4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the alternatives
Published on 5 Nov 2010 by The500Man

1.0 out of 5 stars No AVCHD output, no sale
This is a review of Adobe Premiere Elements 9 only. I couldn't find a link on the page for that product alone and wanted to share my experiences while fresh in my mind. Anyway Photoshop Elements is usually pretty good.

Published on 28 Sep 2010 by R. F. Jukes

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the alternatives, 5 Nov 2010
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 and Premiere Elements 9 Bundle (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
I had not used Premiere since version 6 and had been using Photoshop 7 until I decided to pick up this bundle. A recent need for a video editor made me look around to see what was available, and having tried a number of products through online trial downloads I can say without reservation that Premiere Elements 9 is the best non-professional editor around, and by some margin.

Generally speaking I've found it to be quite stable and have had no hardware issues what-so-ever. I'm using it on a Phenom II X3 3.2 GhZ with only 2 GB RAM, and an ATI HD5750 graphics card. I have however experienced instability while using the audio editing tools, which at times leads to the program unexpectedly quiting. So get used to saving frequently.

Photoshop Elements 9 seems to be an evolution of previous versions with some new added capabilities. All in all an impressive upgrade from version 7.

I'd recommend this bundle to anyone but I would advise you to download the trial first to make sure that you will not have hardware issues like one of the previous reviewers here.

It's well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous software, 1 Oct 2010
I've always appreciated Adobe software, and as a Mac user i eagerly anticipated the release of the latest version of Photoshop Elements and, more importantly Premiere Elements. Both are geared towards the enthusiastic home user who doesn't have the cash or inclination to use the full-fat variants. I was finding iMovie and iPhoto too limiting.

Despite the sophisticated feature set, the learning curve on this software is not too steep, which is lucky because the online help is pretty basic.

I've read the other two reviews. Maybe the reviewers have valid arguments. Personally I'm unlikely to use the features they complain about so I'm uninfluenced.

The products are great, power rich, sophisticated but easy to get to grips with.

Oh...and power hungry. Check the min spec out carefully before purchasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars New version, 30 Dec 2010
John Powell (Swansea, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The previous versions of these programmes that I had used was Photoshop Elements 5 and Premier Elements 3. But these would not work on my new PC that came with Windows 7, so I was forced to update. I had no problems during the instalation of the programmes and when adding my photos to the Organiser. It is early days but I found that Premier E 9 would not allow me to edit old recordings, so I will try Nero to complete this one project.
No such problem with Photoshop Elements 9, I find the choices that it shows me a great improvement and easier to use when adding photos to emails as it shows the size of your attachment. I am still exploring its other assets.

1.0 out of 5 stars No AVCHD output, no sale, 28 Sep 2010
R. F. Jukes (Sutton, Surrey) - See all my reviews

My requirements for video editing software are modest. I just want to run through the 3 step cycle of Import the clips, Basic Edit (throw out the 66% rubbish, add a few titles, perhaps a menu) and Export to DVD efficiently and reliably. I have been doing this for years with Adobe Premiere Elements 3 which is perfect for SD editing.

I have been using HD video for a year and have struggled to find any editor with similar characteristics on HD clips. Premiere Elements 8 has a dreadful reputation so I have been using Pinnacle 12. But it has a poor editing interface and often fails when starting to create a disc. But it can be got to work and it will create the AVCHD disc format that writes 20 or 30 minutes to a DVD blank which will then play on most Blu-Ray players. This allows you to do without a Blu-Ray Burner and expensive Blu-Ray blank discs (well over £1 each).

But I had great hopes that Premiere Elements 9 would have solved 8's problems and take me back to an editing environment I like. So when it was announced, I downloaded the trial version from the Adobe web site. It downloaded and installed without problem and seemed very stable.

I decided the best way to start to test it was to run it through the simplest possible version of the 3 step cycle. This is what happened :-

IMPORT: the software loaded mp4 clips from a Samsung R10 camcorder via a USB cable with only the usual 2 irritations typical of the Adobe import approach i.e. an unwanted Organiser component elbowing in and doing the job and no obvious way of preventing it importing everything that was on the SD card. Well I can organise my own clips and photos thank you and would like a way of not installing the Organiser component at all (same point applies to Photoshop Elements). With the increasing size of SD cards there should be an option to select the files to import. Verdict - it works but in practice I would use a card reader and Windows to import which allows me to control where the clips go and which ones I import.

EDIT: nice large display window and it played the clips OK but I was anxious to complete the whole cycle before embarking on any detailed editing experiments so didn't do anything much. Verdict - OK as far as I went.

EXPORT: I am only interested in output to disc that will allow me to play at HD quality on a TV. The software only offers 2 options :- 1. Standard Definition DVD. I tested this by writing to a Folder and this worked fine but is not what I want. 2. Blu-Ray disc. I couldn't test this because I haven't got a Blu-Ray Burner and the Folder option is not available with Blu-Ray (why not? anyone trying HD editing can surely afford 25 or 50GB on a temporary basis and having to go straight to disc could create some rather expensive coasters if the rendering fails). Most current video editors offer AVCHD disc output as well. This doesn't. It would appear from searching the Adobe Forums that the production version will be the same. Verdict - a deal-breaker for me and I shall not proceed further with any release of Premiere Elements that does not have this feature.

So my search for a usable and reliable video editor continues. I notice that Magix are about to offer a 3D editing facility in their Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus. I couldn't be less interested in 3D editing but it should mean that the 16 version will be a lot cheaper soon. I might give that a go. Any other suggestions gratefully received!

Update 1st Oct

I did wonder if I had been harsh giving the software one star because it didn't do the AVCHD output I wanted. After all it appeared stable and maybe most people were going to produce SD DVDs or Blu-Ray discs or go in for all this other sharing that has become popular. Maybe it does all those things at a 5 star level?

Well today I spent a few further hours playing and I wasn't harsh at all. It is like a different program today. On IMPORT it has developed a Video Importer that didn't appear at all during my first use a couple of days ago. Actually that is good news since it provides the selective import from an SD card I was asking for. But after that all was chaos. The mp4 clips will import from a Samsung R10 and appear OK in the Organiser but will not play at all so cannot be edited. (The same clips WILL play - a bit jerkily - in Premiere Elements 3.) The program loops for hours and has to be stopped manually. What was stable 2 days ago is now a nightmare.

So what is going on? I've made no changes to the machine at all. I have now uninstalled, cleaned out the remains in Program Files/Data, restarted, re-installed. No improvement. I have imported and edited AVCHD files OK but mp4 which did work doesn't anymore.

There are two worrying comments in the Adobe Forums. The first is that the paid for version is better than the trial. Something about money being needed to unlock on-line activation from 3rd parties for certain features. If true why have a trial version? The second is that bits of Photoshop running in the background can upset Premiere. I certainly used Photoshop Elements this morning before returning to Premiere but a re-install and re-start should surely have removed any such influence?

Well, I'm going to get a life and give this up. For many years I worked with Database Management Systems and we sourced our products from the States. Towards the end of my career we began to use Japanese Object Oriented Systems. One of our Database Gurus said to me after a thorough look at the Japanese products "The Japanese have a quite different attitude to Software development from the Americans. It is almost a point of honour that everything works as specified. If there is anything doubtful about a feature they just don't put it in the released product. The Americans on the other hand ...". Clearly Adobe should recruit some Japanese Software Development managers.

5.0 out of 5 stars PE 9 - Nice kIt!, 21 Dec 2010
Roy (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
I previously owned Photoshop Elements 7 and had put off updating until Vers.9 came out. Some good new features on 9 and the same basic ingredients that in my opinion make this the best value for money editing software going today.
I also purchased Premier Elements 9 as a bundle but due my lack of video editing experience I am still on a learning curve with this package - so far it has possibilities but I find it rather complex and can be heavy on memory use.
Roy

1.0 out of 5 stars Adobe Premiere Elements 9, 1 Oct 2010
I have recently upgraded from Adobe Premiere Elements 8 (along with Photoshop Elements 8) to Adobe Premiere Elements 9. I have used Premiere Elements since version 4 and I guess that I have struggled with the stability issue of these programmes ( particularly versions 7 and 8) and have overcome them somehow. My machine currently uses Windows 7 as the Operating System (32-bit), has a Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz and 4.00 GB RAM (3.5 GB usable).

In the low price range, Adobe Premiere Elements is in my experience the best editing programme around for Standard and High Definition when it works.

The fact is that even with various tricks to reduce the memory bleed within Premiere Elements 9, I have found it unusable, giving me perhaps 5 - 10 mins before it crashes. Sometimes I could not get started at all.

In addition Adobe do not seem to have bothered to correct some well-known faults that were inherent in Premiere Elements 8 such as in BluRay burning, at the end of a video, the disc drops out rather than return to the main menu (works fine in DVD mode). I had hoped that this might have been put right in 9, but this is not the case.

The addition of useful editing facilities for sound in 9 is a good reason for buying it, but not good enough, and my recommendation would be not to waste your money on Premiere Elements 9 and stick to 8, which is what I have had to revert to. I await some sort of fix from Adobe for the problems associated with Premiere Elements 9 which is still installed on my machine alongside 8, but now unused. If I need sound editing, I have other programmes which can do this for me just as well.

Fortunately, unlike between 8 and 7, if you have loaded a project in 9, it is still possible to load it and edit in 8. Thank heavens for small mercies!Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 and Premiere Elements 9 Bundle, Upgrade Edition (PC/Mac)

I should add that Photoshop Elements 9 seems fine although I have not so far discovered what distinguishes it from Photoshop Elements 8.

Overall, I feel that I have wasted my money with the Adobe Elements 9 upgrade.

2.0 out of 5 stars One product let down the other..., 23 Nov 2010
Generally Photoshop Elements 9 is a very good product and would have loved to have given it 4 to 5 stars but...

What are Adobe playing at releasing the bit of garbage they call Premiere Elements 9. I can go into a long list of things wrong with it but I could be here forever. For example, I have a pretty high spec PC (Quad CPU, 8 gigs RAM, Windows 7 64bit) and when I run Premiere Elements 9 it slows everything down and it's still slow.

My advice is buy Photoshop Elements 9 by itself and get a different product to do video editing. You'll be happier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised at performance, 25 Jan 2011
I was apprehensive about buying Elements 9 after reading reviews about slow performance with Premiere. I was pleasantly surprised to find this unfounded (at least with my experience). Premiere Elements 7 was practically unusable with the AVCHD Lite video format from my Panasonic stills camera but with 9 I experienced a complete turnaround in performance. I got the bundle at a great price (I wouldn't have taken the risk otherwise) and I'm really glad I did. No more leaving the video rendering overnight which should save a few pence in electricity. Photoshop Elements has a few nice extra features although I was happy with Photoshop Elements 6. However, given the bundled price it was worthwhile getting both together. Why not 5 out of 5? Some features aren't quite as intuitive as they could be but that's about it.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's awful but I like it!, 26 Nov 2010
Old Den (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
I finally did take the plunge and bought this bundle. Photoshop Elements installed with no problem but I had great problems with installing Premiere Elements. This was probably partly my fault because I put in Disc 2 before installing both programs (no such warning in the small Getting Started booklets). I then got lots of error messages and had to call on Adobe Help to sort me out. After taking control of my desktop (I have an iMac) and working on it for about half an hour with some co-operation from me, Premiere Elements finally installed. I haven't tried Phot El yet because I had Version 8 and 9 seems similar. I have spent all afternoon getting to know Prem El again after having used it for some years before I converted to a Mac. So the layout and the tools were all fairly familiar to me and I started a Trial project. That's when I was reminded of the pitfalls, such as making sure to choose the correct video format and aspect ratio etc before starting the project (can't be changed later). I have a Panasonic DV (tape) camcorder NV-GS500 set to record in PAL format in widescreen and this was detected by the Get Media capture and the clips on the tape were copied over OK (or so I thought). When I came to do some trial editing I discovered that the video on some (only some) of the clips had been compressed vertically although I had specified 16:9 aspect at the outset. Other clips which had been in the same batch were perfectly OK. Also I found that the choice of dividing clips by Content caused some clips to be joined as one instead of separated. Much safer to choose the divide by time option. I played about with the editing for a while using various features and, like some of the other reviewers, I suffered from occasional crashes for no apparent reason. Mind you, I've had similar aspect problems with Apple Final Cut Express. In the end, I did what I always do when using FC Ex - I captured my clips from my camcorder using iMovie in a new event folder first (all iMovie asks is what aspect ratio you want) and then I imported the clips into Premiere from the iMovie event folder as video files. Result - no problems with aspect ratio or anything else and as a bonus they can be played back without having to be rendered first. It's all such a pity because I really do like Prem El even if you have to sweat a bit to get it to run. Why can't all video editors capture as easily and be as stable as iMovie? Beats me!

Update - the next day.

I've spent some more hours trying out Prem El 9 during which it quit unexpectedly several times and also refused to quit when I wanted it to, making me force it to quit. The aspect ratio problem described above persisted and I was spending more time on the system than I was on editing movies. So I have to agree that it is not worth installing. I've now uninstalled it and will just stick with Photo El 9 plus iMovie and Final Cut Express.

I don't like Prem El 9 after all!

1.0 out of 5 stars this is the most awful version of premiere elements yet, 14 Oct 2010
The title says it all. I have now uninstalled this software as it is just totally unusable. My pc runs windows vista 64 bit with a quad core processor on 8GB of RAM and the software still runs like treacle...very, very slowly indeed. The interface is turgid and just not what i would have expected from an upgrade. For gods sake save your money as Adobe don't desreve to get it for this software.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 and Premiere Elements 9 Bundle (PC/Mac)
Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 and Premiere Elements 9 Bundle (PC/Mac) by Adobe Systems Inc. (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / Vista)
Out of stock