on 18 September 2011
We upgraded from a senseo machine after having a coffee from a friends machine.

As coffee lovers, the senseo produced good coffee only sometimes and I was fed up paying for pods and only getting good coffee half of the time.

This is our luxury item and we love it. If you want anything other than a shot of espresso, you need to use 2 pods for an average cup of decent coffee, so factor that into your decision to purchase.

We picked this machine as it has the milk frother and it does exactly what it says on the tin. Press a button, approx 30 seconds later, hot very frothy milk is produced to add to your piping hot coffee. The milk does need to be poured as soon as it has finished frothing, otherwise you are left with 2 separate layers of un-frothed milk and froth.

We have been pleasantly surprised at the temperature of the coffee and milk after some of the reviews and we have never found it to be too cold.

There are 17 coffees to choose from via the nespresso site and if you order 200, delivery is free (£4.95 for 50 - 150). It may seem excessive, but each pack of 10 is between £2.90 and £3.30 and I have found nowhere cheaper than the nespresso official site. They have a pod recycling service where you get bags, fill them with used pods and leave them out for collection when your next delivery is due so you don't have to worry about disposing of the pods.

This was a big purchase for us and after 6 weeks, we have absolutely no regrets. It looks great, every single cup comes out the same and once you decide on your personal choice of coffee pod, you can enjoy the same cup of decent coffee every day for a fraction of a cup from a coffee shop. (Personally, I use a Fortissio Lungo - strength 7 and a Arpeggio - strength 9 all topped up with frothy milk).
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 November 2014
Makes great coffee (hot or cold), easy to use and maintain, and looks good in the kitchen. Gets lots of comments from coffee-loving guests.

As a bit of a caffeine addict, a home coffee machine was a nice treat to myself, especially with one of the frequent cashback offers (look out for them.) I received a £75 voucher to use against coffee capsules within 6 months.

I previously had a bosch tassimo machine, which was rubbish in comparison (unreliable, coffee not as good, used long-life milk).

As others have noted, the best aspect of the machine is the milk frother. My only concern with this was how easy it would be to clean. It's actually pretty easy, mostly just needs a rinse with hot water and a wipe with a sponge if there's any stubborn milk residue.
on 25 November 2012
I finally broke down and decided to give one of these a try. As an American ex-patriot living in the UK, coffee has always been a challenge. I have a difficult time understanding how a culture which is so picky about tea can consider a couple brown granules dowsed in boiling water a proper cup of coffee. The first option was a Gaggia pumper which mysteriously gave up the ghost after a baby sitter used it. Then grinding my own and using the plunge pot became tiresome. I figured one of the capsule gadgets would be worth a try, even if the coffee is a bit pricey. This machine does the job with one caveat. The milk canister quit working within two weeks. A little online research showed this is not uncommon. The good news is quick response given by the service department. After identifying the date of purchase, etc, a courier appeared at the door to collect the defunct froth/heating gadget and a brand new one appeared a couple of days later. From the history I read online, I expect it to pack-up at some point but the warranty is good enough that it should take care of the problem. Otherwise, a machine that makes a very nice cup of coffee.
on 1 December 2013
This is my second Nespresso coffee maker my first being a Siemens which sadly gave up earlier this year. I toyed with buying a new machine and looked at the different options and was only swayed by the £70 gift offer which enabled me to buy this machine. This was definitely, for me, the best choice. I love the milk frothy, although I drink my coffee black, occasionally I enjoy a cappuccino, latte or macchiato all which can be made with this machine. It is also an option for your guests. The frother is easy to clean and the only downside is that you can only make 1 cup at a time but it is quick and half a dozen cups can be made in less than ten minutes. There is no on off switch but the machine turns off automatically and to turn on you just press the coffee button. This is an improvement on my old machine as I often left it on overnight. Other reviews stated about overflowing milk I have only filled it to the maximum line and had no problems. It's easy to clean and sits neatly on my worktop. The coffee is not expensive for the quality and you have a large choice. There are Christmas special which I love like Vanilla and other specials throughout the year. I would recommend that you use only Nespresso capsules as I believe using the compatible capsules is what actually damaged my machine, also the quality was not good.
on 20 October 2010
fantastic coffee making machine does exactly what it says on the tin so to speak . would love to b able to pop down to the shop to pick up more pods instead of ordering them on line but thats only a small thing and should not put you off.its a great product and i would recomend it to anyone
on 23 October 2010
This is the third Nespresso machine I have purchased, friends like the coffee so much I end up buying them one for Wedding or Christmas presents!

This system must be one of the cleverest marketing themes ever. Nespresso supply great fresh coffee in the form of aluminium capsules. These simply pop into the machine, press the button and Hey Presto...coffee made. No hassle, good coffee, no mess!

Only possible downside is you end up drinking much,much more coffee!!

There are around 16 regular blends of varying strengths to choose from and they also come up with limited editions...and a glossy magazine if you join the 'Espresso club'

Capsules mostly available from Nespresso direct and cost of each order is a bit of a hit if compared to beans or ground coffee. @ 27p - 31p per capsule, a large cup needs two. I usually end up buying three hundred at a time...2 -3 times a year. Over three years it would probably be more economical to buy one of the all singing all dancing bean to cup machines which also make great coffee.

Conclusion: For a modest initial outlay, a neat clean system which makes a good coffee.
on 22 September 2010
Bought this from amazon at £152 instead of £200 from John Lewis or House of Fraser and it arrived in 2 days! Very happy with set up. Makes very good coffee. The pods are simple to use, you just pop one in the top, and press a button. The Milk frother is definately worth getting as you can whip milk into froth & foam in 30s to make your own lattes etc. The unit looks fab on the kitchen worktop and cleaning is simple. Havent yet ordered any new pods but after having it for 2 days, well pleased with the product. The coffee that came out was also piping hot so not sure about comments from others that the coffee isnt hot enough...Overall thoroughly recommended! They came out with a Titanium/silver coloured version but that was £220 from other retailers...
on 17 January 2015
Makes a fantastic cup of coffee and the machine is well made and easy to clean, looks pretty good too. As others have said, I would like the coffee to be hotter but put boiling water in the reservoir and hot water in the cups (to warm them) before making the coffee solves that problem, BUT shouldn't have to do that, hence 4 stars and not 5. The milk warmer and frother works really well. Join the Nespresso club and ordering the capsules couldn't be easier. I also ordered a rotating capsule holder as well that looks good alongside the machine.
review image
on 4 April 2016
Coffee. One of life's simple pleasures and something that has become more and more fashionable. Back in the 80's you might have been considered a yuppie to down an espresso while fingering your Filofax but now most town centres are over populated with coffee houses offering the finest in Colombian export. I have never been very keen on visiting these places as prices can be somewhat uninviting. However, I do love a good caffeine treat at some point of the day.
George Clooney; what a guy. If anyone can advertise a product and make you buy it this guy can do it. I was never a big lover of ER but Oceans Eleven.... What a film! Oceans twelve lived up to the hype but Oceans thirteen was mediocre at best. Where Clooney gained the male audience after capturing female adoration in ER was 'From Dusk till Dawn'. The bloodshed, the tattoos, the guns and Tarantino as a brother... What more could you ask for?
Anyway, the reason I bought this coffee machine was I love the colour red.
on 17 November 2014
Just fabulous. If I had one criticism, and it really isn't much, the drip tray should be handled with care as it is easy to spill when taking out to empty it. As far as coffee making is concerned it is quick, easy, both with or without milk, and the choice of coffee is never ending. The milk can either be frothed or just heated, it's amazing, why didn't we buy one sooner?