4.0 out of 5 stars pro (but) amateur
you've all read many different reviews about this camera.... i'll try to clear up some gray areas...

Q1. does this camera, due to it's fixed mirror which according to Sony absorbs 30% of incoming light, require SLOWER shutter speeds for the same photo at same ISO/Aperture/Metering mode/Focus Spot compared to a conventional D-SLR?

A1. (based on my own...
Published on 20 Jan 2011 by Christos Vladenidis

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay clear of any 2nd hand A55 (and seller amazitune)
A warning not to buy a 2nd hand A55, having bought one from seller amazitune it lasted almost a month before stopping working. Of course as you only have 2 weeks to make a claim I am left with a £200 paperweight. Looking on the internet a number of people are now finding their A55 stops working so I assume that some part of it fails after a few years of use. If you get...
Published 4 months ago by F. McLean-Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars pro (but) amateur, 20 Jan 2011
This review is from: Sony Alpha SLTA55VL.CEH Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens (Electronics)

A1. (based on my own tests with a sony a330). NO! a330 and a55 shoot at same speeds exactly.

Q2. Are new sony a33/55 cameras INCOMPATIBLE with Sigma A-mount lenses not specifically labeled "a33/55 compatible"?

A2. Sigma themselves have publicly acknowledged that Sigma lenses purchased prior to a33/55 release may have occasional incompatibility issues. Sigma also offers a free fix/replace scheme. The problem will appear occasionaly and when it happens a33/55 will be unable to close the lens aperture properly. The user will be notified by an error message. Shutting down the camera and unmounting/mounting the lens in MF mode is supposed to temporarily cure the problem which might randomly occur again at some point. Some users suggest that if one always changes (mounts/unmounts) Sigma lenses with the camera shut off and in MF mode, the problem will never appear (user can switch to AF after the lens has been mounted). I own a 1 year old Sigma lens (Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro), so far i didnt even follow the "MF method" and despite frequent use of my Sigma, i havent seen any malfunction.... Newer Sigma lenses will be fully a33/55 compatible and a sticker on the lens box will clarify that.....

Q3. Is this camera PRO, AMATEUR, Entry Level or what?

A3. Sony's own adverts/price tag and expert reviewers place both a33 and a55 cameras in the amateur sector. The main reason for this is that no 2/3 sensor camera can be considered "pro" as this title is reserved for cameras with sensors 100% the size of old 35mm films. Other reasons why these are not PRO cameras include image quality, noise reduction quality etc. Some reviewers classify a33/a55 as entry level SLRs, meant for people who never before owned an SLR camera. I disagree with that. First of all both cameras provide features not present in entry level SLRs, namely: (a) D.O.F button, (b)highly customisable WB menu (including Kelvin selection, WB +/- fine tuning, as well as custom, presets etc), (c) Auto Focus point selection, (d) Exposure Lock as well as focus lock, ability to release shutter without lens (which is usefull with older/incompatible lenses), HDR photos, phased autofocus, large image buffer to accomodate multiple FPS modes and more. Image quality and detail is equally worse than PRO but far better than "entry level" SLRs and the built in flash is also better than that of an entry level slr...

Q4. Is sony a33/a55 battery performace so bad as some reviewers suggest.

A4. The battery indeed doesnt last long enough. If you intend to shoot for hours with flash etc you simply need extra batteries. You can try "compatible" batteries at your own risk ( most often the risk you will take is that the non original batteries will (a) not display their percentage properly and (b) will last even less than the originals) or buy an extra original battery but you wont avoid spending some more money for an extra battery in my opinion.

Q5. What with the dirt issue...?

A5. All DSLRs suffer from a known/accepted by the manufacturers but yet not fully tackled problem of dirt accumulating on their sensors. Old SLRs didnt suffer from that since each film was only used once but DSLRs rely on the same sensor for many years of service and dirt/ tiny droplets will eventually reach the sensor during lens change.... SLTs (a33/a55 at the moment) add a 2nd problem since photos taken with these cameras will potentially suffer not only from dirt on the sensor but also from dirt on the fixed mirror. So far a camera sensor could be cleaned by (a) camera's built in vibration method, (b) a "monster" blower (c) an antistatic "sensor pen", (d) a mini "vacuum cleaner" or (e) a "wet method" whereby a special solvent was applied to a lint free cloth with which the sensor was then scrubbed. Usually a blower should be enough for dirt while the more dangerous and officially prohibited "wet method" was used in case of sensors contaminated with droplets of (sea) water, oil etc... To make things worse, Sony "implies" in the camera manual that the mirror is actually much more delicate than the sensor and therefore the more "dangerous" cleaning methods applicable to the sensor would irreparably damage the mirror. Very few comments currently exist as to how to clean the mirror. I speculate that a blower wouldn't damage the mirror but no wet method recommended for it has been supplied so far. So yes removing droplets from the mirror at the moment may prove impossible without sending the camera to a repair station....

finally Q6. WHO SHOULD BUY a33/a55

A6: Any1 who does not have an SLR camera or has an SLR camera with less features than those provided by these 2 cameras. Simple as that.... Personally i upgraded from a sony a330 and yes i have not regreted my decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shorten the odds, 31 Jan 2011
Spent ages writing a long review, then thought what's the point. It's a great camera, I've used loads of digital cameras and the is my favourite (Pentax K10D was a good camera to, as was the Canon G11). Basically the features increase my chances of getting a good photo. I have found that I can press the button once and get a great photo because the technology just works. And if I want to blast away at 10fps, I can. I would suggest adding this to your list before buying Nikon/Canon/Pentax. They are all great but I liked this one the best. The main contender in my view is the Canon 550D, although those Pentax's look good too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The camera I always wanted, 26 Mar 2011
Sony apparently has really cracked the market wide open with their SLT cameras (currently the A33 and A55, but a rumoured A77 on the way as well), as these devices have been selling extremely well since their launch. Taking their inspiration from Canon, Sony made the translucent mirror design work very nicely thanks to the many technological improvements of the digital age. Of course, most DSLR/DSLT cameras in a given price brackets are nearly indistinguishable in their basic functions and quality these days, and manufacturers rely on buyer brand preference or history on the one hand, and peripheral functionality on the other hand, to cut up the market between them. What is so great about the Sony SLTs is that they offer a unique core feature instead of unique peripheral features: they're FAST! When switched to full burst mode, my A55 (with a fast but cheap 32 GB SD card from Amazon) really does shoot 10 frames per second for quite a while, sounding like a machine gun as the shutter goes through its continuous motions. A nice touch is that this feature alone will wipe the smile off the faces of people who have invested more than twice the amount of money for higher end dSLRs for their speed increase; I've seen it happen twice now (Pentax owner and Nikon owner), and it is rather priceless. Having said that, the higher-end DSLRs will handle certain detailed aspects of burst exposures a bit better, but for its price bracket, the A55 really is unbeatable!

As to image quality, the device performs beautifully; there's simply nothing to fault here: you get an amazing, fully functional camera that takes great pictures, and that makes it quite easy for beginners to use full manual settings effectively. High ISO settings are handled quite well (I routinely go up to ISO 800 without issues), and Sony's in-body stabilization (Steady Shot) really does give you about two f-stops extra on top of that. Best of all, in-body stabilization means you'll never need to shell out extra money for stabilized lenses (as Canon and Nikon will have you do). The kit lens is of course not perfect, but it's extremely good value for money, and will be perfectly suited to learn the ropes of SLR (or should I say SLT) photography, while serving you in a wide variety of situations. Over time, you can of course expand your lens portfolio based on what you want to spend and achieve. Full-featured as it is, the camera body will certainly not let you down as you start upgrading lenses! In fact, I'm quite confident that this camera will not feel outdated or feature-limited any time soon!

The built-in GPS feature is nifty, and I used it quite often already, but it does start eating away at the battery. Interestingly, if you connect the camera regularly to the computer to transfer images, the Sony software will automatically download and refresh GPS satellite location data to the camera, making GPS fixes fast and reliable (a trick akin to A-GPS on smartphones). A very nice touch there!

The electronic viewfinder has been the subject of some debate, with (d)SLR purists sometimes lashing out against it. Well, apart from the fact that it consumes more battery than an optical viewfinder (see below for battery life considerations), I really, really can not fault it. I actually think the viewfinder is one of the best bits on the camera; information hungry as I am, the viewfinder really gives you all you want and more, and is identicial to the LCD in any respect (interestingly, that also makes switching between viewfinder and LCD a breeze). In a nice nod to the information-obsessed user, customization of the display is display-specific, which means that you can set one type of display for the viewfinder, and another for the LCD, and the camera will remember this. While not that great for hand-held use, I can imagine that this makes tripod work very convenient; just change your view to change info, no button pressing necessary thanks to Sony's automatic detection of a face coming in close proximity to the body for viewfinder use. One example could be to have the built-in gyroscope display (showing you left-right and front-rear tilt much like in a fighter jet :)) on one display, and the exposure info on the other. The LCD display itself is great as well, by the way, and the ability to orient it as you see fit really comes in handy for those weird angles. I honestly didn't think I'd use this feature a lot, but to my surprise it came in very handy in quite a few shots already!

As to gripes, I have only one: with bells and whistles on (most importantly, GPS and stabilization), battery life is relatively short. If you're using it in anger, you can see the battery percent indicator go down approximately 1% per minute-and-a-half, and that's a bit scary. I ran the camera down twice already while out and about (also proves that I'm using it a lot, which I take to be a very good sign!), so I'll have to invest in a second battery soon (at 40+ pounds, that's almost a third of the cost of the Sony 50mm 1.8f prime lens I've been eyeballing), or will have to learn to live without the GPS feature. So if you care little about automatically adding GPS coordinates to your photos, I think your battery life will improve considerably.

I have already taken more than a thousand pictures with this camera over the few weeks I've had it, and they include some of the best photos I've ever taken. This really is the camera I've been waiting for (having postponed the purchase of a dSLR for years now!), and I can only very very highly recommend this wonderful device to anyone who wants to make the jump and go for a dSLR/T.

Summarized: right now, unless you have a very good reason to go for another brand, this is the camera to buy in this price bracket, hands down!

** Update, more than six months later: I have now taken over 5000 photos with this camera, and have had a chance to compare it to several competing dSLR cameras that friends own, and I have to say that I haven't regretted getting this camera for even a microsecond! A peculiar and very important advantage of this camera (and its siblings) that I did not understand fully at first, is that Sony's dSLT cameras make it so much easier to get your exposure just right, as they provide instant and perfect live viewing. With competing dSLRs from Canon, Nikon or Pentax, the threshold to getting a good photo is a lot higher. Typically, my photos compare very favourably with those taken by friends on their (often more expensive) dSLRs, simply because I got the shot just right. The secret is simple: my camera showed me exactly what I was getting before I pressed the shutter release, whereas my friends needed to make an educated guess. With a few additional lenses and filters, the creative possibilities of this device now seem even more limitless than before, and the device functions perfectly and reliably at every turn. Of course, if you have the cash, you may want to opt for the higher-priced and possibly even better a77, but personally I wouldn't need any of the extras offered by the more expensive models. The a55 is going to be my faithful companion for a long time to come!

5.0 out of 5 stars I was dubious but...., 8 Aug 2011
I was quite disillusioned with my old A300. It was ok...but I hated the fact I had to use CF cards. I hated how clacky it sounded and of course....no video mode. To top it off, my mates with Canon's/Nikon scoffed at me for buying Sony. I felt like i had a betamax camera!

So I went into my local store to see what the cost to change to Canon/Nikon would be. The guy convinced me to try the A55 given all it's features and I already had a couple of lenses. I only took the plunge because he said I could return it in 30 days if I didn't like it.

Now I'm just starting in the world of DSLR really. I used to leave it on auto mode practically all of the time. So at the time I bought it I have to say I was wasting the camera's potential. Still I loved it. The photos I took with the same lens was noticeably better than the A300 I had.

The 10fps burst mode is great when you want to take quirky action shots. It's arguably a bit TOO fast but hey, at least you have the option there! If you want the same features in a Canon/Nikon, you'd have to spend much more. Videos are clear and crisp. The only downside really was having to move to a electronic viewfinder. That said, its a cracking little viewfinder but I'd still on balance prefer an optical one if that were possible.

What I'd say is if you are after moving to a SLR then seriously consider Sony and this camera if it's in your budget. Yes yes, Canon/Nikon have more lenses blah blah but realistically how many will you buy? For the majority of people like me, we'll probably own the kit, a portrait lens & a zoom. Why pay more to be able to use lenses you will never want to buy?? between Sony & Tamron, you'll be able to get most lenses you will ever need.

I love this camera and my friends stopped mocking me as soon as they played with it. Sony are nipping at the heels of the other two players and the result is a cracking camera at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - a new era in SLR cameras?, 9 Jan 2011
G. Horsham (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wow, what a camera. The Sony Alpha SLTA55 is a new type of high spec SLR that uses "Translucent Mirror Technology" instead of a typical moving mirror (hence the SLT name). This enables rapid 16.2 megapixel pictures or even 10 frames per second HD videos to be shot. Included with this camera is an excellent 18-55mm lens.

I should start by saying that I am not a digital camera aficionado, and I know how seriously people take this subject, so I am not going to reel off lots of facts and figures - all the Amazon product information and Sony website information provides all you could want to know, without actually having to physically pick up the camera and start playing - and I highly recommend that you do go and try one out, it is sensational.

Why is this camera so good? Well, for me, there are several reasons; ease of use, build quality, high specification, quality of pictures - ultimately, I suppose it all boils down to picture quality.

For someone who has not owned an SLR camera for 15 years, this camera seems so far removed from my previous experience. It is comfortable in the hand and comparatively light to carry around. Everything is well thought out and laid out. The 3 inch swivel/tilt LCD screen is of excellent quality, showing all the info you require when selecting your shot. The menu system is simple enough to not need a user manual - I like the fact that when you move to a specific menu option, and leave it for a second, dynamic help text is shown to say what that option is for.

The specification speaks for itself, but it is how this is made available to the user that will decide whether or not it means anything. The various "core" settings allow for various levels of photographer experience; for beginners, there are 2 automatic options, one for allowing easy shooting without worrying about the subject or environment and one to allow a wider range of shooting settings; aperture priority, shutter priority or manual exposure are there for the more experienced; continuous priority, sweep shooting and scene selection are nice additions. Manual or automatic focus mode settings are available on the camera base and also the included 18-55mm lens. For movie capture, there is a single button to start/stop recording; the aperture and shutter speed are adjusted automatically and auto-focus is also enabled.

As couple of examples of how well thought out this product is, when using the LCD, you can swivel and tilt it so that the picture is upside down, but it recognises this, and flips the picture the right way up. Also, when you move your eye to the viewfinder, the LCD switches off automatically, and switches back on when you move back from the view finder. These attentions to detail are just some examples of what a good product this is.

Picture quality is excellent. I have been primarily shooting in 16.2 megapixel JPEG Fine format, although you can select different picture qualities and storage types; pure RAW, RAW + JPEG (save 1 image of each) or just a standard JPEG. The JPEG images I have created are of excellent quality. I cannot comment on the RAW images as I do not work using this, but for amateur and professional photographers, this is essential.

One other "nice" feature, with this camera, is that it is GPS enabled, which allows the GPS tagging of pictures, so that it will remember where the picture was taken (using triangulation from GPS satellites it uses GPS assist data that you can transfer to/from your PC)

My only very minor grumble is that for such pricey product, no memory card is included. I opted to buy the recommended high speed memory card (Sony 8 GB - Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo), so that I could shoot HD video. If you want to buy a mini HDMI cable to connect this to a TV etc., you will need to fork out another £20+ as well.

Overall, just brilliant - a 100% 5 star recommendation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, 12 Jan 2011
I've had this Camera for a few days now and its certainly everything it promised.
Apparently listed by Time Magazine in the top ten most significant technology developments of 2010(and the only Camera in the list).
Spot on mix of innovation, competence and usability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great SLR!, 17 Jan 2011
Phil (Loughborough, UK) - See all my reviews
Having received this camera at Christmas I have absolutely loved using this camera! So much better than my previous point and shoot!

Having had the privilage to borrow and use a few other SLRs; Sony A100, Canon 450D and a Canon 550D I can safely say it is a lot better and easier to use than the old Sony; it also can easily hold it's own against the Canons! If you're put off by the brand name, don't worry! Sony has made a camera as good as, if not better than the equivalent Canon, and with Sony G and Carl Zeiss lenses it's got some quality glass as well!

Overall this is a fantastic camera, with a much improved kit lens over the old 18-70mm that used to be provided with Sony cameras. It also has some great features that make it nice to use, such as the brilliant rotating display that is a joy to use, and the headline figure of 10 frames per second shooting!

Overall, a great DSLR, perfect for beginners and the experienced alike!

5.0 out of 5 stars Haven't considered Sony? Think again., 15 Jan 2011
SonicQuack (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Sony A55 markets itself squarely in the same space as the Canon 500D/550D and is definitely on par. A perfect starter DSLR the A55 has features to make stepping up in to more complex cameras a dream to use, with some clever technology which offers a wow factor. Sony are trying to impress as they attempt to make headway in this category and the A55 does just that.
The camera has relatively expert abilities with auto-focus, even when taking many frames per second due to Sony's own translucent mirror technology. The focussing is live through the digital viewfinder and is also used during HD video recording. With the movie mode some practice is required to prevent the AF from focussing on the centre of the picture when the subject moves left and right. This was also prevalent in the Canon 500D.
In low light the Sony captures good images, certainly better than the Canon, and the colouration was rich and not at all grainy. Overall quality of the photographs is excellent, as one would expect from a camera in this range. All the usual modes are present for going manual in preparation for various exposures, light, distance etc.

Some of the useful/interesting features are GPS tagging, on screen indicators for balance and altitude, auto-on for the viewfinder to conserve power (just look in to it to power it up), panoramic shooting (stitching) and fast shooting (10 frames per second).

It uses a lithium battery and includes a charger. It's not supplied with any case or an HDMI cable. The lens in the box is the standard focal length supplied with DSLR cameras (ie approximate to 3x optical zoom), however other lenses are available and a zoom lens is highly recommended.

I was looking to purchase a Canon 500/550D which could also shoot HD movies, however this Sony is better in low light, is more feature rich and makes it easier for first time DSLR users to get it right. The A55 is a highly recommended camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an excellent camera, 30 Dec 2013
Now im going to tell you about this camera from my ameture knowledge of cameras but 10 years of optical knowledge, i bought this as a present for my wife and spent weeks looking at reviews, spec sheets and so on.

The camera its self is small, light and looks professional. It also has a standard size bracket so you can get many lenses filters accessories etc.

The picture quality is outstanding, i was caught choosing between this and the Nikon 5100. Every review was telling me the Nikon 5100 was the camera you must by for entry level photography. Now whilst i researched these slr/slt's the reason all the reviews were saying this is because of the 20mp sensor that nikon has compered to the a55 16.2. I found this astonishing that so many so called tech experts would pick a camera over another because of a number.

Im not disregarding the Nikon 5100, it takes outstanding picture "for the money you can get 20mp" with lovely bright colours which you will not find anywhere unless you splash out $700-800. But how much is 3.8mp to the naked eye of a landscape/portrait photographer, abosolutly nothing. You would have to zoom in on each picture 10x to see a slight diference in pixalation and lets face it howmany times would you take a picture of a full landscape then zoom in on a sheep 400 meters away.

Then theres the frame rate sony destroys the nikon, thanks to sonys semi translusent mirror which is ingenious. What this means is, inside your dslr when you take a photo the mirror inside has to readjust to record the picture which slows down the frame rate so basically faster the mirror flicks higher the frame rate. With sony its semi translusent it does not have to move decreasing the amount of time it takes for the image to be recorded thus when taking a picture of a fast moving object it does it better, sharper and quicker.

Then there was the sensor size, sony a55 sensor is the bigger than the nikon 5100. This works on the basis of more light the sensor collects the better quality images you get in dull situations. Having a bigger sensor surface area allows the camera to collect more light from the image thus improving picture you dont want/cannot use flash on using astro photograpy as a good example of such situations.

then there was quite a big list of features the a55 had compared to the 5100, like the amount of focus points that sony can record at. The panaramic setting which the a55 has and 5100 does not, the the querky gps which tells you where the picture was taken plus many many more.

so in summery for very very good definition and colour choose the Nikon 5100, For very good picture definition and colour but can capture at higher speeds and better in dull light conditions with a host of added extra features and settings go for the Sony a55

hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Entry Level Camera, 14 Mar 2012
I have had this camera for over a year now, and I have really come to love it. The new technology in it impresses me every time and the pictures come out stunning. This camera doesn't really seem like a true SLR. Everything about it is digital- including the viewfinder (which takes a little getting used to) and gives you a very different experience if you were to use a competing Canon camera. At the time, you could not find a camera for this price that had full HD video, built in HDR, a pop out rotating lens, and its one of the lightest SLR's I've ever known.

The worst part about this camera is the maintenance. Every 8 months or so I begin to get dust build up on the actual mirror and I have to take it in. It costs me $55 to get it cleaned and even after what seems paranoid protection against the dust, its beginning to show up again. This shows as small dark or discolored dots on the picture and takes careful photoshopping to make them disappear.

Besides these minor problems, for the price it is an amazing camera and I would definitely recommend it.