5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent UPS
Published on 8 Nov 2011 by R. Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning - compatibility issues possible
This UPS is a high quality product, but there is a high chance that your computer's power supply unit (PSU) may have a compatibility issue.

Published on 11 May 2012 by John A.

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning - compatibility issues possible, 11 May 2012
This review is from: APC BR900GI 540 Watts /900 VA,Input 230V /Output 230V, Interface Port DB-9 RS-232, USB Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 900 (Electronics)

That's the problem I had when I received the unit yesterday. The computer ran for a while with a load of abut 135W shown on the UPS's LCD, which is well under the 540W rating of the UPS. All looked good for a while and then the computer stopped responding. That is not normal for my machine and it happened a number of times when powered by the UPS. It was fine with a direct connection to the mains.

After doing some research on Google, I found that this is a well known issue. Google "APC application notes" and read "Proper UPS selection for servers with active PFC power supplies", which is note number 147. That note has useful details that should be read before buying this unit.

It is now normal for PSU's to be of a type called active PFC and these may not work properly with a UPS that does not deliver a sine wave output. Note that the same issue applies to any UPS that delivers a stepped sine wave output; it is not specific to APC units.

After some further research, I found that some active PFC PSUs work up to a certain load with this type of UPS (the numbers were in the range of 250 to 300W). My computer had a solid state main drive and three large hard drives for storage and backups. I tried removing these drives to reduce the load on the PSU, which let the computer run without crashing.

The Good
I am getting nearly an hour run time on battery and the unit is quiet in use.

The Bad
It's not easy to be sure if your computer will work with this type of UPS.

If you want to avoid issues then you need one of the more expensive units with a pure sine wave output. Three stars awarded, because the product is good, but the description should point out the compatibility risk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent UPS, 8 Nov 2011
R. Scott (Chorley, UK.) - See all my reviews
I have wired two trailing sockets from two of the 5 UPS protected outlets each trailing socket supplying a seperate PC setup. PCs are a pair of i72600 CPUs in intel motherboards. Two 19inch flat DELL monitors are also connected plus a BT telephone base set, two IP cameras and one adsl router. Running flat out Total power drawn is shown as 485 Watts leaving another 300 watts or so in reserve. Estimated runtime on battery is 15 to 20 minutes. Switchover during brownouts or blackouts was seemless with just a clicking sound and what sounded like a fan sound from the unit. Overload protection was tested when a 2kw vaccuum cleaner was accidentally plugged into one of my trailing sockets. The device beeped and transferred to straight through power until the vaccuum was unplugged/shut off. UPS and PCs ran on with no ill effects to any equipment. Another quality product from APC. Yes, 5 of the sockets are not on UPS but only surge protected but this is a baby UPS for home or small office use and I find 5 UPS protected sockets more than enough. My other APC unit is over 4 years old now and still going strong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace of mind, 14 Mar 2012
Roy The Boy (Bryneglwys, Wales) - See all my reviews
Having previously owned a smaller APC UPS unit that failed due to a life-ex battery (after many years), I went for a bigger unit this time so that I could run my large monitor and Mac through the UPS. I am very impressed with this new unit which is not much heavier than my old unit of half the power, but has far more features. The display on the front shows me exactly what my power consumption is, the state of the battery, and much more. Turning the mains on and off shows just how seamless the supply remains to my Mac, and all-in-all I am very impressed with this 'peace of mind' bit of kit which means that I no longer have to fear small power outages.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's proved itself, 24 Feb 2014
This product has worked perfectly during the recent storms and ad hoc power outages we suffer here in rural Devon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and has a long supply time, 11 Nov 2013
Using this with my Synology DS 213+ unit - works fine (even though its not stated as a compatible unit).
When the power fails it signals my Synology which I have set to close down after 15 mins.
Automatic self tests are performed once a week with indicators to show if there are any problems.
Nice graphic display with various information settings.
Was initially worried about the heat and noise this unit would generate - absolutely fine - slight head generated (but not enough to class as warm) and quiet

5.0 out of 5 stars Good kit, 14 Aug 2013
Needed a longer run time UPS at a reasonable price for some critical equipment, and this meets the requirement.
I was particularly pleased that along with teh usual APC excellent performance, thi one also has a connection for an extra battery pack. No sign of that detail in teh sales bumf or specs, unless I'm going blind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart, compact unit that seems to do the job OK, 2 Aug 2013
Gareth W. Jones (Shiplake, UK) - See all my reviews
My previous, second-hand APC server unit became uneconomic to repair so I looked around for something else. I know APC to be a reputable brand, especially for higher end products, so was happy to try a consumer level product. I noted from some of the reviews the potential incompatibility with modern power units so chose a unit with an output much higher than I currently need. I've had no problems to date.
The APC UPS is attractively styled and much smaller and lighter than my previous UPS. It was easy to set up, is very quiet in operation (just an almost imperceptible buzz) and has kept my computer and router going through a number of short outages. I haven't checked how long the battery will last, but as it's not under heavy load it should last a while, and in any case the comms link with my computer should ensure a soft shut down before the battery dies.
My only very minor gripe was that it came with two IEC main-female leads but no lead to plug it into a 13Amp socket. Maybe this was a packing error. In any case I had spare 13a-IEC leads so it was no problem.
My 4star rating is only because I haven't had it long enough to fully judge its performance.

4.0 out of 5 stars As described, 18 May 2013
Does what it says only improvement would be for an IEC to BS1363 adaptor as few domestic pieces of equipment have IEC connectors. Unfortuntaely thE APC unit that does have BS1363 (standard British plugs) was a bit short on capacity for my requirements. However dont make the mistake I did and buy an IEC connector from Sosupplies, they are rubbish and dangerous. Look up the IEC rewirable connector on the RS components and order that, made by Bulgin a good quality make.

4.0 out of 5 stars For peace of mind - just fit and forget, 7 Sep 2012
I've had a previous (lower power) model for about 15 years and on a few occasions it has saved me from loosing a great deal of work. You get a warm feeling inside when the lights suddenly go out without warning but the PC goes on as if nothing has happened - even half way through rendering a film or burning a DVD. It controls periferals such as monitor and powered speakers and will power them down when the PC goes to hibernate and power them up again when required, which is handy.

This new model is just as good - just fit and forget.

(As it uses American conectors (screw-fit ones easy to get from Amazon) you might need to make up a short extension lead to take those mains converters which are built in to 13A square pin plugs for things like powered speakers, but leads for PC and monitor are supplied.APC Back UPS RS Pro 900VA 540W 230V with IEC-320 C14 and IEC-320 C13 Connections - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't produce a Pure Sine Wave Signal, 25 Nov 2013
Hi

When I tested the Pro 1500 UPS my Computer Power Supply started Buzzing on Battery Backup.

I own a CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES(tm) TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE Power Supply.

*******************************************

Inserting power cable for first time: the computer power supply will buzz during windows7 booting up, only does this once!

Testing the battery will cause my computer power supply to start buzzing.

*******************************************

Feedback from APC, they say my Pro 1500 UPS (£269) doesn't produce a Pure Sine Wave Signal.
I was told the buzzing will not harm my CORSAIR 650W power supply.

If I want a UPS that doesn't buzz the computer power supply I need to buy the: SMT1500I APC SMT1500I 980W Smart Uninterruptible Power Supplies - £430.79 (produces a pure sine wave signal).

I have been reading the corsair forum.

I quote from the corsair forum: With some UPS backups you will get buzzing with high efficiency PSU's. This will not damage any of the components in the system.

Corsair suggests nothing but pure sine wave UPS's with their PSU's

****************************************
26/11/13 Just came back and turned my PC on, after about 5 to 10mins the PC Power Supply started buzzing and windows7 froze, couldn't move my mouse cursor. Had to turn the power off on the UPS using the power off switch.

I bought my PC on the 10th March 2013, never had any problems until using the UPS.

I'm testing the UPS to see if the problem reoccurs.

27/11/13 to 14/1/14 No more problems to report yet.
***************************************