4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting focus on Indonesia

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing
Published 3 months ago by Rose

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting focus on Indonesia, 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: National Geographic - Wild Indonesia [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD has three episodes, focusing on Indonesian wildlife and culture. There is more culture featured than I expected but it is interesting nonetheless. I have watched a GREAT number of wildlife documentaries and this featured a number of things I had not seen in such detail before and some I had not seen at all, in particular many of the cultural aspects. The narrator is a woman with a Scottish accent - this took a little while to adjust to as I am so used to Attenborough but I did not find her intrusive or irritating as some narrators can be.
The first episode is a general overview of the islands, the second covers their influences and how they came to be in their current state and the third is a focus on Sulawesi and how different it is to the rest of the islands. The film quality is not bad; rather it appears to be lower quality because nowadays we are spoilt by the excellent image quality of series such as those of David Attenborough and the BBC. The program was made in the nineties and therefore reflects the image quality of the time. I soon adjusted to it after my initial surprise and it did not bother me.
All in all a revealing and interesting mini-series on this region and I enjoyed watching it. To me it was worth the money -£3.50 - as it covered things rarely seen and was slightly different to the norm.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT..., 11 April 2013
This review is from: National Geographic - Wild Indonesia [DVD] (DVD)
Just buy this film as its very educational, colourful and splendid, especialy the rare tiger footage up close. It took a film crew many years to make this DVD, there are many underwater scenes as well as the many island they visit. Also there is some great footage of rare animals one would expect from far away places...

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 26 Aug 2014
Rose (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: National Geographic - Wild Indonesia [DVD] (DVD)
I was a bit disappointed with this documentary as I found that there was too much detail which seemed to be repeated with each island under discussion. This is probably a very personal opinion as I have read other reviews highly praising the DVD. I should imagine that if one has a keen interest and knowledge of the subject matter, the documentary would please! My preference is for more scenic photography (there were some exceptional scenes, but not enough in my opinion). Probably less animals eating and less cultural scenes of the islanders would have got a four star rating from me! Sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... and a half hours running time- and featuring my favourite big cat - the beautiful Tiger, 13 Sep 2014
This review is from: National Geographic - Wild Indonesia [DVD] (DVD)
National Geographic have done it again with this DVD as they have with "Wild India" - a three part series of over two and a half hours running time- and featuring my favourite big cat - the beautiful Tiger. Ordered and received in four days with wonderful wild life and classic photography and you have to double check the price to make sure it is right - £4. 72p - a gift.

4.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Pressy for dad, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: National Geographic - Wild Indonesia [DVD] (DVD)
This is just the sort of DVD for my dad and his love of the the natural world.
Very suitable and just the ticket
My dad thinks its great

5.0 out of 5 stars National Geographic at its best, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: National Geographic - Wild Indonesia [DVD] (DVD)
This is a fantastic purchase and is a must for anyone who loves wildlife documentaries. It is full of interesting facts and a wide variety of wildlife. A great watch!

5.0 out of 5 stars great tigers docu, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: National Geographic - Wild Indonesia [DVD] (DVD)
fantastic docu of the plight of the indonesian tigers ,lovely settings anf full of important facts,was very cheap and worth every penny ,if you like wildlife you'll love this

3.0 out of 5 stars O.K, 15 Oct 2013
John W. Stephens "john" (Maclean NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: National Geographic - Wild Indonesia [DVD] (DVD)
After reading other reviews I was somewhat disappointed. Too much repitition and some grainy film quality. The narrator's voice overshadowed original sound in many instances.

5.0 out of 5 stars educational, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: National Geographic - Wild Indonesia [DVD] (DVD)
Same as all other documentary DVD's that i purchase. Anything that gives an insight of the way life goes on in other parts of the world is of interest.

5.0 out of 5 stars National Geographical Soc. DVD is as good as Usual, 12 April 2013
This review is from: National Geographic - Wild Indonesia [DVD] (DVD)
As I love Nature programmes and big cats and lovely scenery this is a high scorer for me. The photography is outstanding.

National Geographic - Wild Indonesia [DVD]