5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent UPS
Published on 8 Nov. 2011 by Rss

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning - compatibility issues possible
This UPS is a high quality product, but there is a high chance that your computer's power supply unit (PSU) may have a compatibility issue.

Published on 11 May 2012 by John A.

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning - compatibility issues possible, 11 May 2012
This review is from: APC BR900GI 540 Watts /900 VA,Input 230V /Output 230V, Interface Port DB-9 RS-232, USB Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 900 (Accessory)

That's the problem I had when I received the unit yesterday. The computer ran for a while with a load of abut 135W shown on the UPS's LCD, which is well under the 540W rating of the UPS. All looked good for a while and then the computer stopped responding. That is not normal for my machine and it happened a number of times when powered by the UPS. It was fine with a direct connection to the mains.

After doing some research on Google, I found that this is a well known issue. Google "APC application notes" and read "Proper UPS selection for servers with active PFC power supplies", which is note number 147. That note has useful details that should be read before buying this unit.

It is now normal for PSU's to be of a type called active PFC and these may not work properly with a UPS that does not deliver a sine wave output. Note that the same issue applies to any UPS that delivers a stepped sine wave output; it is not specific to APC units.

After some further research, I found that some active PFC PSUs work up to a certain load with this type of UPS (the numbers were in the range of 250 to 300W). My computer had a solid state main drive and three large hard drives for storage and backups. I tried removing these drives to reduce the load on the PSU, which let the computer run without crashing.

The Good
I am getting nearly an hour run time on battery and the unit is quiet in use.

The Bad
It's not easy to be sure if your computer will work with this type of UPS.

If you want to avoid issues then you need one of the more expensive units with a pure sine wave output. Three stars awarded, because the product is good, but the description should point out the compatibility risk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent UPS, 8 Nov. 2011
Rss (Chorley, UK.) - See all my reviews
I have wired two trailing sockets from two of the 5 UPS protected outlets each trailing socket supplying a seperate PC setup. PCs are a pair of i72600 CPUs in intel motherboards. Two 19inch flat DELL monitors are also connected plus a BT telephone base set, two IP cameras and one adsl router. Running flat out Total power drawn is shown as 485 Watts leaving another 300 watts or so in reserve. Estimated runtime on battery is 15 to 20 minutes. Switchover during brownouts or blackouts was seemless with just a clicking sound and what sounded like a fan sound from the unit. Overload protection was tested when a 2kw vaccuum cleaner was accidentally plugged into one of my trailing sockets. The device beeped and transferred to straight through power until the vaccuum was unplugged/shut off. UPS and PCs ran on with no ill effects to any equipment. Another quality product from APC. Yes, 5 of the sockets are not on UPS but only surge protected but this is a baby UPS for home or small office use and I find 5 UPS protected sockets more than enough. My other APC unit is over 4 years old now and still going strong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace of mind, 14 Mar. 2012
Roy The Boy (Bryneglwys, Wales) - See all my reviews
Having previously owned a smaller APC UPS unit that failed due to a life-ex battery (after many years), I went for a bigger unit this time so that I could run my large monitor and Mac through the UPS. I am very impressed with this new unit which is not much heavier than my old unit of half the power, but has far more features. The display on the front shows me exactly what my power consumption is, the state of the battery, and much more. Turning the mains on and off shows just how seamless the supply remains to my Mac, and all-in-all I am very impressed with this 'peace of mind' bit of kit which means that I no longer have to fear small power outages.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good investment for the office., 15 July 2014
R Coombe (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Outstanding. Haven't brought a UPS since our generic model died some years ago after a short life. APS back then were much more expensive and although you can still get cheaper generic models - this model seemed to fit our requirements and had a 2 year guarantee.

It was very easy to setup and came with TWO leads already (which I didn't see on the description so ordered too many extras!). Like most people, our setup has lots of small power adapter items that need a gang socket - so I cut the male end off one and rewired it into the existing gang socket. This allowed for the following items to be connected (UPS) two i7 PCs; 1 Monitor; gang adapter with lower power devices - 1 NAS; Backup dock; 2 routers; telephone and switch - (Surge) two monitors.

The total pull on normal usage is about 220w reaching about 300w when the i7s are under load. The gang socket draws a mere 25w dropping to about 15w when all the main devices are switched off.

The main purpose of the UPS, beside surge protection for all equipment - was to provide a fail safe for the office NAS - a Synology 411 slim and the backup dock that uses a 3.5" HDDs in case of power failure while the drives were in use. The NAS instantly found the UPS via the supplied USB cable and a quick test showed that it shutdown during power failure.

The nuisance is that only one device can be connected to this feature. But even with both computers on you still have about 15-30 mins of shutdown time and once they are off the routers & NAS can keep ticking over for much longer - so using a laptop or tablet is still possible - if you must keep working. The synology NAS is an ever evolving device - so maybe an update will allow a push notification to networked devices of a shutdown (it already does this of other diskstations) as this would solve the one last problem.

The device seems very well made and the display is great for feedback of power draw and time remaining and functions can be enabled or disabled such as using master / slave or beeping. Noise seems minimal - it's 22:00 now and deathly quiet in the office and the UPS cannot be heard unless I stick my head under the desk.

PSU wise - the i7's are a shop brought Asus and a custom build with Corsar bronze model. Neither appear to have any problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and works as it should, 17 May 2013
Paul Townend "PT" (Pontefract, UK) - See all my reviews
Ideal for the home office. I was after something to keep my main PC running for a few minutes along with a small server and a few peripherals. Tested with the following kit, it worked a treat:-
Main PC - quad i5 with GTX460 graphics card and a couple of hard drives
HP Proliant N40L microserver
Draytek router
Pair of KRK active speakers
Dell 24" LCD monitor
Total: 250W under normal use (ie: not gaming which adds about another 100W)

With all that lot running, I expected it to die pretty rapid and while the readout does indeed show a quick decline in the expected number of minutes, it was more than 15 minutes indicated. Shutting down the main PC dropped off enough Watts to bring it back up to over an hour and then turning off everything but the N40L showed a stunning 3+ hours!

The LCD readout is really handy, you get to see how many Watts you're eating along with other geeky bits like input and output voltage - quite surprising how far from 240V your mains can get!

And the surprise Brucey bonus for me was it has completely removed all electrical spike noise on my speakers. Not just toned down, totally gone. I wish someone had suggested this earlier - I've tried ferrite rings, RF reduction adapters, the lot.

As a lot of other users, I opted to get a 4-gang IEC adapter for the non-essential peripherals - saves you buying a load of IEC cables.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works out of the box with my iMac, 23 April 2014
This was my first UPS. I recently moved home and the power supply to my new address is less than reliable. Turn on anything powerful and the lights dim, plus three occasions when the power cut unexpectedly in the last four months. I was unsure how long the BR900GI would power my computer (21.5 inch iMac); turns out it can keep it going for an hour after the power is cut. Obviously this would be less if I were to plug in other accessories like the external hard drives. The UPS comes with a USB cable that once plugged in allows you to define some useful settings from the Energy Saver submenu of the System Preferences of the iMac. You can set it to shut the computer down when the battery runs low, dim the screen when running on the battery and display the battery charge in the desktop menu amongst other things and nothing needed to be installed to get these features. Now I don't panic if the wife decides to use the tumble dryer at the same time as the oven, but I am saving up for another UPS to protect the PS3!

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't produce a Pure Sine Wave Signal, 25 Nov. 2013
Hi

When I tested the Pro 1500 UPS my Computer Power Supply started Buzzing on Battery Backup.

I own a CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES(tm) TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE Power Supply.

*******************************************

Inserting power cable for first time: the computer power supply will buzz during windows7 booting up, only does this once!

Testing the battery will cause my computer power supply to start buzzing.

*******************************************

Feedback from APC, they say my Pro 1500 UPS (£269) doesn't produce a Pure Sine Wave Signal.
I was told the buzzing will not harm my CORSAIR 650W power supply.

If I want a UPS that doesn't buzz the computer power supply I need to buy the: SMT1500I APC SMT1500I 980W Smart Uninterruptible Power Supplies - £430.79 (produces a pure sine wave signal).

I have been reading the corsair forum.

I quote from the corsair forum: With some UPS backups you will get buzzing with high efficiency PSU's. This will not damage any of the components in the system.

Corsair suggests nothing but pure sine wave UPS's with their PSU's

****************************************
26/11/13 Just came back and turned my PC on, after about 5 to 10mins the PC Power Supply started buzzing and windows7 froze, couldn't move my mouse cursor. Had to turn the power off on the UPS using the power off switch.

I bought my PC on the 10th March 2013, never had any problems until using the UPS.

I'm testing the UPS to see if the problem reoccurs.

27/11/13 to 14/1/14 No more problems to report yet.
***************************************

Jonathan

5.0 out of 5 stars It's proved itself, 24 Feb. 2014
This product has worked perfectly during the recent storms and ad hoc power outages we suffer here in rural Devon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and has a long supply time, 11 Nov. 2013
Using this with my Synology DS 213+ unit - works fine (even though its not stated as a compatible unit).
When the power fails it signals my Synology which I have set to close down after 15 mins.
Automatic self tests are performed once a week with indicators to show if there are any problems.
Nice graphic display with various information settings.
Was initially worried about the heat and noise this unit would generate - absolutely fine - slight head generated (but not enough to class as warm) and quiet

5.0 out of 5 stars Good kit, 14 Aug. 2013
Needed a longer run time UPS at a reasonable price for some critical equipment, and this meets the requirement.
I was particularly pleased that along with teh usual APC excellent performance, thi one also has a connection for an extra battery pack. No sign of that detail in teh sales bumf or specs, unless I'm going blind.