5.0 out of 5 stars Raffypoppy, 31 Oct 2010
S. Cosyns "POPPY" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blurry Blue Mountain (Audio CD)
Completely disagree with some of the comments. This album might not amaze at first but give it time and some of Howe Gelb's most brilliantly atmospheric sonic landscapes are revealed. Every bit as good as ProVisions, Howe's lyrics, in particular, are more focussed than at any time during the 25years of Giant Sand. Indie rock/folk/country with a jazzy twist. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disagreement, 29 Oct 2010
This review is from: Blurry Blue Mountain (Audio CD)
Just seen the first review of this above. Must say i completely disagree. Yes the album on first listen seems to lack a spark but keep on going and you will realise this is actually as fresh as Giant Sand have sounded in a while. If you listen to tracks like Ride the Rail and Better man than me these really hark back to the classic Giant Sand of the early to mid nineties.

It is a subtle album but once you take the time to listen to it's curious ways it will grow on you. I recommend it highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a grower !, 4 Jan 2011
This review is from: Blurry Blue Mountain (Audio CD)
I didn't quite get it when I first listened to this album. I am a big Giant Sand fan and on first play I thought this was simply OK, no real stand out tracks, a bit too laid back (with the exception of Thin line man and Brand New Swamp Thing)and overall nothing much to write home about.

After repeated listening however I now think this is one of the top 3 albums they have produced. It certainly feels like Howe is taking time to look back rather than forward but it is none the worse for that. "Monks mountain" and "Ride the rail" are standout tracks but in truth only "Love a loser" and "Time Flies" fail to match the fantastic quality of the rest of the tracks. Twelve crackers and two fillers ain't too bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Giant Sand, 6 Jun 2014
Damien J. Plant (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blurry Blue Mountain (Audio CD)
If you can say such a thing. I love Howe Gelb's style and will be going to see him on his Oct tour (tip). Many will have started with Tucson and if you liked that then I'd recommend this to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a nice Giant sand Album, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: Blurry Blue Mountain (Audio CD)
The first song is absolutely brilliant alone. Like other giant sand albums you'll learn to love other songs however long it takes. I'm glad to have this album,

4.0 out of 5 stars Take back what I said, 30 Oct 2010
This review is from: Blurry Blue Mountain (Audio CD)
I've given the cd a few more listens since I sent my (rather disparaging) review. Well, I've changed my mind: it's a grower, like one reviewer said, and is full of little surprises once you dig a little deeper. Sorry if I misled anyone!

Blurry Blue Mountain
Blurry Blue Mountain by Giant Sand (Audio CD - 2012)