5.0 out of 5 stars Essential For Any Seal Fan
Published on 4 Oct. 2010 by rulz-of-benjitzu

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't get fooled again...
Well, you've heard this before but sadly it bears repeating. Seal,2 and Human Being were superb - especially Human Being, easily in my top ten CDs of all time. Unfortunately, it seems Mr Seal decided to change course after the commercial failure of this CD (in a way, who can blame him?)4 was OK,but very much like a curate's egg - good in parts, not so good in others...
Published on 9 Oct. 2010 by Jimbo1234

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential For Any Seal Fan, 4 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Seal 6: Commitment (Audio CD)
I don't want to focus on the one or two star reviews given so far, other than to say that those reviewers clearly haven't been listening to the same album I have. In an industry that's become inundated with commercial, manufactured pop acts, Seal truly is like a breath of fresh air, even nearly twenty years after his 1991 debut. Seal has always been the kind of artist who can commit himself to any kind of music (and make it sound good), but clearly that isn't the reason for this album's title.

He's older now, perhaps a little bit wiser and far more settled in his personal life. Hence songs like Best Of Me and Letting Go reference both his relationship with Heidi and their four children. It's an emotive, uplifting, personal nod to 2008's Soul - an album which despite containing old-fashioned material (it was a covers album), elevated Seal back into the music buying public's consciousness. And Commitment does much the same, except to say that lyrically and vocally Seal sounds better than ever.

He's helped along a great deal by David Foster's exquisite production sensibilities. As such, anyone expecting the tried and tested formula of generic (read boring) pop music won't find it here. There's no guest appearances, no duets and no apologies, Seal obviously knows he doesn't need cheap gimmicks in order to sell records and is secure enough in his own vocal range to not need them.

Admittedly on my first listen only two songs really stood out to me (those being Silence and Secret), it takes several playthroughs before you can fully appreciate the quality of what you're hearing. Even two of my friends (who aren't big Seal fans) think this is an 'amazing' and 'really good' album. That says a lot for Seal's enduring (and widespread) appeal.

Lyrically, this is a reflective album, but one which manages to escape the usual cliches associated with songs about relationships. The Way I Lie is about being in a relationship when one person wants to hold onto something that isn't working and the other doesn't have the heart to end things. It's a beautiful, reflective song about what might have been, about love and ultimately loss. In direct contrast Big Time has more in common with Empire State (Alicia Keys). It has a big beat, a big chorus and fantastic orchestral/string arrangement.

In closing, I'm not the kind of reviewer to go through rating every song (I think they're all great anyway), but I really can not recommend this album highly enough. In my opinion it's quite possibly Seal's best album to date and that should be recommendation enough for any Seal fan to go out and buy it straight away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seal at his very best., 21 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Seal 6: Commitment (Audio CD)
Forget the poor reviews on here- they must have been listening to a different album.
I have been a fan of 20 years- and I have to say this is Seal at his very best.
There is not one bad on this album. Every track is an epic in it's own right.

I know what you did, You get me and Best of Me stand out personally.

The last two albums didn't do much for me- this takes him back to his Very best and beyond.
Outstanding album- a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars SEAL 6 "Commitment" A Masterpiece!!, 7 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Seal 6: Commitment (Audio CD)
I run a unofficial fan site and had the privilege of receiving a watermarked copy of Commitment by Seal's manager.

Seal is sounding better than ever, every song on the album is a potential hit & David Foster has out done himself with production of this album. I believe that he has done for Seal what Trevor Horn did for him some 20 years back, make an album that could have only been made and sung by one man and one man only..... SEAL

Everything about it feels epic, It is one of those rare albums that when you play the first track you know that you are in for a treat! When I listen to the album I keep thinking to myself every song is sheer brilliance!! By then end of the album all I feel like doing is listening to it again, again & then again.

All I can say is you are all in for a treat of a life time!!

I have followed SEAL for nearly 20 years now, and just when I thought he has shown us everything he can do, He brings us his quintessential SEAL album...

SEAL 6 "Commitment"

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Samuel's Very Best Work, 20 Sept. 2010
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seal 6: Commitment (Audio CD)
My first encounter with Mr Samuel took place in a club of fairly
low repute in Toulouse in 1991; the sort of place frequented by
nocturnal creatures whose natural bent leads them to seek solace
in the shadows. The music video of 'Crazy' I witnessed there was
a revelation! The statuesque, wild-haired, leather-clad young man
was a new kind of artist and a breath of fresh air to help blow
the cobwebs enveloping the previous decade back into oblivion.
The song had a primal, essential, energy which is still as fresh
as a daisy nearly twenty years on.

Since then Mr Samuel's career has inevitably had some ups and
downs. (It took me a while to recover from the pseudo-medieval
fairy tale shenanigans of 1994's 'Kiss From A Rose'!)

His last album, 2008's 'Soul', was a credible and creditable
excursion into classic soul territory. This man really can sing!

His new album 'Commitment' retains all the hallmarks of his
distinctive vocal style. The voice : husky, still powerful but
distilled by the passing years into an instrument capable of
expressing a wide range of light and shade and subtle emotion.

There are eleven songs in the set and they are all very good.
David Foster's masterful production brings enormous richness to
the arrangements. The epic ballad 'Silence', for example, may well
be one of the finest performances of Mr Samuel's career so-far.
It is a truly beautiful composition, sung from the heart and
destined to warm many more. It made an Old Wolf go all moist-eyed
and shivery! (I know, I know, I can be a bit soppy sometimes!)

The gorgeous 'I Know What You Did' comes a very close second.
When the last note falls away into nothingness we are left with the
echoes of someone else's doubt and pain still ringing in our ears.

'Weight Of My Mistakes' starts quietly with the breathy vocal coaxing
the fragile melody to life before the big, jazzy, swinging beat kicks in.
A song to snap your fingers to (I have some difficulty with this
but doubtless those of you without claws will have far less trouble!)

In a largely slow to mid-paced collection there is more than a little
room for our hero to shine and shine he does. The album leaves me
certain that this consummate performer is still a force to be reckoned with.

Highly Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid sixth album, 24 July 2011
Amillionmiles (Hove, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seal 6: Commitment (Audio CD)
Seal has always been one of my favorite male singers. He has an amazing powerful soulful voice with a gravelly tone and a knack for writing very memorable mature pop songs. This album is no exception where Seal blends funky upbeat pop songs and pop rock ballads.

The album starts off with two strong uptempo pop tunes "If I'm Any Closer" and "Weight Of My Mistakes", followed by "Silence", a smoothly written ballad. Then comes one of the hightlights of the album, a catchy pop R&B track called "Best Of Me". The album does dip in quality towards the middle with the next three tracks "All For Love", "I Know What You Did" and "The Way You Lie" which are a little bland. But it picks up with the beautiful ballad "You Belong To Me" and the second highlight of this release "You Get Me", another ballad with a lovely string arrangement. "Letting Go" is another example of storytelling at its best with a great rock influenced chorus. The album closes with "Big Time", another strong pop anthem.

One of the main qualities in this album is that it has interesting melodies and modifications within songs, which makes it less predictable than his previous work on "System". A great album after 20 years in the business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seal supera el pequeño bache sufrido con Soul, 17 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Seal 6: Commitment (Audio CD)
Todos sabemos que Seal es un musico excelente, con una discografia muy completa a sus espaldas, discos que siempre han mantenido un minimo de calidad, minimo siempre presente excepto en su anterior trabajo llamado Soul. Se puede decir que Soul fue como el Hard Candy de Madonna , un disco con muchas expectativas que luego se quedo en el olvido para siempre, y merecidamente, ya que ambos trabajos, Soul y Hard Candy son pesimos.

Pero en este nuevo album llamado Commitment, Seal ha conseguido reinventarse a si mismo, igual que hizo Prince con su increible y exitoso album Sign O' The Times. Este album de Seal goza de una frescura que muy pocos albumes actuales tienen, y se hace un album sencillo y nada cansino de escuchar, ya que tampoco es excesivamente largo, dura unos 45 minutos aproximadamente. La produccion del album por parte de David Foster, aclamaado productor internacional, se hace notar, ya que el montaje y la grabacion son excepcionales.

Por lo tanto un disco que recomiendo encarecidamente, ya que Seal parece que por fin consigue despegar despues de unos años en el olvido.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sealed with a Kiss, 15 Sept. 2010
Special K (Philadelphia PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seal 6: Commitment (Audio CD)
It is hard for me listen to Seal and not be stirred in some way. He may very well be the only dude who can make me cry ;) I have to say that the first 3 Seal albums for me were nothing short of brilliant. Trevor Horn, in my humble opinion, is really what made Seal and his unique sound, well...uniquely Seal's. Since then his work has seemed a bit disjointed for me, still great but not quite as cohesive between the lyrics and the music and the general flow of the album. I have heard several cuts off the Commitment album and it seems that Seal is back on track. No doubt influenced by his charmed life (and yes I mean Heidi ;) I really was struck by the subtle euro-funk of When I lie, and the epic show tune quality Weight of My Mistakes thus far and am eager to hear the rest of the album. The best thing about the first 3 Seal albums for me was the less is more approach and despite the grand production this album is likely to have at the hands of Foster it sounds like it has struck a good middle ground. With all of that said I don't know if this will make you a Seal fan but you may never hear a voice and orchestration as unique as this and that in of itself is worth investing in this album.

Special- K

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally hooked on Seal, 11 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Seal 6: Commitment (Audio CD)
I don't know why I've never purchased any Seal CDs until recently. I loved Seal "Soul" and then decided to purchase "Commitment".

Now I can't stop playing this CD - no matter what my mood is it seems to uplift me. And on the strength of this album I have just purchased five of his previous ones which I think says it all.

The song "Secret" is so beautiful, and if you like it you must go to either YouTube or Seal's own website to view the video of this track. Now I am just waiting to see if Seal's forthcoming tour takes in the UK - let's hope so.

Buy this album and enjoy - the production, the oh so distinctive voice and the wonderful and inspiring lyrics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 7 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Seal 6: Commitment (Audio CD)
I never usually buy a CD on the basis of one single but my husband had heard the song Secret and kept singing it. He asked me to get the album. I was pleasantly surprised as I had not really heard anything of Seals later stuff but this album is a nice easy listening one. My husband has it in his van and plays it most of the time and it makes a good choice for a relaxing unwind on a Sunday afternoon. As soon as you hear him sing, you are transported back in time as his voice has changed so little over the years. Really good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album i've heard this year !, 27 Sept. 2010
Mr. R. Haden "hdrob9" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seal 6: Commitment (Audio CD)
This is the best album i've heard this year, and without doubt Seal's best album to date. 44 minutes and thirty five seconds of sheer beauty !

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›