on 20 May 2011
I bought this and am now through to house 2 out of 3.
I'm 12 and think this is a good buy.
I like the size and the mini-figure is cool too.
The last lego creator house I got had very hard instructions but the instructions in this have been great so far!
The houses look very detailed and is a good lego product...I think.
At 355 pieces, this set is actually better value than the images would suggest as it packs in so much detail within a small space. This is always the ratio to remember with Lego pricing - it's the quantity and size of the components themselves, not the scale of the final product. As such, the Log Cabin is good bang for the buck and makes an attractive gift option.

The main features of the showcase (Expert) Log Cabin model include a plain minifigure, a removable roof, a hinged back wall that allows more discreet access inside the cabin, a lovely fireplace, a little canoe for the minifigure to ride, a tall tree on its plate and a barbecue on the go... Looks tasty!

Unlike 'City' or other product lines that rely on specialised moulds for a design solution, the Creator range makes use of legacy components in order to build up detail and function. So, although the scale of the model would suggest it could have used less bricks, the final build is a much more satisfying (and classic) approach to model making. Many Lego fans appreciate this if they're somewhat overwhelmed or demoralised by the countless licensed sets out there.

This is apparent throughout the Log Cabin's design - the little canoe/boat has a very interesting build that is, in direct contrast to a 'City' approach, focused on clever techniques, rather a single mould. The roof of the cabin is a separate build, and is done so very much like a real life building (it can also be lifted off easily). Even the tree, which stands on its own small plate, is built from an array of nice components. It helps younger builders to think more about what they're doing, and to not just expect the solutions in favour of speed.

The Log Cabin has a really pleasing and almost sweet design from the outside; it just seems like the perfect retreat. I love the overlapping logs on the corners of the building, which suggests the roughness of the build. One of the best features of the product is actually the colours of the components - they're beautifully vibrant. It reminds me of many forest/nature sets from the 1990's.

Yet while the appearance is almost impossible to fault, the inside of the Log Cabin is a different story. I perfectly understand that the focus of the product is building techniques and design, but I'm surprised that the designers chose not to include any furniture. Not only would this have enhanced the playability of the product, but I feel it would make the inclusion of the minifigure a bit more justified, because all he can really do is go for walks and ride his canoe. Perhaps it came down to cost goals and space saving.

Another thing I am surprised at is that a Light Brick wasn't included for the fire place. This would have made an excellent addition to the interior and thus create some sort of cosy light source, but again, it's absence can understandably be put down to space saving and use within the other two designs.

Finally, I note that one reviewer mentioned the lack of a window pane in the upper frame of the Log Cabin. The reason for this I would have thought is fairly obvious; it's a log cabin, and made from materials that can be found in the forest. Anglian Glazing is a bit too far to walk to!

The other two models that can be built in this product are a bit weak for a Creator set, so I don't feel they deserve much attention. They are nice easy builds, but I imagine even a child would find them a bit boring. I'm wouldn't allow this to detract from the value of the product though, because the Log Cabin itself is something you wouldn't want to break up.

In short, the Log Cabin may not be the most complete addition to the Creator series, but I think it has bundles of playability and a wonderful exterior design to go with it (plus, it's up against some stiff competition with the likes of the 'Lighthouse' and the 'Seaside House'. Older children and adults will most certainly want to purchase this purely as a showpiece, and younger children will enjoy having this as a contrast to existing City products. It's classic Lego, and I love it to bits!
on 28 April 2011
My grandsons are "Lego mad" 12 and 9 year olds. They have made a "city" under Dad's pool table. They are buying additions all the time, and the log cabin started a whole new project...................CCreator !!!!!
on 21 January 2013
I confess that I bought this for myself for my 33rd birthday!! I have spent many a happy hour building all three versions of the cabin, and I never get bored of it!
This is a great set for Lego lovers of all ages!!!!
on 31 March 2011
A good set from Lego, although physically it only makes a small cabin, you can make 3 different versions and there are some interesting and different Lego pieces for all those who enjoy such things.
on 5 December 2011
brought for my daughter, this is the third lego house we now have, and the beauty of these products is that she can change them when she gets bored, and makes them into another brilliant house. worth every single penny, and we are looking forward to building the next one at christmas.
on 1 November 2011
We were wanting to take our 4yr old son to the next level in toys. I know that it states on the box 7-12yr olds.
However, our son, we feel is quite advanced for duplo. When he saw that he could build a country house and also make 2 other cabins with it, he was DELIGHTED. Obviously he wasn't able to build it himself, so I had fun building it and the other 2 designs over and over again.
Once it's built, my son plays with it for hours. Now, he would like more lego houses/sets to add to it.
Great toy.
Great fun.
on 28 June 2012
This is a very good Lego product, mainly due to the fact you can choose which of the 3 house styles you want to build but also because I got it at the price of £20 from Amazon, with most other toy shops(in store and online)selling it for £24.99. When built, the rear wall to the main, larger house swings outwards so that Children can play with their figures inside. I can't comment on the building of houses 2+3 because house 1 will be remaining built for a while yet. My children are aged 6 + 9 and had no problems building it together.
on 15 February 2012
Another cool present from an auntie (me) to a niece! it was a Christmas present this time and she rushed up to me and exclaimed, "you've hit the nail on the head. That's the one I wanted". It's amazing how from 400 miles away auntie H can choose the right gift every time. Well my niece loved it, so I give a good recommendation.

Lego has been around since I was young, it's educational, fun and brings out your imagination............. which is always a good thing, in my view.
on 21 September 2011
Having not played with lego myself for a long time and my niece and nephew have just discovered it we decided to buy this because it looked so good. three houses in one! Great idea but soooo overpriced! The one that opens out looks a bit more like a garden shed than a log cabin! I was disappointed that the door seems flimsier than what the old ones are like and the little window has no glass! It's ok but to be honest I wish I'd spent the money on some basic bricks. We had more fun making a rainbow house using all of a complete baseplate and adding a swimming pool on to a roof garden due to our lack of roofing tiles! (now have plenty from the cabin!) This is great with the hinged bricks enabling it to open up though, might see if I can find some more of those online!