on 25 October 2010
Having used a good number of anti-virus over the years recommended by the IT technician and Computer Sales Man. I have found a winner in Vipre Premium. Not only is it for life (which saves a lot money- good thing in this current economic climate)its easy to install and has improved the performance of my computer. Updates do not slow down my computer at all, I also get worldwide threat levels unlike previous anti-viruses that I have used in the past.

I would recommend anyone who would like a reliable, affordable, quick to install anti-virus to try it out and be converted as I am. Really happy with the results.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Vipre Antivirus Premium program has a great selling point - antivirus software that doesn't require costly annual licence renewals and doesn't slow your computer down like Norton. If only it didn't stop mine dead in its tracks. Initial installation wasn't as smooth as it could be, with the instant upgrades reducing the Windows shortcut to an empty shell that did nothing when clicked on, least of all opening the program. But, after uninstalling and reinstalling without the upgrades, it seemed that it did indeed do just what it said on the packet. The quick scan (around 22 minutes) and the Deep Root Scan (three-four hours) ran without affecting any other programs. They didn't pick up any threats, but maybe there weren't any on the computer. The problem started when I tried to use the computer some six hours later: in the interim it had clearly decided that the best way to protect the computer was to prevent those pesky humans from using it.

Without exception, every program was running slow - incredibly slow. 10 minutes to open a Windows page. 20 minutes to open an internet page (not a firewall issue, since even after filter settings were changed it took forever just to open the browser) and you can forget about clicking on links. Then it simply stopped opening them at all. Pages simply froze or you'd find yourself looking at a white screen. (NB - although Vipre admit the system runs slower if you have another antivirus program installed, it ran this slowly after I'd uninstalled the Panda system I was using). The uninstall instructions were simple enough, but having slowed the computer down to a grinding halt the pages simply wouldn't load or would simply freeze, necessitating reboot after reboot to try and get rid of it. Yes, there is free customer support, but the phone line is no good out of hours and if you can't log onto the net the online help is no help ether. Two hours later, when it was finally uninstalled, everything was back to normal running speeds.

I'd relied on Panda Global Protection before, but the expensive annual upgrades were a problem that this seemed an attractive solution to, but now I'm back with Panda for now. Maybe the system works without any of these problems on newer computers (though mine far exceeded the minimum specs), but sadly after a promising start this simply stopped my computer in its tracks.
on 1 August 2011
I've been looking for a new PC security program for several months now and since my trial with Mcafee ended I've been trying trials to see which one suits me best.I tried BitDefender 2011 after reading reviews about it and it was the best one around. However after only 10 days of a 30 day trial I decided to try another one. This was because as much as BitDefender is a good security program it slowed my computer down considerably compared to when I was using Mcafee so I decided it needed to change.

I read reviews on several others and like them all, they offer anti-virus,spy-ware,firewall etc. I came across Vipre and it was supposed to be the fastest one on the market. I downloaded a 15 day trial and was pleased. The speed of my pc was dramatically improved and It protected my computer from every threat going. I was still crossed between going back to Mcafee as I had used it and did like Mcafee which is a very good pc security program. However after two years of renewing Mcafee Vipre's lifetime pc protection won me over and I haven't looked back since.

Vipre's lifetime pc warranty and the fact that it did not slow down my pc were the main winners as I knew from the trial that it was a competent anti-virus/firewall so I knew it could do the job just like many other pc security programs.

I think that Vipre is missing one feature that I felt it needed as some of its competitors do have it. The feature is an live active web filter which can be found with Mcafee. This feature was a bonus and nearly did see me purchasing Mcafee again. This feature for those who are un-ware of its importance is essentially a program that filters out all the websites that you search for when on the internet. On Mcafee it lists them with a green or red tick next to them which is self explanatory. The green tick means the website is safe and the red tick means its not safe. This certainly offers a greater scope of protection and means that you can see which websites are safe before you even click on them.

Overall I think that Vipre Premium Pack is one of the best on the market and has added features and perks that make it a very competent security suite. The pc lifetime warrenty which for me means that Vipre will run out on my pc in 2031 and the fact that it does not burn a hole in my system resources means that it certainly is a very good purchase and I recommend it to any one that is looking for a competent and reliable security pack.
on 2 December 2013
I purchased this 4 years ago and its worked for me.So I must say it has been a very good purchase for me saving me £40.00 a year on my previous anti virus and any way you look at that it must be good.
on 14 February 2014
I have been using this for several years. Bought from Amazon for about ten pounds for life of pc licence. Have had annual version updates automatically downloaded. Installation is simple and I have reinstalled after windows reinstalation from free downloads from VIPRE using my original licence key. I have had one major trojan infection when I tried in error to install Skype from an unofficial site and ignored the VIPRE warning. I had to install malwarebytes chameleon to clear this up. I now run malwarebytes alongside VIPRE with no problems. Technical support from VIPRE was outstanding when I got the virus. I think this is not very pretty like some other competition but I have confidence that it is as good as many pricy alternatives I have used before.
on 30 June 2012
IMPORTANT! -Additional update- Free upgrade at Vipre website!!-

[...]

Revised impression, from Negative to VERY positive!

Took 4 tries to get it to install properly, which I found extremely annoying.

I'm on Win7 64Ultimate - I Run an ASrock Extreme board that has a LOAD of apps running in the background, so it may well be that these affected installation..After disabling everything Vipre eventually installed correctly - however it's now very reluctant to update, so I effectively have no protection. I've attempted to download the signatures manually from the Vipre website, but the site is quite slow; I'd probably have more luck if I had a download manager installed.

Having pointed out all of the above the application itself appears solid - it's certainly lightweight, and the firewall appears to function well.

I'm a big fan of the "lifetime" subscription - that paired with the really positive press Vipre/GFI have gotten lately made me pick this over the suite I'm running on my other system.

Once the application is installed YOU MUST HAVE A GOOD INTERNET CONNECTION the 1st update the application pulls down is just short of 90mb; without this update you'll be running an old application with no antivirus/malware defs.

When the application has updated it is absolutely PERFECT, much much better than what is currently perceived to be "the big names" out there - and for a fraction of the price!

IF this price lasts I'll be buying a few more licences to run on Virtual Machines.
review image review image review image review image
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 January 2015
The product is constantly updating and seems to block everything. I don't know how to change this. It also does not seem to be compatible with windows 8. We have has vipre anti-virus for a year and have now decided to get free AVG anti-virus software instead.
on 3 November 2010
I have been waiting for this product before I installed an antivirus on my laptop.
Its ingenious. I install it once on my laptop and I never have to worry about renewing my subscription again! Not like the other antivirus products out there, where you pay x amount for the product and then have to carry on paying each year!

I used to run Norton which made my laptop run slow, I could never do anything while Norton's updates were running. It was a nightmare.
Not I'm running VIPRE, I can watch Eastenders on iplayer at the same time, it's so quick, I can tell you now that NEVER happened with my last software. I heard of VIPRE from GFI because I remembered GFI were one of the only companies to detect the iloveyou virus, which made me think this product will also keep me protected.

My granddad has just started using the internet, this AV will be great for him, he will never have to worry about renewing it.

Thanks VIPRE for creating a product that I never have to renew, will keep me safe and also allows me to use my laptop how I should without slowing it down.
on 19 August 2012
HAVING USED A FREE (AVAST!) ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAMME FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS, I DECIDED THAT IT WAS TIME TO TO UPGRADE, AS MY COMPUTER WAS NOT RUNNING AT THE SPEED EXPECTED, AND I WAS RECEIVING A NUMBER OF UNSOLICITED EMAILS.
I LOOKED AT THE WELL KNOWN BRANDS - NORTON, MACAFEE ETC. AND CONSIDERED THEIR COSTS. NOT VIABLE, BEARING IN MIND THAT AN ANNUAL FEE IS PAYABLE.
I FOUND VIPRE ON THE AMAZON WEBSITE, WITH A PC LIFETIME USAGE, AND PURCHASED.
EASY TO LOAD, EASY TO NAVIGATE, AND UPGRADES AVAILABLE, FREE, ON REQUEST.
SO FAR IT HAS FOUND PROBLEMS THAT AVAST HAD NOT FOUND, AND MY COMPUTER HAS NEVER RUN SO SMOOTHLY.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
on 21 April 2012
Too good to be true at the price and it was ! No problem installing until it came to updating which it would not do. I phoned the Vipre helpline and was told the best way to update was to uninstall this version and download a much newer version which of course would have cost money.Of course I returned it to amazon with no problems my advise in future is to purchase the newest version available.