5.0 out of 5 stars Quantum jumping
An anime movie [that's a cartoon film made in Japan, just in case you're uninitiated] that asks that age old question that must have occurred to all of us from time to time. What would we do if we could go back in time and change the past? More specificially, erase our past mistakes.

Makoto is an ordinary seventeen old schoolgirl, best friends with a pair of...
Published on 2 May 2011 by Paul Tapner

3.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected delight
A cross between "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind" and a clever rites-of-passage film, with time travel, and charmingly sweet animation? Oh, an unlikely, but rather brilliant premise allows the film to explore the world of teenage passage, the nature of cruelty, love, and, of course, the casual flippancy of time travel, and examine how our decisions and our powers...
Published on 26 Dec 2008 by Mr. M. A. Reed

5.0 out of 5 stars Quantum jumping, 2 May 2011
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Makoto is an ordinary seventeen old schoolgirl, best friends with a pair of boys her age, who discovers by chance that taking a big jump gives her the ability to go back in time. She appears to have gained this following an accident in a chemistry lab.

Taking advice from a wise aunt, she soon comes to terms with her ability and masters it. Using it for trivial things such as getting extra time at karaoke or doing better on a test. However when affairs of the heart rear their head and she uses her power to deal with that, things start to get complicated. Because even the most minor action can have big consequences.

And there's also the question of the strange mark on her arm. And where she got the ability from in the first place.

Not a lot of anime has a present day real world setting in which it's firmly grounded, but this most certainly does. There are no monsters with bug eyes on their tentacles or schoolgirls with big eyes as you might expect. All the characters are down to earth and believable. As is the setting. An ordinary city and home and school plus a busy street by a level crossing are all well depicted. The film is meant to be set in summer, and the tones of the colours for the backgrounds do convey that, along with the very occasional sound of insects.

This is initially a bit slow to get going, but once you get used to Makoto and she gets to grips with her ability, the film becomes very involving. Like many time travel films some scenes are played again and again and yet are different each time, and the viewer comes to anticipate certain moments as much as Makoto does.

All plot developments do arise firmly out of characters and their actions. One in particular likely to make you gasp as much as it makes Makoto.

There are many metaphors about time and how every moment is precious - best highlighted by a stunning scene of characters talking whilst time all around them is frozen - and how we should make the most of it. This, coupled with a subtle score that uses gentle piano music, makes it all haunting and rather beautiful.

A twelve certificate by virtue of a couple of very mild adult references, it's a very memorable movie and one that will live in your mind for a while.

The dvd has the following language and subtitle options:

Languages: Japanese, English.

Subtitles: English.

The only extras are a commentary from the director and some of the voice cast.

Plus trailers for five other movies: Four anime and one live action.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unfounded Concerns, 1 Dec 2009
Mr. D. M. Pimm (uk) - See all my reviews
So my ten-year-old son and I have worked our way through the Studio Ghibli movies and loved every one. So what to buy for his birthday?
Having read the reviews for The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, I figured it had to be worth a look.
And I wasn't mistaken: we were captivated! I was a little concerned that the plot might be too convoluted, or the themes too adult for my son, but I needn't have worried. (But for two mentions of 'j*rking off', it's entirely suitable for the younger viewer.)
My son immediately gave the movie ten out of ten, I had to pretend I had something in my eye, and we watched it again the following evening.
And now on to the Christmas shopping!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story, beautifully animated, 18 Aug 2008
I've just watched this in Japanese with English subtitles (so can't say anything about the quality of any future dub).

I suppose one might summarise the plot as "(Japanese) high school romance with time travel", except that might suggest its appeal would be limited to schoolgirl types - not so at all.

It's funny, occasionally quite moving, cleverly plotted and beautifully animated.
The characterisation is excellent.

This won SF awards in Japan, and I can easily see why.
Both I and my 11 year old son thought it was brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming coming-of-age fable, 27 Nov 2008
Rowena Hoseason "Hooligween" (Kernow, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This isn't a manga-monster movie. It's more like a heart-of-gold Disney tale which deals with the heartache of teenage development, illustrated with a clever sci-fi spin which allows the heroine to hop backwards in time. This means she can try to correct those horribly embarassing moments of adolescent life -- which sounds ideal, but...

...every action has a consequence, and light-hearted mucking around with the time-stream to score well in a school test, or to stay out late at the karaokee club morphs into a real threat towards her best friends' well-being, her own life, and the happiness of them all.
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is beautifully animated and cleverly plotted so you're not quite sure what the outcome will be. It leaps from 'frothy' to 'meaningful' very smoothly and avoids all the slushy sentimentality of Hollywood cartoons.
However the first third is quite slowly paced and it nearly lost my attention -- there was a lot of set up with the characters and background which dragged on for me. Once it hits half way however the film romps off and kept us guessing then right to the bittersweet end.

An ideal movie for anyone in their teenage years who's dealing with friendships that evolve into something more, and who maybe wishes they could have 'that moment' all over again to get it right next time! Charming viewing also for us older folk who want to re-live those moments, and remember how it feels for time to pass at a very different pace to the way it does in adult life.
8/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it now, seriously., 27 Jun 2009
Luke Carroll (Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This film contains such a broad spectrum of emotions. I actually had a copy of this a while ago but never got around to watching it properly; I just flicked through it to get the gist of it - only, I didn't get the gist of it at all. Each part of it is quite misleading to the over all feeling and flow of the story. Now, having watched it properly, I can see this.

When you start watching it, it's a lightly comic slice-of-life thing. You're introduced to the various characters, mainly the heroine Makoto, and it's easy to believe that the whole film will just be this nice, heart-warming school life drama. Without wanting to give too much away, this isn't the case and after a fairly long intro, the plot proper kicks in and you really start to appreciate the slow build-up and low-key presentation of the film so far; it really grounds the consequent sci-fi plot and helps it become the philosophical piece it is, rather than just a novel movie about a kid that can leap through time.

Much of the plot could have been brought about without the time travel element; for example, when Makoto learns of someone's feelings towards her but then leaps back to before the confession, the same effect could have been achieved by simply having her overhear the guy telling a friend that he likes her. The impressive thing is, though, the time travel never feels like a gimmick, never feels bolted on or superfluous to the plot. If she'd merely overheard and done nothing about it, it would have remained a simple drama; since she goes back to a time before the confession, something much more tragic and regrettable takes place.

This is just one of many leaps that Makoto makes to avoid things happening, some in the "oh no I burnt my toast!" magnitude, and others far more serious. Seeing her be flippant with her powers makes it all the more affecting when things get serious and she realises her powers aren't just a toy for her to play with. Like so many great anime films, it manages to be a powerful allegory and a potent drama at the same time, not sacrificing any quality for another.

The only faults I can think of are that, yes, it is a little slow to get started and this may put off some more impatient viewers. Really, don't be put off if you feel your interest lagging early on. Enjoy the light-hearted stuff for what it is and realise that it'll only add to the impact of the more serious stuff later. The second fault is similar to the first; it's a pacing issue. Once the plot has laid itself bare in front of you, when almost all the plot twists have, uh, twisted, the story slows right down and almost lets the tension and drama its created to this point slip away as it slightly flounders towards its climax. It's not a big deal, though, and to be honest, as long as your heart is still beating, you should be sufficiently adsorbed and enthralled by the end to not really care about a bit of bad pacing.

In case you're wondering, this is an anime that will appeal to all sorts of people, all genders, all ages, anime fans and people who still think of it as "those Chinese cartoons". The romance is very affecting without being tacky or self-important. It has positive messages but never gets anywhere near feeling preachy or pretentious. It effortlessly slides between comedy, drama, romance, sci-fi, philosophy, slice-of-life and, I guess, thriller, without you realising it's changing. Considering you can get it for just under the price of a packet of fags (at the time of this review), you'd literally be mad to miss it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept..., 22 Jan 2014
Would we want to be able to travel through time? Most likely the answer is "yes". An interesting film which highlights consequences of your actions.

Well worth buying in my humble opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 19 Jan 2014
I watched this three times within the first week of owning it. That's how much I loved it.

I really wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did, and honestly I only bought it because people seemed to rate it highly. It's safe to say at this point that my expectations were totally blown away. It's just wonderful in so many ways, and it's shot up to being one of my favourite films. Great characters, brilliant story, superb animation, yada yada. If you're into anime films at all, and you haven't watched it, then you really, really should. In fact...

...even if you're not really into anime films, you should probably give it a go. Because it's freakin' great. Go on, buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
It is a great anime that fulfilled all my expectations about time travel.
The characters are loveable and overall it is a great choice for movie night.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of our favourites, 21 Dec 2013
A. King (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
We love this film so much, although like many others from the same studio, you'll want to watch it more than once to really get all the details. But that's a plus in my book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fab!, 11 Mar 2009
gingerbread (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
I was in HMV (sorry Amazon) when I saw this film. I was wandering near the anime section, trying not to look too close (I'm a student and have no money) when this film just jumped out at me, and after a cursory glance I bought it.
I then watched it 5 times in the next two weeks. I raved about it to anyone that cared to listen and forced my family and friends to watch it (even those not interested in anime). I e-mailed friends at other unis, having to make up words such as 'fabtastical' to explain its awesomeness. They loved it, I love it. Buy it.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time [Blu-ray]
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time [Blu-ray] by Mamoru Hosoda (Blu-ray - 2011)
6.82