5.0 out of 5 stars A Compressed Pet Shop Boys Journey
Published on 1 Nov 2010 by Mr. D. J. O'brien

3.0 out of 5 stars was it worth it .... hmmmm
well just a selection of top-singles .... again ... plus just one new track ... nice as 3rd best of for the car
Published on 1 Dec 2010 by M. Woischneck

5.0 out of 5 stars A Compressed Pet Shop Boys Journey, 1 Nov 2010
This review is from: Ultimate (Audio CD)
It's been questioned why the Pet Shop Boys have released another compilation album and it is to celebrate 25 years since the release of West End Girls. Their previous compilation Pop Art - had nearly everything (except for Was It Worth It? - which I think personally was!) and after a further two albums of brilliant music we have another one - but with an impossible task. To cram the 'best' of their singles on one CD. Of course there will be ones missing for die hard fans (where is Opportunities, Can You Forgive Her?, So Hard) - but it's difficult to cram so much on one CD.
So who is this CD for? The idea is - it is catered for the casual listener. And if you just want ONE Pet Shop Boys CD - then this is it. Because it is crammed - with every single song a total winner. The best of the best! And it is still seeping out some missing classics - that is how good they consistantly are. And the new song 'Together' is another golden nugget!
So it is worth getting - if you haven't got any Pet Shop Boys CDS and just want one. But for the fan - there is nothing new here (except the new single which is out on 29th November anyway) - but that is why they have compiled a special edition with a fantastic DVD crammed full of TV performances - which is certainly worth the cover price alone) - so if you were there at Glastonbury - and loved the show - get the CD - because THIS IS IT!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate track listing, 1 Nov 2010
SpecialOrder937 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ultimate (CD+DVD) (Audio CD)
For some reason the track listing here is wrong. The CD contains 19 tracks, not 18 ("Heart" has been omitted). The "PSB BBC DVD" contains the complete 2010 Glastonbury Festival performance +:

1. West End Girls (Top of the Pops 15.12.85)
2. Love Comes Quickly (Top of the Pops 20.03.86)
3. Opportunities (Let's Make Lots Of Money) (The Old Grey Whistle Test 29.04.86)
4. Suburbia (Top of the Pops 02.10.86)
5. It's A Sin (Top of the Pops 25.06.87)
6. Rent (Top of the Pops 22.10.87)
7. Always On My Mind (Top of the Pops 10.12.87)
8. What Have I Done To Deserve This? (The Brit Awards 08.02.88)
9. Heart (Wogan 30.03.88)
10. Domino Dancing (Top of the Pops 22.09.88)
11. Left To My Own Devices (Top of the Pops 01.12.88)
12. So Hard (Wogan 28.09.90)
13. Being Boring (Top of the Pops 29.11.90)
14. Can You Forgive Her? (Top of the Pops 10.06.93)
15. Liberation (Top of the Pops 07.04.94)
16. Paninaro '95 (Top of the Pops 03.08.95)
17. Se A Vida É (That's The Way Life Is) (Top of the Pops 2 02.12.03)
18. A Red Letter Day (Top of the Pops 28.03.97)
19. Somewhere (Top of the Pops 04.07.97)
20. I Don't Know What You Want But I Can't Give It Any More (Top of the Pops 30.09.99)
21. New York City Boy (Top of the Pops 08.10.99)
22. You Only Tell Me You Love Me When You're Drunk (Top of the Pops 14.01.00)
23. Home And Dry (Top of the Pops 29.03.02)
24. I Get Along (Top of the Pops 2 17.04.02)
25. Miracles (Top of the Pops 14.11.03)
26. Flamboyant (Top of the Pops 19.03.04)
27. I'm With Stupid (Top of the Pops 23.04.06)

The CD is a sample of the Pet Shop Boys' singles - some great, well-known ones are missing, such as "Opportunities (Let's Make Lots Of Money)", "Rent" and "So Hard" for example - rather than an "Ultimate" collection. The DVD, however, is an absolute treat for any PSB fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a New Fan Like Me!!, 4 Nov 2010
D. P. Bostock "Emo_Molko" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate (CD+DVD) (Audio CD)
Okay, I'm very new to Pet Shop Boys, so I will explain why I think this new release is perfect for new fans. I was obviously aware of hits such as West End Girl, It's a Sin, What Have I Done to Deserve This, Go West and Love etc, but other than these songs I had not heard much by the band. I saw the video for Domino Dancing on a music channel during the summer and I instantly fell in love with the song, leading me to buy PopArt, and as much as I loved the fact the album had 2 discs crammed with hits, I was very confused by the structure of the track listing, I would mainly only play Domino Dancing, Before and New York City Boy because there was a lot of music to get through (don't get me wrong, I love bands with a vast back catalog, hence my desire to discover them).
I soon discovered that this album was being released so I compiled the track listing in a playlist on iTunes and gave it a listen, I thought the album flowed very well, and I enjoyed listening to the songs in chronological order, in a more condensed manner, songs are now popping out as new favourite tracks. I am currently obsessed with Heart (especially the version on this release), Home and Dry, and the new amazing single Together.
I bought the deluxe version because I knew I'd regret it if I didn't. I'm not a casual music listener, I'm a huge music fan! I like to get really deep into a bands discography, so the DVD will be great to watch! When I'm done with this album I'll move on to PopArt and then their studio albums, and then everything else.
So overall, I am really happy with this release, it is perfect for new fans... I can understand any frustration from fans who already have all their albums and previous singles collections, but I've read many reviews saying the DVD is a great feature so the release should satisfy everybody really.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately unnecessary, 21 Nov 2010
This review is from: Ultimate (CD+DVD) (Audio CD)
I know EMI are in financial meltdown but if they must milk a cash cow like the Pet Shop Boys one more time they could've put more thought into it. "Ultimate Pet Shop Boys"? How can it be when it misses off eight of the band's top ten hits (eg, "Rent", "Opportunities", "So Hard", and unforgivably "Can You Forgive Her") in favour of much less successful singles such as "Home and Dry" and "Being Boring"? It's perverse. With the earlier compilation "PopArt" still on sale at half the price anyone with a casual interest in the group would be daft not to buy that (and its video collection) instead of this as "PopArt" has twice as many singles on it. Any Pet Shop Boys singles collection should automatically merit 5 stars; it's a poor reflection on EMI's sloppy compiling that this is getting less than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing DVD, 22 Nov 2010
A. Stevenson "nrp01als" (hereford, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate (CD+DVD) (Audio CD)
The second disc is worth double the entry price because it contains the amazing Glastonbury version of the Pandemonium show. Matchlessly capturing the happiness of both the Pet Shop Boys and their audience, it powefully demonstrates why everyone regards the performance as not just a high for the band but also a magical moment in the history of Glastonbury.

On the same disc are nearly forty BBC appearances by the Pet Shop Boys taken from Top of the Pops, Wogan, The Old Grey Whistle test and other TV archives. Each track is a treat. However familiar the title, these forgotten versions dish out fresh evidence of the band's consistent originality.

Ultimate is pointless as a CD, repeating the same mixes of the same tracks already released on other Pet Shop Boys compilations. But as a DVD it is a spectacular and emotional treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jubilant and Straightforward, 21 July 2012
This review is from: Ultimate (Audio CD)
"Ultimate Pet Shop Boys" by the Pet Shop Boys is a fascinating organized set highlighting some of the hits that represent their sound. My two personal favorites from this compilation are "Miracles" and "Together". At the time of this writing, I have not yet seen the "Miracles" video but intend to do so. However, I have seen the "Together" video and feel that it fits perfectly with the song. "West End Girls","It's A Sin", "What Have I Done to Deserve This", "Always On My Mind", "Heart", "Se A Vida E (That's The Way Life Is)" and "Love Etc" are some of the catchy musical tracks on this cd. "Ultimate Pet Shop Boys" by the Pet Shop Boys is a great selection for those who enjoy electronica, synth pop, and/or candid love songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glastonbury legends!, 4 July 2012
This review is from: Ultimate (CD+DVD) (Audio CD)
Bought this for my hubby who wanted to have their Glastonbury set as a permanent record. Great CD of all The Pet Shop Boys classic songs but the Glastonbury DvD is just superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 7 April 2012
This review is from: Ultimate (Audio CD)
love it reminds me of when i was younger really good quality will have hours of listening i love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic pet shop boys, 29 Feb 2012
This review is from: Ultimate (CD+DVD) (Audio CD)
Whilst diehard PBS fans will already own the tracks found here,it really is worth the money just 4 the DVD
Which includes the Glastonbury show& lots of other videos that highlight the longevity of this fine band.the cd is great too,especially for new fans ,overall an excellent purchase

4.0 out of 5 stars A great trip down memory lane, 18 April 2011
Mr. Mark Andrews (Kent, U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate (MP3 Download)
Good album with a lot of songs we all forgot about; surprising how many songs we forgot these guys sang

Ultimate (CD+DVD)
Ultimate (CD+DVD) by Pet Shop Boys (Audio CD - 2010)