on 3 August 2005
The heading just about sums up my thoughts on this book. Really quite dull and everything in this books seems to be told 3rd hand. Only buy it if you are really hard up for something thing to read!
on 4 January 2011
I bought this book to help with an essay I had to write for my class.
Not only did I learn things about Badu's past and achievements but it also gave some
great soundbites to use in my essay. I believe the Distinction I received was partly down to this book

For what I needed it for, it was a very good resourceful book,however while hard core fans might really enjoy this, others may find it a little less interesting :)
on 10 October 2006
Joel McIver is perhaps best known in metal circles and wrote a fine book on Metallica, amongst others. Here he tackles this R&B icon with generally OK results. It's not a classic but there's enough in here for the passing fan intent on learning more. A pity that there wasn't some stronger interview material but for those of us who only know the story in passing this is informative and pretty good.
on 20 March 2003
I would encourage all Erykah Badu's fans to rush out and buy this book !! A truly remarkable account of her all round talent, passion, and commitment. Joel McIver's book gives a true picture of Erykah's extremely industrious nature to all aspects of her work, and also captures the unvavering belief that Erykah has always held within herself regarding her commercial success. This storty, although not an autobiography in the artist's own words, does give numerous accounts from Erykah's close friends and family respectively, which adds to the genuine love, warmth and generosity that seems to jump out of these pages and envelop the reader.