4.0 out of 5 stars Philips PicoPix PPX1020 Notebook pocket projector
I bought this for projecting digital pictures for larger viewing and....it does this admirably as advertised but with a slight overkill on the colours. Tried video's but without success, I don't think my old laptop is powerful enough!!
Published on 16 Oct 2011 by Steve C

3.0 out of 5 stars image good and great sound from device
good value for money, clear picture but the alignment of pic is very difficult..in order to get a proper square box you have to have it suspended 1.5mtr from ceiling or floor(like superman)you have to constatnly adjust tripod the buit in stand is no use could be bigger and sturdier bit the quality overall is ACE and iv tried a few too
update...
Headphones are...
Published on 13 Jun 2011 by Mmislam

3.0 out of 5 stars image good and great sound from device, 13 Jun 2011
Mmislam "H.M.I5" (UK) - See all my reviews
update...
Headphones are useless on the projector for some reason no sound or very tinny sound comes out

Phillips need a firmware update with these inclusions before anyone else buys
1..auto alignment of the pic for all movies in 4.3 or 16.9 format
2.. headphone volume needs sorting on projector
3.. auto keystone software would be fantastic and very essential

4.0 out of 5 stars Philips PicoPix PPX1020 Notebook pocket projector, 16 Oct 2011
I lent this projector to a very knowledgeable colleague of mine who said..." Had a look at the Projector over the weekend and was reasonably impressed despite a couple of limitations. It seemed to have a slight yellowish cast, but it didn't seem too vivid. It was most impressive at short "throws" of about 3-4 feet, but at greater distances the light level dropped off noticeably. Without spending 300+ you probably won't get anything better".
One tip, make sure you project directly at the screen / wall or you will end up with trapezium shaped projections.
Nice case enclosed with the kit to keep the projector safe, but no room for the USB cables! The supplied table top tripod I used only once, then mounted the projector on my own floor standing tripod for more direct projection.

Overall then, happy with the product for viewing digital pictures, it is also easy to install and use, it does take up two of your USB ports so if you already use other USB driven items, be aware of this.
I hope this opinon will be of help.

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy, 10 May 2012
I run my own small consultancy business.
I sometime review documents or give power point presentations to clients.
Pleviously I have use larger and more cumbersome projectors powered from the mains with cables linking to my laptop.
When I first opened the box I was surprised at the size of the projector, it came with the required leads (USB)a carry case, and a small tri-pod. (No instructions, but they are not necessary)
When I tried it out it took a little while to get a picture but once I found out how, it was not a problem.
The picture is clear enough.
When I first used it at a clients, one of the directors was more interested in the projector than what was being projected.
Another plus is that it does not get as hot as other projectors.
What I like about it is I can carry in my laptop case, ready to use at any time.
For the price I don't think I could have made a better choice.
My client was interested as they attend exhibitions and this could make there life a bit easier and give them back some valuable space.
If there is a downside it the fact that for a larger picture you need to place the projector a reasonable distance, therefore the room needs to be large enough. However I still don't see this as a problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Projector, Very Happy, 29 April 2012
I had been looking for a projector that I could use with my MacBook and iPad for some while and eventually chose this model.

I would have given the product 5 stars but chose to not do so as the unit does not come with the necessary cables, I ended up paying a considerable amount more for cables to connect to my iPad and MacBook. In fairness the description clearly states that the unit is not shipped with either VGA or iPad cables, although there is some confusion over the VGA cable as this is sold with the unit by some retailers and one of the reviewers on Amazon mentioned that he ordered the VGA cable with the projector and got one in the box. For clarity, the projector that I purchased from Amazon did NOT include the VGA cable. Incidentally it is worth noting that the iPad cable does not allow mirroring! The IPad cable will allow you to project photos from iPhoto and video from the iPad's native Video app. If you want to mirror the iPad; as I did, I ended up buying Apple's iPad VGA adaptor and then using that to connect to a VGA cable to the projector. I did speak with Apple and they said that their composite cable would provide mirroring and I think that I could have used that to connect to one of the cables provided with the projector but I didn't try this so I cannot confirm that it would work.

As with all Pico projects don't expect to be able to use it in well lit rooms, you can see the picture but it isn't good enough to work with, ideally the room should be darkened but having said that as long as you are not trying to project a large image then it can be used in normal office ambient lighting, perfect if you simply want to project an image the size of a normal monitor onto a screen or wall, the projector is much easier to carry then a monitor or course.

The unit came into its own when my wife and I used it to project a film onto our bedroom wall, wow! With the projector located 3 metres from the wall we managed to project a clear image of about 1.1 metres wide. Our wall had a very light lilac pattern that did not show through or affect the image at all. The internal speaker is not particularly good but we used a little battery powered speaker to improve the volume and depth of the sound.

The construction is good and the unit does come with a little pouch, although as noted by another reviewer this is only large enough to hold the projector and not the stand, cables and charger.

The battery appears to last well and when it ran flat I was able to run the unit on the power supply, I couldn't see this ability mentioned in the manual so I don't know if this is recommended or not.

The projector has a fan that can be heard when it is used but I have not found this to be intrusive, if you wanted a silent room then it might be annoying.

The stand is satisfactory although when using cables such as VGA cables it is easy to knock the unit over by moving the cables as I have done twice now.

All in all I have been delighted with this unit and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a Pico projector and understands and can work within the limitations of the technology. If you need a projector to work in bright areas then you should avoid this type of projector. Also remember that you will probably have to spend another 20 to 50 on cables and adapters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Screen TV in your pocket, 15 Nov 2011
This review is from: Philips Pico Pix PPX1230 Projector (30 Lumens) (Electronics)
This is a great wee projector from Philips. Despite knowing its dimensions i was surprised by how small it was. It throws out a bright clear picture and is very simple to use with my Mac laptop.

However I must make it clear that I have only used it at night with the lights off, with 30 lumens (respectable for a portable projector) it would struggle in light conditions.

Also the tripod it comes with can be tricky to balance, i would recommend getting a Joby Gorillapod Original - Black

All in all a great way of carrying around the equivalent of a big screen tv on trips away from home!

5.0 out of 5 stars PicoPix PPX 1430, 8 May 2011
I put a lot of effort in to finding a projector that a) I could use in business and b) have the flexibility and ease of use to be used at home by all of the family. And after a lot of web and shop research I opted for the 1430 for a number of reasons.
Size - I was fed up with having to take a number of cases to meetings and now only need my lap top and the PicoPix in one bag. The fact that you can charge it up and use it independently of a PSU was a big plus.
Functionality - Being able to read a number of formats and link up with my PC (you do need to get an extra cable) with such ease meant there was no silly user error moments or awkward pauses as when needed technology can let you down!
Home Life - My family (young kids included) can use it with ease as it is very intuitive while again supporting a large number of consumer devices.
I am pleased with my decision and all the hard work in selecting this device was all worth it. I would recommend the 1430.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but perfectly formed, 18 April 2012
This projector is a little gem. I've been using to project images on to canvas for painting and it's perfect for the job. Haven't used it much for video yet, but it seems to handle it pretty well. I saw this item in the tesco direct catalogue for 250, so it was great value from amazon at 148! Very pleased over all.

5.0 out of 5 stars PicoPix PPX 1430, 26 Oct 2011
I've been an amazon shopper for years and years and have bought loads of different items over those years. Rarely - if ever - have I found it necessary to write a review about a product

However, PicoPix PPX 1430 deserves 1 minute of my time simply to shout out what a great little product this is

I simply can't fault it!

I use it for work and pleasure. Its size means I can carry it round everywhere (even without power supply as battery life is fine for work presentations). And now - finally - we have a projector at home for movies etc (the darker the room the better - that goes without saying)

4.0 out of 5 stars small simple and efficient, 15 April 2012
This is a simple item which does the job we ask. I am only novice with this and it is perfect to watch the movie with a great size on a white wall.
I just bought it to try and I am pretty happy.
the only negative points would be the stability of the tripod and sometimes and the flow of image which is not fluent all the time(it depends on the type of support you have). Some people does not even noticed it.

Easy to set up on the laptop.

If I have to take another one, I would try a better quality, but this one its good to start

4.0 out of 5 stars picoprojector, 10 Feb 2012
nice little gadget not the best for resolution but still adequate for my perpose i use it as a monitor attached to my canon 40d camera so that i can do liveview and manualy focus when using a tripod also allows me to preview my pictures, with a white board or cloth on the floor under my tripod and the projector mounted on a clamp attached to my tripod leg and it all fits in my camera bag.

Philips Pico Pix PPX1230 Projector (30 Lumens)
Used & New from: 105.60