4.0 out of 5 stars Great thriller but shame about the formating
Published on 12 Nov. 2012 by Vet with a mission

3.0 out of 5 stars A good, quick read
A good, action book set in a part of the world most of us have never visited. A little predictable but enjoyable. As the title says, a good quick read.
Published on 28 Mar. 2013 by Timothy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great thriller but shame about the formating, 12 Nov. 2012
This review is from: 65 Below (Kindle Edition)
I really liked this book - The main story is about unusual activity in Alaska initially involving Albanians who have hijaked a truck after a major power cut. It leads on to involve North Koreans digging into an underground bunker to obtain chemical weapons and then the subsequent interrogation of suspects and high speed chases in temperatures down to 65 below. The main characters happen to speak Albanian and Korean fluently and although this might seem a bit far fetched, the way the author puts the different characters together and the details of the plot appear to show a good understanding of espionage and related issues, so it comes across realistically. There is a sub-plot woven between the chapters, so that some of the chapters are Marcus (the main character) in a former period of his life, where he almost dies before rescuing a whole group of people in Africa. This plot serves to give background to the character and his relationship with the other main character, but is a thriller in its own right as well. Once I got into this book I wanted to keep reading. Its definitely gripping, its well written with convincing detail. The only reason for not giving it 5 stars is I found the formatting frustrating. Everything is centre aligned, rather than the conventional left alignment - this meant that at the end of some sentences/paragraphs there would be a single word in the middle of the page. It comes with very small typeface so I had to enlarge it, which admitedly is easy to do on the kindle, but then every now and again some sentences would be in much larger typeface. There were also some other niggles with the formatting but overall I would recommend the book and if these things can be ironed out then it would be worthy of 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great first kindle read, 28 Nov. 2010
This review is from: 65 Below (Kindle Edition)
This was first read on my kindle. It was bought for Christmas and I opened the box when it arrived to make sure everything was OK. In the time it took to switch on, read the intro and the start of the manual 16 books had been downloaded. Impressive. I had selected mostly free classics to see how the kindle store worked before the kindle arrived. One of the ones I paid for before receiving the kindle, while 'just putting my toe in the water' on kindle store shopping, was 65 Below.

At 72 pence it is remarkable value. I hope the marketing strategy works. At that price I have put all the author's books on my wish list,after having checked out the rest of his books in the kindle store, because I thoroughly enjoyed 65 below. So the strategy might work.

Its a cracking good read. Its a great thriller with a nice use of flash back to keep you guessing how its gets worked into the plot. There are some colourful characters and great descriptions of Alaska. Well, I couldn't put the kindle back in the box straight away I had to finish 65 Below because its a such a ripping yarn.

I finished the book in 30 hours having tried reading in the living room, study, bedroom, outside at my German gliding club (my Dutch mate was intrigued by the kindle), bed with the bedside light on and then with just the light in the kindle cover.

The only downside of the book was a number of typos/wrong word usage (presumably due to spell checker use)and some technical errors which were mildly annoying. Is this normal for e-books because it does detract from the reading experience? However, it allowed me to experiment with the kindle highlighting function - now how do I get them to the author/publisher!

So thanks 65 Below for a great first kindle read and test run before I see the kindle again on Christmas day!

Definitely recommended as an easy first kindle read to get one into the kindle experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes your heart on an epic-thrill ride...and does NOT let go!, 16 May 2011
R. Wood "ryecroftwood2" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 65 Below (Kindle Edition)
65 Below is one of the greatest discoveries that I found on the internet. It introduced me to a whole new realm of writing; podcast novels. Talented writers writing and narrating online audiobooks as a means of promoting themselves and their talents. 65 Below was the first of these I encountered, and it was one of the most thrilling and intelligent pieces of fiction I'd ever been exposed to.

And now 65 Below has been reborn, from audiobook to e-book. And whatever the format, the story remains a rollercoaster of a tale, complete with twists and turns that make for one of the best internet finds any fiction lover can sink their teeth into.

The author, Basil Sands, has really composed a marvellous setting and an exhilarating plot. Terrorists uncovering a biological weapon in an underground bunker in Alaska, with Marines trying to stop them as temperatures plummet to sixty-five below zero...GREAT premise. But as extreme is it may sound, the whole story is presented so plausibly. Due to his own real-life experiences and background, Sands displays a genuine understanding and respect for so many different cultures, laws, nationalities, weaponry, organisations and espionage in general. And it's because of his wealth of knowledge and his intelligent, engaging writing style that allows the story to succeed.

Characters (such as main protagonists Marcus Johnson and Lonnie Wyatt) are given wonderfully-deep backgrounds, fascinating sub-plots are handled with care, all the right buttons are hit, the pace is terrific and stays away from being long-winded and the conclusion is both rewarding and satisfying, with all loose ends tied up.

65 Below blew me away first time, and it still does to this day. For thriller-seekers, podcasters, audiobooks performers and writers/readers in general, you will find this utterly inspiring. Basil Sands' finest work ever, and at a bargain price, there's virtually no reason to NOT put this onto your kindle. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Driving Thriller Set in a Hostile Environment, 8 Dec. 2010
This review is from: 65 Below (Kindle Edition)
I was pleased to discover author Basil Sands and his novels. 65 Below is set in Alaska where I spent several years as a city manager. The plot is well conceived and the writing flows smoothly with the characters, both good and bad, defined. Perhaps as a former Marine, I had a soft place for the primary protagonist, Marcus, but his role stood alone without the need for embellishment. No spoilers offered here.

I will certainly read more of Mr. Sands work and would recommend it to others. There were some editing errors which caused me to rate this story Four Star. I understand those are in the process of being corrected.

Gordon Ryan, Author

3.0 out of 5 stars A good, quick read, 28 Mar. 2013
Timothy (Warwickshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 65 Below (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Starts as a good read, ends as a brilliant read, 1 April 2013
L. Deakin (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 65 Below (Kindle Edition)
Yeap with my weakness of snowy thrillers-especially in Alaska- I downloaded this on the cover alone. It began as an interesting read and then - bang! I was hooked, matchsticks keeping eyes open hooked. I hope to read many more by this author, I've always enjoyed Chris Ryan and Andy McNabs books but frankly I enjoyed Basil Sands more. Download, read and enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Icy Excitement!, 17 Aug. 2013
This review is from: 65 Below (Kindle Edition)
This is a fine romp set in Alaska with a good storyline, interesting flashback story and involving characters - there is some good luck that our hero's talented chums are serving in the region, and personally I could do without his poetic side, but I guess it is intended to broaden out the devoted main character. Very enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fast moving story, 21 Jan. 2014
J. Houlding (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 65 Below (Kindle Edition)
I can't say enjoyed this book but I was riveted by it. It is a very violent story and I did find the love story theme a little annoying, but it was well written, moving at a fast pace and holding my interest to the end. There are quite a few proof reading errors throughout the book but not enough that it stopped me reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, 14 Feb. 2013
This review is from: 65 Below (Kindle Edition)
Got this as a freebie a while ago and it's been hanging about on my kindle, unread, ever since!
65 Below is not my usual sort of read but once I got going thoroughly enjoyed it. Not sure that the 'African' chapters were absolutely necessary but all the same a good read. Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Great action story, 18 Sept. 2013
This review is from: 65 Below (Kindle Edition)
Full of facts about an area of the world and its' nature that I had no idea about. Great to see the romance in an action story and we know what happened next, so often the end of the game is where things are left to imagination. A very hard book to put down.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›