxophone solos, crisp drumming and blues & jazz guitar - it comes across as almost 'live' in places.'
on 25 October 2012
Ok, I never really bought any Etta James Records in the past, and only really remember Her for three songs. However, with the use of 'At Last' on a recent TV Add, I just had to have that track. Finding an Album on Amazon actually called 'At Last', prompted me to buy it, and I'm so glad that I did. Etta was surely one of the true greats in Music, with a wonderful style and performance that is such a pleasure to hear. It took me a long long time to buy Her Music, and this Album is a great choice, AT LAST!
on 13 December 2012
Stunning singer, and a great choice of songs, all the best Etta James classics, including At Last, i just want to make Love to you and more!
on 8 January 2015
Superb. Etta James's cd covers a wide range of music styles over her career and it is her voice that is lovely powerful and sincerely emotional. The recording and mastering of the tracks are good. If your hi-fis good enough do you spot the sound booth leakage? on I just want to make love to you? The sax on that track is great and the band really goes for it throughout. 'Fool that I am' is fantastic with an emotional rendition that grabs you by the heart if you've ever loved anyone...
It's all good.
on 8 December 2012
There are lots of fabulous tracks on this CD and I wish I'd bought her music long ago, still, better late than never. You'll be pleased you bought this as it's just quality! Such a versatile singer.
on 26 April 2015
I purchased this CD as a gift, the feed back was "Amazing - Etta definitely the Best". I understand the CD is a wonderful collection of her hits as well as a few less well known, which have been enjoyed repeatedly. From my point of view the CD was a great idea for someone, who has a broad range of music tastes, great value for money. The CD arrived next day and in recyclable packaging.
on 6 January 2016
Lovely compilation. All the great hits are there with many more lovely songs.
This is great for both people who are already fans, but also for those who would like a introduction into the great classic ladies of jazz and blues.