This review is for: Disco Fever
Published on 15 Aug. 2012 by Mr. D

3.0 out of 5 stars SAME AS THE REST!!!
Bought this for a few odd tracks that I hadn't already got on other CD's. Lost track of how many times I have already got Gloria Gaynor, Chic, Village People, Sister Sledge etc etc. Nice if they had included some less known hits but I guess they have to cater for a wider audience.
Published 19 months ago by Cool Cat

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best Disco compilation ever - Highly recommended!, 15 Aug. 2012
Mr. D "Mr. D" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is for: Disco Fever
This is possibly the best disco compilation I have ever come across (and I have literally hundreds of them). These 3 CDs are jam-packed with 60 tracks, so the radio versions are mostly favoured over the 12" mixes. Most Disco compilations favour 12" mixes, so this is a nice alternative and makes for a great home-listening experience when you just want to hear hit after hit. There are one or two minor gripes, such as Ottawan's "D.I.S.C.O." and Eruption's "I Can't Stand The Rain" being both noticeably shorter than the original single versions. Ottawan fades 30 seconds early at 3:13 and Eruption fading at 2:38 is simply too short. The full Eruption 7" at 3:03 is included on the excellent value 5CD:100 Hits: Disco. Cheryl Lynn's "Got To Be Real" is not the 7" version, but instead it is the album version faded which feels odd because it goes into the long instrumental break and fades after a minute or so when you're expecting the chorus to come back (but the full 7" version is also on the 5CD:100 Hits: Disco or the 12" version is on Disco Discharge. Classic Disco). Thelma Houston's "Don't Leave Me This Way" is poor quality here, but readily found on a number of other compilations, such as Universal Masters Collection - Classic Disco. Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" is not the full 7" version at almost 6 minutes, but instead is an edited version at 3:45. Best points: It includes the 7" version of Rose Royce "Car Wash", which I have on 12 different compilations and this is the only one in decent remastered quality (the others all sound hissy or have mastering faults. On this CD it sounds great and the handclaps on the intro are clear). Also included is the original 12" version of Patrick Hernandez "Born To Be Alive" which I have not found elsewhere (other compilations favour the USA 12" version, or even worse the USA 12" faded early!). Edwin Starr's "Contact" is here in the original 7" single version, which is usually only on compilations as a 12" version. The same goes for Amii Stewart's classic "Knock On Wood" which you would expect to find on more compilations, here in its original 7" radio version and again the same for Crown Heights Affair "You Gave Me Love". Also of note, Odyssey's "Native New Yorker" is the 7" version with the saxophone intro. Quincy Jones "Ai No Corrida" is the 7" version (I've not seen this on a compilation before). The Whispers "And The Beat Goes On" is the original 7" single version which was an edit ending on the chorus (most compilations fade out during a verse!). Patrick Juvet's "I Love America" 7" version is here sounding fantastic in lovely quality whereas on previous compilations it sometimes sounds muddy. Another treat is the original 7" version of Gene Chandler's "Get Down" which is usually in 12" form on most compilations. Sylvester's "You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)" is included here in an edited version I haven't come across before, different to the other 20 versions I have! I could go on and on, but you get the idea. It's great and it even includes ABBA's "Dancing Queen". ABBA are hardly ever on compilations, so that just goes to show the quality of this compilation. I didn't even get round to mentioning Kool & The Gang, Shalamar, Earth Wind & Fire, Gloria Gaynor, Village People, Diana Ross... No other Disco compilation comes close. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect 70s disco compilation, 29 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Disco Fever (Audio CD)
This brings me back to my childhood memories of disco and glitter balls. All the hits are here. Cannot recommend enough. Perfect for retro parties...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab disco sounds for dancing to!, 7 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Disco Fever (Audio CD)
The songs on these compilations CDs are fab and really take me back to my teenage years in the late 70s! They are a reminder just how funky, musical and just plain old tuneful a lot of music was back then. These songs are great for dancing along in the kitchen to, exercising at the gym to and last but not least, having a party with!

3.0 out of 5 stars SAME AS THE REST!!!, 10 Aug. 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but where are the Bee Gees, 9 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Disco Fever (Audio CD)
I think this album is brilliant it really took me back and the songs still sound great today. However the Bee Gees were the kings of disco in the 70's and so very surprised that there were none of their songs on the album just the one song written by them "If I can't have you" sung by Yvonne Elleman. Regardless of that still a great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars disco fever, 2 Jan. 2011
sweet "sweet" (cheshire, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Disco Fever (Audio CD)
I bought this cd for a christmas present. So I think it must be ok because i've had no come back from it. sorry thats all I can say about the cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of best compilations I hve ever seen, 30 Oct. 2010
Stephan Wallossek "swalloss" (Somewhere over the rainbow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Disco Fever (Audio CD)
Sometimes I look for good CD's and sometimes I do not buy as I have most of the tracks included. I have every track on this CD and I do like most of them very much. 20 years ago I worked as aprofessional DJ and some of those tracks were hard to get at the time. So if you want to have a good time in the car or have a new years party later this year, then you find many of the greatest songs on this set. The fever is still alive. The Real Thing, Love unlimited, Dan Hartman and many other classics are included. Great CD and CD is better than only MP3 or FLAC. Support the artist and purchase CD's. :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Oldies, 22 Mar. 2013
Graham Little (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Disco Fever (Audio CD)
We love the music from this era, good quality sounds, and very good value for the price. Came within the stated time, and well packaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 4 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Disco Fever (Audio CD)
Takes me back to dancing the night away at discos!! (not clubbing as it's now known !) love turning the volume up while driving and embarrasing my teenage sons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disco Fever, 10 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Disco Fever (Audio CD)
Well, what can I say - these 2 cds are packed with real classics which truly bring back memories of when they first came out. Just to show how good this LP is, I was playing it in the car whilst waiting for my daughter at hometime outside her school when one of the other mums came and sat in the car with me. She too absolutely loved it and we even had a sing song together, whilst waiting for our children to leave school. Now my friend wants to borrow it, but I will go one better and buy an original copy for her as it is her birthday next month and besides I dont want to borrow it, as I wont be able to listen to it in the meantime!!!!!!

On the whole, an excellent collection and I really recommend that you buy it, as you wont be disappointed with what you hear!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Disco Fever
Disco Fever by Various (Audio CD - 2010)