on 26 March 2013
This DVD has three episodes, focusing on Indonesian wildlife and culture. There is more culture featured than I expected but it is interesting nonetheless. I have watched a GREAT number of wildlife documentaries and this featured a number of things I had not seen in such detail before and some I had not seen at all, in particular many of the cultural aspects. The narrator is a woman with a Scottish accent - this took a little while to adjust to as I am so used to Attenborough but I did not find her intrusive or irritating as some narrators can be.
The first episode is a general overview of the islands, the second covers their influences and how they came to be in their current state and the third is a focus on Sulawesi and how different it is to the rest of the islands. The film quality is not bad; rather it appears to be lower quality because nowadays we are spoilt by the excellent image quality of series such as those of David Attenborough and the BBC. The program was made in the nineties and therefore reflects the image quality of the time. I soon adjusted to it after my initial surprise and it did not bother me.
All in all a revealing and interesting mini-series on this region and I enjoyed watching it. To me it was worth the money -£3.50 - as it covered things rarely seen and was slightly different to the norm.
on 26 August 2014
I was a bit disappointed with this documentary as I found that there was too much detail which seemed to be repeated with each island under discussion. This is probably a very personal opinion as I have read other reviews highly praising the DVD. I should imagine that if one has a keen interest and knowledge of the subject matter, the documentary would please! My preference is for more scenic photography (there were some exceptional scenes, but not enough in my opinion). Probably less animals eating and less cultural scenes of the islanders would have got a four star rating from me! Sorry!
on 11 April 2013
Just buy this film as its very educational, colourful and splendid, especialy the rare tiger footage up close. It took a film crew many years to make this DVD, there are many underwater scenes as well as the many island they visit. Also there is some great footage of rare animals one would expect from far away places...
on 7 February 2013
I am a great fan of good wildlife DVDs and already own a large collection but I was unaware of this one until I saw it on Amazon.I read other reviews and decided to send for it although I always thought NG were not a match for our own BBC and the legendary Attenburgh. I found it spectacular,and very informative,some of the scenery and animal scenes were breathtaking, I have no doubt I will view this DVD again and again and would recommend it to anyone with an interest in elusive wildlife.
on 13 September 2014
National Geographic have done it again with this DVD as they have with "Wild India" - a three part series of over two and a half hours running time- and featuring my favourite big cat - the beautiful Tiger. Ordered and received in four days with wonderful wild life and classic photography and you have to double check the price to make sure it is right - £4. 72p - a gift.
on 15 October 2013
After reading other reviews I was somewhat disappointed. Too much repitition and some grainy film quality. The narrator's voice overshadowed original sound in many instances.
on 18 December 2014
Good product; high class photography to hold the attention of the viewer. Informative; a good buy.
on 4 September 2014
Very good DVD, interesting facts about the animals and the country
on 12 March 2015
All the Wild Series leave my husband in awe of Creation.
on 4 April 2015