1,181
Format: Accessory|Change

on 22 May 2011
The Logitech Trackman has returned... and it's awesome.

I've always loved the Logitech Trackman range. I've worn out several over the years. I did try the original wireless version but the battery life was awful and the transmission range was pathetic to say the least. Thankfully this version has solved both these faults to mind blowing levels. A battery that lasts over a year. What's not to like.

The input accuracy feels higher too. Smooth pixel perfect selection is now a breeze. The extra two buttons are just about right as well.

Basically it's a Trackman Wheel... but a more refined version. The original was my favourite input device since it changed from the flatter cream coloured version to the grey version. This latest version though is utterly perfect and I will be buying others to replace on my other computers as well.

A+++++ (as in BUY IT IF YOU LOVE TRACKBALLS)
11 comment| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2011
I already own a corded Logitech trackball which I use with my desk top PC and wanted a wireless one for my laptop.
Although this product was not cheap it looked like it was the best on the market.
I have now had this item for about 8 weeks and it is just so comfortable to use, I am extremely happy with it and would recommend it to anyone considering purchasing a wireless trackball.
on 8 December 2010
I was recommended to use a trackball mouse after visiting my physio with muscle pains in my upper right arm. This may well have been due to constant use of a normal mouse at my PC every day. Tried a friend's trackball mouse with the ball on top, operated with a finger, and did not find it too comfortable. Saw the M570, and although not actually confimed in the product description, assumed the ball was operated by the thumb. I was immediately comfortable using it, and although stange at first I am rapidly becoming very adept at controlling the cursor with my thumb. It is really comfortable and I wish I had tried this before! It is very noticeable that my right arm is not having to move all the time, and I feel that this will be great for my muscle problem. I assume this will also be the case if you suffer from RSI. A bonus is that the wireless USB dongle is tiny and unobtrusive on my laptop. Great product!
11 comment| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 October 2014
Like many other people this trackball works just fine for a year and then the left button starts giving a double-click instead of a single-click.

The solution supplied by Logitech to remove the battery (leaving the trackball still turned on) and clicking both buttons for 30 seconds or more doesn't work.

Logitech used to make quality products but it would seem that they have now gone for cheaper parts and therefore reduced the quality.

Great trackball but not worth it in the end as if you buy one, sooner or later, it will develop the same fault.
44 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 September 2011
Okay so when I took this out the box (which was shipped lightning fast by the way!!) It was neatly packaged in Logitech's original box. It was unopened.
I immediately took it out and spun the ball around to which I was met with a grinding sound like there was sand inside the rollers. This noise wears off in a few hours of use as I guess it just the new plastic it then becomes silent and glides amazingly well.
It feels very plasticy when you lift it up and the ball rattles around. However when you have it on your desk as you are meant to. It is comfortable, solid and it looks great too!
As soon as you plug the mini usb transmitter in it will install and you can use the mouse straight away. It took my about 30 minutes of use to get efficient with it but after that, it is a joy to use.
You can take the blue ball out to clean it, my tip would be to polish the ball with furniture polish or something like that as it makes it even smoother!!!

I think it is a little pricey for what you get BUT logitech are the only decent manufacture of trackballs so they can charge what they like!!

Overall I am 100% satisfied with this product and would recommend it to anyone even if you haven't used one before.

Take the plunge into the world of the trackball!!

Thanks Logitech & Amazon.
44 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 June 2011
I bought this to replace an ageing wired Logitech trackball. I was very sceptical about trying a wireless device but decided to give this one a go.

So far I've been impressed. Precise and light weight, this trackball is very responsive. I've barely noticed the "lack of wires" though I do notice a little lag when Windows first boots before it "catches" the trackball.

Software is neat and effective although I would suggest that this device is strictly for right handers. It offers some customisation but not as extensive as I would expected for example the back and forward buttons are locked. I would have liked if I could vary them even just to switch the two around.

The unifying software is less polished, in my opinion. It seems to present itself as a very large software package when it only seems to show you which devices are connected. If you've already connected (which happens automatically if you follow the instruction in the trackball packaging) the Unifying software offers even less.

Still ignore the Unifying software stick with Setpoint, discard the wire and enjoy a precise breath of trackball fresh air!
on 19 February 2011
I have been using trackballs for many years and this is one of the best. It has a very smooth action on the ball, and the scroll wheel has a positive feel. Some reviews mentioned an irritating squeak when using the scroll wheel but I have not experienced this. The wireless receiver is very small and is what should have been used on Logitech products previously (it was fairly idiotic to produce a wireless device and then stick the receiver on the end of a 500mm cord). Reception is good. The trackball fits the hand nicely and it's light. Would / will buy another if this one fails. The only drawback is the price - but having used cheaper versions in the past it's worth spending the money to get a decent product.
on 7 February 2011
Have arthritis so using a normal mouse I soon had painful wrists. This is great it sits in one place just use your thumb to send cursor anywhere. Good for anyone my wife has small hands while I have shovel size and it's easy for both of us
on 5 August 2011
I currently have a Trackman Wheel (the one with the red marble ball) but wanted a second so that i didn't need to keep bringing one between home and work. Sadly they have a tendency to go out of stock now and again and as i was a little impatient i thought i'd fork out the extra money for the M570 and see how it went.

Its great!! The ball feels a lot tighter than the older model (that's what she said) which has resulted in a more consistent amount of friction over time. I don't find myself needing to clean it as much to get it back to its normal smoothness. I don't make use of the two additional buttons at the minute (by default they seem to go back and forward in web pages) but i'm sure i'll find a use for them at some point.

I've been assured by a friend that it isn't a battery eating machine but considering it only takes 1 x AA battery it wouldn't be the end of the world if it did.

Essentially what I'm saying is that if you need a new mouse then the M570 definitely warrants a look in but if you already have a Trackman Wheel then upgrading isn't a necessity.
on 21 March 2011
Having owned and used Sony lap-tops for the past six years, I haven't had much need for a mouse - or so I thought.

My first PC was a clunking great thing, purchased from PC World sometime circa. 1999, and sold complete with a 2BUPM (two-button, universal plastic mouse). At some stage during my ownership, I purchased a Logitech trackball, and it was a revelation. However, as stated I switched to lap-tops around 2005, and I couldn't be bothered carrying the trackball from room to room and it was all but forgotten about - until a recent house-move, when it was thrown in the bin (for reasons not really understood).

Now I find myself working from home (mainly using spread-sheet and accounting software), my lap-top moves around much less than previously, and I have an organised and functional office. My 17" lap-top has become the 'desk-top' replacement as originally purchased and, being a two-fingered typist, I noticed that the ends of a couple of fingers were getting sore from tapping on the touch-pad. Time to get out the mouse; oh-no, I've thrown it away!

As usual, my search started with Amazon.co.uk, and I found this little bundle of joy: Logitech Wireless Trackball M570. Unfortunately I've had to buy it through a third-party supplier (who, credit where credit is due were very efficient, and the price was less than RRP). I say 'unfortunately' because Amazon would undoubtedly have sold it for even less. I waited almost two weeks hoping Amazon would take the hint that it was sitting in my shopping basket; but no.

It is better than the original trackball in that
i) it's wireless
ii) the transceiver protrudes about 6mm from the USB port
iii) it has a scroll wheel, a thumb-operated trackball which allows the screen cursor to buzz around like a mosquito on heat , the usual left/right buttons, and an additional two buttons (also thumb-operated) that, as standard, control back and forward web-page movement
iv) all buttons are, apparently, programmable. I have not yet tested this feature
v) the mouse has an internal storage slot for the transceiver (when not in use)
vi) it's a lovely metallic dark-grey, which matches my VAIO perfectly (and the contrasting deep turquoise ball is pretty neat)
vii) it can occupy a fixed space on the desk, arm of a chair, or your lap-top wrist-rest if required because there isn't any need to keep wiggling it about
viii) you only need one transceiver for multiple Logitech wireless devices
ix) it has an on/off switch on the underside (possibly to preserve battery life) but a little green indicator light which illuminates when I first use it after a short period of downtime would suggest it may have an automatic sleep mode also (there is an online manual available from Logitech, but I haven't read it yet)

I love it, and I hope not to throw this one away in a hurry. I can't yet comment on durability or battery life having owned it for less than a week, but it did come ready to roll with a Duracell battery installed.

Excuse me, but I have to go 'Unify' my Logitech K350 wireless keyboard.