5.0 out of 5 stars Thought I wouldn't like it...because of the cover
Sherwood Smith's book, though with a cringe-worthy title and a cover that did not (and still doesn't) appeal to me at all, is actually a really awesome read. The plot: Princess Rhis is invited to a party for the prince of Vesarja. Of course, once she arrives her hope for romance is rocked by the events that take place.

Uh, yeah. My summary is pretty terrible,...
Published on 12 Nov 2008 by Audrey

2.0 out of 5 stars Plodding along
Have not yet finished this - hope I make it! Disguising American teens as princesses just doesn't work for me. I know the heroine/writer is supposed to be sixteen, but the book itself reads like something a girl of that age might have written as a wish fantasy - not very appealing to an international audience. Couldn't recommend it to anyone.
Published 3 months ago by Livia

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought I wouldn't like it...because of the cover, 12 Nov 2008
This review is from: A Posse of Princesses (Paperback)

Uh, yeah. My summary is pretty terrible, especially in comparison to the story itself (apologies). But don't worry, I plan to give nothing important--plotwise--away. I really enjoyed this book. It's fun, entertaining, funny, and just an all-around good read. There's also a little lesson thrown in about outward appearances, which is a definite plus.

The main character--as well as all of the characters--is very likable, which isn't always the case in stories. And, here's another bonus, she is also three-dimensional, with flaws, fears, sympathies, and a lot of heart. Rhis and the other female and male characters that are encountered along the way are also strong characters, and not just personality-wise but with the way in which they conduct themselves. I enjoyed the conversations, the adventure (which, there is...don't worry), and the relationships. One thing that I give extra credit to the author for is that the main character is not only likable, her behavior is also honorable; she is a character that deserves respect (not something often seen). This story that contains strong female characters as well, and is definitely not one where they need to be saved. They take care of themselves (even better).

That all aside, I loved this story. And I'm being very vague plot-wise because I always think it's better to go in knowing as little about the story as possible. Now, this is not a perfect book, and although I loved it, I will note the things I did not like.
I believed one character to be quite older than she actually was, and later learned that her age had been eleven. (I don't remember her age being given beforehand--negligence on my part?--but this altered her character for me.)
The huge twist is not so huge; I pretty much had it figured out from the beginning and kept thinking, okay, you can tell me now. (Even though I've actually seen this same plot twist many times, I did still enjoy it. But...not surprising.)
Also, the very end half was rushed. I felt like the minor characters who had been brought in were abruptly cast aside and the story was shoved forward so that it could end, and this really did not seem to go with the rest of the story. This is probably the most disappointing thing, that the end was not written as well as the rest of the story. I am almost tempted to rate the book less just because of this.

Altogether, these complaints are all pretty minor. This is an excellent story. I know, look past the cover...and the title...I felt a little embarrassed when my sister saw me with this book and asked what it was called...And, of course, don't be embarrassed to pick it up, because you'd be missing something. If you enjoy fantasy, small romances, adventure, or just want something to pass the time with, try it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A YA novel that's also enjoyable for adults like me!, 28 Mar 2008
M. Brinkley "Maggie the old trout" (Hoddesdon, Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Posse of Princesses (Hardcover)
In fairy-tales such as 'The Twelve Dancing Princesses,' the hero has to rescue one (or more) Princess before he can earn the hand of the king's daughter and half of his kingdom. That isn't quite what happens in this book! Yes, there are Princesses, and dances, and a devastatingly handsome prince, and an elegant royal court. These Princesses - and especially Rhis, who quite naturally falls in love with the gorgeous Prince as soon as she sees him - aren't going to sit around like wallflowers at a ball when trouble appears. Oh, no! If there's any rescuing to be done, they'll do it themselves!

This book may be aimed at Young Adult girls - who will enjoy it enormously, I assure you as an ex-librarian - but there are twists and riffs on the traditional kind of tale that will have more experienced fantasy readers laughing with glee. It is a clever, affectionate story, and the characters are most attractive. I recommend it most highly, especially to those who like fantasy 'novels of manners' such as those by Ellen Kushner and Delia Sherman.

The cover, too, is lovely!

5.0 out of 5 stars Princesses are not Pansies, 28 April 2011
This review is from: A Posse of Princesses (Kindle Edition)
Sherwood Smith is one of my favourite authors and this book is why. This book first deal with oppression of being a princess and being told how to act, what to like, and to not be yourself. The main character Rhis is an exception of course and has found herself a place to hide and develop away from parents and her brother's wife. The book continually deals with misconceptions of characters and nearly every character gets judged then proven different in one way or another. Overall really enjoyable and the whole style changes gradually throughout adding all sorts of fantasy aspects, really good for a person who does not like princess books, but would like to read one that does not make you, want to slap the main character.
Try it out and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did xx

2.0 out of 5 stars Plodding along, 26 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A Posse of Princesses., 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Posse of Princesses (Paperback)
This was a gift so I don't know much about it. But I do know that the recipient was delighted with it so if this is your thing you'll love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT book, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: A Posse of Princesses (Kindle Edition)
I really loved this book and don't let the cringy title mislead you. Although I felt it was a rushed ending, I thought that every thing else was brilliant. The characters are likeable and for once the women are not portrayed as weak. On the contrary, they are strong and more than happy to fight for themselves. I won't say any plot spoilers as that would ruin it for you. However I will say that it is a fabulous light hearted story of true love and self discovery.

A Posse of Princesses